• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Robiin

Is the game making anyone else motion sick? I'm only about an hour in and I can't play no more, it's affecting me pretty badly. Not felt like this since I played Doom
Not me but many people have posted about this problem. It's probably due to the field of view combined with not having a fixated centerpoint like a crosshair or circle. Blow knows about it and have pushed a beta patch through Steam, I assume it's going to be updated on PS4 as well.

Is the game making anyone else motion sick? I'm only about an hour in and I can't play no more, it's affecting me pretty badly. Not felt like this since I played Doom
Are you playing on Steam? I believe blow said if you opt into the "future" release option, they added something to stop motion sickness.

What rule am I misremembering from the Treehouse?

http://i.imgur.com/GYt1UNi.jpg?1
This was the last puzzle I attempted before going to bed. Something seems different about that that I do no understand.

Goldrusher

What rule am I misremembering from the Treehouse?

http://i.imgur.com/GYt1UNi.jpg?1
Have you been to the Bunker yet?

I see the wood planks blocking certain dots if I step back, but I can't seem to solve it based on that. Am I on the right track?

Sort of... you're on the right track in the sense that
you need to step away from the panel to see the solution, but it has nothing to do with the wooden structure. You need to find something else...

Is this the one in town?
I am stuck on this one. I assume it's
color correction related like in the greenhouse, there's a building next to it with a yellow hue, but there's a difficult puzzle panel to get in there too.

Yeah I have to break out the graph paper for that one.

Yeah I have to break out the graph paper for that one.

That puzzle pissed me off for a while because I swear I solved it but it said it was wrong for some reason. I figured it out another way but I still contend my original solution was right as well.

Now I'm pissed at the puzzle behind that color door, because
I can't figure out how the sticks line up exactly. I feel like I should flip the puzzle because it looks like its on a broken door, but just haven't figured it out yet.

Hedrush

Not me but many people have posted about this problem. It's probably due to the field of view combined with not having a fixated centerpoint like a crosshair or circle. Blow knows about it and have pushed a beta patch through Steam, I assume it's going to be updated on PS4 as well.

Thank you the information, I'm glad it's not just me. Hopefully PS4 patch drops soon.

Are you playing on Steam? I believe blow said if you opt into the "future" release option, they added something to stop motion sickness.

This was the last puzzle I attempted before going to bed. Something seems different about that that I do no understand.

PS4 mate

I got use to it but I was also sick the first 40 minutes

the pink trees got me good and the orange tree areas too

I love vivid colors but those areas cause me to feel motion sick

this game with VR support will have stories ;P

Atrophis

Stuck on an endgame puzzle for about three hours now. Took me forever to figure out what the puzzle was actually asking me to do but even now I think I've thrown away my incorrect assumptions about what I need to do I just cannot find the solution. This is the first puzzle I've come close to giving up on. I've checked and double checked and then triple checked I haven't missed anything? I even found a couple of possible solutions that would be correct if this wasn't a symmetry panel. Fuck, I don't want to have to look up a solution or get hints for the first time in 30 hours :(

Hedrush

I got use to it but I was also sick the first 40 minutes

the pink trees got me good and the orange tree areas too

I love vivid colors but those areas cause me to feel motion sick

this game with VR support will have stories ;P

I played yesterday for an hour and had to turn it off. I put it on today and didn't even last 3 minutes. It affecting me really badly, I still feel the effects just now and I've had it turned off for nearly 40 minutes.

Stuck on an endgame puzzle for about three hours now. Took me forever to figure out what the puzzle was actually asking me to do but even now I think I've thrown away my incorrect assumptions about what I need to do I just cannot find the solution. This is the first puzzle I've come close to giving up on. I've checked and double checked and then triple checked I haven't missed anything? I even found a couple of possible solutions that would be correct if this wasn't a symmetry panel. Fuck. I don't want to have to look up a solution or get hints for the first time in 30 hours :(
If it's what I think it is and it sounds like it, it helps a ton to
cut out all the possible tetris pieces to create symmetry.

