• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Drac84

Loving the game, but had a question about resetting a certain puzzle. In
the Keep, in the second puzzle you have to walk over to illuminate the purple panels, I stuffed up and need to start again. How do I un-activate the ground panels I've already walked on?

Soulflarz

Banned
Loving the game, but had a question about resetting a certain puzzle. In
the Keep, in the second puzzle you have to walk over to illuminate the purple panels, I stuffed up and need to start again. How do I un-activate the ground panels I've already walked on?

Hit the line on the outer part of the puzzle panel

edit: whats the beeping sound i hear in the middle of random puzzles :X

champloo

Man this game can get really creepy and unsettling at times through its beautiful scenery.
I just came across these tree branches near the treehouses that
looks like a charred copse.. Made me wonder if all the people on the island had been turned into still objects. thinking about it always send chills up my spine..

Trojan

I'm tearing my hair out on
this final Challenge. It's not so much the puzzles being difficult, it's more that it's just so little time and each run is time-consuming. The only parts I struggle with the most are the pillar puzzles and an occasional random puzzle with a difficulty spike.

This is the only thing between me and a platinum trophy. Get out of my head, Blow!

champloo

Hit the line on the outer part of the puzzle panel

edit: whats the beeping sound i hear in the middle of random puzzles :X

I believe the beeping sound is the game telling you where on the panel the start or end points are. the nodes also blink while it beeps.

Ending spoilers:

I got the basic ending (from what I understand). Do you have to complete the extra puzzles in the cave to see actual credits?

Bowlie

Banned
Only three areas more and I guess I finish the game (ship, treehouses, town).

Can anyone tell me the locations for the (optional, kinda secret content)
hexagon drawings for the movies?

I found one near the beginning, one in the jungle and another in the desert. Assuming there are six, I've yet to find another three.

Thanks!

Maitiú

That puzzle was a load of shit.

The clue was that there was clearly missing information since you don't have a complete path. And you very likely already saw this "missing info" trick in the pink tree grove. I eventually asked "well where would that information be if it was lost? Oh wow, what do ya know?" I loved it.

Nzyme32

Only three areas more and I guess I finish the game (ship, treehouses, town).

Can anyone tell me the locations for the (optional, kinda secret content)
hexagon drawings for the movies?

I found one near the beginning, one in the jungle and another in the desert. Assuming there are six, I've yet to find another three.

Thanks!

Sunken ship has one. The other one is on the mountain and a final one is part of the final achievement, requiring all 11 lasers and an adventure through the areas that unlocks

Soulflarz

Banned
Not really a fan of how pixel perfect you have to stand sometimes. Kind of annoying.

Yeah, since it causes me to think I have it 1m in, then say I don't, then realize I did 5m later

I can't find out how to activate the puzzles
down the elevator in the mountain

edit:
oh
thats BS

Spoo

Havent beaten the game yet but how do you access that?

Full explanation, but no solution spoilers.

Basically, you need to get all 11 lasers, then investigate underneath the box that the lasers go into -- check underneath it. From there, go down all the way into the mountain and at the door before the final room with the statue sitting down with a puzzle, it should be accessible. Solve that, and it opens a cavern -- from there, solve a few puzzles and search around until you find a cylindrical puzzle with triangles. Solve that, and behind you there is a door. Solve that puzzle, go into the door, then explore a bit and you'll find a music box. Start the music box, and... good luck!

Zocano

The challenge is amazing and a wonderful test of skill. It's just a slightly different kind of skill that you'd only be able to have after everything that came before.

Hey guys. I'm stuck and don't know how to leave a certain area

I'm stuck in the colour marsh. I just did the puzzle for the lift to take me to the other side and I'm stuck on the tetris puzzle so I want to come back to them later but I don't know how to reverse the lift. Am I stuck?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Finally beat the challenge. Probably took 3 hours of playing to finally nail it. Oyyyy.

This final video is ridiculous. I'd skip it if I didn't notice the +1 accessible behind the screen.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Hey guys. I'm stuck and don't know how to leave a certain area

I'm stuck in the colour marsh. I just did the puzzle for the lift to take me to the other side and I'm stuck on the tetris puzzle so I want to come back to them later but I don't know how to reverse the lift. Am I stuck?
No.
Try to reverse what you did on the 'ferry' panel. The image you make with your line translates to what happens in the world.

HoodWinked

Finally beat the challenge. Probably took 3 hours of playing to finally nail it. Oyyyy.

This final video is ridiculous. I'd skip it if I didn't notice the +1 accessible behind the screen.

i thought that video was the only one thats actually worth sitting through.

Man I finally opened the door
at the top of the mountain

What a MASSIVE pain in the ass. Half an hour of switching in and out of puzzle mode and moving a centimeter.

Soulflarz

Banned
Man I finally opened the door
at the top of the mountain

What a MASSIVE pain in the ass. Half an hour of switching in and out of puzzle mode and moving a centimeter.

OH DONT WORRY
IT GETS WORSE ;__;

I got lucky I did that in like 10/15m

just solved the damn puzzle inside a symmetry puzzle

edit: LOL
it got worse again
bahahah
amazing

TTG

Decided to give in and look up what the rules were for blue squares with yellow tetris pieces.
Apparently how the blue squares are grouped or distributed makes no difference.

