• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Atrophis

I didnt say the game was easy FFS. I said Riven was harder because of the style of puzzle in that game.

Wow we got some music at last, kinda.

Atrophis

I'm 200 puzzles in and can't put any additional stats to it. Will I know, when the time comes? Is 200 puzzles solved too many solved with respect how I have no idea what that + is?

Don't worry, I think I was over 200 before finding my first + puzzle. Its better if you don't get told and find them for yourself, trust me :)

mclem

This puzzle in the town...

screenshot

!@@#$%%$!!!!
This looks trivial, and I don't recall having any difficulty with it at the time. I assume you know what the symbols mean, at least; if not, then don't attempt this yet.

Edit: Oops, I'd missed the top row. Yes, that one was a bit tougher, I apologise.

Start with
Planning how to lay out the tetris pieces
. There's a few choices, but bear in mind that whatever you do must:

* Encompass the entire top row
* Go all the way to the bottom
* Cover exactly two stars

That's a reasonable start point.

Wok

The interesting thing is that I found the
Tetris
puzzles fairly simple to understand. Solving them was another matter, but all the basic concepts, I felt, were very well-explained via the tutorial panels.

Interestingly, I am the opposite way: it took me like 10-15 hours to get the rule of these ones, but once I got it, I would just skim through all of them. I completed the swamp in 2 hours and just did some additional optional ones, but never got stuck too long.

mclem

Interestingly, I am the opposite way: it took me like 10-15 hours to get the rule of these ones, but once I got it, I would just skim through all of them. I completed the swamp in 2 hours and just did some additional optional ones, but never got stuck too long.

I took me a little less time than that (Completed Monastery and Marsh in one stint of around 2:30), so I'm not really saying that the solving was that demanding, just much less demanding than comprehending the rule!

What are these pannels on the ground with an orange "arrow" on them supposed to be? I have found and solved a few of them but they didn't really do anything.

hesido

Guys, how do you save to an extra slot? One of my plays branched to another save but I don't know how that happened?!

Whelp after trying the "Challenge" about 50 times and getting at the last two puzzles multiple times and running out of time I am about to give up......ugh. Now the music that plays makes me want to punch things.

Chopper

I don't really know what you mean by sidehouse. I started in the building on the left as you go down in there. It was pretty easy to figure out the first puzzle
lifted the ramp
and then there's your typical tutorial-style series of panels which I happened to solve the first two of and have no idea why they are valid solutions...
I'm stuck here too. I have no idea what I'm doing, although I did lift that ramp. Did you work it out?

Whelp after trying the "Challenge" about 50 times and getting at the last two puzzles multiple times and running out of time I am about to give up......ugh. Now the music that plays makes me want to punch things.

you could always cheat

I like that area a lot so I have tried to refrain from cheating

those puzzles do troll me though

mclem

I don't really know what you mean by sidehouse. I started in the building on the left as you go down in there. It was pretty easy to figure out the first puzzle
lifted the ramp
and then there's your typical tutorial-style series of panels which I happened to solve the first two of and have no idea why they are valid solutions...

I'm stuck here too. I have no idea what I'm doing, although I did lift that ramp. Did you work it out?

Study the first puzzle you mentioned, and try to understand why it worked.

The following indicates something about that puzzle:
Based on what you knew prior to now, it shouldn't have worked!

A further hint:
Notice the black dots. You don't go over them all. Yet the puzzle is valid. Why?

A further hint:
You may notice the 'wrong' black dot blink red briefly - that's standard practice if an element is incorrect - but then it vanishes. Why?

A further hint:
When the incorrect black dot vanishes, so does the new symbol

And an explicit explanation of the rule:
The new symbol rule is as follows: A segment containing the new symbol must contain precisely one mistake

nib95

Banned
I had one mother of a "Eureka!" moment on how to get into the swamp earlier today, only to get stymied very early in the next series of puzzles.

Then I started cutting up my graph paper. Blowing through them now, but I keep having to cut out new shapes.... :lol

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CaG9Vk3UkAAlU4Z.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CaG9U4HUsAAt88-.jpg

(not spoilers)

Someone suggested something like this, or Legos, earlier. Some of these become kind of hilarious once you can physically arrange them, but I'd never have come close to the solution without something physical to manipulate.

That's the best way tbh, otherwise it's too easy to lose exact positioning and placement from memory alone. Too many times I'd forget a particular shape was overlapping, or a particular thing wasn't properly lined up, till I started using graphs and grids in Photoshop. I just downloaded the relevant grid's and paint bucketed the blank squares accordingly lol.

