• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Question really early game:
Right outside the starting area there is a a little shed with 4 puzzles on it. Is there any point to these puzzles? I did them but nothing happens, I feel like the wooden floor should open up or something.
The point is to teach you the rules for that type of puzzle.

eznark

Banned
Wait, are you saying you only have to solve
two of the triangle puzzles in that shitty maze room? I've given that challenge half a dozen runs and just solved two of them on my last try, and spent my remaining time running around looking for a third one. Figured there was no way they'd let you get out of there with less than three puzzles. Was I supposed to just move on?

I hate that goddamn room. The rest of the challenge feels fair, but that one is just shitty, frustrating guesswork.

On the section before that, where you have two sets of three puzzles and you can solve any one of them to continue: does it feel like only one of them is meant to be solved and the other two are red herrings? I feel like I always flip between the three until I find one that has an obvious solution; usually the other two seem too tricky to solve in the time limit (if they can be solved at all?).

Also I found the podium that looks like it'll have another hex pattern in it but instead has a triangle puzzle sketched out on paper. Should I know what I'm supposed to do with that, or have I missed something?

I really hope this is Breaking Brad content.

I tried it once. Fuck that.

motbob

Neo Member
rDnnf4K.png

Fan-made puzzles ahoy.

two of the triangle puzzles in that shitty maze room? I've given that challenge half a dozen runs and just solved two of them on my last try, and spent my remaining time running around looking for a third one. Figured there was no way they'd let you get out of there with less than three puzzles. Was I supposed to just move on?

I hate that goddamn room. The rest of the challenge feels fair, but that one is just shitty, frustrating guesswork.

On the section before that, where you have two sets of three puzzles and you can solve any one of them to continue: does it feel like only one of them is meant to be solved and the other two are red herrings? I feel like I always flip between the three until I find one that has an obvious solution; usually the other two seem too tricky to solve in the time limit (if they can be solved at all?).

Also I found the podium that looks like it'll have another hex pattern in it but instead has a triangle puzzle sketched out on paper. Should I know what I'm supposed to do with that, or have I missed something?

Spoiler on the maze part.

Brad there's a map of the maze that you have to solve prior to the maze part. It's the 4th puzzle.

As far as I'm aware only one of the 3 is solveable. The others are red herrings.

Paper spoiler.

The forcefield puzzle at the beginning is the same shape.

rudds

Name 10 better posters this year
I really hope this is Breaking Brad content.

I tried it once. Fuck that.

There's no way I'm going to try that thing with the added mental layer of "oh god people are watching don't screw up oh you screwed up."

Spoiler on the maze part.

Brad there's a map of the maze that you have to solve prior to the maze part. It's the 4th puzzle.

OK? I hope you aren't suggesting you have time to eyeball or take a picture of that thing and actually apply it in any practical way. Are
the puzzle locations not random
?

rudds

Nah, don't do it live. Record it! Let the world see your triumph.

There's no distinction. Knowing people will eventually watch the thing is just as nerve-wracking as knowing they're currently watching it.

There's no way I'm going to try that thing with the added mental layer of "oh god people are watching don't screw up oh you screwed up."

OK? I hope you aren't suggesting you have time to eyeball or take a picture of that thing and actually apply it in any practical way. Are
the puzzle locations not random
?

Yeah, I usually restarted if the maze looked horrible. Just hope for a somewhat simple looking one and try and remember it. I first started writing down the moves but it took too long ultimately.

Edit:
The 4th puzzle is always the maze map, you'll realize straight away now that you know.

The fourth puzzle on a big box is a map of the maze, including the location of the triangle puzzles. Take a picture!

In the sets of three, two are always unsolvable. One clue is that anything with a 2x2 pattern of alternating colors is automatically unsolvable.

As for the puzzle on paper, look for a matching panel just like you did with the hexes.

eznark

Banned
There's no distinction. Knowing people will eventually watch the thing is just as nerve-wracking as knowing they're currently watching it.

You can edit it down to 6 hours from the 25 it'll take!

the time limit totally fucks me. I was losing my mind at just the easy two random puzzles you need to hit on that door to finish the game. Got the first one on my first try before I realized what was happening...the second one took me like 30 minutes just because the timer/random element totally terrified me.

Some trophy site I read had a way to somewhat cheese that trophy, though it's still a nightmare not worth doing, imo.

mclem

rDnnf4K.png

Fan-made puzzles ahoy.

I'm already starting to pick out things of import there (I'm fairly certain I know a symbol that must be invalidated, for instance)

Edit: Nope! I'm wrong. It still might be invalidated, of course, but it doesn't have to be.

I want this in-engine, for testing purposes!

