• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

I haven't made any progress in this game for a while. I'm stuck in the
village
, don't understand the
desert
puzzles, can't find anything left to do in the
treehouse
don't understand the final black and white puzzle to unlock the panel on the laser in the
quarry
, have no idea how to solve the puzzles in the
windmill
etc etc. I'm not even that far in I have 2 lasers unlocked, 207 panels solved. I've heard about the difficulty later in the game and it's mind boggling that I'm stuck so early. Doesn't help that this game really isn't good to play after a long day of work. Ungh.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm at the treehouse. I dont get why this solution does not work.
I think I also got stuck around one of those puzzles in the treehouse, where you see
blue hollow squares

As with many things in the game, I highly suggest stopping, solving other areas instead, and then coming back. One of the other areas will teach you what you're missing, if I recall correctly, and it'll feel satisfying. :)

I haven't made any progress in this game for a while. I'm stuck in the
village
, don't understand the
desert
puzzles, can't find anything left to do in the
treehouse
don't understand the final black and white puzzle to unlock the panel on the laser in the
quarry
, have no idea how to solve the puzzles in the
windmill
etc etc. I'm not even that far in I have 2 lasers unlocked, 207 panels solved. I've heard about the difficulty later in the game and it's mind boggling that I'm stuck so early. Doesn't help that this game really isn't good to play after a long day of work. Ungh.

All of these areas are kind of interdependent, and you should definitely leave the
village
for last.

Try some of the standalone areas:
symmetry, shady trees, monastery, bunker
(depending on which ones you already have). And there's really only one trick to figure out for the
desert

Sky Chief

Even if you figured it out, I would highly recommend visiting the Marsh if you haven't already. The mechanics introduced in that area are everywhere in this game.

If you already have done that area, nevermind!

I feel like I'm making a good amount of progress but generally how are we supposed to know where different areas are? Is there a map in the game other than
on the boat
? Even then it's really hard to know which area is what. How does everyone just seem to know the names? I feel like I'm missing something here.

I feel like I'm making a good amount of progress but generally how are we supposed to know where different areas are? Is there a map in the game other than
on the boat
? Even then it's really hard to know which area is what. How does everyone just seem to know the names? I feel like I'm missing something here.

Well,
the boat
shows which new symbols are introduced in each area, so you can more easily figure out where you need to go if you're trying to learn something new.

As for the names, the trophies on PS4 give them away.

M3z_

You are right that it is impossible to enter the chirps on that puzzle.

The game also has a way of hinting at this.
Did you notice that there are two audio logs at the jungle entrance?

Just keep trying and see if you can eliminate any options.

Thanks!
I had tested out solutions of what I thought the howl frequency was before but what I initially thought it was did not work so I gave up on it quickly. Definitely found this area to be the most frustrating because it really just felt like they were measuring my hearing ability and not my logic/puzzle solving. Anyways /rant.
I

Also question about puzzle count
I'm currently at 384 +45. It feels like I must be nearing the end of the normal puzzle count and will need to switch to the + puzzles. Is that the case or the the 700ish puzzle number I've hear thrown around only in relation to the main puzzles the + puzzles being separate?

Sky Chief

Well,
the boat
shows which new symbols are introduced in each area, so you can more easily figure out where you need to go if you're trying to learn something new.

As for the names, the trophies on PS4 give them away.

Ah, okay. I'm on PC so I guess that's why I'm confused. Good tip though, that helps a lot.

Sky Chief

Thanks!
I had tested out solutions of what I thought the howl frequency was before but what I initially thought it was did not work so I gave up on it quickly. Definitely found this area to be the most frustrating because it really just felt like they were measuring my hearing ability and not my logic/puzzle solving. Anyways /rant.
I

I'm currently at 384 +45. It feels like I must be nearing the end of the normal puzzle count and will need to switch to the + puzzles. Is that the case or the the 700ish puzzle number I've hear thrown around only in relation to the main puzzles the + puzzles being separate?