It's revealing a shortfall with the game. Understanding the rules should not be the bottleneck for any substantial amount of time, but unfortunately that is where about 90% of the frustration in this game lies(so far). As inelegant and insufferable as it would probably seem to Blow, instructions or at least somewhat redundant additional panels should be in the game. Look at the red
underground
area in the marsh. There's no way those first two panels do anything to help the player to decipher or intuit what the ground rules are. Same with the first time you see a block of blue squares.

Soulflarz

Banned
^yes learning rules is quite insufferable at times

I mean, I don't mind it, but I can completely understand why people who aren't hopping through this game...arent. You misunderstand one thing and you can be stuck there hours theoretically.

Anyways, final area!

JTripper

Well I'm not platinum-ing this game.
The secret challenge with the music box is fucking maddening. Fuck that shit. I even tried the screenshot/rest mode strategy and I still ran out of time.
This is completely ridiculous.

Ugh, I'm starting to think they made this game too long, or maybe it's my fault for finishing pretty much every puzzle I came across.

I just got to the point where I thought there would be a final puzzle and the game would be over, but NOPE, it's still going.

I loved finding out the interesting solutions to puzzles for the first 20 hours of the game or so, but all the areas that don't have a fun gimmick and are instead just harder versions of old puzzles or combinations of different types of puzzles I just lose all interest and if it takes me too long I'll typically just use a guide. Solving 5 grouping puzzle one after the other with something else mixed in just isn't really satisfying anymore.

Hopefully I get some new stuff before the end (my fault for doing the Town last which is more of a recap of challenges).

TheExodu5

Banned
Decided to give in and look up what the rules were for blue squares with yellow tetris pieces.
Apparently how the blue squares are grouped or distributed makes no difference.

It's revealing a shortfall with the game. Understanding the rules should not be the bottleneck for any substantial amount of time, but unfortunately that is where about 90% of the frustration in this game lies(so far). As inelegant and insufferable as it would probably seem to Blow, instructions or at least somewhat redundant additional panels should be in the game. Look at the red
underground
area in the marsh. There's no way those first two panels do anything to help the player to decipher or intuit what the ground rules are. Same with the first time you see a block of blue squares.

I'm of the opposite mindset.

Discovering the rules is the fun part to me.

Solving progressively complex and tiresome puzzles is not.

I had no trouble with the blue squares, personally.

Soulflarz

Banned
what the hell was
the secret ending

EDIT:
WELP
AUTOSAVE DIDNT WORK

rip progress, had fun, etc, etc, i guess im done with the game and googling the last things.

lionpants

What is the reward for completing the puzzles in the tri light orange shipping container in the town? I finally solved them but can't find what they unlocked.

Spoo

The challenge is amazing and a wonderful test of skill. It's just a slightly different kind of skill that you'd only be able to have after everything that came before.

Kinda feeling otherwise, but I'm probably just exhausted. Put like 14 hours into the game today :|

Got to the last fucking room, only to have the song cresendo and notice on either side of me two cylinder puzzles :(

I don't think it was a test of skill, it was a test of patience. You basically just tried over and over until
you got the right combination of puzzles where you didn't get stuck on anything. I ended up finishing it with probably 3 minutes left (Hall of the Mountain King had literally just started).
Most of my runs would end at either
a really bad symmetry puzzle, a really bad Tetris puzzle, or on the "pick one of three" puzzles.
If you run it enough times, you'll just find the right combination where everything clicks and you breeze through it. The only truly, consistently hard puzzles in the whole thing are the
final pillar puzzles, and that's primarily because there are only ~10 of them in the entire game so you aren't particularly practiced at at them and you can't get much time in on the ones in the challenge since they are the final puzzles

I don't think it was a test of skill, it was a test of patience. You basically just tried over and over until
you got the right combination of puzzles where you didn't get stuck on anything. I ended up finishing it with probably 3 minutes left (Hall of the Mountain King had literally just started).
Most of my runs would end at either
a really bad symmetry puzzle, a really bad Tetris puzzle, or on the "pick one of three" puzzles.

Man, that's fast compared to what I managed (
finishing on the last notes of Hall of the Mountain King, by luck
).

The thing is, the whole thing forced me to learn things about these puzzle types I didn't even figure out before.
I learned the logic of when you shouldn't cross the middle line (or the one before it) in symmetry puzzles. I learned how to spot unsolvable color division puzzles. I actually got to practice triangle puzzles for real.

I would say there are levels of skill at work here. Clearly you have more than me, based on that time. :)

TTG

I'm of the opposite mindset.

Discovering the rules is the fun part to me.

Solving progressively complex and tiresome puzzles is not.

I had no trouble with the blue squares, personally.

So, for you, the fun is looking at a Sudoku puzzle with no prior instruction, penciling stuff in until you figure out that each row, column, and 3x3 square must contain numbers 1 through 9 and never trying another Sudoku puzzle again.

These puzzles are getting progressively harder starting from a 8/10 on the difficulty scale already and I dont think Im even close to done

That+nipples+one+_52b20a88beea3e1a696169809547c4f9.png

edit: YUP IT GOT WORSE AGAIN

Top Bottom