• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

From the boat, sail towards the tutorial area. Watch the coast

(I assume I'm talking about the right one, admittedly. It's certainly in the same rough area.)

Hm maybe you are talking about the right one maybe not. (Spoilers for other environmental puzzles in the Area)
I have already gotten a few taking the boat in that direction. One going a long way atop the stone walls of the starting area, one which is a reflection in the water of that one. Anf one on some shrubbery growing on these walls.
Are you thinking about one of these or another one?

Did anyone understand them? I feel horrible for cheating but I wanted to smash my tv.

I liked them a lot. They were very easy for me. But I'm
musically trained, and have had to do a lot harder things than that as part of that training. I guess that's a problem with music or pitch puzzles in general. For someone who is musically trained, they are going to be peace of cake. For someone who is tone deaf or not trained it's going to be really hard. It's going to be the right level of challenging for only a very small amount of people (say for those who havr musical talent but no training)

Vexidus

I was stuck on a puzzle for over 30 mins last night and gave up since I had to get to bed. I felt defeated, thinking "this is it, I will need to start getting hints to complete this game".

Well I fired the game up and entered the game world right beside the same puzzle and figured I would give it another quick shot. And I solved it literally within a minute. What a rush seeing that door swing open.

This game is the best.

Croc

Banned
So, could someone just gimme a solution to this puzzle

img

It's in the mountain
in the caverns below
. I've solved all of the other ones around this area but I just really hate the color puzzles.

louiedog

So, could someone just gimme a solution to this puzzle

img

It's in the mountain
in the caverns below
. I've solved all of the other ones around this area but I just really hate the color puzzles.

If that's the one I think it is, try using continuous shooting mode on your phone if possible (often you just hold the shutter button down). You should be able to get a frame or two of it as a single background color, or at least close enough to make it easy.

JTripper

The
secret challenge trophy
is making me sick. It's all
luck based
and it clearly doesn't give you enough time, even if it thinks it does.

I need help on how to solve this
+ Puzzle in the Quarry

I found it but cannot figure out how to complete it as the circle moves too fast to complete the puzzle. I even tried the "speed up line" button. I can start it but it lasts 1 second.

Here is a picture I found on the internet to show the one I am talking about.https://i.imgur.com/IFHD9vH.jpg

Robiin

Finally got to the
mountain for the first time. I have all lasers pointing towards the top, and I have unfortunately read what I should do to "activate" the final sequence, but I'm deciding to just descend normally for now.
I was so happy to finally "complete" and open every door on the central tower in
town
. Been there a few times during my playthrough to see if I could solve anything but I always ended up facing a mechanic I didn't really understand yet. When I completed every other area I finally pushed through and it really put my understanding of every rule to the test. A few times I got stuck, but at least I knew I had the knowledge that I needed and my only excuse was me not seeing what needed to be seen. I even brought a photo of a panel that had been bugging me to work with cut out
tetris pieces
and a printed excel sheet. Felt so good to draw that line when I got home.

There were two puzzles in the
town
that I didn't get to solve.
Sound panels in a room with (seemingly) no sound.
What's up with that? Any pointers for those?

The puzzles in the Swamp and Treehouse were almost impossible but just wait until you reach the endgame.

That stuff is made out of puzzle horror. Horror I tell you. Horror....

Croc

Banned
If that's the one I think it is, try using continuous shooting mode on your phone if possible (often you just hold the shutter button down). You should be able to get a frame or two of it as a single background color, or at least close enough to make it easy.

I tried that and didn't notice anything.

I'm also needing tips on this one.

I've tried everything I can think of and nothing! And I thought it'd be a simple one at first too. It's also located
inside the mountain.

The puzzles in the Swamp and Treehouse were almost impossible but just wait until you reach the endgame.

That stuff is made out of puzzle horror. Horror I tell you. Horror....

I found the swamp and tree house easy. Have no clue what to do in the desert though.

Soulflarz

Banned
that final monestary puzzle was brutal. Didn't actually take long (longest I've been stuck was mapping the walk along ones for 20m lol, I dont even know how) but wasn't fun.
3 lasers to go.

GhaleonEB

Is there anyway to delete saves? Having two instead of just one is troubling my ocd.
I'm not sure if you can from the Witness UI, but you can delete them from the system (if on PSN, I assume same in PC though I would not know how).

I would advise against it, however. The reason for the split is to make sure you don't lose too much progress in case of something bad happening to your main / current save. On Twitter a few folks got stuck in geometry and could not get out, and Blow mentioned the risk of bugs like that are in part why the saves split - so you have a not-too-ancient fallback. Otherwise you'd have to restart (or wait for the patch that fixes it).

Croc

Banned
End-game questions (post-11 lasers):

Can I get a hint for this puzzle? http://i.imgur.com/jDJRuN1.png

Basically just let me know if I'm on the right track or I need a different solution.