How do you know how many puzzles you've done?

I need a hint on this one pls. (Inside the M
ountain
)

Make some room.

It's still mostly normal puzzles, but the big number does include + puzzles.

Stampy

In the ending part of the game
(the smaller 4 piece puzzle which is a part of the larger symmetry one which will open the glass door to some skeleton/guy on the other side), am I correct with the assumption that in the upper right puzzle piece the L block cannot be “saved”. I mean it’s positioned like that that it seems like I can only be sacrificed. Is that just a decoy piece
? Please just yes or no answer would be greatly appreciated.

In my mind I already gave up on the line of thought which uses
that piece in the greater scheme
, but am intrigued if there is some esoteric technique that I am missing with which I could dig it out.

The Witness OT2 This game will Blow your mind
The Witness OT2 I don't know how to... nevermind.

330 +6 here. Awesome game, but Riven still a superior game.

mclem

That looks glitched. You should be able to reset it if you can make a path to the blue side and then redraw the orange line. I don't know if there's another way.

That definitely looks fundamentally wrong, anyway. Might want to poke Blow about it.

I suspect - from a coder's POV - that orange line doesn't actually exist as far as the rules are concerned. That should then be enough to allow you to place a blue one, just consider it the only line.

I love all the small environmental touches in this game.

One bit that blew me a away...
If you stand near the dock in the march area, there is a figure on a cage reaching down. If you walk next to it and look up, the figure is perfectly scaled with the huge one in the background. as if they are reaching out to each other. It was awesome on both a technical and artistic level.

mclem

that yellow path should not be active.

:(

Yeah, not only does it terminate in an invalid location, it also isn't appearing as far as the
real bridge
is concerned.

That's absolutely a glitch. The question is whether the orange line 'exists'. If it doesn't, you should be able to cross by:

Blue line to the bottom right corner, up and around the stars and white square, back down to one above the bottom, go along to the left, move down all the way to the bottom as soon as you can, left to before the star, up two (past both stars), left to the left side, all the way up to the end.

That'll only work if the orange doesn't count, I'm hoping the glitch is a mainly visual one and will let you get away with that.

Edit: Any idea how you got there? You're on the blue side, but you've spent some time on the orange side (and there was a blue line there that you removed at some point, I assume).

I'm sure Blow would appreciate a bug report, because that looks like a pain to reproduce.

Ostinatto

Yeah, not only does it terminate in an invalid location, it also isn't appearing as far as the
real bridge
is concerned.

That's absolutely a glitch. The question is whether the orange line 'exists'. If it doesn't, you should be able to cross by:

Blue line to the bottom right corner, up and around the stars and white square, back down to one above the bottom, go along to the left, move down all the way to the bottom as soon as you can, left to before the star, up two (past both stars), left to the left side, all the way up to the end.

That'll only work if the orange doesn't count, I'm hoping the glitch is a mainly visual one and will let you get away with that.

Edit: Any idea how you got there? You're on the blue side, but you've spent some time on the orange side (and there was a blue line there that you removed at some point, I assume).

I'm sure Blow would appreciate a bug report, because that looks like a pain to reproduce.

I cant cross that yellow path, i cant do anything.

i took this screenshot from the yellow side, then went to the blue side and the yellow path didnt reset. :(

Why? Can't he just do this to get to the other side and reset the glitch?

the yellow path is real, and is in the middle of the stars.

*Splinter

i took this screenshot from the yellow side, then went to the blue side and the yellow path didnt reset. :(

the yellow path is real, and is in the middle of the stars.
Turn it off and on again?
Walk to the other side of the island and back?

If that doesn't work I can't see any other way to reset it, you'll have to load an earlier save :/
Or report it and wait for a patch, but I wouldn't expect that to happen very soon

mclem

Are you saying you can't even lay a blue path? Or you can attempt to lay it, but it can't cross the yellow? Or you can attempt to lay it, and the version we suggested that doesn't cross the yellow still doesn't work?

