• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Dominator

Super spoiler puzzle don't click unless you've beaten the game...

http://imgur.com/a/REhqa

Ok, can someone help me with this? I'm going to have to post one more because there are two of them but I need massive help at the moment. I understand the concept but I can't think of a correct pattern for the life of me.

I'm still stuck at the bottom
of the mountain before the glass doors. I even figured out you can get different solutions to help find one that fits and I still can't do it.I've been stuck on this for over an hour and it's just so frustrating.

You might not be ready to solve it

Think
Symmetry

Also if you haven't made shapes to move around on paper or on the computer, now would be a good time to do that ;)

Another hint: Same rules apply for
the large puzzle icons as they do for small. Angled tetris blocks can be rotated, but none of the "solved" tetris puzzle blocks can be angled since they're on a grid. So plan your pieces accordingly.

Mindlog

Still stuck on this stupid pillar puzzle.

This is the best pattern I can find for this puzzle. I've circled in blue the two points that get missed. Even if you alter the pattern there is no way to cover all of the points. There is always two or more points missing. This is driving me nuts now. I don't think this puzzle is supposed to be considered particularity difficult so I must be missing something obvious. I can't see how you can fit any other stepped pattern in with better results.
That one was hard, but I was stuck on a different part of it for a little while.
Not an obvious hint. More like a general observation, but spoilered just in case.
Most of the puzzles down there are about first eliminating impossibilities.
That's a good general tip for the game that becomes really important later on ;]

Super spoiler puzzle don't click unless you've beaten the game...

http://imgur.com/a/REhqa

Ok, can someone help me with this? I'm going to have to post one more because there are two of them but I need massive help at the moment. I understand the concept but I can't think of a correct pattern for the life of me.

Right, up, swing around over the 3, under both 2s, go up and left between the top two rows, up before the 1, right and you're home free.

I'm still stuck at the bottom
of the mountain before the glass doors. I even figured out you can get different solutions to help find one that fits and I still can't do it.I've been stuck on this for over an hour and it's just so frustrating.
That was a really good puzzle. If you want a hint, these were the points I figured out that finally got me moving in the right direction:

1. Symmetry.
2. Separation.

mclem

Still stuck on this stupid pillar puzzle.

SZSHA01.jpg

This is the best pattern I can find for this puzzle. I've circled in blue the two points that get missed. Even if you alter the pattern there is no way to cover all of the points. There is always two or more points missing. This is driving me nuts now. I don't think this puzzle is supposed to be considered particularity difficult so I must be missing something obvious. I can't see how you can fit any other stepped pattern in with better results.

If you start from the point you're starting from, you will always miss either the point to the right or the point above; it's impossible to get both of those from that spot. You don't need the rest of the puzzle to see that!

Edit: Oh, or the one one to the right and two up from that start point. You could get those two points and miss that one. There's no way of getting all three from that start point.

Here's a broader suggestion for solving them:

There's a great many points on the grid there that have exactly one route in and exactly one route out. The line has to go through those in an obvious way, so you can fill them in first.. That might then give you further information you can work from...

Totally. And I probably realized it later than I should have, although it was still way before the mountain top. I think I had solved 250 or so panels before this revelation.

Pretty early in the game, I had noticed the big, elaborate black one in the town that you can view from the roof of one of the buildings. I just chalked it up to being a hint for a puzzle I'd enter into a panel somewhere nearby, and forgot about it.

It wasn't until I saw like 3 or 4 patterns while looking down from above the quarry that it hit me. It was a huge "holy shit" moment for me when I focused the cursor on one for the first time.

And I didn't know what all of those obelisks were for yet. It was an amazing moment of discovery.

It seems obvious in hindsight, but so do many of the puzzles in the game. That's part of the game's brilliance, getting you to believe everything is more complicated and difficult and look over the obvious answer right in front of you.

