• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Well, I'd hoped there would be some sort of new game plus where it just continued where I left off, but instead my only option was to restart the game, and the earliest save I have that's not at the very end, is over 100 puzzles away. Given that, along with what I've read about how challenging the last trophy is, I'm not sure if I will continue or restart.

How much elaboration or further explanation are we talking?

Don't let that stop you. You can continue from the save at the very end.

And you will, at least, find out what's really going on. And that does not require the last trophy.

Door behind monastery near bamboo

the blue door behind monastery that leads underground. I figure the path is found in the tree branches overlooking the door but I can't figure out which branches mark the route. Am I assuming correctly? Helpppp

You're assuming correctly.

if you need some direction:
check the tree roots on the right.

Don't let that stop you. You can continue from the save at the very end.

And you will, at least, find out what's really going on. And that does not require the last trophy.
Is it just setting up all the lasers or is there more to it?

Qblivion

I've been staring at this large panel at the top of the mountain for a while now. Still can't see any perspective that would work. :/

Dominator

Hmmm. Spent an hour and a half trying
"The Challenge"
(post-game) and I don't think like it.

It really feels like I'm just playing it until I get a perfect roll. It's not even that hard really, if I had an additional minute (give or take) I could do it much more easily, it's just too frequent that I run into a really hard panel and get roadblocked for too long and have to start over.

I really like the idea of the section but the way that the RNG works makes it pretty unenjoyable/frustrating at times. The puzzles seem to have too big of a range from ridiculously easy to quite hard. If they were all a more medium difficulty I think it would be a lot better. Also I'm salty because the timer just ended a run that I would have completed if it had lasted, like, two seconds longer.
Yep, I really want to complete it but I'm just so defeated. It's been a few days now and I still can't do it.

FHIZ

Finally beat the challenge... Stood up, realized my living area was covered in sheets of papers with insane looking scribbles on them.

Congratulations Blow, you win.

The top right one can only be the corner shape. Unfortunately this puzzle is exactly what it seems.
You should cut out the shapes with paper if you haven't already.

I think I'm at the same spot as you and I'm going to go ahead and say this isn't even almost the ending.

Thanks, i solved it 5 min after I gave up using that once piece. Took 2-3 hours total. Man it always looks simple once you solve it.

nib95

Banned
I've been staring at this large panel at the top of the mountain for a while now. Still can't see any perspective that would work. :/
The angles you need to view it from are roughly in line with the yellow locks at the corners. I believe there's three yellow clips attached to the panel, roughly angle yourself looking at the panel from each of these three points as a starting reference.

MBison

I think so. Somewhere on the right, I did it earlier today. There are only a few roots there that vaguely line up with the puzzle anyway.

I assume you're on the rock looking down?

Yeah there are basically four possible branch formations. Far left, center left, center right, far right. I can't seem to find a perspective that lines up good.

d00d3n

I'm not sure I understand that completely.

The goal is to separate black/white/colors in different areas using the lines you draw and edges of the puzzle as borders. I was trying to say that blocks of one color can be separated in several areas. For example, if you have 8 black blocks, 2 could go in on area, and 6 in another - they don't have to be enjoined.

eznark

Banned
Finished the game. Didn't get the last trophy. Guess I'll probably cheat to figure out where that is. Just not sure I want to wander around trying to figure it out, given how bad moving around is in this game.

All in all, it was a lot of fun.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Finished the game. Didn't get the last trophy. Guess I'll probably cheat to figure out where that is. Just not sure I want to wander around trying to figure it out, given how bad moving around is in this game.

All in all, it was a lot of fun.

good luck

MBison

Are there deeper meanings to the

dharma initiative videos :)

I just watched like 15 minutes of a guy
carrying a candle

amlabella

Does anyone know the sources for the six collectible things? Trying to be somewhat vague here since I don't want to spoil anything, but more specifically:

Does anyone know where each of the six videos come from? (The ones where you use the hexagon puzzle solutions under the windmill). I'm very curious who the woman in the sixth video is.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Calling it a night after besting the
color filter palace and activating that beam.

I feel like the odds are overwhelming that I'll never really be able to sure I've seen or done everything.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Well I had to force myself to stop playing just now.....at the pink trees puzzles.

Loving this game. As you get to more puzzles you really have to do some thinking. I dont know if this is cheating but I had to take pics of a few puzzles....lol.
The ones where the next set was the opposite version and one was upside down.

And the ones where the yellow line disappeared? wtf....

MBison

Can someone give a hint on the forest

i am assuming the bird chirp pitch is revealing to stay up or middle or down on the puzzle but I'm at the second one and it doesn't seem to follow that rule. It sounds like two like chips then two different pitches. But I tried every combo I thought. Any hints to the overall concepts?

Can someone give a hint on the forest

i am assuming the bird chirp pitch is revealing to stay up or middle or down on the puzzle but I'm at the second one and it doesn't seem to follow that rule. It sounds like two like chips then two different pitches. But I tried every combo I thought. Any hints to the overall concepts?
Sometimes it is not the sound you are thinking. If you are refering to the second tutorial puzzle then just Hum it out loud works best. Or take a pen and paper and mark dots to the pitches (is what I did).

MBison

Sometimes it is not the sound you are thinking. If you are refering to the second tutorial puzzle then just Hum it out loud works best. Or take a pen and paper and mark dots to the pitches (is what I did).

Heh I'm to the part with extra
sounds
. Sometimes it's not the
bird chirp? Heh

GhaleonEB

I had one mother of a "Eureka!" moment on how to get into the swamp earlier today, only to get stymied very early in the next series of puzzles.

Then I started cutting up my graph paper. Blowing through them now, but I keep having to cut out new shapes.... :lol

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CaG9Vk3UkAAlU4Z.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CaG9U4HUsAAt88-.jpg

(not spoilers)

Someone suggested something like this, or Legos, earlier. Some of these become kind of hilarious once you can physically arrange them, but I'd never have come close to the solution without something physical to manipulate.

Does anyone know the sources for the six collectible things? Trying to be somewhat vague here since I don't want to spoil anything, but more specifically:

Does anyone know where each of the six videos come from? (The ones where you use the hexagon puzzle solutions under the windmill). I'm very curious who the woman in the sixth video is.

Okay, I decided to get down to it and just make this list:
1. Connections, Season 1, Episode 10, narrated by James Burke: "Yesterday, Tomorrow and You" (1978)
2. Richard Feynman Messenger Lectures, Lecture 5: "The Distinction of Past and Future" (1964) / "The Pleasure of Finding Things Out", BBC Horizon interview with Richard Feynman (1981)
3. "Nostalghia", directed by Andrei Tarkovsky (1983)
4. "The Secret of Psalm 46", by Brian Moriarty (2002)
5. ????
6. "Simply Stop Looking", by Gangaji (????)

These are the results of my quick-and-dirty search. I can't match up video 5 by searching for the text.

Edit: Can't use a formatted list in spoiler tags.

MBison

I had one mother of a "Eureka!" moment on how to get into the swamp earlier today, only to get stymied very early in the next series of puzzles.

Then I started cutting up my graph paper. Blowing through them now, but I keep having to cut out new shapes.... :lol

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CaG9Vk3UkAAlU4Z.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CaG9U4HUsAAt88-.jpg

(not spoilers)

Someone suggested something like this, or Legos, earlier. Some of these become kind of hilarious once you can physically arrange them, but I'd never have come close to the solution without something physical to manipulate.

Heh I need to make that kit.

Top Bottom