• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Yrael

I've generally found the
Tetris
puzzles easier than most others...they appeal to the way I think (rotating them and shifting them around on the grid in my head), which makes them fun to solve. It's the puzzles that rely on something in the environment that tend to deceive me.

Like the puzzle in the
monastery
with the
snapped off zig-zagging twig lying on the ground.
Gah, fuck that thing.

Dingles

Ending stuff (PC):

Just finished it - activated all 11 lasers. Once the sequence returned to the start, the game quit out. Reloaded it and I'm in a new save. Guessing for further completion I just need to reload my old one? or am I missing something that happens...

Blizzard

Banned
Ending stuff (PC):

Just finished it - activated all 11 lasers. Once the sequence returned to the start, the game quit out. Reloaded it and I'm in a new save. Guessing for further completion I just need to reload my old one? or am I missing something that happens...
Yes,
reload your old save to continue. You may have missed a significant part of the game.

Just did The Bunker. Was really fun, and I liked how everything built up to that final
elevator puzzle. That was the one true puzzle of the area, and the rest of the area was elegantly built not really for its own sake, but to prepare you, and give you the tools to solve that last puzzle. Had me stumped for a good long while, but I felt pretty smart once I figured it out.

Roarer

Ugh, feeling aggravated with the challenge.

Gotten to the last room twice now, and even had plenty of time for the last cylinder, but failed because I just can't think fast enough :\ Makes me feel pretty stupid when I end up wasting too much time on one of the pyramid puzzles, or even just a separate the colors one. And don't get me started on the fucking symmetry. I just can't get a good "roll" for the entire challenge. The irony is that this is the first puzzle of the game that makes me feel legit stupid

Wait, the puzzles on
the cylinders in the last room (before the magic elevator)
are on a timer? I never noticed. Or do you get booted out of the room if you submit an incorrect answer?

Blizzard

Banned
Wait, the puzzles on
the cylinders in the last room (before the magic elevator)
are on a timer? I never noticed. Or do you get booted out of the room if you submit an incorrect answer?
They're talking about a completely different, harder, challenge.

Fat4all

Banned
I'd say the longest it took me to "get" the puzzle mechanic of an area was the Desert.

But once I did I was amazed. Never thought the game would do that.

Blizzard

Banned
I may have figured out some mechanics without doing their areas first. The two big mechanics that I never figured out until I found their tutorial sections:

The hollow blue blocks in tetris puzzles, and the flux capacitor puzzles.

Stoze

I'd say the longest it took me to "get" the puzzle mechanic of an area was the Desert.

But once I did I was amazed. Never thought the game would do that.

Mine was definitely the quarry, takes a bit to decipher the feedback. Once I figured it out though I was disappointed it wasn't used more, probably my favorite panel symbol/mechanic.

I also really like the triangles as well even though they are also barely used.

Yrael

I didn't really like the desert much...
well, more particularly, I didn't like the water raising/lowering level. It felt more tedious than difficult to walk back and forth to find the right spot to catch the glare.

Stoze

My favourite areas have to be the Treetops and the Fall Trees section. Either fun puzzle after puzzle or creative puzzle after puzzle <3

I'd probably say the Town is my favorite, albeit a bit short. I loved seeing all the different mechanics come together. Treehouse had very clever design.

Also I'm a sucker for Bunker just because of how it looks/all the colors.

I'd probably say the Town is my favorite, albeit a bit short. I loved seeing all the different mechanics come together. Treehouse had very clever design.

Also I'm a sucker for Bunker just because of how it looks/all the colors.

They're great too. The boathouse near the start has some pretty amazing moments too.
Tbh I really only didn't like the Jungle, haha.

Stoze

They're great too. The boathouse near the start has some pretty amazing moments too.
Tbh I really only didn't like the Jungle, haha.

Yeah I take the boathouse for granted just because I zipped through it since it was kinda the starting area, but it's excellent as well. It gave me the first "oh shit" moment with a certain panel...
The one where you have to move away from the panel and look from a different angle to line up the rocks.

I'm probably in the minority, but I liked the jungle...
and wish there was more puzzles involving sound.

Desert is probably the only one I didn't wholly like. Discovering the mechanic is awesome, but there were a couple points where things were annoying specific.

Can someone spoil me the color puzzle in
the tunnels below the mountain
? I've got the platinum trophy already and I'm done with the hardcore thinking in the game but I can't stand that puzzle being unsolved and I won't start making sketches again. No. I did a fairly attempt though but I'm done. -_-

Can someone spoil me the color puzzle in
the tunnels below the mountain
? I've got the platinum trophy already and I'm done with the hardcore thinking in the game but I can't stand that puzzle being unsolved and I won't start making sketches again. No. I did a fairly attempt though but I'm done. -_-

I'm also stuck with this one unsolved... But I just looked at my screenshot again and I think I finally understand what it's telling me.

I'm also stuck with this one unsolved... But I just looked at my screenshot again and I think I finally understand what it's telling me.

