• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

I would say there are levels of skill at work here. Clearly you have more than me, based on that time. :)

But that's what I'm saying: out of about 50 attempts, about half ended at
symmetry and tetris on the second set of 4
, another quarter on the
unsolvable trios
and a select few that actually made it to the
maze and pillars.
Then I had a run that just clicked and I didn't even slightly struggle with a single puzzle except maybe the
left pillar at the end

Mik2121

I know I'm probably just tired but this puzzle at the top of the
Keep is seriously making me want to punch the face of those white blocks and the 4 slots horizontal tetris piece

http://i.imgur.com/WPB4wVS.png

Closest I've gotten is this:

http://i.imgur.com/d4fqp6E.png

But it was obviously wrong. Argfhghh!

Edit: No solutions please, I'm just venting here. Some very vague hint appreciated though.

Edit 2:
I get that it's the exact same stuff as the puzzles at the bottom, I tried doing the layouts I did at the bottom but won't work because it doesn't seem to match some things anyway?

I feel like I'm in the minority, but the puzzles I had the worst time with were
the Monastery ones. It and the town were the only lasers I hadn't managed to activate by the time I finished the game. To be fair, a lot of that had to do with my stupidity with the bonsai tree.

My God this final level is seriously something else.

Couldn't help but laugh when I got to the puzzle that requires you to resolve the previous one and the current one at the same time.

, another quarter on the
unsolvable trios
maze and pillars.
Then I had a run that just clicked and I didn't even slightly struggle with a single puzzle except maybe the
left pillar at the end

Right. But on my best runs,
Mountain King is already playing in the maze at some point
. So there's still a difference of some kind. (Or maybe you're using the mouse and I'm not.)

The thing is,
I went from fearing the symmetry puzzle on every run to the point where it wasn't a problem anymore. Repeating it under pressure got me to the point where the solution was usually apparent - and I struggled for the longest time with the original symmetry puzzles.
Growth is possible, even here.

Hey guys. I'm stuck and don't know how to leave a certain area

I'm stuck in the colour marsh. I just did the puzzle for the lift to take me to the other side and I'm stuck on the tetris puzzle so I want to come back to them later but I don't know how to reverse the lift. Am I stuck?

Just to piggy back off this comment I'm actually trying to get through this portion for days and I still have no clue what I'm doing, could anyone give me any sort of hint?

just so we're on the same page I'm talking about the tetris puzzles with the red background

Getting a decent ways into the end game puzzles and the further I get the more accurate this becomes:

giphy.gif

I know I'm probably just tired but this puzzle at the top of the
Keep is seriously making me want to punch the face of those white blocks and the 4 slots horizontal tetris piece

http://i.imgur.com/WPB4wVS.png

Closest I've gotten is this:

http://i.imgur.com/d4fqp6E.png

But it was obviously wrong. Argfhghh!

Edit: No solutions please, I'm just venting here. Some very vague hint appreciated though.

Edit 2:
I get that it's the exact same stuff as the puzzles at the bottom, I tried doing the layouts I did at the bottom but won't work because it doesn't seem to match some things anyway?

I think you're very close, but you're probably too focused on the wrong issue
the biggest problem is to efficiently isolate the black and white dots and do it from the right direction

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
, another quarter on the
unsolvable trios
maze and pillars.
left pillar at the end

Hmm. I've only tried it once so far but
I comfortably got to the maze/wasn't sure what the hell to really do there. Wonder if I just got super lucky or not to make it that far.

Hopefully I don't have to bang my head on it too much, I know that final part will mess me up.

IEdit: No solutions please, I'm just venting here. Some very vague hint appreciated though.

Edit 2:

Don't touch the left half. That half is good.

Mik2121

I think you're very close, but you're probably too focused on the wrong issue
the biggest problem is to efficiently isolate the black and white dots and do it from the right direction

I've been drawing a ton of lines using Photoshop to isolate those fuckers, I just can't seem to find the correct way to do so while still being able to draw the 4 dots horizontal line :(

I went a long time into the game before resorting to looking up the solution but I finally caved.