I played yesterday for an hour and had to turn it off. I put it on today and didn't even last 3 minutes. It affecting me really badly, I still feel the effects just now and I've had it turned off for nearly 40 minutes.
Someone earlier in the thread said that they placed a small sticker on the screen where a reticle would go and it helped a lot.

Stuck on an endgame puzzle for about three hours now. Took me forever to figure out what the puzzle was actually asking me to do but even now I think I've thrown away my incorrect assumptions about what I need to do I just cannot find the solution. This is the first puzzle I've come close to giving up on. I've checked and double checked and then triple checked I haven't missed anything? I even found a couple of possible solutions that would be correct if this wasn't a symmetry panel. Fuck, I don't want to have to look up a solution or get hints for the first time in 30 hours :(

if you feel it works as symmetry maybe it is

we cannot give a hint without a pic of it

Regarding motion sickness, what helped me was to sit a lot farther away from the screen than I usually do. Sometimes I need to get close to see some details properly, but when moving around a ton I make sure to sit far away from the screen and then I'm fine

yeah another thing that happens to me now is if I play too long my eyes put white dots where there are no dots so I screw up puzzles

this happens with puzzles I have to solve eh could be a spoiler just to say

'
challenge
'

Silly question, but when people are saying how many puzzles they have done, then + another number, what do they mean lol, is it the hours or something?

Silly question, but when people are saying how many puzzles they have done, then + another number, what do they mean lol, is it the hours or something?

What's the + number? Let's just say...secrets. It's hard to explain without giving it away and if you haven't gotten any yet you're probably not going to want it revealed. When it happens it's a big moment.

Hedrush

yeah another thing that happens to me now is if I play too long my eyes put white dots where there are no dots so I screw up puzzles

Haha I've not been able to play that long yet but I can imagine that happening lol

Hopefully a PS4 patch drops soon because I really want to play badly.

I am glad I gave Blow my 40$ but I am on the verge of just giving up and looking at tutorials. There are absolutely dozens of panels, like the tetris one's, which are absolutely impossible and I just do not have the time nor the patience to "learn" them.

This is nowhere near the same level as Myst or Portal where the average gamer can step in, put a little thought process in the game, and complete it without feeling overencumbered.

There's a difference between creating puzzles that actually make the gamer feel smart by scouring the environment, learning the process along the way or just by pushing out panels where the only focus lies on trial & error.

The Desert and Maze puzzles were one of the most amazing pieces of puzzle gaming I have witnessed for a very long time, but the majority of the game is just attacking the players mindset and basically saying "How long can you keep this up before you snap"

Screw the whole mystical Buddha message hidden beneath the game where it basically says "You might understand the puzzle, but you just do not see it"

No. Half of the time I just do not understand it. I do not consider myself an average gamer since I completed my fair share of puzzle games, but this is just getting borderline insane.

My guess is you missed some of the tutorial areas, maybe?

Is there somewhere where the actual triangles are explained? I thought I understood it, but the way I was doing it suddenly isn't working or is impossible.

Hanmik

the worst part (or actually the only bad part imo) is the color puzzles.. I'm fucking color blind... lol.. I had to look up the solution to several puzzles because I couldn´t find a pattern in the colors.. I asked Blow when the game released if there would be som probems for colorblind people, he never bothered to answer me.

Haha I've not been able to play that long yet but I can imagine that happening lol

Hopefully a PS4 patch drops soon because I really want to play badly.

I don't think they can patch the colors to help, a lot of color based puzzles that make the colors they use very important

I really doubt they can change much without messing up a large part of the game

You'll find out eventually.

What's the + number? Let's just say...secrets. It's hard to explain without giving it away and if you haven't gotten any yet you're probably not going to want it revealed. When it happens it's a big moment.

it is kind of a spoiler so wait until you get there

if you really need to know
plus come from solving black obelisk puzzles

You will find out in due time.

