• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

This didn't work for me. I'm actually more confused than ever, hahaha.

What I did:
Draw the outline of both puzzles on paper. For each colour, write a 1 or 0 in the position of the symbol(Square or Star) on the grid, depending on if the symbol appears white or black. You can convert them to actual colours if you want, using a tool like this: http://www.w3schools.com/colors/colors_picker.asp Ex. Say you cycle through Red, Green and blue, in that order and get one colour as 110, go to the page I linked and punch in FF0 where it says "Enter a color" Click OK and it tells you that colour is Yellow

Clear as mud?

BeeDog

So, end/post-game question:

I saw some screenshot the other day of someone enabling a puzzle on the floor in the starting area. I'm there and I see I can draw an environmental line on the yellow flowers which should possibly lead to the actual floor, but I have no idea how to proceed.

Any hints?

mclem

Am I crazy when I spent my lunch break at work solving this shit?

Not my solution, but looks good.

(I liked my solution because it's actually kind of simple, aesthetically speaking:

Code:
[spoiler]+-+-+-+-+-+
|L L L L L
+-+ + + + +
  |
+ +-+-+ + +
     *|
+ + + + + +
      |
+-+-+ + + +
+ + +-+ + +[/spoiler]

mclem

Basically, if a shape is consistently black or white under all three lights, then it is safe to assume that shape is either black or white. That's the easy part.

Then, there are some shapes that differ across the three lights. Say, it shows up as Black when under red or green light, but white when under blue light. You don't actually need to know what color it is, but it is safe to assume that all shapes that have this same behavior are the same color. That's the important part.

Then use these rules to come up with a composite panel. For example, I would just pencil in a "G" for the dots/stars that showed up as black under only green lighting.

I charted all three colours, then used bitwise addition to give each an 'RGB'-esque value from 0-7. Then it was just a case of treating like numbers as like symbols

So, end/post-game question:

I saw some screenshot the other day of someone enabling a puzzle on the floor in the starting area. I'm there and I see I can draw an environmental line on the yellow flowers which should possibly lead to the actual floor, but I have no idea how to proceed.

Any hints?

To turn on the floor puzzle:
Pillar.
To enable the + puzzle:
Act dumb.

Robiin

Is it crazy that I know exactly what puzzle this is?
This game, man.... it does crazy things with your brain.

Not my solution, but looks good.

(I liked my solution because it's actually kind of simple, aesthetically speaking:

Code:
[spoiler]+-+-+-+-+-+
|L L L L L
+-+ + + + +
  |
+ +-+-+ + +
     *|
+ + + + + +
      |
+-+-+ + + +
+ + +-+ + +[/spoiler]

Can't believe there are actually multiple solutions. I have been staring at this panel for an hour before work and then half an hour during my break.

What I did:
Draw the outline of both puzzles on paper. For each colour, write a 1 or 0 in the position of the symbol(Square or Star) on the grid, depending on if the symbol appears white or black. You can convert them to actual colours if you want, using a tool like this: http://www.w3schools.com/colors/colors_picker.asp Ex. Say you cycle through Red, Green and blue, in that order and get one colour as 110, go to the page I linked and punch in FF0 where it says "Enter a color" Click OK and it tells you that colour is Yellow

Clear as mud?

I ended up doing something similar using MS Paint, haha. It worked though!

So Town is done...
And with that I have all 11 lasers.

This game, man.... it does crazy things with your brain.

Can't believe there are actually multiple solutions. I have been staring at this panel for an hour before work and then half an hour during my break.

That will probably be the puzzle from this game that sticks with me the most. It's one that seemed so hard while I was doing it, even had a solution I swore worked for a long while but then when I finally had one it then seemed obvious. This puzzle is just burned in my brain. Probably a lot of the ones in the village are.

