• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

DJ88

I'm a dumbass. Drew the board I was stuck on in paint at work and realized
I was focused so hard on separating the stars and while drawing them it hit me that they're different colors so the two pairs can be together. Well I'm dumb.

Now I have to wait the rest of the work day to actually solve it.

I did the same exact thing. I spent over an hour trying
to separate those stars. I knew for a fact there was only one way to draw the tetris shapes to allow the green stars to pair, but that left zero space to pair the purple ones and spectate that lone black square.
I was going insane because I knew it was impossible haha.

I did the same exact thing. I spent over an hour trying
to separate those stars. I knew for a fact there was only one way to draw the tetris shapes to allow the green stars to pair, but that left zero space to pair the purple ones and spectate that lone black square.
I was going insane because I knew it was impossible haha.

Yup, same as me. I probably sat for about an hour last night looking at it saying "this is impossible" Then I just draw it up and while drawing it realize how dumb I was.

This damn game. The worst part is I know for a fact I put in probably the right solution multiple times but I never entered it in because I was just trying to look at that solution and figure out how to change it. If I would have just hit enter I would have been right so many times.

Splat

next page.

Deductive hints (not solutions):
1)
Since it's mirrored, you are only able to remove an even number of squares. Meaning that (25 - even = odd), you need to have an odd number of squares to play with
2)
Unless I'm insane, the topright sub-puzzle is only solveable one way, which puts limits on the rest of them given 1)

GhaleonEB

Unmarked puzzle.
I just traced out the hidden path near the quarry. More specifically
on the pipes under the bridge going over the stream, and then across its own reflection. I have no idea what it did other than make sparks and mark the totem nearby but
I was literally bouncing up and down giggling when I found it.

I'm learning to question everything I see and it's making me both paranoid and appreciative of the game that much more.

Edit: I just found another! My whole life has been a lie.

BraXzy

Unmarked environmental puzzle.
I just traced out the hidden path near the quarry. More specifically
on the pipes under the bridge going over the stream, and then across its own reflection. I have no idea what it did other than make sparks and mark the totem nearby but

I'm learning to question everything I see and it's making me both paranoid and appreciative of the game that much more.

Just wait till you see nothing but these things in the real world around you. Jonathan Blow has touched everywhere D:

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
SuperBunnyhop's review is up. Probably the first review of this game I agree with.

"It's a sterile purgatory of placid, barricading puzzles."

Maybe the best summary of I've heard for this game yet.
Comments = echo chamber

Disliking a game is fine. However, he clearly is trying to intentionally be the villain even before the video starts. Dat description.

After finishing enough areas to move on... (early endgame?)
That puzzle at the top of the mountain to open it up was the worst one I've done in this game. I knew how to solve it immediately, but couldn't get the perspective to line up nicely, so I had to look it up to see where to stand for each of the three.

I hope the rest of the game avoids similar puzzles.
That's the puzzle though...

MrHoot

SuperBunnyhop's review is up. Probably the first review of this game I agree with.

I kinda agree with him but I find his tone to be really harsh all in all. The witness didn't click for me as "amazing" although i just enjoyed it for the simplicity, even though I completely agree with the lack of payoff for a lot of things. But still this push of "It's not making the genre go forward" (like it absolutely needs to ?) and such seething spite for a genre of puzzle which he amps up as impossible, I dunno

GhaleonEB

"I don't know if it's just me, but I picked up on an unsavory undertone of bitterness, and mean-spirited inaccessibility."

From his complaints, he was definitely looking for something else than what the Witness is, which is fine. It's definitely not for everyone, and probably only for a small niche at that. But this comment was kind of baffling and about as far from the mark as he could have gotten. I've found the game to be downright generous in its eagerness to make the player feel smart. Sometimes that comes after a (potentially extended) period of feeling dumb - I've had'em - but I end each night with a huge smile on my face, having figured out just a bit more about the game than I did before. Like getting just a few more pieces into a giant jigsaw puzzle and knowing it's forward progress and the picture is coming together. It's a wonderful feeling.

Just wait till you see nothing but these things in the real world around you. Jonathan Blow has touched everywhere D:

It's Crackdown's agility orbs all over again. They're everywhere!