The interesting question for me is why it let you leave the orange panel with that line in place. You're still on the edit control at the point the screenshot is taken. I wonder if the act of taking a screenshot causes an issue with exiting the control interface.

Is this PC or PS4? I might do some experiments myself.

Ostinatto

Turn it off and on again?
Walk to the other side of the island and back?

If that doesn't work I can't see any other way to reset it, you'll have to load an earlier save :/
Or report it and wait for a patch, but I wouldn't expect that to happen very soon

my last save point is at the entrance of the M
ountain
:S

Are you saying you can't even lay a blue path? Or you can attempt to lay it, but it can't cross the yellow? Or you can attempt to lay it, and the version we suggested that doesn't cross the yellow still doesn't work?

The interesting question for me is why it let you leave the orange panel with that line in place. You're still on the edit control at the point the screenshot is taken. I wonder if the act of taking a screenshot causes an issue with exiting the control interface.

Is this PC or PS4? I might do some experiments myself.

I can't do anything cuz that yellow path is dividing those starts in the upper side of the puzzle, the puzzle is counting that yellow path as a blue path.

I'm playing on PS4.

Atrophis

In the ending part of the game
(the smaller 4 piece puzzle which is a part of the larger symmetry one which will open the glass door to some skeleton/guy on the other side), am I correct with the assumption that in the upper right puzzle piece the L block cannot be “saved”. I mean it’s positioned like that that it seems like I can only be sacrificed. Is that just a decoy piece
? Please just yes or no answer would be greatly appreciated.

In my mind I already gave up on the line of thought which uses
that piece in the greater scheme
, but am intrigued if there is some esoteric technique that I am missing with which I could dig it out.

Don't know if you've solved this now but your assumption is correct, the L piece is not a valid solution to that panel.

mclem

my last save point is at the entrance of the M
ountain
:S[/spoiler]

That's not too bad, actually. You already know the principles for the room above this one, and then you're right back here. I was worried the last save would be several lasers ago!

But yes, report this, because that's a really big issue.

Alastor3

I feel so stupid playing that game...always got stuck in the middle or just after some tutorial parts... especially that little three-white-line puzzle, can't figure out the mecanic or that shadow tree branch

Changing the FOV fixed my motion sickness for most of the game, but it came roaring back on the final set of puzzles.
Spinning around the mountain pillars nearly made me hurl, even on the very first one. I had to traverse sideways VERY slowly. Thankfully none of them got me stumped, so I was not there all that long.
Unfortunately this made me queasy while watching the ending.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
521,+114,+3. Made some huge progress today with +. There are some areas that are just treasure trove of post-game content.

ced

Holy shit I hated the later tree shadow puzzles, I eventually said fuck it and looked the last ones up. Only time I've cheated so far.

protonion

OK this has to be a flaw in the game's logic.

http://i.imgur.com/cozLUWx.jpg

Here you have to group everything together so one element is erased. If you do what is shown, everything flashes red. One because it is alone and the others because they are in a purple group of three.

HOWEVER!

http://i.imgur.com/sXWZ1nU.jpg

Here this is the solution. In the bottom half only the orange shapes flash red. The purple do not! WHY???

skynidas

Banned

Here you have to group everything together so one element is erased. If you do what is shown, everything flashes red. One because it is alone and the others because they are in a purple group of three.

HOWEVER!

Here this is the solution. In the bottom half only the orange shapes flash red. The purple do not! WHY???

because in the second one the purple shapes have nothing wrong with them, there are two of them, but there are 3 orange shapes, and one of them is erased by the eliminator, leaving the desired pair of orange shapes.

HOWEVER!

It's not a flaw.

The propeller-looking symbol must cancel out exactly one mistake in the region it is surrounded by.

In the first image, there are no mistakes -- two stars are paired together.

In the bottom image, there are three red stars grouped together -- one extra. That one is incorrect, thus it gets cancelled out and the puzzle is solved.

Top Bottom