Ooooooooh this game man :)

Wok

Vague hint:
Check the number of squares per row and figure out something.

eznark

Banned
Thoughts after beating the game:

One of my favorite games of the last five years. Also, probably the dumbest overall story I've ever played. I think I preferred the first ending to the fucking retarded "jon Blow wakes up" FMV shit. Still, I consciously skipped pretty much all the story stuff and just enjoyed the fuck out of the puzzles. It was nice that he recognized not everyone wants to live up Jon Blows ass, and the high school level philosophy course was completely optional.

Also, I watched a video regarding how to get the last trophy. I had already found the area, but wasn't totally sure what it entailed. Uh.....yeah fuck off.

I already did that a long time ago but I'm just not seeing the solution :( Thought I'd spot it straight away once I did.

I don't want a hint! Just moaning lol.

EDIT: OMG I just got it. I feel so dumb.

this is what I love most about this game
I was stuck on 2 puzzles for days I even posted here twice asking for help

no one replied

then I solved both after days of trying they the solutions just took work

mclem

I am glad I gave Blow my 40$ but I am on the verge of just giving up and looking at tutorials. There are absolutely dozens of panels, like the tetris one's, which are absolutely impossible and I just do not have the time nor the patience to "learn" them.

The interesting thing is that I found the Tetris puzzles fairly simple to understand. Solving them was another matter, but all the basic concepts, I felt, were very well-explained via the tutorial panels.

This is nowhere near the same level as Myst or Portal where the average gamer can step in, put a little thought process in the game, and complete it without feeling overencumbered.

How's this any different from, say, the Riven Fire Marbles puzzle, which requires a few flashes of inspiration to solve? And in the Riven case, you're not given simple smaller versions to teach you the basic concepts on the way, either. Fire Marbles demands more leaps of mental faith for the player - with no feedback until the eventual solution - than The Witness does.

There's a difference between creating puzzles that actually make the gamer feel smart by scouring the environment, learning the process along the way or just by pushing out panels where the only focus lies on trial & error.

There were only a few moments where I felt I needed trial and error, and in all cases I believe that was intended - in each such situation there were only a few options to logically try. One was needed to correct my misinterpretation of a rule, but that, too, was designed to make it very easy to experiment, and very quick to inform you when you were correct with the redesigned rule - and the redesigned rule made perfect sense on top of that.

Regarding the Tetris puzzles specifically: At no point did I feel I had to flail around with various ideas. Generally I'd be able to figure out at least roughly where the Tetris pieces should be - there's enough hints around about how they behave that you should be able to exclude a fair number of wrong positions very quickly off the bat, particularly if viewed in conjunction with other symbols.

Basically, I think it comes down to this: (no direct spoilers, but a few words about how I think about various sorts of puzzle (Starter, Marsh, Quarry)):
These puzzles should be solved. That's not a case of running a path that tries to fit things in, and then keep retrying until you get one right. It's a case of studying the grid, eliminating clear wrong answers. If there's a black square next to a white square the line must always divide them up. If you're drawing a Tetris cluster, it needs to be attached to the edge of the grid, and that's where you need to start and end the line. If it's got a propeller, immediately start thinking about what symbol you want to exclude from the puzzle.

The clues are there to let you solve the puzzle, or at the very least start making an educated guess towards how the line will be laid out. The trick's into ekeing them out into a few first steps towards a solution.

I would also say that I think the rules are all very simple. The risk, though, is in coming up with the wrong rule, that's something that's quite likely to crop up in both Treehouses and Marsh. However, if you've been paying attention, you should absolutely register - with the first panels that demand it - that what you thought was the case was wrong due to the panels in question clearly being impossible based on that rule. When you know you're wrong, it's really not too hard to figure out what's right.

No. Half of the time I just do not understand it. I do not consider myself an average gamer since I completed my fair share of puzzle games, but this is just getting borderline insane.

Much as I'd like to believe I'm a superhuman ubergamer, I think I'm fully aware that that's not remotely true; I might talk a lot about puzzle design, but I'm not actually that good at them, lots of puzzle types defeat me, or cause me to spend hours on end of trial and error (Ironically, one such puzzle type is 'fitting polyominoes into a grid', much like Sigils of Elohim!). That's the thing that impressed me about The Witness, though: I found the puzzles really easy to understand. I found the rules quite well-defined, adequately explained by those tutorial panels, and consistent throughout (With one point where they throw a spanner in the works to challenge your perception of a rule, but it never actually contradicts previous behaviour).