Mindlog

I think the thing that is killing peoples attempts the most on the
challenge, is the fact that they are unaware that the 4th puzzle denotes the location of the triangle puzzles in the maze room. If you get a really good roll where both puzzles are near the exit, and near each other, that makes a huge difference (it can cut a solid minute and a half off of search time). That, and the final two are easy to get "hyped" up on, and thus you can't think well because the music is freaking you out. I solved the problem by just putting on a song I liked to listen to, and getting a feel for how fast I was doing all the puzzles up to that point. Once I did that, I unlocked the challenge, and when I could hear the song in the game realized I was nowhere *near* running out of time.
(discussing end-game mechanics)
Yes!
Every run I had actually started and stopped with that puzzle. The music box and first set can be whatever. I would always want the 4th puzzle to be as straight as possible so even if I got turned around in the middle I'd still be able to find my way.

The last two puzzles are pretty easy as long as you remember there are only 3 B/W squares with vertical symmetry and the other is mirrored with not that many dots either. Knowing how they work and how many objectives each pillar has will take care of most of your path. Preparing will prevent a lot of overthinking.

Current stats: 515+113+3 They really bunch up those environmental puzzles.
Deductive hints (not solutions):
1)
Since it's mirrored, you are only able to remove an even number of squares. Meaning that (25 - even = odd), you need to have an odd number of squares to play with
2)
Unless I'm insane, the topright sub-puzzle is only solveable one way, which puts limits on the rest of them given 1)
Slight tweak, because I wrote the same thing earlier.
The first rule is predicated on the number of rows. Refined to the second rule of only being able to remove 1/3/5 it flows into the choice of which pieces to remove.
It's the same answer and for the same reason really.
Unmarked environmental puzzle. I just traced out the hidden path near the quarry. More specifically

fixed! (mechanic spoilers)
Finding your first one is great. Don't spoil it :]

GhaleonEB

fixed! (mechanic spoilers)
Finding your first one is great. Don't spoil it :]

I don't think that's spoiling it as I was incredibly general, but I inched it back further. I have to provide some context lest someone click on unmarked black text and not know what they are clicking on, and get a face full of actual spoilers.

Firebrand

"Beat" the game this morning with a score of about
420+80

There was one puzzle though that I somehow "solved" but the solution doesn't make sense to me..

The audio puzzle on the ship. I hear a "low, high, medium" pitch sequence, which is what I track with the purple dots, but the other line is all jumbled and the sum of the two doesn't make much sense either.

edit: Number typo

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The Witness review backlash I'm seeing is...kind of weird to me? Maybe I wasn't paying attention, but the reviews for The Witness didn't seem to be of the "here is the game that proves that games are art" variety, that feels sort of 2010

Spoo

The Witness review backlash I'm seeing is...kind of weird to me? Maybe I wasn't paying attention, but the reviews for The Witness didn't seem to be of the "here is the game that proves that games are art" variety, that feels sort of 2010

Most I've seen are just kind of drunk on the concept -- which is understandable, because the concept of a game that can teach you to learn, in a non-linear fashion, without direct forms of guidance is... well, if you had told me that such a game existed I'd have laughed in your face, but here we are.

If anyone dislikes the game, I completely get it. It's hard. It's time consuming. And you have to love the chase for the solution. If none of those things sound good, you're not going to have fun. I think it's the best puzzle game out there, but I can also see it being someones version of Hell, and not "getting" the critical reaction.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Most I've seen are just kind of drunk on the concept -- which is understandable, because the concept of a game that can teach you to learn, in a non-linear fashion, without direct forms of guidance is... well, if you had told me that such a game existed I'd have laughed in your face, but here we are.

If anyone dislikes the game, I completely get it. It's hard. It's time consuming. And you have to love the chase for the solution. If none of those things sound good, you're not going to have fun. I think it's the best puzzle game out there, but I can also see it being someones version of Hell, and not "getting" the critical reaction.