I finished the Witness yesterday, but I suspect there is some stuff I haven't seen yet. The problem is, I have no idea where to look! If there is more content in this game, could someone please nudge me in the right direction? Here's what I've completed so far:

POSTGAME SPOILERS

-I have solved 435 +64 puzzles. I have completed all areas (that I know of), found 11 hidden grey panels, and 4 hidden hexagon panels.
-I have seen the regular ending and the secret credits area ending.
-The only two puzzles I can think of that I haven't solved are; the puzzles in the soundproof room in the village, one of the panels on the doors to the theater room, and dozens of environmental puzzles

Thanks!

Atrophis

Panel is driving me nuts and very dizzy. End game.

Third pillar on the right in the cove.

Well, I just don't see how a solution is possible. Unless I am missing some trick to these symbols which hasn't come up in any previous puzzle :/

The pattern with the broken lines mean you have to take a certain path to get them all but that doesn't leave enough space to get all the rest and make it out of the maze.

nib95

Banned
Panel is driving me nuts and very dizzy. End game.

Third pillar on the right in the cove.

Well, I just don't see how a solution is possible. Unless I am missing some trick to these symbols which hasn't come up in any previous puzzle :/

The pattern with the broken lines mean you have to take a certain path to get them all but that doesn't leave enough space to get all the rest and make it out of the maze.

Just circle around it and make a diagram of it on a piece of paper. Or download a grid with the same number of columns and rows, draw out the points, and then work it out in 2D fashion first. It's much easier that way. I guess a hint is that it requires the lines to look like sets of steps...

Robiin

That will probably be the puzzle from this game that sticks with me the most. It's one that seemed so hard while I was doing it, even had a solution I swore worked for a long while but then when I finally had one it then seemed obvious. This puzzle is just burned in my brain. Probably a lot of the ones in the village are.
The one so far that is burned into me so far is the blue panel on the orange container in the outside of the village (with one white and three black blocks, and two 2x1 tetriminos). It seems so easy, but is devious at the same time.

I finished the Witness yesterday, but I suspect there is some stuff I haven't seen yet. The problem is, I have no idea where to look! If there is more content in this game, could someone please nudge me in the right direction? Here's what I've completed so far:

POSTGAME SPOILERS

-I have solved 435 +64 puzzles. I have completed all areas (that I know of), found 11 hidden grey panels, and 4 hidden hexagon panels.
-The only two puzzles I can think of that I haven't solved are; the puzzles in the soundproof room in the village, one of the panels on the doors to the theater room, and dozens of environmental puzzles

Thanks!
Have you looked around the very top of the mountain at all? It might be worth a second look.

Wok

Man, that third
video..............
is an asshole.

Candle?

Long.... LOOOOOOONG...

Yeah, I laughed hysterically when I realized the patter shows a progress bar after it was already going forever.

This was actually good.
Very easy to recognize the director from the B&W into Color videos.

Wait for
the 5th
to see what long truly means.

POSTGAME SPOILERS

Thanks!

You are missing a ton according to your count of solved puzzles.

Genuine question:
Since you have already seen both endings, you should have 11 lasers, right? Or did you find the secret credits area without going through the place which I don't give a name to? In which case, do the mountain.

Also
how did you do the town without doing the soundproof puzzles?

Atrophis

Just circle around it and make a diagram of it on a piece of paper. Or download a grid with the same number of columns and rows, draw out the points, and then work it out in 2D fashion first. It's much easier that way. I guess a hint is that it requires the lines to look like sets of steps...

I've already drawn it out. I know only a step pattern will fit in due to the broken lines but it will always leave at least two points uncovered because they are impossible to get to with that pattern.

Brandwin

I played it a few times for a few hours and no issue, except Friday night, I started getting nauseated about 5 minutes in. I've never experienced that with a game before.

Stampy

Ugh, I solved the shortcut door between monastery and bambus forest by accident. What was the hint for solving that puzzle. My guess is it had something to do with
shadows
, but I am not completley sure.