Beat the game last night. 438
+58
is the current tally. Literally had to pry myself away from playing this after spending almost the entire weekend plugging away at it. It's a brilliant game.

I just discovered the
area under the mountain
, but that's where I stopped for the night. I'm guessing this will answer the questions I've had about
some hidden area existing under most of the island. I've noticed pathways between the Windmill, Desert Ruins, and Marsh. Besides the video puzzles under the Windmill, I'm not sure how else I could reach those blocked off areas.
So that's my next order of business.

So outside of that area and the
+
puzzles, there are three, maybe four puzzles that I know of that still have me stumped. Two of them, I don't even know what I'm supposed to be doing as they are very different from everything else is the game (so far). The other one, I know what I need to do but I haven't been able to figure out how to do it. I thought I've solved it two different ways, but apparently not. The "maybe" one, I don't even know if it's a puzzle at all, but it seems too important to not be.

I'm proud to say I haven't looked anything up yet, and that's made the game super-enjoyable. There were several puzzles in the Town that I was beating my head against for days, but in a late night moment of clarity I knocked out several of them in a row. If those last couple still torment me, though, I'll definitely solicit this thread for some hints. Hopefully something in this next area will rattle something loose in my brain first!

Village question:

The room where you can change the three colors, am I trying to spot the squares that stay the same? This one is killing me.

Village question:

The room where you can change the three colors, am I trying to spot the squares the stay the same? This one is killing me.
On paper, try drawing each panel separately (under each different colored light). That should give you all the information you need to determine how the panel would look if all lights were on at once.

Granted, one of the two puzzle panels was still very difficult to solve even after I solved the color problem. But it was also 3 in the morning, and between my tired eyes and everything in the room being the same color, I might have made it out to be harder than it actually was. But I'm still pretty sure it was a legit tough puzzle.

Soulflarz

Banned
Since I know diff laser amounts
cause diff results if 7 vs 11

Do I go up there now that I have 7, or first get all 11 then look at it?

LPride

Banned
Can anyone give me some hints for the treehouses? I have activated every panel as far as I can tell, and I managed to get the drawbridge shortcut down (not that it matters because theres no path to it).

I must be missing panels to construct an alternate route to the laser? But I dont see any more panels anywhere.

Jimrpg

rDnnf4K.png

Fan-made puzzles ahoy.

Does end game get as hard as this? - if so... nope for me!

I'm about 138 puzzles in, and im feeling pretty good about it... about 7 hours in... so its probably going to take me 30 hours or so to get the ending.

The game gets easier... about mid game, when you either know you have enough information or not to solve a puzzle. The game does a good job making the tutorial panels dead easy so that if you stumble across something that can't be solved, the best bet is to find the corresponding tutorial panel. At least thats what it seems like for now. I don't know if that's the case for all types of puzzles. I haven't used any graph paper yet, but ive been tempted.

Can anyone give me some hints for the treehouses? I have activated every panel as far as I can tell, and I managed to get the drawbridge shortcut down (not that it matters because theres no path to it).

I must be missing panels to construct an alternate route to the laser? But I dont see any more panels anywhere.

Look for puzzles with multiple ending points.

Soulflarz

Banned
Either is fine.

I guess what I meant is is it a situation A turns into B or nah theres A then B is added so I don't inherently miss anything.

Does end game get as hard as this? - if so... nope for me!

I'm about 138 puzzles in, and im feeling pretty good about it... about 7 hours in... so its probably going to take me 30 hours or so to get the ending.

The game gets easier... about mid game, when you either know you have enough information or not to solve a puzzle. The game does a good job making the tutorial panels dead easy so that if you stumble across something that can't be solved, the best bet is to find the corresponding tutorial panel. At least thats what it seems like for now. I don't know if that's the case for all types of puzzles. I haven't used any graph paper yet, but ive been tempted.

Helll no. If it did that I'd shamelessly start to use a guide- I'm here to have fun, not get screwed over.

Well, unless that's like ending area, then I'd just deal with it because I'm so close to the end anyways.

collige

Banned

There are panels with multiple solutions

Wok

I have finally stumbled into the "Challenge" as people call it. I have found a piece of paper
with triangles (this one). I know how to solve it, but it is not a puzzle, it is a paper, so what? Should I use it for the "Challenge" or should I just keep it in mind until I stumble on the puzzle.

Edit: Or maybe it is what I think it is...

Edit2: Nope.

I guess what I meant is is it a situation A turns into B or nah theres A then B is added so I don't inherently miss anything.

Helll no. If it did that I'd shamelessly start to use a guide- I'm here to have fun, not get screwed over.

Well, unless that's like ending area, then I'd just deal with it because I'm so close to the end anyways.

