• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Pooya

What those white panels that are just laying on the ground in some places do? I mean those with orange arrows that are very simple, not exactly a puzzle.

carlsojo

I thought I was done with Jungle spoilers
the birdcall puzzles but it only led to MORE. BIRDCALL. PUZZLES. FUCK YOU FUCK YOUUUUUUUUUU

I HATE these tetris puzzles. Hate them. I complete them and I don't even understand why! Ugh...hate that feeling.

What is the correct order to go in, or the best order? Someone told me one thing, and then a guide told me another.

I did:

Entry
2. Boathouse
3. Symmetry
4. Apples
5. Desert
6. Bunker
7. Keep
8. Monastery
9. Half of Quarry
10. Half of Swamp

Grinchy

Banned
Desert Ruins

Really not getting that hang of these reflective scratch puzzles. I'm in the water raising/lowering room and the third puzzle is just refusing to illuminate. There doesn't seem to be any real way of working out the light perspective, it's just trial and error. Really don't like that sort of puzzle design. All what I've done so far is very logic based, which I like.

That's where I'm at right now and it's hurting my head.

What those white panels that are just laying on the ground in some places do? I mean those with orange arrows that are very simple, not exactly a puzzle.

They are there to teach you how the orange arrows work. It's worthwhile to try every possible solution and figure out which ones fail.

Discovering those is probably one of the best moments in the game.

Here's a hint, though, if you really want it:
Press X.

You know I've done this but I just kinda brushed off the idea. It first popped into my head at the VERY beginning where the
first audio recording was and there was an orange pillow with lines.

Chopper

You know I've done this but I just kinda brushed off the idea. It first popped into my head at the VERY beginning where the
first audio recording was and there was an orange pillow with lines.
I must have missed this. Don't think I've found a single audio file.

Chopper

I just completed some puzzles near the first laser that involves tracing around rocks in the sea, but nothing 'unlocked'. Is that common?

Grinchy

Banned
This game is impossible without a pen and paper right?

I've hit a section where I wish I had some graph paper.

I started with graph paper. I moved on to cutting the pieces out of the paper and moving them around. I draw like a 4x4 square, mark the important squares, and then physically determine what orientations work with the cut out pieces and then come up with the correct pathing.

This game has me at the point where I have fucking tetris pieces littered around on my coffee table lol...

Its that room that got me there. Tell me which one specifically is stumping you guys.
I'm gonna fiddle with it some more. I'm really trying to avoid all outside info for now. I'm at like 280, +14 or something atm.

I started with graph paper. I moved on to cutting the pieces out of the paper and moving them around. I draw like a 4x4 square, mark the important squares, and then physically determine what orientations work with the cut out pieces and then come up with the correct pathing.

This game has me at the point where I have fucking tetris pieces littered around on my coffee table lol...

I'm gonna fiddle with it some more. I'm really trying to avoid all outside info for now. I'm at like 280, +14 or something atm.

I won't tell you how to work it, I'm just curious.

Nibel

Found my first + puzzle and my mind was blown.

Blow
EWmof.gif

Quonny

Well this game really isn't fun "playing" with someone else. Too many environmental puzzles and if you don't control the camera it's pretty boring.

I'm enjoying it on my own, though.

Just found my first + puzzle game at 38 puzzles solved. I had been glancing this thread and read people with 200+ puzzles solved and not one of them a + one so i'm quite surprised. Thought it would take longer.

It was the man reaching for the goblet one

Edit: question
why is the goblet + puzzle not doable? At least it seems not to be, the yellow wont let me continue the path.

Welp, I "beat" it.

Now to go stare at the monastery again. I haven't figured out any of those puzzles.

Edit: oh my god I'm a moron

I'm early on in like a sun (?) temple with some red hexagon puzzles. Fighting through. Finished the first 3 and have like 3 more and then a couple more underneath it looks like.

The tree puzzles before it were fun :)

I need an spoiler!

Can someone explain me the concept behind the triangle figures (the ones that appeared in those lost panels)? I've always solved them without having a clue of how they work and now I've some convoluted ones and had no idea what to do. I even solved one that showed me which mistakes I do but after I solved it I have no idea why it worked.

I need an spoiler!

Can someone explain me the concept behind the triangle figures (the ones that appeared in those lost panels)? I've always solved them without having a clue of how they work and now I've some convoluted ones and had no idea what to do. I even solved one that showed me which mistakes I do but after I solved it I have no idea why it worked.

Hint:
Why are there no squares with four triangles?

Answer:
The number of triangles in a square is the number of sides of that square you must pass with your line.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
504 +81

Fuck the music box. You gotta be fast as fuck and the game makes it a pain in the ass to even get to some of the panels.

Hint:
Why are there no squares with four triangles?

Answer:
The number of triangles in a square is the number of sides of that square you must pass with your line.

Do they unlock anything? They are always hidden in some bonus detours or hard to reach places.

Just finished the game :) so spoiler me.

Only after you get all 11 lasers.