Wok

Ugh, I solved the shortcut door between monastery and bambus forest by accident. What was the hint for solving that puzzle. My guess is it had something to do with
shadows

Nope.
It had to do with taking a few steps back to think again.

shadows
You're meant to solve it by
looking through the roots on the ledge above.

BeeDog

To turn on the floor puzzle:
Pillar.
To enable the + puzzle:
Act dumb.

Thank you!

Anyway, fighting the (big spoiler)
Challenge room. It's insanely hard getting a good run, either I lose too much time on the symmetry puzzle in the big cave, the fake screen puzzles, or mainly in that stupid labyrinth, GAH! I've only reached the pillars on one run, and there I lose the remainder of the time...

So when you finish 7 lasers, do you automatically go to the mountain or whatever, or can you finish all 11 lasers and then go to the mountain whenever you want.

You're meant to solve it by
looking through the roots on the ledge above.

Nah that's the puzzle that opens the
door to the cave
. He's talking about the shortcut.

The blatant answer to the shortcut:

Walk backwards along the path while facing the puzzle and you'll stumble upon the pattern.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Question about the marsh area:
once I've gone across the first little moving platform there's no way to return, right? I redid the puzzle and nothing moved. There's only two paths accessible from there and I haven't cracked their puzzles yet. I still wanted to explore a little! As of now I'm trapped in a pretty confined area until I solve the grids. No way out.

KDR_11k

Now I'm just meandering... I've got 10 lasers and can't find a single unsolved panel, in the last few hours I've found nothing except the occasional + puzzle. I know I have a tendency to run the same paths over and over again and missing something so now it feels like I'm just hoping for random chance to make me stumble over what's next.

So when you finish 7 lasers, do you automatically go to the mountain or whatever, or can you finish all 11 lasers and then go to the mountain whenever you want.

You can go whenever you want.

JesseZao

Got to "end game" yesterday. Now I go back and find everything I missed. Guess I should look for the "challenge" wherever that is, too.

Such a wonderful game.

Atrophis

Question about the marsh area:
once I've gone across the first little moving platform there's no way to return, right? I redid the puzzle and nothing moved. There's only two paths accessible from there and I haven't cracked their puzzles yet. I still wanted to explore a little! As of now I'm trapped in a pretty confined area until I solve the grids. No way out.

You can reverse the bridge with the correct pattern.

You are missing a ton according to your count of solved puzzles.

Genuine question:
Since you have already seen both endings, you should have 11 lasers, right? Or did you find the secret credits area without going through the place which I don't give a name to? In which case, do the mountain.

Also
how did you do the town without doing the soundproof puzzles?

Yep, 11 lasers. I solved the puzzles inside the mountain and in the cove. The regular ending dropped me back at the start of the game with all the puzzles 'de-solved', and there I found the entrance to the credits area.

The soundproof puzzle is not needed for climbing the central tower in the village and activating the laser. The cable from that puzzle connects to a raised ladder, so I assume solving the puzzle is going to lower that ladder.

Have you looked around the very top of the mountain at all? It might be worth a second look.

Hmmm, I have looked that area quite a bit (because what else was I supposed to do while listening to that astronaut's hour-long lecture). Now that I think about it, I never really got what that river-shaped panel was about.

Now I'm just meandering... I've got 10 lasers and can't find a single unsolved panel, in the last few hours I've found nothing except the occasional + puzzle. I know I have a tendency to run the same paths over and over again and missing something so now it feels like I'm just hoping for random chance to make me stumble over what's next.

Do you happen to know which laser you're missing based on the trophies?

Really? Did not know that. I've only just started collecting them, that'll come in handy.

