• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

I guess I should have said
the thicket of trees or the thick patch of trees. I consider the "front" to be the side facing inland.

Try this:
There is something intriguing you can see from the sawmill's back wall windows.

Thanks! I got it!

Can't believe I didn't see that area earlier. Now I just stumbled into it thanks to your help. I could have sworn I looked around there before, but yet I didn't find the path so I guess I never did look there.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I guess I should have said
the thicket of trees or the thick patch of trees. I consider the "front" to be the side facing inland.

Try this:
There is something intriguing you can see from the sawmill's back wall windows.

Honestly,
it took me a few visits to notice all the paths in that twisting and turning cave.

I've just gone through it again (both caves), and I'm sure I looked in every nook and cranny. There's nothing. Well, there's a mausoleum-looking thing, but I'm guessing I have to complete the challenge to get that open. The only things near it are a few unsolvable panels that can't even be activated.

I've just gone through it again (both caves), and I'm sure I looked in every nook and cranny. There's nothing. Well, there's a mausoleum-looking thing, but I'm guessing I have to complete the challenge to get that open. The only things near it are a few unsolvable panels that can't even be activated.

You can keep going past the mausoleum panels. Then if you think you hit the end, still keep going.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
On the way, you should find a box with a piece of paper in it.

Find the panel that matches it.

Yeah, that I've found, and I've been wondering about that.
The only panel I can remember that has that pattern is the one that opened the gate in the tutorial area. Tried it there, did nothing. So I guess it's off to search the entire island for another one! Yay.

Yeah, that I've found, and I've been wondering about that.
The only panel I can remember that has that pattern is the one that opened the gate in the tutorial area. Tried it there, did nothing. So I guess it's off to search the entire island for another one! Yay.

That's the one. There are no tricks, just solve the paper puzzle on it.

GeeTeeCee

Okay, so I did the first
sound
puzzle in the
jungle
, but while I grasp the rule of the area, I have absolutely no idea how to translate the clues
I'm hearing
into a line on each puzzle board. I got lucky with the first one because of how simple it was:
one high chirp and one low equals up then down
. I hate
sound
puzzles.

Auctopus

Uber just redesigned their logo...

12651022_1123461301027487_3976734898142740725_n.png

Okay, so I did the first
sound
puzzle in the
jungle
, but while I grasp the rule of the area, I have absolutely no idea how to translate the clues
I'm hearing
into a line on each puzzle board. I got lucky with the first one because of how simple it was:
one high chirp and one low equals up then down
. I hate
sound
puzzles.

There are three different notes in total.

Wasp

The swamp area does a poor job of explaining the harder tetromino puzzles. I'm stuck on this easy looking puzzle to open a gate (not in swamp area).

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CaUVytbWYAEg8ZI.jpg

What am I missing? Someone give me some hints please.

Also I'm stumped on this
perspective based
puzzle inside a temple. I don't know if I'm supposed to be
avoiding or following the branches
but neither seems to work. Hint please.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CaUVw-yWEAAuGyB.jpg

roytheone

The swamp area does a poor job of explaining the harder tetromino puzzles. I'm stuck on this easy looking puzzle to open a gate (not in swamp area).

Also I'm stumped on this
perspective based

How far are you in the swamp? There are some advanced mechanics about the tetris puzzles it teaches you later.

Bowlie

Banned
Also I'm stumped on this
perspective based

These branches were supposed to tell you where to draw the line, but it looks like they're not telling you the full path in this one, like there's something missing. Wonder what happened...

GhaleonEB

Also I'm stumped on this
perspective based

Hah. I was stuck at that gate for three days, and had a near-meltdown in this thread due to my not understanding one of the tetris block rules. With increasingly specific hints, in order:

The pieces have to remain in the same orientation as the icon. The one on the right is flipped.

It's impossible to trace the shape on the right, on the right. So do it on the left.

You can move shapes around under the outline you draw, so long as 1) all icons are covered within the profile of the shapes, and 2) you combine the pieces into one contiguous block.

Very specific hint/solution:
Move the block on the left, to the right, and vice versa. The pieces are now touching and covering both block symbols. Trace the merged shape.

Understanding this mechanic is the thing to know about the tetris blocks, and IMO it's something the game does not do a great job of teaching.

Henkka

Banned
I've been essentially stuck for days now, I feel like I've only got dead ends.

I can't solve the final puzzle in the tree tops. I can't solve the final puzzle in the autumn forest. I don't understand the red line puzzles in the eastern temple, even though I've solved two of them. I really liked tetris puzzles, and others that had clear rules. Some of these final puzzles feel like they make up new rules for no reason, it's gimmicky.

