• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

akileese

So I stepped away from this for about 4 or 5 days and when I got back in my wife and I cleared the swamp tonight! Definitely gave us a lot of trouble but the good part is I felt like it made some others areas easier. I was able to go in and finish clearing the Greenhouse in about...15 minutes after that once I accidentally figured out what I was doing wrong.

Moral of the story, if you get really stuck for an extended period of time and you feel like progress is being impeded, take a nice long step back for a few days and then come back to it. You'll probably feel very refreshed.

Beat the game last night. Been avoiding this thread until I did. Still being cautious as I know there is post end game stuff going on and rather continue on blind. Just looking for as vague as possible of an idea of how far away from the platinum I am if I am at
11 lazers, 431+36 I think or thereabouts. Found the cave at the bottom of the mountain but haven't done any puzzles in there yet.

One very small tip I'll throw out there that I haven't seen mentioned, and helped playing blind and hitting roadblocks (on PS4). Remote play is perfect since the puzzle interface works well on the Vita's screen. I'd set particularly challenging puzzles aside and work on them before going to bed, saving exploring and new stuff for 'the big screen'. Moving past a puzzle almost immediately and saving it meant frustration was always very low as the game turned into a sort of dual experience.

I expected the tetriminos to be the most popular so it is interesting to read some of the reactions to them. One puzzle in particular in the treetops was my nemesis.

TheExodu5

Banned
Why is the performance in this game so erratic?

Game runs at 70fps. Suddenly I alt-tab back in and it's running at 150fps. I alt-tab again and it's now 50fps.

Even restarting the game doesn't guarantee optimal performance.

Yrael

Anyone help me with one of the end game pyzzles? Don't know why this one is giving me so much trouble.

http://i.imgur.com/JX1XW3ah.jpg

Hint 1:
The enclosed space needs to have 11 blocks. See if you can work out how to spread 11 blocks so that they are a) connected and b) include all four of those squares with tetris marks on them on the grid.

Hint 2:
Try joining those two "tetris" pieces with three squares in them together so that you don't have annoying diagonal pieces. Remember that you can rotate them.

Finally, an explicit solution - only click if you've well and truly given up:

http://i.imgur.com/OPEreGf.png

Beat the game last night. Been avoiding this thread until I did. Still being cautious as I know there is post end game stuff going on and rather continue on blind. Just looking for as vague as possible of an idea of how far away from the platinum I am if I am at
11 lazers, 431+36 I think or thereabouts. Found the cave at the bottom of the mountain but haven't done any puzzles in there yet.

One very small tip I'll throw out there that I haven't seen mentioned, and helped playing blind and hitting roadblocks (on PS4). Remote play is perfect since the puzzle interface works well on the Vita's screen. I'd set particularly challenging puzzles aside and work on them before going to bed, saving exploring and new stuff for 'the big screen'. Moving past a puzzle almost immediately and saving it meant frustration was always very low as the game turned into a sort of dual experience.

I expected the tetriminos to be the most popular so it is interesting to read some of the reactions to them. One puzzle in particular in the treetops was my nemesis.

You can
get the platinum any time you want now, in theory. Or at least start towards getting it...

Was the puzzle in the treetops the now-infamous one black star puzzle?

INTERNET

SERIOUS BUSINESS
Is the 667 puzzles number
(probably being needlessly vague here) the sum of the two numbers in the load game dialog? Or is it just the first?
Anybody? Sorry for the self quote but I have a weird thing about doing everything before triggering the endgame, and it would be a big help to judge where I am...

melkier33

Hint 1:
The enclosed space needs to have 11 blocks. See if you can work out how to spread 11 blocks so that they are a) connected and b) include all four of those squares with tetris marks on them on the grid.

Hint 2:
Try joining those two "tetris" pieces with three squares in them together so that you don't have annoying diagonal pieces. Remember that you can rotate them.

Finally, an explicit solution - only click if you've well and truly given up:

http://i.imgur.com/OPEreGf.png

Thanks yeah my brain wasn't working in reverse wrap mode.

Two Words

The desert with the hexoganal paths have me stumped. I have absolutely no idea what to look at here. I was able to brute force the first one, but that was no fun, and neither is resolving them.

You can
get the platinum any time you want now, in theory. Or at least start towards getting it...

Was the puzzle in the treetops the now-infamous one black star puzzle?

Thanks. Had to go back and check and no, the one that hung me up was 3rd from the last to go up to the lazer. Looks so easy now but for whatever reason the sneeze of symbols just wasn't happening.