I made a hunch when I was trying to find all of them on
the front of the Monastery and the Desert area. So going to look and counting kind of helped. Also the shape helped with the ones on the Monastery.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I was cruising through the treehouse, until I hit this twist:

http://i.imgur.com/xJRmIgD.jpg

I'd like it if someone could tell is my reasoning is correct, because the star seems very picky about who he hangs out with.
Before this, every puzzle had two stars. Now what if there's only one? The previous panels here show me that a) the black stars go with white and vice versa, b) the star needs to be surrounded by lines. I drew a straight line in the middle and got nothing, so he needs to be traced. I think this a rule when there's two as well, one of both needs tracing from 2 sides. c) I think he needs to be grouped with all the white dots, not just a few. I grouped him with two, still got an error. d) he can't be excluded.

So what I'm trying to do here is to a) keep him with the whites, seclude him from black AND make sure he gets traced. In this small grid, this looks harder than it seems.

I'm probably Pepe Silvia'ing and overthinking this one, but nothing seems to work here, which is weird in a grid this small.

BeeDog

I'd like it if someone could tell is my reasoning is correct, because the star seems very picky about who he hangs out with.
Before this, every puzzle had two stars. Now what if there's only one? The previous panels here show me that a) the black stars go with white and vice versa, b) the star needs to be surrounded by lines. I drew a straight line in the middle and got nothing, so he needs to be traced. I think this a rule when there's two as well, one of both needs tracing from 2 sides. c) I think he needs to be grouped with all the white dots, not just a few. I grouped him with two, still got an error. d) he can't be excluded.

So what I'm trying to do here is to a) keep him with the whites, seclude him from black AND make sure he gets traced. In this small grid, this looks harder than it seems.

I'm probably Pepe Silvia'ing and overthinking this one, but nothing seems to work here, which is weird in a grid this small.

The reasoning is unfortunately very incorrect.

OBVIOUS HINT:
The black star likes the color to be similar.
VERY OBVIOUS HINT:
Pair the star with one square of the same color while following all other rulesets.

You need to stand in another spot to see the last part. If I remember correctly it's sort of diagonally in front of the panel, on the left-hand side of it (your left). No need to brute-force it.

Cheers, I figured that was the case but tried sooo many places with no results that I gave up in the end because I was wasting my time not even knowing if I was on the right track - but knowing that it was the answer made me look harder, and that's another laser down!

Or up, whatever.

I'm still stuck at the bottom
of the mountain before the glass doors. I even figured out you can get different solutions to help find one that fits and I still can't do it.I've been stuck on this for over an hour and it's just so frustrating.

Yeah, this one has been bugging the crap out of me. I spent a good amount of time, just before going to be, trying to solve this thing.

You might not be ready to solve it

My god if you get all the way to that point and not know I can only imagine what it would be like making that realization.
Totally. And I probably realized it later than I should have, although it was still way before the mountain top. I think I had solved 250 or so panels before this revelation.

Pretty early in the game, I had noticed the big, elaborate black one in the town that you can view from the roof of one of the buildings. I just chalked it up to being a hint for a puzzle I'd enter into a panel somewhere nearby, and forgot about it.

It wasn't until I saw like 3 or 4 patterns while looking down from above the quarry that it hit me. It was a huge "holy shit" moment for me when I focused the cursor on one for the first time.

And I didn't know what all of those obelisks were for yet. It was an amazing moment of discovery.

It seems obvious in hindsight, but so do many of the puzzles in the game. That's part of the game's brilliance, getting you to believe everything is more complicated and difficult and look over the obvious answer right in front of you.

mclem

As a hint for the process of solving it:

When you try an answer, incorrect elements flash red.

Forget trying to solve the puzzle for now, and just try various approaches with the star to see if you can find what stops it flashing red when you enter the answer.

The rule for the star is very simple; it's just not necessarily the very simple rule you thought it was!

Atrophis

Still stuck on this stupid pillar puzzle.

SZSHA01.jpg

This is the best pattern I can find for this puzzle. I've circled in blue the two points that get missed. Even if you alter the pattern there is no way to cover all of the points. There is always two or more points missing. This is driving me nuts now. I don't think this puzzle is supposed to be considered particularity difficult so I must be missing something obvious. I can't see how you can fit any other stepped pattern in with better results.

Top Bottom