Really don't want to look up answers, either. :/

vpance

Got kind of bored of the game. Activated 7 lasers, did half the town puzzles, did a few +, haven't bothered exploring the mountain much. Is the payoff to keep going even worth it?

kvothe

Okay, I'm at what I think may be the last main puzzle of the game and I'm very frustrated. I have a solution that should work but just doesn't and I have no clue why.

I'm talking about the puzzle at the bottom of the interior of the mountain. It's a 5x5 blue room and you select 4 different shapes within it and then solve the puzzle symmetrically, as there are two lines going at once. The shapes I selected are the three in a row(X), the L shape pointing left (Y), the short L shape, upside down pointing right (Z), and the short L-shape pointing left (V). I have arranged them in this pattern:

..V
VVY
ZZY
ZYY
XXX

Can someone explain to me why this doesn't work as a solution? Do the shapes have to be enclosed on three sides by the line?

Thanks in advance.

Edit:

Got kind of bored of the game. Activated 7 lasers, did half the town puzzles, did a few +, haven't bothered exploring the mountain much. Is the payoff to keep going even worth it?

If you're playing this for some kind of "payoff," and aren't getting anything out of it, I think you're probably wasting your time. Seems like most of the enjoyment of this game comes from the act of discovering the different kinds of puzzles.

Can someone explain to me why this doesn't work as a solution? Do the shapes have to be enclosed on three sides by the line?

Thanks in advance.

When your L-shape flashes red when the solution is rejected, notice that the shape flashing red is...

...upright.

There are a few surprises left in store. But you need to activate all lasers.

Man, I'm having trouble with the puzzle on the sunken ship. The other
sound-based puzzles I found really easy, but this one has me stumped. The only sound I hear that has three different pitches is the drip-drop sounds, which go from high pitch to medium pitch to low pitch, which would correspond to small dot to medium dot to large dot. Since there are three medium dots, and two each of the other ones that means I would have to think of the sound pattern as repeating and go in the order is middle>large>small>middle>large>small>middle But I don't think that's possible. So, I guess I shouldn't be listening to the drops? The dots are in three colours so I guess I should try to hear three different sequences of sound corresponding to dots of the three different colours?
Am I at all on the right track here?

sound-based puzzles I found really easy, but this one has me stumped. The only sound I hear that has three different pitches is the drip-drop sounds, which go from high pitch to medium pitch to low pitch, which would correspond to small dot to medium dot to large dot. Since there are three medium dots, and two each of the other ones that means I would have to think of the sound pattern as repeating and go in the order is middle>large>small>middle>large>small>middle But I don't think that's possible. So, I guess I shouldn't be listening to the drops? The dots are in three colours so I guess I should try to hear three different sequences of sound corresponding to dots of the three different colours?

You need to simplify your assumptions a bit.

Where else have you seen colored dots? What did they mean there?

What other sequence of sound could there be?

kvothe

The longer 4.

Think of it this way:
what shapes have you told the larger panel to look for?

Ahhhhhh, thank you. I knew I couldn't have been smarter than the game.

I didn't realize that just because the L-shape was tilted in the puzzle within the puzzle, it didn't act the same in the larger puzzle.

You need to simplify your assumptions a bit.

Where else have you seen colored dots? What did they mean there?

What other sequence of sound could there be?

Hm,
the only place I can think of with dots of different colours was symmetry. But I'm not sure how those rules would work with three different colours.

Kaiken

Banned

Hm,
the only place I can think of with dots of different colours was symmetry. But I'm not sure how those rules would work with three different colours.

You're on the right track. Keep your ears open.

Firebrand

The other line is the metal creaking noises, which are the orange dots.
Damn, I totally
blocked that out as background noise. Well done, Blow & co. :)

Guess I shouldn't have looked at some other spoilers in here, I thought I had mostly loose puzzles left but some things here I haven't really seen at all.

Quite enjoyed the game, but yeah, the world feels very sterile, to the point where it sometimes feel like I'm just in a 3D viewer with a map file loaded.
Love all the little
hidden paths
. "What Zelda could learn from the The Witness" /ign

Trojan

Yehaaaw! After about 5 hrs and many failed attempts, I finally
beat that goddamn Challenge. I rage quit so hard twice that I actually deleted the game from my PS4. Glad I finally perserved for the Platinum.

What a great game though.

Yehaaaw! After about 5 hrs and many failed attempts, I finally
beat that goddamn Challenge. I rage quit so hard twice that I actually deleted the game from my PS4. Glad I finally perserved for the Platinum.

What a great game though.

Nicely done, the challenge was amazing for me, took me as much time as you or maybe more.

B-Man

I got my
8th
laser up!
should i activate all the lasers before
heading to the mountain (i assume this where i've to go)
, or just get it over with and go there ?
I don't want any spoilers, just a simple do it all or go to what i assume is end game.

Edit: Also i see alot of people getting puzzles number, then another + number, what does this number represent ? all i see in my loading screen is just the puzzles number.