Sure, I totally get that, and there have been rave reviews for a reason. But I'm seeing a lot of backlash against the idea that games media is treating The Witness as a profound artistic statement from a genius, which doesn't gel with the coverage I've seen

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member

Bad review. Some of the comments about the puzzle design are just dumb. "the early puzzle mechanics are so simple you could solve them by luck!" and them complaining that the rules weren't properly explained to him. Like... what. Maybe that your fault for trying to brute-force and rush your way through it.

I have my gripes about the game (I hate most of the perspective puzzles, especially involving shadows, and I think the endgame is kind of awful) but this is 11 minutes of bitching about how the game didn't make him feel smart and didn't contain text tutorials. lol.

one of the few times I felt compelled to leave a comment: 11 minutes of bitter bitching about how the game didn't make you feel smart enough, yet you start the review by calling the average gamer a season pass-buying moron, pretty much. Nice.

About the end/post game
I keep hearing that the game flips something on its head or changes after the end. I've also heard that the last trophy before the platinum is a pain in the ass.
Is this true? Can anyone tell me how close I am to "finishing"?
I'm currently on the puzzle where the floor lights up after solving a few Tetris puzzles and becomes a puzzle itself.
I'm assuming I'm close?

mattp

i love when games with mostly positive reviews get negative reviews from people who act like they're fucking martyrs or "brave" for going against the popular opinion

i instantly dismiss their criticism because it just comes off as a defense mechanism for their insecurity for not getting why everyone else likes the game

you can give a game a bad rating. you're not brave. fuck off

"Beat" the game this morning with a score of about
480+80

There was one puzzle though that I somehow "solved" but the solution doesn't make sense to me..

The audio puzzle on the ship. I hear a "low, high, medium" pitch sequence, which is what I track with the purple dots, but the other line is all jumbled and the sum of the two doesn't make much sense either.

The other line is the metal creaking noises, which are the orange dots.

About the end/post game
I keep hearing that the game flips something on its head or changes after the end. I've also heard that the last trophy before the platinum is a pain in the ass.
Is this true? Can anyone tell me how close I am to "finishing"?
I'm currently on the puzzle where the floor lights up after solving a few Tetris puzzles and becomes a puzzle itself.
I'm assuming I'm close?

You are close to the start of "finishing."

I don't think that's spoiling it as I was incredibly general, but I inched it back further. I have to provide some context lest someone click on unmarked black text and not know what they are clicking on, and get a face full of actual spoilers.

That is exactly what happened to me, and it was even marked in that case. I overlooked it and clicked too fast.

TheExodu5

Banned

Sounds about right.

The puzzles exist just for the sake of solving them. That's my main issue with the game, and most puzzle/adventure games in general. Somehow, the Myst series (with the exception of Myst 3) is about the only series that somehow avoids this.

JayB1920

I am really enjoying this game and
have activated 7 lasers and opened the mountain
. However I really am not enjoying the tetris puzzles at all. I know what to do but they almost feel like a chore. I enjoyed most of the puzzles using the environment and am able to manage most of the other rules but when I'm required to throw shapes into the mix its too much. Luckily it seems like you can avoid most of them if you want though I'm not sure how the endgame will be.

I will say I prefer environmental puzzles and stronger story threads like in Portal and Talos Principle which are simply more engaging to me. Great game though and up there with the best first person Puzzle games overall. I need to look into more.

This review hits the nail on the head for me. I love puzzle games, but I only really love solving puzzles that exist organically in the game design. The island and the puzzles feel too divorced from one other, and the occasional environmental clues don't really solve that issue for me. For the most part, these are puzzles that could be done on pen and paper and don't necessarily need to be presented in an interactive form.

I also often felt more exasperated than anything upon figuring puzzles out. I never got that thrill of discovery and often felt mentally lacking for not figuring out solutions.

That said, I'm glad people enjoy it and see why. But yeah, this game certainly isn't for me. I hope Jonathan Blow goes more toward the Braid side of things if he takes on another puzzle game next.

I am really enjoying this game and
have activated 7 lasers and opened the mountain
. However I really am not enjoying the tetris puzzles at all. I know what to do but they almost feel like a chore. I enjoyed most of the puzzles using the environment and am able to manage most of the other rules but when I'm required to throw shapes into the mix its too much. Luckily it seems like you can avoid most of them if you want though I'm not sure how the endgame will be.

