• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

jyoung188

Question about the
Keep
area.

Is there two ways to activate the laser? I went through the four hedge mazes first then went up the tower and activated the laser. Then I went back down and did the other side where you had to walk and light up the puzzle path on all four of those puzzles. Then I went back up to the tower and did the puzzle that looked over that area and nothing happened? Could I have done the walking light up side only and activated the laser? Or am I missing something?

Robiin

Question about the
Keep
area.

Is there two ways to activate the laser? I went through the four hedge mazes first then went up the tower and activated the laser. Then I went back down and did the other side where you had to walk and light up the puzzle path on all four of those puzzles. Then I went back up to the tower and did the puzzle that looked over that area and nothing happened? Could I have done the walking light up side only and activated the laser? Or am I missing something?
Yup, just an alernative way
to activate the laser.
Confused me too.

Atrophis

Shiiiiiit I finished a Blow game without looking up any solutions. Didn't think I'd manage it. Ok, I haven't really finished yet, not by a long shot, but I've done enough to see the ending. I think I know what Blow is going for with this game but I need to see more post endgame stuff to be sure.

Finally completed the game with
516+6_ completed
, completely on my own. What an utterly amazing game!
Last trophy spoiler: Look at this only if you have nearly 500 puzzles
Really! Secret challenge spoiler
The final challenge was fantastic, after hours and hours on the island all your puzzle skills tested. Although hard it's clearly not impossible, and a delightwith Grieg pushing you on! Very clever with the mechanic to let the player spot which of the three panels was solvable.

A few questions
- Does the orchard/organ area or the island with the cup statue near the town have anything to offer. Haven't even found an environmental puzzle there
- Dou you really have to listen to the entire 6th video? It's an hour long!
for the puzzle
- I would like some guidance on the ship puzzle, which sound is which would help. And do you need to do the dots separately, or the pink before the blacks?

tesqui

I solved the Ship Wreck puzzle on accident.. I don't know how to feel about this. On one hand I finally opened that stupid fucking door, but on the other I still feel clueless. Was it not the
droplets? I assume it was the loud creeky ship noises?

BeeDog

Finally completed the game with
516+6_ completed
, completely on my own. What an utterly amazing game!
Last trophy spoiler: Look at this only if you have nearly 500 puzzles
Really! Secret challenge spoiler
The final challenge was fantastic, after hours and hours on the island all your puzzle skills tested. Although hard it's clearly not impossible, and a delightwith Grieg pushing you on! Very clever with the mechanic to let the player spot which of the three panels was solvable.
[/spoiler]

May I ask what mechanic you're referring to? Need some minor help, that thing is killing me.

A few questions
- Does the orchard/organ area or the island with the cup statue near the town have anything to offer. Haven't even found an environmental puzzle there
- Dou you really have to listen to the entire 6th video? It's an hour long!
for the puzzle
- I would like some guidance on the ship puzzle, which sound is which would help. And do you need to do the dots separately, or the pink before the blacks?

First question:
I think I read that there are at least environmental puzzles, plus... you will see the cup statue again if you find one more thing.

Second question:
I haven't done it, but I suspect this is what people earlier in the thread were complaining about...

Third question:
You can match up the sounds unambiguously if you let them cycle all the way. And there is a reason why "before" or "after" are irrelevant here...

KDR_11k

I hope this isn't too much of a giveaway, but:

This was how I discovered it: At the top of the mountain, I noticed something odd about what a pair of statues were holding. Something complete, but still incomplete. Something I wouldn't have noticed the first time I was up there.

Hopefully that helps. I'm trying to stay vague. ;)

Thank youuuu, now I have more puzzles to solve. I'm a terrible explorer.

Mindlog

The last challenge spoiler.
I watched a video of someone else doing it and was annoyed with how slow they were going. On one of my first tries I thought I had to complete a third pillar.... Didn't know there was only two. Excited to get on in there later and seal the deal.

Reverend Funk

Comfy Penetration
I seriously cannot find
the challenge
I've gotten all the lasers already and even seen
the credits
what the hell am I missing??

May I ask what mechanic you're referring to? Need some minor help, that thing is killing me.
Are you on the last challenge. I don't know if mechanic was the right word, just a clever way to know if the player truly understands and ar familiar with how the solution would more or less look like.
But when I completed it I waited for all three panels to light up, if I didn't see the solution directly. Then I saw which of the screens had the colours grouped in a easy way. If that didn't help, I ruled out the one with a 2*2 section with different colours diagonally

BeeDog

Are you on the last challenge. I don't know if mechanic was the right word, just a clever way to know if the player truly understands and ar familiar with how the solution would more or less look like.
But when I completed it I waited for all three panels to light up, if I didn't see the solution directly. Then I saw which of the screens had the colours grouped in a easy way. If that didn't help, I ruled out the one with a 2*2 section with different colours diagonally

Thought there would be some subtle cue that one could pick up on, e.g. the order in which the screens light up or something. But still, that's good advice, thanks! May I also ask you if you have any suggestions for the labyrinth part? That's by far the worst time-sink.