I just got lucky my wife happened to walk in at the right time. I had just started the game and we had been talking about things that looked interesting from the GB QL so when she came into the room I was pointing out two things that I thought were curious.
One happened to be the clouds just as you walk out of the tunnel that starts the game and if you look up the clouds just happen to line up with the wall there. I looked at it for a good hour and just thought it looked interesting. My wife just happened to ask if I could click it. Holy shit ensues.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
The reasoning is unfortunately very incorrect.

OBVIOUS HINT:
The black star likes the color to be similar.
VERY OBVIOUS HINT:
Pair the star with one square of the same color while following all other rulesets.

As a hint for the process of solving it:

When you try an answer, incorrect elements flash red.

Forget trying to solve the puzzle for now, and just try various approaches with the star to see if you can find what stops it flashing red when you enter the answer.

The rule for the star is very simple; it's just not necessarily the very simple rule you thought it was!

Did it now.

Ok this is the first time where things don't make sense at all for me.

Early panels show that 2 stars of the same color need to be paired with the opposite color. Next, there's one star. It'd be logical if I had to team him up with 2 color blocks (cut it in half), but it's just one. And not just that, but of the same color, the exact opposite of what was established in previous panels. Now immediately after this panel there's a 4 panel tutorial puzzle showing off what I just did before... in a more complex puzzle! If I didn't know any better, I'd think they mixed these two panels up, and the 4 panel one should've come first.

Like wtf. This was very weird.

mclem

Did it now.

Ok this is the first time where things don't make sense at all for me.

Early panels show that 2 stars of the same color need to be paired with the opposite color. Next, there's one star. It'd be logical if I had to team him up with 2 color blocks (cut it in half), but it's just one. And not just that, but of the same color, the exact opposite of what was established in previous panels. Now immediately after this panel there's a 4 panel tutorial puzzle showing off what I just did before... in a more complex puzzle! If I didn't know any better, I'd think they mixed these two panels up, and the 4 panel one should've come first.

Like wtf. This was very weird.

Okay, it looks like you made one essential mistake:

Early panels show that 2 stars of the same color need to be paired with the opposite color.

What made you think that?

The very earliest star panels only had one colour, didn't they?

Atrophis

If you start from the point you're starting from, you will always miss either the point to the right or the point above.

Yep, but I can't see any other pattern that fits better. I've tried a similar pattern starting from the left starting point and that always misses points too. So there must be a different pattern but no other that I have tried will fit in against the broken section.

I am already aware of what you just added in. Just drawing in those two lines that HAVE to be there, I cant make any other better pattern fit :(

mclem

Yep, but I can't see any other pattern that fits better. I've tried a similar pattern starting from the left starting point and that always misses points too. So there must be a different pattern but no other that I have tried will fit in against the broken section.

I am already aware of what you just added in. Just drawing in those two lines that HAVE to be there, I cant make any other better pattern fit :(

That should lead you to more lines that have to be there as well.

(But don't overdo it; make sure you stick with only marking those lines for now.)

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Okay, it looks like you made one essential mistake:

What made you think that?

The very earliest star panels only had one colour, didn't they?

Because of this puzzle, the one right before it:

http://i.imgur.com/rYSg3So.jpg

This solution works, going the other way and grouping them with black, doesn't. So I made the obvious conclusion that they needed to be grouped together with a different color than their own. I still don't see how it's not one of the rules. If color didn't matter, then why was going the other way around (grouping in black) the wrong solution?

Please explain where I'm going wrong, because that was the one rule I was 100% sure of looking at the early puzzles.

thefil

Does anyone have a picture of the beach door? I just had a thought about how I might solve it at work and can't wait to look at it again.

No trophies in the PC version, without this thread I wouldn't even know that there are 11. Probably some underground area.