I'm trying this http://i.imgur.com/IEeyv78.png but I can't get the right perspective.

Also can someone just PM me the answer to this puzzle? http://i.imgur.com/BdeRzAE.png A puzzle like that is too much work and not enough play imo.

If I'm remembering how it works right, your solution doesn't work because
it leaves an extra space in the middle where the beam is. You have it set up as if that beam is a free space but as far as I know it still counts.

mercviper

If I'm remembering how it works right, your solution doesn't work because
it leaves an extra space in the middle where the beam is. You have it set up as if that beam is a free space but as far as I know it still counts.

Oh that's mean. but it opens up other things! Thanks I think I can solve it now.

Feep

Banned
End-game questions (post-11 lasers):

Can I get a hint for this puzzle? http://i.imgur.com/jDJRuN1.png

Basically just let me know if I'm on the right track or I need a different solution.

I'm trying this http://i.imgur.com/IEeyv78.png but I can't get the right perspective.

Also can someone just PM me the answer to this puzzle? http://i.imgur.com/BdeRzAE.png A puzzle like that is too much work and not enough play imo.
Yeah, you're way overthinking this puzzle. The center in the middle is still a normal square; the column is only there to block perspective stuff.

Vexidus

I was frustrated with the hub town a long time ago (back in the "early days"), but coming back to it now after saving it for last has been great. It's like a greatest hits compilation and I'm having a blast!

These town puzzles are fucking devious. Good thing I'm doing them last, not like it seems you have any other option given how they combine all the mechanics

mclem

Hm maybe you are talking about the right one maybe not. (Spoilers for other environmental puzzles in the Area)
I have already gotten a few taking the boat in that direction. One going a long way atop the stone walls of the starting area, one which is a reflection in the water of that one. Anf one on some shrubbery growing on these walls.
Are you thinking about one of these or another one?

It's slightly dependent on whether I'm understanding you right, but I think it's another one.

Much closer to the dock than those two; mentioning heading towards the tutorial area is just setting off towards it.

that final monestary puzzle was brutal. Didn't actually take long (longest I've been stuck was mapping the walk along ones for 20m lol, I dont even know how) but wasn't fun.
3 lasers to go.
That puzzle was a load of shit.
I know we are supposed to be paying attention to our surroundings and all that, but nothing on that branch even leads you to believe that something was broken off.

That's one of the only puzzles I looked up the solution for and I don't feel bad about it either.

pupcoffee

46 panels done. Hoping these line mazes get replaced soon; they suck. The game is definitely way better when there's a mystery behind nature of the puzzles, when you're looking back at previous panels for clues about what their successes really meant.

mclem

There were two puzzles in the
town
that I didn't get to solve.
Sound panels in a room with (seemingly) no sound.
What's up with that? Any pointers for those?

Why not have a play with them?

I'm not quite sure this is correct, but I've discussed it with others and we think it's right based on our attempted solutions:

It's testing that you understand how the two sorts of panels relate to one another

And to expand on that:

The 'right' answer is to set the two panels so they represent the same thing. what that same thing is is up to you (within the scope of what's possible)

Again, that may be incorrect, but it seems to match the tests I've done.

mclem

I liked them a lot. They were very easy for me. But I'm
musically trained, and have had to do a lot harder things than that as part of that training. I guess that's a problem with music or pitch puzzles in general. For someone who is musically trained, they are going to be peace of cake. For someone who is tone deaf or not trained it's going to be really hard. It's going to be the right level of challenging for only a very small amount of people (say for those who havr musical talent but no training)

Interestingly, I didn't find them too bad on the whole, although two of them (
The last one in the second line; the last one of the flip-top floor
) I really struggled with, to the extent of
recording and slowing down the audio

Soulflarz

Banned
That puzzle was a load of shit.
I know we are supposed to be paying attention to our surroundings and all that, but nothing on that branch even leads you to believe that something was broken off.

That's one of the only puzzles I looked up the solution for and I don't feel bad about it either.

Fully disclosing- I asked a friend for a hint, cause that was BS

And that was BS from the guy in the ending area in sub 10hr without asking friends for hints.

Zekes!

I beat the game last night with all 11 lasers. I'm not going to lie, I used a guide for the later part of the game, mostly because I just wanted to be done with it. That was largely influenced by the motion sickness the game was giving me, which made trying to focus on coming up with solutions harder and harder.

I definitely regret not taking it slower with this game now that I'm done (still working on that last trophy though). That said, I really wish playing it didn't make me motion sick, which is a first for me.

Real awesome experience despite all that though.

Belfast

46 panels done. Hoping these line mazes get replaced soon. The game is definitely way better when there's mystery to the nature of the puzzles and you're looking back on previous panels for clues.

Don't count on it. Though they will get far more complex.

Top Bottom