Well I did that but haven't noticed anything special haha.

My write-up on the game:

Such a great experience. My stats:
437+38, all 11 lasers activated, 4/6 videos and a ton of audio logs (no idea how to check how many).
Somewhat proud that I didn't need help for any of the puzzles or even hints for the mechanics. Best way to experience the game. You can deduce all the rulesets by yourself, if anything you just have to advance in each area as far as you can to make sure you got everything (as well as try wrong solutions on purpose to test out the rules).
I was stuck so many times yet but thanks to the open nature of the game I could just do something else. Funny enough, whenever I came back to such a puzzle I would figure it out in minutes and feel like an idiot lol.

For assists, I only used the PS4 screenshot functionally as well as photoshop for
several of the "tetris" puzzles and a few color puzzles (town, mountain). Tetris ones were the only ones I didn't enjoy as much as the others because I actually needed to paint out the various possible rotations and shapes and that kinda destroys the flow.

I see a lot of comments here casually spoilering the mechanics. Please make sure to hide even the smallest detail, figuring the logic out is what this game is about and players will suffer greatly from getting spoiled on it. (because honestly most of the puzzles are really just applying these rules and that's not actually that exciting. You get those satisfying aha! moments from the rules, not from the actual puzzles.

Ending stuff:
Ending in the mountain felt like you would dig deep inside a person's (Blow?) mind. Which I guess is what the island might represent.

When the game restarted I thought it was just a trick, but I didn't find the secret room by myself. I was perplexed that it actually reset the puzzle counter as it's actually a new game but then I noticed that the statue in the lake was different. Decided to google at that point and started another new game to get into the secret room.
Btw, can you actually get in there from the start? Would be awesome if a new player randomly would trigger it.

The spa like stuff in and around the island, the company(?) logo and coupled with the ending video (oh look, a giant piss bottle :p ) make me thing the island=inside mind/dreams stuff as supposed to be some kind of virtual reality tech.

I want to get the last two videos I'm missing (the science ones strongly resonated with me as I have the same thoughts/opinions, similar feelings for the audio logs), I'm pretty sure one is inside the ship, but the door is guarded by the only puzzle I've not been able to solve so far. No idea about the other video.

I also don't know what the last trophy is but I want it for the platinum.
FYI, the current clear percentages for the different areas on PS4:

Symmetry: 67.5%
Keep: 29.0%
Desert Ruin: 28.7%
Shady Trees: 27.1%
Bunker: 20.8%
Monastery: 20.1%
Marsh: 17.1%
Quarry: 13.9%
Treehouses: 13.2%
Jungle: 12.6%
Town: 8.9%
Mountain: 4.5%

I'm actually surprised by the relatively high percentages, seems the game is currently selling to enthusiasts only?

Also, I didn't expect Treehouses to be so low on that list, I blew right through that area. Jungle I can understand that its "gimmick" might be tricky to get and implement. Quarry and Town are obvious because you need a lot of knowledge from the other areas.

Postgame question:
How do I get into the underground area (between the windmill and the desert ruins? There's also a gate in the swamp that possibly can be opened.

KDR_11k

Is it possible to get the first + puzzle without restarting? Or is that unnecessary anyway?

More specifically:
The gate that turns into the credits area, once it's powered down you cannot activate the shape anymore. Can you reactivate it somehow? I've seen it on an obelisk. Or is there no point in completing the obelisks?

I am hoping it is 1080p so I can go from PC to PS4, since it is running horrible on my PC, right now, and I don't want to wait for a patch. However, even Jonathan Blow doesn't remember if it is 900p.
It is funny that you only quote him instead of others whom clearly state that this game is running at 1080p/60fps on the PS4.

Stop spreading misinformation.

Sorry, old posts but I saw this was mentioned several times without any conclusion.

If you'd like to count the pixels by yourself, you can learn how to do so by checking out the article DF made about pixel counting here.

If not, you can compare the following shots from the PC/PS4-version and see the result of my own test. It's not a perfect method but it's generally a very good indication. The VG Tech-guy provided an album with the screens he used to count the pixels. A few lossless screenshots with a clear, horizontal line are needed for a reliable result.

Here's an example:

PS4 1080p, lossless, FXAA, 0xMSAA (?)

PC 1080p, lossless, FXAA, 0xMSAA

PS4 pixel-counting

PC pixel-counting

tl;dr: 900p on PS4

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Is it possible to get the first + puzzle without restarting? Or is that unnecessary anyway?

More specifically:
The gate that turns into the credits area, once it's powered down you cannot activate the shape anymore. Can you reactivate it somehow? I've seen it on an obelisk. Or is there no point in completing the obelisks?
It's possible to get later.

More specifically:

You can reactivate it. There is a solution key for how to do it hidden in the game. You can also activate it from a new game before you even open the gate the first time.

Soulflarz

Banned
agh
7 hr
uhm
4 lasers set
1 "off"

and 240ish puzzles in

am I making good time or am I on pace to finish this game in a month >__<

Top Bottom