Wok

When you talk about "Challenge", what is it? I got
491(+59) and all the 11 lasers and opened the hidden cave with all the bonus puzzles
, but did not get to see any
randomly generated puzzles from a challenge, except the two before the ending
. I actually thought doing them would lead me to
an alternate ending
, but nothing changed I think.

Goldrusher

When you talk about Challenge, what is it? I got
all the 11 lasers and opened the hidden cave with all the bonus puzzles
You have to find the
record player. Deep down in the caves. And activate it.

When you talk about "Challenge", what is it? I got
all the 11 lasers and opened the hidden cave with all the bonus puzzles
. I actually thought doing them would lead me to
an alternate ending
, but nothing changed I think.

they are not bonus they are practice test lol
the challenge area is hidden inside the hidden cave

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
What rule am I misremembering from the Treehouse?

http://i.imgur.com/GYt1UNi.jpg?1

Are you playing on Steam? I believe blow said if you opt into the "future" release option, they added something to stop motion sickness.

This was the last puzzle I attempted before going to bed. Something seems different about that that I do no understand.
Take a step back and think about it.

You may have more to learn.

Caught in this middle ground, don't want to go into the spoiler thread because there's a fair bit I don't understand but not sure what to discuss here.

Current status:
432+56
11 lasers up, 3 movies, only loose ends I know of are the tankers and the beach door and the stray panels. I know there is something under the windmill to explore and a tonne of hidden +1s

The game was satisfying to play I just don't feel any real.. motivation to continue. Probably says more about me than the game.
I guess the most demoralising part is not knowing how long I will be searching to make a new discovery. It could be 1 hour it could be 30 hours until the next breakthrough

Wok

Caught in this middle ground, don't want to go into the spoiler thread because there's a fair bit I don't understand but not sure what to discuss here.

Current status:
432+56
11 lasers up, 3 movies, only loose ends I know of are the tankers and the beach door and the stray panels. I know there is something under the windmill to explore and a tonne of hidden +1s

The game was satisfying to play I just don't feel any real.. motivation to continue. Probably says more about me than the game.
I guess the most demoralising part is not knowing how long I will be searching to make a new discovery. It could be 1 hour it could be 30 hours until the next breakthrough

Do something with
the lasers.

Current status:
432+56

If you need a place to get started:
there is something at the mountain you haven't activated yet.

I haven't picked this up yet but I'm interested. Is there a point to all of it? Is there a plot? I could see myself getting super irritated if I finished the game and it had no pay off at all.

rudds

Name 10 better posters this year
Post-endgame spoilers:

Well, I beat The Challenge! That was quite difficult. I didn't like the "running around a maze like an idiot looking for two triangle puzzles", which tends to take up anywhere from 30 seconds or 3 minutes, depending on the run, and necessitated numerous restarts. But man, it's not easy. You have to basically nail every puzzle, and even then, I only finished the final column puzzle with seconds to spare.

I'll finish out the last remaining puzzles in the underground area, but that's it. I rather enjoyed the GDC video...the only element of the entire game's narrative that I didn't roll my eyes at. It's clear it influenced Mr. Blow quite a bit.

Finally, uh...people kept talking about this "major spoiler" when reviews came out. I don't believe I ever ran into anything that could possibly qualify. What the hell were they all talking about?

Wait, are you saying you only have to solve
two of the triangle puzzles in that shitty maze room? I've given that challenge half a dozen runs and just solved two of them on my last try, and spent my remaining time running around looking for a third one. Figured there was no way they'd let you get out of there with less than three puzzles. Was I supposed to just move on?

I hate that goddamn room. The rest of the challenge feels fair, but that one is just shitty, frustrating guesswork.

On the section before that, where you have two sets of three puzzles and you can solve any one of them to continue: does it feel like only one of them is meant to be solved and the other two are red herrings? I feel like I always flip between the three until I find one that has an obvious solution; usually the other two seem too tricky to solve in the time limit (if they can be solved at all?).

Also I found the podium that looks like it'll have another hex pattern in it but instead has a triangle puzzle sketched out on paper. Should I know what I'm supposed to do with that, or have I missed something?

Question really early game:
Right outside the starting area there is a a little shed with 4 puzzles on it. Is there any point to these puzzles? I did them but nothing happens, I feel like the wooden floor should open up or something.

I haven't picked this up yet but I'm interested. Is there a point to all of it? Is there a plot? I could see myself getting super irritated if I finished the game and it had no pay off at all.

I haven't done everything but I'd say
you won't be satisfied by this game if you expect a story. It's more of a puzzle game with small bits of fleeting narrative clues.

Top Bottom