I will say I prefer environmental puzzles and stronger story threads like in Portal and Talos Principle which are simply more engaging to me. Great game though and up there with the best first person Puzzle games overall. I need to look into more.

Oh, child...

Spoo

As much as I disagree with his assessment, this review isn't *wrong* about The Witness. It's one take, a very personal one, about what a game like this should be, what it should mean, how it should guide the player, and what qualities the game should have in the way of visuals, music, etc.

It's probably very easy, in fact, to take a critical eye to The Witness, and re-engineer it into a game that fits a mold that is more accessible, more pleasing, to more gamers who are used to games being, well, a very particular way. That The Witness isn't like that, that's its in some ways a very cold, brutal game with very little in the way of typical mechanics, typical sound design, etc., is going to viewed as a strength by people who liked its approach -- holistically -- to everything from the whys and the hows of the design. The game fits together in the same way its most infuriating and complex puzzles do, and like an onion has layered that complexity in such a way to reward those people who like that kind of thing. As cliche as it sounds, the very moment of solving a puzzle in the game, not the next puzzle or even the next 10, or unlocking a laser, or what-have-you, none of that stuff matters as much as each individual puzzle, and likewise none of the puzzles matter in the context of the entire experience. As a player you're either keyed into this style, or its simply alien to you why anyone would think this is a good idea for a game. The game pushes back on the player pretty hard, and that's either going to be an enticing thing, or its going to be alienating.

There's a version of The Witness that is probably everything people who currently don't like The Witness would like, but I think that version wouldn't be liked nearly as much by the people who do enjoy it as it is now. Like some of The Witness's puzzles, the perspective you take with the game kind of changes its meaning, and there are going to be some people who just can't catch the glint.

TheExodu5

Banned
I don't know if I'll get it, but I'm requesting a refund for the game. With no color-blind option, some of the puzzles are near impossible for me to solve without any outside help.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Ok, so this is the challenge right?
You turn on a record player and have to solve two billion panels before it stops playing.

And I still haven't even found
the real ending
, lol. I've only
seen the elevator reset one, have no idea how to access the other one. Something to do with the sea, I guess?
But I have no idea.

That's the puzzle though...

Yeah, I know, but I didn't like that I figured it out, then saw that I was right when I looked it up, but still had difficulty in executing it. It just didn't control well for me. Maybe I need to adjust the sensitivity, but it was the only time I had that sort of issue.

FLEABttn

Banned
I did the Monastery right after the pink trees so you can definitely do it.

You're right, I didn't see
the little tree inside had a puzzle to control the window flaps
and the puzzles quickly made sense. Except for what I think is that last one inside which I'm stuck on but will give another go at tonight.

So I heard there are supposed to be
------two----
audio logs in the Shady Woods area. But I can only found one of them,
located close to the laser. Does anyone know where the other one is?

HoodWinked

at the point where i've finished the main game and the extended main game now i have to look around and try to find everything and that means running into more audio logs and listening to them is insufferable. just plain horrible and pretentious.

Search the thick trees in the back of the area.

Thanks for the reply! I think I need more help though.
I can't see any trees that are thicker than the other ones. And what part is the back of the area? Back in relation to what?
I read somewhere else that it's supposed to be
in a hidden path close to the sawmill. But I can't find anything like that either

KooopaKid

Banned

Well articulated review. I agree in particular with the lifeless part. I have 7 beams activated since several days ago and don't have any urgency to go forward and complete this. Feels like homework after a day's work.

Thanks for the reply! I think I need more help though.
I can't see any trees that are thicker than the other ones. And what part is the back of the area? Back in relation to what?
I read somewhere else that it's supposed to be
in a hidden path close to the sawmill. But I can't find anything like that either

I guess I should have said
the thicket of trees or the thick patch of trees. I consider the "front" to be the side facing inland.

Try this:
There is something intriguing you can see from the sawmill's back wall windows.

It is my firm belief that I have. A few times over. But I guess not.

Honestly,
it took me a few visits to notice all the paths in that twisting and turning cave.

Top Bottom