• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Wok

I have solved every puzzle that I have written about yesterday (here and there), except for the boat.

This is the puzzle in picture:
Any vague hint?

Late/post game question:

If I enter the mountain and finish, will I still have access to the island with my progress? Or should I focus on the other puzzles first, if I wanna try to get everything?

You will be
able to reload the last save just before the ending, so that you can still explore.

Kaisos

Welp, beat the game, saw the hidden ending. Final count was something like 458+30 completed.

I'm... not -super- into doing anything more, especially for some of the more finicky + puzzles, until reliable guides come out. And uh, the very prospect of
The Challenge, what with randomized puzzles -on a time limit-
is probably turning me away from ever seriously attempting it, lol.

Still, very great, very interesting game.

Any vague hint?

Listen.

The first part
you can extrapolate from what you see on the edge of the middle

the last part
I just brute forced though, don't know how you're supposed to do it

Haha, yeah, I was gonna do this but I thought there must be something to use to figure it out.

You need to stand in another spot to see the last part. If I remember correctly it's sort of diagonally in front of the panel, on the left-hand side of it (your left). No need to brute-force it.

mclem

But the specific line he drew is the same as yours, yeah? Even if the panel pieces are wrong.
If you did something different, then yeah I guess there's multiple solutions.

Yeah, my solution was as follows, IIRC:

Code:
[spoiler]
##.##
##.##
#...#
##.##
.....[/spoiler]

(Basically, his solution puts all the tetris pieces in the middle, mine puts them all around the edge)

Wok

you need to do the jungle/bamboo area but even with that area complete its still difficult, i personally had to brute force it even though i knew what the puzzle needed.

vague hint
listen to the sounds

Thanks. I am going to try harder.
Sometimes, I feel like I am deaf: I cannot distinguish between sounds, the bamboo area got me ultra mad as soon as there were strictly more than 2 sounds.

mclem

http://imgur.com/a/xc66T

Uhhh. This isn't possible?

And I've finally unlocked the ability to complete the game! I did the sound and color one pretty well, I feel so smart.

That sound one was a bitch though...

It's very possible. Here's the thought processes you should go through. Stop when you get inspiration.

First:

There is absolutely no way that you can place the bottom-right tetris piece such that it overlaps its own marker

Second:

This should tell you that you need the left piece to overlap it

Third:

So you need to work with a single joined shape

Fourth

...which includes the marker in the bottom-left as well

Fifth:

So how can you use the two L-shapes - without rotating - to make a single shape that covers both those spots?

Thanks. I am going to try harder.
Sometimes, I feel like I am deaf: I cannot distinguish between sounds, the bamboo area got me ultra mad as soon as there were strictly more than 2 sounds.

it is a really hard one those
dots
can throw you off

brute force is as good as the
sound
approach

Robiin

Only the town left! Just solved one of the hardest yet simple-looking panels in the game so far for me (the blue panel with two 1x2 tetriminos and 1 black block in one corner with white blocks in the other corners. Made me feel good.

There is a tetris panel in the town that I need help with though. It is the first in a row of panels, and it has a
T-piece, and there are black dots you need to pass through everywhere.
Help please?

Image:

Basically, my thought process so far:
i meed to draw around the T-piece as to cross every black dot.
this means it must be in a corner at the start or at the end.

Stoze

Does anyone know the total number of puzzles? I'm currently at 519 +97 +1

I hit 522, and I can't think of anymore panels left in the game unless some more are unlocked by getting all the +puzzles or audio logs. Actually there might be one or two more I know of but I'd have to re-check a couple things.

Also, in regards to your +1...

Is that from getting the secret ending?

mclem

Only the town left! Just solved one of the hardest yet simple-looking panels in the game so far for me (the blue panel with two 1x2 tetriminos and 1 black block in one corner with white blocks in the other corners. Made me feel good.

There is a tetris panel in the town that I need help with though. It is the first in a row of panels, and it has a
T-piece, and there are black dots you need to pass through everywhere.
Help please?

Basically, my thought process so far:
i meed to draw around the T-piece as to cross every black dot.
this means it must be in a corner at the start or at the end.

This is from memory, so it may not be correct:

I don't think it has to be in the corner, but I do think it has to have one of the one-square sides connected to the edge of the grid (If the three-square side is, you're never going to get those two dots along the side)

Anyhow...

You don't have many options for where to put it, do you? I don't think it's rotatable.

Robiin

This is from memory, so it may not be correct:

I don't think it has to be in the corner, but I do think it has to have one of the one-square sides connected to the edge of the grid (If the three-square side is, you're never going to get those two dots along the side)

Anyhow...

You don't have many options for where to put it, do you? I don't think it's rotatable.
Thank you, you're the best! Just solved it! So obvious when it's done..