Okay, a list in clockwise order around the starting point:

Symmetry: Dead center between two rows of panels on the left and right
Desert ruin: On the sand and activated when you come out of an elevator
Quarry: On top of the building
Shady trees: In an oubliette behind a double door with a tree on it
Keep: On the watchtower
Treehouse: In a treehouse
Marsh: Inside a tree stump behind a building in the red water
Bunker: On top of the bunker and activated when you come out of an elevator
Jungle: Behind the bamboo forest
Town: On top of the black tower
Monastery: In a structure behind the monastery

I finished the Witness yesterday, but I suspect there is some stuff I haven't seen yet. The problem is, I have no idea where to look! If there is more content in this game, could someone please nudge me in the right direction? Here's what I've completed so far:

POSTGAME SPOILERS

-I have solved 435 +64 puzzles. I have completed all areas (that I know of), found 11 hidden grey panels, and 4 hidden hexagon panels.
-I have seen the regular ending and the secret credits area ending.
-The only two puzzles I can think of that I haven't solved are; the puzzles in the soundproof room in the village, one of the panels on the doors to the theater room, and dozens of environmental puzzles

Thanks!

I think I need some more help, team. I've been looking around the mountain but I just don't know what to look for. Here's what I haven't solved yet:

POSTGAME SPOILERS

-I'm pretty sure there's one or multiple underground areas. There are tunnels connecting to the theater room and desert laser room, there's a catwalk above the theater, and I think I can see stairs behind a door in the village. I don't know how to access any of these. I can also see underground areas also on monitors in the mountain, and I can see some of it from the secret credits area.
-I haven't solved the panel in the soundproof room in the village. I hate sound puzzles.
-I haven't solved the panel in the big orange stranded cargo ship. I hate sound puzzles.
-I haven't solved the panel on the right door at the back of the theater room.
-At the top of the castle gardens tower, the puzzle on the hedge maze has two end points. I've only managed to solve the puzzle one way (trace the path you took through the hedge mazes).
-I don't know what's up with the river-shaped puzzle at the top of the mountain.

This solution works, going the other way and grouping them with black, doesn't. So I made the obvious conclusion that they needed to be grouped together with a different color than their own. I still don't see how it's not one of the rules. If color didn't matter, then why was going the other way around (grouping in black) the wrong solution?

You are answering your own question, but you haven't realized it yet.

This solution works, going the other way and grouping them with black, doesn't. So I made the obvious conclusion that they needed to be grouped together with a different color than their own. I still don't see how it's not one of the rules.

Pairs of stars can't be grouped with same-coloured symbols. Single stars MUST be paired with a single same-coloured symbol.

No trophies in the PC version, without this thread I wouldn't even know that there are 11. Probably some underground area.

Do these areas sound familiar?
Location spoilers:
Swamp/Marsh
Keep/Castle
Quarry/Sawmill
Shadow Forest
Monastery
Town
Treetops (Star puzzles)
Jungle
Bunker/Greenhouse
Symmetry Island
Desert Ruins

mclem

Hint:
Don't confuse 'can be' with 'has to be'

This is the explicit rule, but I'd urge you to muse on it more first.
A segment that contains a star must include exactly one symbol of the same colour

I said it was simple!

Exuro

I think I need some more help, team. I've been looking around the mountain but I just don't know what to look for. Here's what I'm stuck on:

POSTGAME SPOILERS

-I'm pretty sure there's one or multiple underground areas. There are tunnels connecting to the theater room and desert laser room, there's a catwalk above the theater, and I'm pretty sure there are stairs behind a door in the village. I don't know how to access any of these. I can also see underground areas also on monitors in the mountain, and I can see some of it from the secret credits area.
-I haven't solved the panel in the soundproof room in the village. I hate sound puzzles.
-I haven't solved the panel in the big orange stranded cargo ship. I hate sound puzzles.
-At the top of the castle gardens tower, the puzzle on the hedge maze has two end points. I've only managed to solve the puzzle one way (trace the path you took through the hedge mazes).
-I don't know what's up with the river-shaped puzzle at the top of the mountain.