It is added.

rudds

You can edit it down to 6 hours from the 25 it'll take!

the time limit totally fucks me. I was losing my mind at just the easy two random puzzles you need to hit on that door to finish the game. Got the first one on my first try before I realized what was happening...the second one took me like 30 minutes just because the timer/random element totally terrified me.

Some trophy site I read had a way to somewhat cheese that trophy, though it's still a nightmare not worth doing, imo.

I'm finding that two out of three times,
all the puzzles up to the maze room with the triangle puzzles are dead simple, but that third time even one of those trips me up enough that I just throw up my hands and restart. I'm terrified that there's a bunch more after the maze room because I'm going to have to shave a lot of time off my runs if so.

I'm finding that two out of three times,
all the puzzles up to the maze room with the triangle puzzles are dead simple, but that third time even one of those trips me up enough that I just throw up my hands and restart. I'm terrified that there's a bunch more after the maze room because I'm going to have to shave a lot of time off my runs if so.

Yeah, same experience here.

There's only
two more puzzles
after the maze room though. Once you're done that you're quite close. Personally I keep failing in that very last room which is frustrating.

On paper, try drawing each panel separately (under each different colored light). That should give you all the information you need to determine how the panel would look if all lights were on at once.

Granted, one of the two puzzle panels was still very difficult to solve even after I solved the color problem. But it was also 3 in the morning, and between my tired eyes and everything in the room being the same color, I might have made it out to be harder than it actually was. But I'm still pretty sure it was a legit tough puzzle.

This didn't work for me. I'm actually more confused than ever, hahaha.

Spoo

Stuck as fuck on
one of the "flashing" puzzles inside the mountain area (which I assume is the last area). I know I've figured out which pieces are what, and I know the rules, but my brain isn't coming up with solutions yet that work.

Anyone know how close to the end I am? I'm at like 357+5 or something.

Jimrpg

Cool. I'd seen posts from others, that the last few puzzles were hard!

I watched my brother play it from the beginning tonight for a couple of hours. A few people said they wished they could play it all over again, but watching someone else play it fresh is a good alternative. He was trying so many different strategies, it was interesting to see someone's mind work through the puzzles in a different way and their interpretation. I think John Blow's done a stellar job communicating the rules without writing anything down in text. It's totally reasonable that not everyone gets the game, but it seems that most of the puzzles are logical to follow. There are some leaps of faith and I think people are going to get stuck in some places, but I think in general he makes it clear when the player needs to think outside the box.

This didn't work for me. I'm actually more confused than ever, hahaha.
Basically, if a shape is consistently black or white under all three lights, then it is safe to assume that shape is either black or white. That's the easy part.

Then, there are some shapes that differ across the three lights. Say, it shows up as Black when under red or green light, but white when under blue light. You don't actually need to know what color it is, but it is safe to assume that all shapes that have this same behavior are the same color. That's the important part.

Then use these rules to come up with a composite panel. For example, I would just pencil in a "G" for the dots/stars that showed up as black under only green lighting.

Basically, if a shape is consistently black or white under all three lights, then it is safe to assume that shape is either black or white. That's the easy part.

Then, there are some shapes that differ across the three lights. Say, it shows up as Black when under red or green light, but white when under blue light. You don't actually need to know what color it is, but it is safe to assume that all shapes that have this same behavior are the same color. That's the important part.

Then use these rules to come up with a composite panel. For example, I would just pencil in a "G" for the dots/stars that showed up as black under only green lighting.

I didn't think there would be so many different color combinations. I got the puzzle on the right, now to the left.

I didn't think there would be so many different color combinations. I got the puzzle on the right, now to the left.
Ha! That's pretty funny because I got the one on the left almost immediately, but the one on the right took me a while. But again, it was late...

Wok

Ha! That's pretty funny because I got the one on the left almost immediately, but the one on the right took me a while. But again, it was late...

Same. I got the one on the right the next day when I woke up, I somehow knew what to do while in bed.

Exuro

Quoting my self to see if anyone has any clue.
I'm pretty sure it
does absolutely nothing. I did that after finishing the game and didn't notice any differences. There's a lot of puzzles that don't seem to do/unlock anything.

I've had all of those doors open prior to figuring those panels out along with the laser already activated.
Hmm, maybe nothing, then? There have definitely been a few puzzles in the game that only serve as part of the overall completion total.

Unless I missed the same thing you are, haha.

EDIT: Now that I think back on it, I recall not hearing any unlocking sound after finishing those. Yeah, I'm pretty sure it doesn't unlock anything.

Quoting my self to see if anyone has any clue.

I think those two panels are just bonus for completionists. Or they are required to unlock the super super secret ending/area no one has found yet...who knows.
In any case, switching on the red light
enables a + puzzle on the outside of the orange container.

Top Bottom