Edit: did the three ones after in rapid succession! The last one is trucky though. It's two |-shapes on opposite sides, rotatable. Not asking for help just yet, but this sure is hard...
EDIT2: I DID IT LET'S GO!

MaxiLive

I just can't figure out the Tetris puzzles X.x

I solve one set then the next set totally throws me off with a new rule that I can't figure out. I've spent like 2 hours in the same area and only solved 6 or so puzzles.

Maybe I should go explore somewhere else but I've seen so many tetris puzzles around the world so I would like to figure them out.

Stoze

It's for completing one of the obelisks that track hidden puzzles.

Ohh ok. Thought I may have missed something big. Yeah I'm like one or two away from completing a couple of them.

Also I just realized I may be able to raise my puzzle count at docks if those count, don't think I've taken off from every spot.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
How many
small panels with triangles on them
are there? Is there any way to know how many you've done?

Wok

you need to do the jungle/bamboo area but even with that area complete its still difficult, i personally had to brute force it even though i knew what the puzzle needed.

vague hint
listen to the sounds

it is a really hard one those
dots
can throw you off

brute force is as good as the
sound
approach

I had to resort to looking for
the actual sound sequences
on
. Despite trying to make sense out of it for an hour and a half, and focusing on your hints,
I even had the water sequence wrong. I am so deaf. WTF.

I think I could not have solved this puzzle any other way than brute force.

KeRaSh

Quoting for new page.

Also, am I supposed to figure out what all the symbols on some line puzzles are supposed to mean or is there an area that eases you into the mechanics that I missed?
I stumbled into an area with multiple symbols (not Tetris blocks) or 3+ different colors in the puzzles and I have absolutely no idea what I'm supposed to do.

Wok

Quoting for new page.

There is an area near the beginning of the game with mechanics that you cannot realistically know yet.
I suggest moving rather than OCD-ing everything the first time you see the puzzles.

Stoze

How many
small panels with triangles on them
are there? Is there any way to know how many you've done?

Not sure, but as regards to how many...

There is a way on the island to find out how many you've done and have left.

So I beat this game last night but I'm unsure about a couple things. End of game spoilers below:

Where should I spend my time? Should I go back to my pre-end save and solve all the puzzles there or is there something NEW about the game after the end? I don't want to go through everything all over again if I can help it. Without spoiling anything, is there anything substantially different about the world after the new game that would require my time spent doing all the puzzles over again?

Enjoyed of what I played so far. I just don't think I can complete this. I feel nauseated after every play through. Which sucks because the game has been amazing so far. It's just not worth going through that every time :/
Opt in for the beta patch named -future, they changed some things to mitigate the feel of motion sickness.

I am glad I gave Blow my 40$ but I am on the verge of just giving up and looking at tutorials. There are absolutely dozens of panels, like the tetris one's, which are absolutely impossible and I just do not have the time nor the patience to "learn" them.

This is nowhere near the same level as Myst or Portal where the average gamer can step in, put a little thought process in the game, and complete it without feeling overencumbered.

There's a difference between creating puzzles that actually make the gamer feel smart by scouring the environment, learning the process along the way or just by pushing out panels where the only focus lies on trial & error.

The Desert and Maze puzzles were one of the most amazing pieces of puzzle gaming I have witnessed for a very long time, but the majority of the game is just attacking the players mindset and basically saying "How long can you keep this up before you snap"

Screw the whole mystical Buddha message hidden beneath the game where it basically says "You might understand the puzzle, but you just do not see it"

No. Half of the time I just do not understand it. I do not consider myself an average gamer since I completed my fair share of puzzle games, but this is just getting borderline insane.

Stoze

So I beat this game last night but I'm unsure about a couple things. End of game spoilers below:

Where should I spend my time? Should I go back to my pre-end save and solve all the puzzles there or is there something NEW about the game after the end? I don't want to go through everything all over again if I can help it. Without spoiling anything, is there anything substantially different about the world after the new game that would require my time spent doing all the puzzles over again?

You should get all 11 lasers if you haven't yet, and then try and see if there's any areas you may have missed.

As for your end game stuff questions;
There is nothing new about the game, and you can get everything in your main save file.

wouwie

I'm currently at 250+3, 2 areas done. I'm stuck in almost every area now so progress has become very slow. The things i'm stuck on seem mostly solutions that i just don't see, no matter how much i revisit the scene or try to look at it in other ways (
e.g. The shadow tree forest where the brown plate is behind the panel instead of in front. The bird scene where you can't make the pattern it's singing due to the layout. The desert scene water raising/lowering area third or so panel where i can't see any difference in light on the panel, no matter what angle or height. The video panels in the windmill and the third maze in the monastery
). It feels as if i was to read the solution, i would have said to myself "i wouldn't have seen it, no matter how much time i spent on it".

Still, not ready to give up yet. There are still a few areas where i feel i can make progress. As long as i enjoy searching and playing, i'll try to remain spolier free for as long as possible.