Glad I did because even looking at it now, I still have no idea how they came to this conclusion!!!!!!!! First time I was stumped and I need to know the reason for this line before continuing.

Shadowing level:
tVPwiU.png

I can see the question mark shape in the bottom of course, but why avoid the light like it does? How does the top make sense.

Help!

Mik2121

I went a long time into the game before resorting to looking up the solution but I finally caved.

Glad I did because even looking at it now, I still have no idea how they came to this conclusion!!!!!!!! First time I was stumped and I need to know the reason for this line before continuing.

I can see the question mark shape in the bottom of course, but why avoid the light like it does? How does the top make sense.

Help!
You have to think of that puzzle as if all the shadows were shifted to the left 2 rows, then it makes sense.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Shadowing level:
tVPwiU.png

Help!

if you look more from the right it lines up and you can see that you can transpose the pattern from the left dot onto the right dot

Shadowing level:
tVPwiU.png

Help!

That puzzle and most of the rest of the shadow puzzles are predicated on the shadows being broken in some way. Either they are offset, or other stuff si in the way, or they are cut off in the middle. You generally have to think about transforming the light pattern from a particular projection onto another surface into a flat, 2D version of itself.

I've been drawing a ton of lines using Photoshop to isolate those fuckers, I just can't seem to find the correct way to do so while still being able to draw the 4 dots horizontal line :(

This is a slightly bigger hint
you can't have the 4 straight tetris piece in the place you keep putting it in, because it directly runs into the white dots and makes it almost impossible to efficiently isolate them

(Puzzle within the town area)

I'm having some trouble with
the puzzle on the yellow glass door.

I know that
the tilted tetris blocks means that they can be rotated and placed anywhere within an accommodating border and that the purple suns must be split into pairs
, but when I put in a solution that I think fits the criteria, the game says "nope" and doesn't give me more feedback :/

Can someone just confirm for me if I have the logic rules right?

I know that
the tilted tetris blocks means that they can be rotated and placed anywhere within an accommodating border and that the purple suns must be split into pairs
, but when I put in a solution that I think fits the criteria, the game says "nope" and doesn't give me more feedback :/

Can you post a picture of it? I can't remember what it looks like.

I know that

That's basically it. Double check your numbers.

I know that

I guess the only thing I can think of is
make sure you're not accidentally using a mirrored version of the tetris piece if you're doing all the rotating in your head and make sure that the block that contains the tetris piece isn't the extra one in the shape.

Thanks guys, I see the result but not the evidence to suggest it. Up until now there was always a clue for the reasoning but transposed two points to the right? How would I think of that? Fuck.

Thanks guys, I see the result but not the evidence to suggest it. Up until now there was always a clue for the reasoning but transposed two points to the right? How would I think of that? Fuck.

The two starting points, one offset by 2 spaces from the other, and the left hand side stuff being off the grid made me think to translate everything by 2. I think it's a fair puzzle.

I guess the only thing I can think of is
make sure you're not accidentally using a mirrored version of the tetris piece if you're doing all the rotating in your head and make sure that the block that contains the tetris piece isn't the extra one in the shape.

D: .... I'm dumb. That's what I was missing! Thank you!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Just found the
motorboat.
This is so awesome.

My nephew is gonna be able to play this and have all the exact same feelings I did while inching my way through Myst as a 10-year-old. It's almost bafflingly good.

I'm at 100 +1. Did I get this +1 for
noticing the sunlight line up on the egyptian brick-type wall while in the boat and drawing a line with that?

Just found the
motorboat.
This is so awesome.

My nephew is gonna be able to play this and have all the exact same feelings I did while inching my way through Myst as a 10-year-old. It's almost bafflingly good.

I'm at 100 +1. Did I get this +1 for
noticing the sunlight line up on the egyptian brick-type wall while in the boat and drawing a line with that?

Correct.

BeeDog

The challenge fucked me up so bad last night that I wasn't able to fall asleep easily. Was shifting in bed for what felt like an eternity thinking about it. So essentially, this game has destroyed the chance of me having a painless day at work today.

Fuck you, Blow. FUCK YOU.

joms5

376, +71 solved.