Thought there would be some subtle cue that one could pick up on, e.g. the order in which the screens light up or something. But still, that's good advice, thanks! May I also ask you if you have any suggestions for the labyrinth part? That's by far the worst time-sink.
There is a simple way for you to see which way to go! In fact on your way there you already has solved which route to go and where to find the puzzles. Hope that helps!

http://www.develop-online.net/news/...id-sales-despite-high-level-of-piracy/0216119

So yeah new news or ?
“It's hard to talk about numbers without breaking NDAs, but The Witness is on track to sell more in a week than Braid sold in its first year, and Braid was a hit indie game,” Blow tweeted.

“Which is not to be too money-oriented, it's just great that we'll be able to make the next game at a comparable budget level (maybe bigger, we'll see!)”

Blow added that he has plans for a follow-up title – although he expects it to reach the light of day far quicker.

Anyone know how to get this environmental puzzle?

I know that when you are at a distance, the orange container inside the building lines up to fill in the circle and MOST of the line. But it's too far to the right toreach all the way to the goalpoint. I've tried staying on the boat as it is moving and wait for something to line up going in all possible directions, but that didn't work. I've tried different spots on land, but that didn't work. I even tried different spots on line while waiting for the empty boat to line up in between me and the line, but that doesn't work either, or I just haven't found the right spot yet. Does anyone know?

That has already been made into a thread

Exuro

I know that when you are at a distance, the orange container inside the building lines up to fill in the circle and MOST of the line. But it's too far to the right toreach all the way to the goalpoint. I've tried staying on the boat as it is moving and wait for something to line up going in all possible directions, but that didn't work. I've tried different spots on land, but that didn't work. I even tried different spots on line while waiting for the empty boat to line up in between me and the line, but that doesn't work either, or I just haven't found the right spot yet. Does anyone know?
I did it with the boat so try that again.

Spoo

Did it GAF! Finished at around 30 hours, with a final puzzle count of 385. Got stuck quite a bit on the last few puzzles, but pushed through it. Loved the game, and easily the best so far of 2016.

Easter Eggs or meaningful clues...? That is one of the questions that I think make this game wonderful. There are tons of little touches littered throughout the world, both visually and auditory that have me thinking of this. Then the game does things like
allowing you to paint the landscape to unlock the totems
which make you think that you can't take anything for granted.

All that being said there are a number of things I've noticed that I would like to ask the folks here about. If they allude to something more, or are only little flourishes. I'd prefer not to be spoiled about the former, but a small acknowledgement that there IS more behind the curtain for these things would be cool to know. They are below and spoiler tagged:

White daisies
I find these things everywhere and in somewhat meaningful places which makes me wonder about their significance. And example of an easy to find one is
in the village inside a ruined house and inside the fireplace. Sometimes they're paired, but mostly they're solitary.

Faint faint drone-like music
I found this one the other day in
the pottery barn, when you walk in.
and stood there for a good 5 minutes to make sure I wasn't going nuts. To make things even stranger
the vase that was raised up slightly more than the others seemed to be emitting the noise louder than the rest.

Bubbling rushing water and splashing
can be VERY prominently heard
by a large boulder right outside of the starting fort, at the entrance to the path around it's back at the cliffs edge.
What's weird here is that it very obviously
is coming from within this one rock, and NOT a general environmental sound. It quickly fades the second you begin to move away from that spot. And it sounds like it's coming form an enclosed space.

There's some weird shit going on here. The feeling of scratching the tip of the iceberg is strong with this game,
even after completing it

What if the orange container was a little longer?

All that being said there are a number of things I've noticed that I would like to ask the folks here about. If they allude to something more, or are only little flourishes. I'd prefer not to be spoiled about the former, but a small acknowledgement that there IS more behind the curtain for these things would be cool to know. They are below and spoiler tagged:

White daisies
I find these things everywhere and in somewhat meaningful places which makes me wonder about their significance. And example of an easy to find one is
in the village inside a ruined house and inside the fireplace. Sometimes they're paired, but mostly they're solitary.

I don't think anyone has any theories on these, but I'm very much interested in figuring out whether #1 in particular leads to anything. There is one that is so obscurely and deliberately hidden that I think it has to be trying to tell you something.

That has already been made into a thread

You have to be on a boat and you have to drive past the dock and keep going. So stop once you are in in the inner loop and then make the line draw through and up to the greenhouse area. I spent hours on it, hard to explain.

I just finished the game, then came into this thread, turned off basically all the spoiler tags and realised I was nowhere near done. :lol

I don't think anyone has any theories on these, but I'm very much interested in figuring out whether #1 in particular leads to anything. There is one that is so obscurely and deliberately hidden that I think it has to be trying to tell you something.

Right!! Not to mention the very in your face presentation of
the group of them by the windmill, in a very obvious X shape. But of course, pressing X (on PS4) does nothing.
There has to be something to these things.
I just don't know how to "collect" them
A lot of them
appear within a shadow.
Which may or may not have any significance.