None of those puzzles lead anywhere. You need to stick around the summit of the mountain

KDR_11k

Okay, a list in clockwise order around the starting point:

Symmetry: Dead center between two rows of panels on the left and right
Desert ruin: On the sand and activated when you come out of an elevator
Quarry: On top of the building
Shady trees: In an oubliette behind a double door with a tree on it
Keep: On the watchtower
Treehouse: In a treehouse
Marsh: Inside a tree stump behind a building in the red water
Bunker: On top of the bunker and activated when you come out of an elevator
Jungle: Behind the bamboo forest
Town: On top of the black tower
Monastery: In a structure behind the monastery

Argh, damn, I miscounted, guess I didn't see one of the lasers from where I stood. So yeah, I have all 11.
But I have only 3 of the videos and spotted some doors I can't open from the side I'm on.

I'm not at my pc, but I had a question about the second puzzle in the second room of the color house on the backside of the mountain if anyone remembers it.

Is there a rule I'm missing or something? I already know
that the colors need to be separated, they all don't need to be together in their groups, and that you look at the puzzle through the yellow glass.

Kaiken

Banned

I just went through the trophy list also because I'm missing one too. After figuring out which one I'm missing, I could of sworn I activated that area. Time to wait out work for another four hours to head back to that area and re-investigate.

I think I need some more help, team. I've been looking around the mountain but I just don't know what to look for. Here's what I haven't solved yet:

POSTGAME SPOILERS

-I'm pretty sure there's one or multiple underground areas. There are tunnels connecting to the theater room and desert laser room, there's a catwalk above the theater, and I think I can see stairs behind a door in the village. I don't know how to access any of these. I can also see underground areas also on monitors in the mountain, and I can see some of it from the secret credits area.
I hope this isn't too much of a giveaway, but:

This was how I discovered it: At the top of the mountain, I noticed something odd about what a pair of statues were holding. Something complete, but still incomplete. Something I wouldn't have noticed the first time I was up there.

Hopefully that helps. I'm trying to stay vague. ;)

mclem

I'm not at my pc, but I had a question about the second puzzle in the second room of the color house on the backside of the mountain if anyone remembers it.

that the colors need to be separated, they all don't need to be together in their groups, and that you look at the puzzle through the yellow glass.

Hint:
What you're seeing here is impossible.

Further hint:
You need something different in the mix.

You're not missing a rule, but you're missing something.

Hint:
Look around a bit more

Stronger hint:
Is yellow glass your only option?

Aces&Eights

Are there any other
glass panels
in that room? Hmmmm

None of those puzzles lead anywhere. You need to stick around the summit of the mountain

I hope this isn't too much of a giveaway, but:

This was how I discovered it: At the top of the mountain, I noticed something odd about what a pair of statues were holding. Something complete, but still incomplete. Something I wouldn't have noticed the first time I was up there.

Hopefully that helps. I'm trying to stay vague. ;)

Well, neither of you have to worry about giving anything away, because I'm just too blind to see it. Just to make sure were not having a misunderstanding, you're not talking about
the puzzle that opens the hatch to the inside of the mountain
, right?

EDIT: I think I got it!

KDR_11k

Damn it, I just triggered the end again to see if anything changed and of course the game quits after that. I try to restart it but Steam has found an update and it's not going to let me start it again until that's done...

Atrophis

That should lead you to more lines that have to be there as well.

(But don't overdo it; make sure you stick with only marking those lines for now.)

Fucking hell at last!

LOL did the last panel on the first go. Of course. This game.

Catvoca

Banned
So does the
Desert Temple laser
not count towards accessing the end of the game?I've completed 7 areas, but
that laser is pointing off out to see

So does the
Desert Temple laser
not count towards accessing the end of the game?I've completed 7 areas, but
that laser is pointing off out to see
Pointing you in the right direction would be, well, pointing you in the right direction. :)

Top Bottom