Yeah me too but I need to check color swaps and take notes in order to fully understand it and I don't want to do that anymore, I would if it were something of great importance but I'm sure that nothing happens when it's solved. So I tried with so little I remember about the colors but I failed. :p

Yeah me too but I need to check color swaps and take notes in order to fully understand it and I don't want to do that anymore, I would if it were something of great importance but I'm sure that nothing happens when it's solved. So I tried with so little I remember about the colors but I failed. :p

I just figured it out; it's a lot simpler than it looks. Two hints.

The layer "underneath" shows the true colors.

The puzzle would be unsolvable if the middle four were two different colors.

I just figured it out; it's a lot simpler than it looks. Two hints.

The layer "underneath" shows the true colors.

The puzzle would be unsolvable if the middle four were two different colors.

Nice!
I was sure that the colors underneath were the real ones but I didn't know which of the rest would change to any color.
Thanks! I'll give it a go.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm sorry, but the first bunker puzzle after you enter the sliding door has no logic to it whatsoever. Why are the groups the way they are?

Nice!
I was sure that the colors underneath were the real ones but I didn't know which of the rest would change to any color.
Thanks! I'll give it a go.

I should clarify one thing I said in hint 2:

The puzzle would be unsolvable if the middle 4 were an alternating 2x2 square of two different colors like they appear to be.

I should clarify one thing I said in hint 2:

The puzzle would be unsolvable if the middle 4 were an alternating 2x2 square of two different colors like they appear to be.

Yeah I think I understand, I'm not looking at the panel right now
but I remember those four to be of importance to solve the puzzle.
I'll check it now and let you now.

So I finished the game, do I
need to start over if I missed environmental puzzles or am I okay continuing on and going for the challenge

When you see the solution to a puzzle after staring at it for 2+ hours, trying everything possible:

iL0Q9Nj.gif

robotrock

Banned
Some of these red panel
bird noise
puzzles seem literally impossible.

I flew through the first four or so with ease, and now it's just really hard

NightOnyx

I'm 9 areas down, and close to being done with my 10th. I don't remember my + number exactly, but it's around 70. I did have one question about something I can't figure out.
Does completing both the hedge mazes and the touch panel mazes in the Keep actually activate anyting else? I mean obviously you can activate the lazer after completing one of the sections, but does anything else happen after doing both of them? It just seems like something would, but I haven't spotted anything. So I was just curious if anybody knows or if it really does nothing.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm 9 areas down, and close to being done with my 10th. I don't remember my + number exactly, but it's around 70. I did have one question about something I can't figure out.
Does completing both the hedge mazes and the touch panel mazes in the Keep actually activate anyting else? I mean obviously you can activate the lazer after completing one of the sections, but does anything else happen after doing both of them? It just seems like something would, but I haven't spotted anything. So I was just curious if anybody knows or if it really does nothing.
I haven't noticed anything else happen. It just increases your puzzle count.

Kerned

Banned
Ok, I got the Endgame trophy.
I started a new game and then reloaded a save and am back in the elevator. I assume I can now clean up the panels I didn't finish (finished at 430 +29). I know there is a "challenge" but I don't know what it is. I don't want to know any specifics AT ALL, but should I just explore around some more and find more panels? Will it become obvious when I find what I am looking for? Basically, I am asking if I should just get back into the game and keep playing as if I hadn't "finished" it?

Blizzard

Banned
Ok, I got the Endgame trophy.
I started a new game and then reloaded a save and am back in the elevator. I assume I can now clean up the panels I didn't finish (finished at 430 +29). I know there is a "challenge" but I don't know what it is. I don't want to know any specifics AT ALL, but should I just explore around some more and find more panels? Will it become obvious when I find what I am looking for? Basically, I am asking if I should just get back into the game and keep playing as if I hadn't "finished" it?
Yeah, just keep playing and looking for any puzzles you missed. If you spend 6-8 hours and can't find anything (this happened to me), you might ask for a hint about what zone to search. :p That will at least save some sanity.

Wozman23

Wait, what?! Then how did you do it previously?

I didn't do it, I just left it for last, because I had no clue how to solve it. I kept thinking it had something to do with the sun and the clouds aligning. I even brute force unlocked the first panel and had no clue what it meant.

The Town area felt like the culmination of all the puzzle types - like it should have been the last unlock . Once you understood each part of the island, you could understand the Town. So I'd imagine most people figured out the Desert then used that knowledge to finish the Town. I however stumbled upon the panel in the Town that taught me the Desert. Seemed like the backwards way to learn that to me.

Kerned

Banned
Yeah, just keep playing and looking for any puzzles you missed. If you spend 6-8 hours and can't find anything (this happened to me), you might ask for a hint about what zone to search. :p That will at least save some sanity.
Thanks, I still haven't opened the door on the
shipwreck. I realized I was going 100% down the wrong path in terms of my strategy, so decided to come back to it later with a clear head. I guess now is the time!
I have four pages of notes taken on that one door. Many of which I now realize aren't relevant.

The Town area felt like the culmination of all the puzzle types - like it should have been the last unlock . Once you understood each part of the island, you could understand the Town. So I'd imagine most people figured out the Desert then used that knowledge to finish the Town. I however stumbled upon the panel in the Town that taught me the Desert. Seemed like the backwards way to learn that to me.

Same for me, but with Monastery.
Never would have thought to open the windows before I opened that church door.

Top Bottom