Chopper

Study the first puzzle you mentioned, and try to understand why it worked.

The following indicates something about that puzzle:
Based on what you knew prior to now, it shouldn't have worked!

A further hint:
Notice the black dots. You don't go over them all. Yet the puzzle is valid. Why?

A further hint:
You may notice the 'wrong' black dot blink red briefly - that's standard practice if an element is incorrect - but then it vanishes. Why?

A further hint:
When the incorrect black dot vanishes, so does the new symbol

And an explicit explanation of the rule:
The new symbol rule is as follows: A segment containing the new symbol must contain precisely one mistake
Oh, for fuck sake.

Okay. Thanks for the info man.

There's some weird shit going on here. The feeling of scratching the tip of the iceberg is strong with this game,
even after completing it
I'm especially curious about the statues, and if something special can be derived with how you frame them in your field of view.

For example, from the right perspective you can line up a statue of a man in the marsh area to look like it's reaching his hand out for the huge female statue on the side of the mountain. When I lined them up, I expected to see a "+ puzzle" pattern in the background somewhere that I could draw, but I didn't notice anything.

Then there's a whole area of the island seemingly dedicated to only a statue of a man kneeling before a gold goblet.

I've got to believe that stuff is there for a reason, but what that reason is, I have no idea.

Ok, there's supposed to be another one close to the one I talked about above.
It's the one just above it on the obelisk. The top one on this
shitty offscreen picture

Anyone know where it is. I'm guessing it's a tricky one, because the guide I'm using (and which I'm ONLY using for the environmental puzzles btw) doesn't even acknowledge that it exists

mclem

White daisies

One particular thing I noticed about these:

Over by the windmill there's a group of these in a very clear 'X' design. I think you might need to get there round the back, via the orchard.

mclem

Ok, there's supposed to be another one close to the one I talked about above.
It's the one just above it on the obelisk. The top one on this
shitty offscreen picture

Anyone know where it is. I'm guessing it's a tricky one, because the guide I'm using (and which I'm ONLY using for the environmental puzzles btw) doesn't even acknowledge that it exists

Yeah, I was quite chuffed I found that.

A tip:
Ride the boat some more

What's the deal with tetraminos that are presented at a slight angle? Is this explained?

There's a tutorial somewhere that covers them.

They can be rotated.

What's the deal with tetraminos that are presented at a slight angle? Is this explained?
Yes, have you been to the March?

For a thought
What is your first thought when you see the angle

A clue
an angle is impossible, you must correct it.

More clue
You will never see a cube piece at an angle

Yet another clue
Is there multiple ways of "correcting" the angle

What to do
Freely rotate it to fit the puzzle.

Right!! Not to mention the very in your face presentation of
the group of them by the windmill, in a very obvious X shape. But of course, pressing X (on PS4) does nothing.
There has to be something to these things.
I just don't know how to "collect" them
A lot of them
appear within a shadow.
Which may or may not have any significance.

Do you know if
there's one in every area? I assume there would have to be, but I have only found them in symmetry, the town, the marsh, the mountain, and of course the windmill.

It's telling that
the one in symmetry is also the earliest in-your-face one. Like it's following the progression of difficulty.

I'm especially curious about the statues, and if something special can be derived with how you frame them in your field of view.

For example, from the right perspective you can line up a statue of a man in the marsh area to look like it's reaching his hand out for the huge female statue on the side of the mountain. When I lined them up, I expected to see a "+ puzzle" pattern in the background somewhere that I could draw, but I didn't notice anything.

Then there's a whole area of the island seemingly dedicated to only a statue of a man kneeling before a gold goblet.

I've got to believe that stuff is there for a reason, but what that reason is, I have no idea.

Somewhat related to that mystery is another one that I'm sure many probably noticed as well:
In the dojo, or ornate room with the big tree in the center, you can line up the holes in the back wall perfectly with figures in shadow (or was it light?) on the stone slab behind it (where the laser emits from)

There's also a tiny little
dog statue
that is by itself among some pillows off a beaten path with nothing around. There's also of course all the pillows, with a very particular pattern on them. The lounge location
on top of the ceiling of a room in the starting fort has a prism-like gem resting gently on one of it's pillows which makes me think of some sort of shrine business or something

Do you know if
there's one in every area? I assume there would have to be, but I have only found them in symmetry, the town, the marsh, the mountain, and of course the windmill.

It's telling that
the one in symmetry is also the earliest in-your-face one. Like it's following the progression of difficulty.

I'm 90% sure there's at least one in every area. I haven't systematically gone through, but I started to take notes of them after I noticed how common they were. I found one in the treehouse area and there's also one in the area with the tree shadow puzzles

mclem

Also of note with that:

The shadow of it - which is very prominent - appears to show him brandishing the goblet - in a sense the opposite of the tableau as viewed normally.

Top Bottom