Just a simple yes or no answer will suffice for this question It's about the beams of light.

You only need 7 to access the mountain. Does anything additional occur if you go for all 11?

Crispy75

I'm not reading a goddamn post in this thread, but just felt I had to post how good it felt when I realised
there's a whole load of meta-puzzles where you have to find a 0------- IN THE ACTUAL LANDSCAPE. I just went back to the start of the game to lol at the easy puzzles, went downstairs to the very first door and saw the forced perspective line up. FIREWORKS IN MY MIND MAN

This game :D

Stoze

I'm not reading a goddamn post in this thread, but just felt I had to post how good it felt when I realised
there's a whole load of meta-puzzles where you have to find a 0------- IN THE ACTUAL LANDSCAPE. I just went back to the start of the game to lol at the easy puzzles, went downstairs to the very first door and saw the forced perspective line up. FIREWORKS IN MY MIND MAN

This game :D

Yep. Honestly discovering it may be one of my favorite moments in a game, and I love that everyone experiences it differently.

I feel like the biggest piece of info that people are missing with the tetris pieces is that you can move where the actual piece is used. The block that has the tetris piece in it doesn't mean that piece has to be used there. As long as you still include that block you can use a different piece in that spot. Once you pick up on that those puzzles are a lot easier to grasp.

Side note: Is there a reason my Desert laser doesn't line up with the mountain? It's just heading off into the ocean.

Post game sequence question:
the ending sequence highlights a flickering candle in the lake. Is there any chance this could be Morse code?
I've been watching it for a little while now and there seems to be something very specific about its behaviour. feels intentional.

Hanmik

Has Blow talked about the final amount of Puzzles..? I remember reading
some months ago.. is that still the number..?

Aspiring

Ok i caved and need help. So far i have resisted the temptation and after around 2 hours i cant. Maybe i need a break i dont know.

But i am stuck on
the jungle trying to ipen the door that leads underground. I know that i have to match the branches up to reveal a path hut i just cant work it out. Maybe its because there are 4 there im not sure but ny brain just isnt working with this puzzle. Its weird because i found the monastery easy.

Any help would be appreciated.

cyba89

There's a difference between creating puzzles that actually make the gamer feel smart by scouring the environment, learning the process along the way or just by pushing out panels where the only focus lies on trial & error.

Puzzles rarely felt like trial & error to me. With the tetris panels it's a matter of pattern recognition and counting blocks more than anything else. Look at the height and width of the individual pieces and keep in mind tetrimons can never touch just diagonaly because then you're not able to draw a line around both.
The Witness is a challenging puzzle game, that's true, but the puzzles are not cheaply designed. The puzzles require a constant learning process and it's not a matter of "Do just the tutorial panels and then you can solve everything".

Only place that was a bit trial & error for me were
some of the later sound puzzles.
, but that's probably because I'm just bad at those and not because of puzzle design.

Stoze

The Desert and Maze puzzles were one of the most amazing pieces of puzzle gaming I have witnessed for a very long time, but the majority of the game is just attacking the players mindset and basically saying "How long can you keep this up before you snap"

The game isn't for everyone, and there are some concepts like the tetrominoes that can take time and patience to learn and master.

But if you genuinely think that about what you quoted, then I strongly encourage you to continue playing. The best part of the game is that you can just do other puzzles or explore more if you get stuck or frustrated. Also make sure you do the tutorial area before attempting puzzles like those. If you're getting significant trial and error in this game, it's likely because you haven't been taught what the mechanics are and the extent of them.

I feel like the biggest piece of info that people are missing with the tetris pieces is that you can move where the actual piece is used. The block that has the tetris piece in it doesn't mean that piece has to be used there. As long as you still include that block you can use a different piece in that spot. Once you pick up on that those puzzles are a lot easier to grasp.

Man... that's actually really helpful.

Post game sequence question:
the ending sequence highlights a flickering candle in the lake. Is there any chance this could be Morse code?
I've been watching it for a little while now and there seems to be something very specific about its behaviour. feels intentional.
I kind of assumed that it meant
you don't have all the lasers up? I only have 9 so I haven't tested the theory myself yet.

Mik2121

Loving all the puzzles except for the
sound
ones. Seriously, f
uck the chirps
, specially on the bamboo area where earlier
puzzles' chirps overlap with the one you're doing
. Ugh!

Hedrush

Is the game making anyone else motion sick? I'm only about an hour in and I can't play no more, it's affecting me pretty badly. Not felt like this since I played Doom

Loving all the puzzles except for the
sound
ones. Seriously, f
uck the chirps
, specially on the bamboo area where earlier
puzzles' chirps overlap with the one you're doing
. Ugh!

OH man, I've been
playing with the sound super low so i have been racking my brain with the sound ones, not getting the audio cues.

Top Bottom