Atrophis

People who think this game is harder than Riven are nuts. This game is mostly just working through the rules you know for each symbol and trying solutions. Riven takes a lot of work just to find the puzzles.

can you really be sure you are on the last puzzle?

spoiler tag you number please

378 +13
Just completed the giant puzzle at the bottom of the white room in the mountain.

Hah I thought I could cheat this next bit by pausing...damn you Blow! (the timed panels that change puzzles)

I could barely even make it through Myst, I feel like I'm just breezing through this game. But I don't really think they relate because they're really different types of puzzles just presented in the same kind of open environment.

I'm stuck
in the mountain on what I think is the final floor. It's right before glass doors.
Going to back at it after work/gym.

People who think this game is harder than Riven are nuts. This game is mostly just working through the rules you know for each symbol and trying solutions. Riven takes a lot of work just to find the puzzles.

why you had to go say that when I spent days looking for puzzles in this game?

I'm shocked you think all puzzles are easy to find

mclem

Is there somewhere where the actual triangles are explained? I thought I understood it, but the way I was doing it suddenly isn't working or is impossible.

There's assorted tutorial panels scattered around the island in fairly random areas. Actually, I was a little disappointed when I realised what it was, because
it's the same basic rule as a fairly well-established logic puzzle

How's this any different from, say, the Riven Fire Marbles puzzle, which requires a few flashes of inspiration to solve? And in the Riven case, you're not given simple smaller versions to teach you the basic concepts on the way, either. Fire Marbles demands more leaps of mental faith for the player - with no feedback until the eventual solution - than The Witness does.

Exactly, and the animals puzzle in Riven was even worse. And the first Myst game had the minecart labyrinth. If you went to that section too soon you wouldn't know how to interpret the sound cues and be stuck. The Witness is A LOT more accessible and fair, which is an important reason why I like it so much.

Atrophis

why you had to go say that when I spent days looking for puzzles in this game?

I'm shocked you think all puzzles are easy to find

I'm mainly talking about the normal puzzles, not the plus puzzles. The plus puzzles are a little closer to Myst and Riven as they require observation.

There's assorted tutorial panels scattered around the island in fairly random areas. Actually, I was a little disappointed when I realised what it was, because
it's the same basic rule as a fairly well-established logic puzzle

I feel like I've found a ton and that I had it resolved but apparently not.
At first I thought it was number of turns or sides I could make in the path. Now I'm on to thinking it's number of times I can touch that block. One triangle = One touch and so on? The first one worked for a while and now the second one works. So I guess I'll wait until this one gets disproved as well.

mclem

Exactly, and the animals puzzle in Riven was even worse. And the first Myst game had the minecart labyrinth. If you went to that section too soon you wouldn't know how to interpret the sound cues and be stuck. The Witness is A LOT more accessible and fair, which is an important reason why I like it so much.
Fun fact: I never spotted the sound cues.

I mapped the whole damn mine maze.

It's actually not all that large, but waiting for the fmv clips for each direction I tried was excruciating.

378 +13
Just completed the giant puzzle at the bottom of the white room in the mountain.

Hah I thought I could cheat this next bit by pausing...damn you Blow! (the timed panels that change puzzles)

yeah you can finish the game but sorry you are
very
very
far
from your last puzzle

and you said the game is easy

Fun fact: I never spotted the sound cues.

I mapped the whole damn mine maze.

Yeah, I thought I had to do that, and just gave up and looked the solution up because I didn't have the patience to map the maze. At no point in The Witness have I felt such frustration that I decided to just look up the solutions. (Not finished with the game yet though and yeah I do cheat a bit with plus puzzles, but they are just a nice a bonus and I just want to know where they are so I can appreciate how cleverly designed the world is a bit more.)

Top Bottom