Two Words

Okay, so about the desert part:

I see that the glare from the sun shows the path, and some panels have a part of it covered by shadows. Do I have to just brute force the part that is covered or is there something else here?

tch

Okay, so about the desert part:

I see that the glare from the sun shows the path, and some panels have a part of it covered by shadows. Do I have to just brute force the part that is covered or is there something else here?

It's been a while since I was in that area, but
have you checked the backs of the panels
?

Two Words

I went below the surface area of the desert:

This area where you raise and lower the water is making me dizzy. The reflectivity of the water is so clear that it looks like another space instead of a reflection. This is giving mea headache since I have to keep looking for a reflection on the panel. I can't figure out one and I'm not sure if I'm missing one. Did anybody else get sick from this part?

M3z_

Yay! Cracked the mountain today, 395 and counting. Everytime I break through a wall and it opens to a variety of new puzzles it feels so good.

I forget the exact count, but I'm something like 370 +30 at this point, and I have
lasers turned on. I've approached the final area and got past the entrance with the intention of "finishing" the game and then reloading my last save to continue on with the other stuff, but looking at how much of an ordeal that final area looks to be, I'm wondering if it's worth doing that right now, or if I should just hold off and wait to get the rest first (understanding that I still have, like, a lot left to go for that).

Would it be worth holding off? I guess my biggest subconscious concern is potentially having to do the final area again, but I suppose I can just screenshot everything.

slash3584

So played a bit of the beginning of the game at a friends house and loved the setting and puzzles, how long would it take to explore the whole island? (aka finish teh game)

Blizzard

Banned
Why is the performance in this game so erratic?

Game runs at 70fps. Suddenly I alt-tab back in and it's running at 150fps. I alt-tab again and it's now 50fps.

Even restarting the game doesn't guarantee optimal performance.
I don't know, but try pressing alt-enter, alt-enter when it happens. That seems to fix performance issues for me sometimes, at least temporarily.

Would it be worth holding off? I guess my biggest subconscious concern is potentially having to do the final area again, but I suppose I can just screenshot everything.

You can do exactly what you planned, and will not have to redo anything. At most there's some backtracking.

Should I get this soon or wait for the Oculus Rift version?

Right now it looks like PC technical support followed by ports are the first technical priorities for this game, so you may be waiting some time.

So I have a
eleven lasers now. Should I just press the button at the top of the mountain now? I'm scared.

Does it erase your progress or anything?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I forget the exact count, but I'm something like 370 +30 at this point, and I have
lasers turned on. I've approached the final area and got past the entrance with the intention of "finishing" the game and then reloading my last save to continue on with the other stuff, but looking at how much of an ordeal that final area looks to be, I'm wondering if it's worth doing that right now, or if I should just hold off and wait to get the rest first (understanding that I still have, like, a lot left to go for that).

You can do it whenever. You can get back out to keep doing other stuff, so you won't have to redo anything.

So played a bit of the beginning of the game at a friends house and loved the setting and puzzles, how long would it take to explore the whole island? (aka finish teh game)
Depends on how you define "explore the whole island". Solve every puzzle? Maybe 80 hours. Explore every area? Maybe 30-40 hours.

viveks86

Can't believe we have a GOTY contender in a game that is almost entirely based on line drawing puzzles. Pure genius! The witness has me talking to myself like a crazy person. I'm starting to see colored panels in my dreams. Aaarrrrghhhh!

Blizzard

Banned
Can't believe we have a GOTY contender in a game that is almost entirely based on line drawing puzzles. Pure genius! The witness has me talking to myself like a crazy person. I'm starting to see colored panels in my dreams. Aaarrrrghhhh!
I was at Universal Studios recently and looked up at the Rip Ride Rockit:

ripriderockit-e1374157xsrb.jpg

Look at the tower to the left and imagine how my mind started automatically reacting. :(

KeRaSh

I was able to play some more yesterday and finished the
shady tree
part and went on to the
mill
. I kind of like the
spiky blob (sun?)
puzzles and the one with the
Y
sign. The
Tetris blocks
can go die in a fire, though. I'm still not really sure what the exact rules for them are...

sappyday

What do I do at the
treehouse
? I've done every puzzle I can do there.
But I have no idea how to get to that door that is time limited

This game has some clever puzzles, but I find they tend to run a concept into the ground to the point where it becomes annoying. I was so done with those Desert Ruins.

This is exactly how i feel. The best part of the game is trying the figure out the rules to each puzzle type. But once you do it feels like your just running through the motions until youve completed the area.

Top Bottom