Still haven't decided to beat the game nor have I looked at a walkthrough or get hints or anything. The game is so satisfying when you take the time to work things through.

Having said that I am stuck at the
final bird puzzle before the wire goes into some rocks
and
in the travel container in town on the upper level. I've managed to get the room from blue to green but now i'm stumped.

Don't want help just wanted to see if anyone else had issues with these puzzles.

Do you think it's about time i beat the game and saw the ending? Am I missing much?

Grinchy

Banned
I finally figured out what was going on at The Bu
nker. Those damn colored squares had me scratching my head for way too long a few nights ago. I left and came back and pretty much discovered the trick immediately.

It's pretty awesome how you figure out one little thing and then you go back to another area and spot it being used again immediately. It's also intersting when something that stumps other people was easy for you and what you have trouble with, other people might pick up immediately.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I am now at the Challenge. How exactly does this work? Any rules aside from being extremely difficult?

Are you at the actual challenge or just the underground area?

For the challenge once you fill the line on the record player it'll light up a puzzle and you have a time limit to basically follow the wires and do puzzles, the end point is pretty clear.

BeeDog

I am now at the Challenge. How exactly does this work? Any rules aside from being extremely difficult?

No rules per se, aside from the following:

1. Start the turntable; the classical song playing is your timer.
2. Solve the three panels that light up. Straightforward.
3. Solve the next table panel, BUT (1) notice where the two yellow points are, and (2) take a note of the path through the maze.
4. Find the four panels in the cave area in the order that has been randomized for you. Straightforward but unlucky RNGs can fuck you up.
5. The next section is a bit tricky; only one of the three screens is solvable so you need to practice on your powers of deduction. Finding the first correct one lights up the second row of screens, following the same principle.
6. After that, enter the labyrinth, follow the same line as in step 3 and solve the two triangle puzzles at the locations where the two yellow dots were. By far the hardest part of this challenge.
7. After the labyrinth is finished, solve the two pillars. Easier said than done though, pray you have enough time for it.

DO NOTE, all puzzles that are failed on steps 1 - 6 get reset, so if you fail a puzzle, it's wise to just restart. When you reach step 7, you can fail as many times as you want on the pillars and they won't shut off.

Can someone explain me the color logic (CYMK or RGB) used in the puzzles pls?

Under a red light, symbols with a cyan component appear black, and all others white.
Under a green light, symbols with a magenta component appear black, and all others white.
Under a blue light, symbols with a yellow component appear black, and all others white.
Anything that's white under all three lights is actually white.

How do I go to the left or right exits on this one?

Spoilers for tree houses.

http://i.imgur.com/Meaffcb.jpg

Two stars always go in the "mouth" of the shape.

Are you at the actual challenge or just the underground area?

For the challenge once you fill the line on the record player it'll light up a puzzle and you have a time limit to basically follow the wires and do puzzles, the end point is pretty clear.

Ah, I'm not at the record player yet, just the underground area. I assume I have to solve everything in here?

tesqui

Some of these shortcuts remind me of Dark Souls. I love it! I guess taking place on the entirety of a small island really lets you create some nice wrap around opportunities.

I have a terrible headache and am now nauseous thanks to the flashing colored panels near the end
after entering the top of the mountain.
I'm colorblind so I have to struggle to make out normal colors in some puzzles, but with the flashing all around, it pushed me over the edge and has made me sick. A game has never made me sick before. And, now I can't sleep because my head is pounding and stomach is turning. :(

I'm thinking of booting back into the game since I can't sleep now, but I'm afraid there will be more of them and make me more sick.

Feep

Banned
Well, that's that for the Witness. 516 puzzles solved; I'm sure I'm missing a few
triangle puzzles
somewhere, and maybe a few "utility" panels or something. I didn't care much for the + puzzles, only got 25 of those.

30 hours logged, no hints used.

Well, actually, gonna see if I can't get this thing working with my Oculus. I had troubles when I tried the first time...

man this fucking game...I'm starting to feel like the puzzles progressively don't follow their own logic, which I know isn't true and I'm just dumb, which makes me even more frustrated. Blow did not give a single fuck when he designed these things lol

Top Bottom