Peltz

Just want to say, I'm not reading anyone's posts because I'm currently playing this game on full media blackout....

But WOW. What a game! I'm floored by how great it is. This is one of the most statisfying open world exploration games I've ever played.

I want to spend more time with it before I succinctly sum up why I feel this way.

But, unlike other games like Metroid or Zelda where you traverse the environment upgrade the avatar to progress, in this game, you only upgrade your perspective and the way your mind works to unlock secrets. Rather than strengthening your videogame character, you're strengthening your way of looking at the world to see truths.

I'm not sure what to make of the game's deeper meanings. I'm only 5 or 10 hours in or so... But I very much feel what the game is going for. It's really resonating with me and scratching an itch that few games ever have.

I got my
8th
laser up!
I don't want any spoilers, just a simple do it all or go to what i assume is end game.

I did that and I'm satisfied with my decision so, in my opinion, yes you should activate the rest.

Mindlog

I got my
8th
laser up!

Edit: Also i see alot of people getting puzzles number, then another + number, what does this number represent ? all i see in my loading screen is just the puzzles number.
Don't worry about those numbers.
As far as choosing what to do next (no spoilers really, but just in case)
It's totally up to you. You are never locked out of progressing. However, activating all the lasers does have an effect.
But I very much feel what the game is going for. It's really resonating with me and scratching an itch that few games ever have.
All agreed. Reminds me of Kerbal Space Program. No real story there either, but learning the toolset is its own reward.

B-Man

Don't worry about those numbers.
As far as choosing what to do next (no spoilers really, but just in case)
It's totally up to you. You are never locked out of progressing. However, activating all the lasers does have an effect.

That's what i wanted to know, thank you

I did that and I'm satisfied with my decision so, in my opinion, yes you should activate the rest.

seems like I'm going for it too, the problem now is that i almost have no clue where the remaining areas are at, makes me kind of wish there was a way of tracking unsolved puzzles

That's what i wanted to know, thank you

seems like I'm going for it too, the problem now is that i almost have no clue where the remaining areas are at, makes me kind of wish there was a way of tracking unsolved puzzles

Well... actually...
your boat has something like that.

mulac

Made it!
Spent every possible second on this game since grabbing it last week.

I've reached endgame and got all the lasers + endgame trophy. Now aiming for the platinum...however for some reason I can't access the
puzzle under the box at the top of the mountain

Here, you can see its not finish-able as blocked...

Did I miss something?? How to access this...?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I got the platinum last night, took about 2 hours to clear the last bit...though I'm not sure how I feel about that.

For the Challenge - I took a video of it here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqnxCV1xIls

As I've seen said, luck really does play a role, as this was probably the sloppiest I've done so it kinda sucks it ends up making it. Previous times I blew through the opening and had a bastard pillar puzzle that stumped for for multiple minutes alone, while here I got super lucky because I TOTALLY botched the maze and the color separation right before this.

Some key parts that stand out to me are the third panel (b/w seperation, I got one of the easiest patterns I've ever seen so not wasting time there is a big save) and especially the tetris panel which was a total joke. I've had to totally reset the challenge on this panel sometimes if the lines are all seperated and the shapes are hard to get together. Going from something like that to just straight up cutting the panel in half is kind of hilarious.

I know the one puzzle actually shows the layout for the maze but even that is sometimes super simple with both dots nearby. On this one I got flustered and forgot what it looked like and had to fumble around.

All in all I feel like it's a miracle I pulled that off in the above, but it also doesn't feel as satisfying as it could have since previous attempts were so much smoother.

Dominator

About a week later and I still can't do the challenge. I will continue trying a few times a day until I get it. It must happen at some point.

Fermbiz

Gold Member
Not asking for help but damn I'm stuck...

I figured out this puzzle and crossed over but can't cross back.

19cVPbP.jpg

And I'm feeling dumb because I think this is the only way out and I cant solve it!

B6YC8nq.jpg

Sigh... Gonna keep trying. Hopefully I won't resort to looking up how to solve it.

Mistle

^^^you can move the platform back. think of the shapes the platform makes in the real (game) world, that's your solution.

Neverfade

Not asking for help but damn I'm stuck...

I figured out this puzzle and crossed over but can't cross back.

Do it in reverse

And I'm feeling dumb because I think this is the only way out and I cant solve it!

Sigh... Gonna keep trying. Hopefully I won't resort to looking up how to solve it.

Its pretty easy, give it a moment to breath. Bet you hit it pretty quickly with fresh eyes :)

I've seen quite a few posts talking about that yellow bridge area and getting stuck. Can you actually get stuck to the point your game is over or what? I'm at that area now and I'm scared to death I've gone somewhere or done something and won't be able to go back. I'm also on the other side of that door without having done the puzzle. Hopefully I haven't screwed myself.

Top Bottom