• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Got a spoiler question for anyone who's beaten the open town area
(the place where one of the first puzzles is capturing the palm trees and their reflections).

So after that palm tree puzzle, there's a shadow puzzle where you can see half of the pipe's shadow showing you the path, and the other half is obscured by a board so you have to figure it out. Solved that puzzle no problem.

But now I'm stuck on the next one. It's shaped like a cross (or a plus sign), with little ending areas pointing to the right on the vertical line, and down on the horizontal. Next to the puzzle is a tree with an apple, which I'm sure must be part of the clue. I've already beaten all the apple tree puzzles... but I've never seen a puzzle shaped like a cross like this.

Any hints/clues on what I should be doing? This area seems to have puzzles that you learn elsewhere, so perhaps you could show me where to learn about the cross puzzles? I think this is the only laser I have left to activate (I've entered the mountain, but not beaten it yet)

Chris R

Got a spoiler question for anyone who's beaten the open town area
(the place where one of the first puzzles is capturing the palm trees and their reflections).

So after that palm tree puzzle, there's a shadow puzzle where you can see half of the pipe's shadow showing you the path, and the other half is obscured by a board so you have to figure it out. Solved that puzzle no problem.

But now I'm stuck on the next one. It's shaped like a cross (or a plus sign), with little ending areas pointing to the right on the vertical line, and down on the horizontal. Next to the puzzle is a tree with an apple, which I'm sure must be part of the clue. I've already beaten all the apple tree puzzles... but I've never seen a puzzle shaped like a cross like this.

Any hints/clues on what I should be doing? This area seems to have puzzles that you learn elsewhere, so perhaps you could show me where to learn about the cross puzzles? I think this is the only laser I have left to activate (I've entered the mountain, but not beaten it yet)

That puzzle is completely solvable with information you already have.

hint #1:
Think in more than one dimension
hint #2:
Pay attention to which branches are broken to determine the correct axis the solved point is on

Any tips for VR? 980Ti and i53570K(maybe getting up there) and weird drops to the 40s at times on medium and high but my video card never goes above 45 C even with prefer maximum performance. Controller movement is also super jerky,

Holy shit I gotta upload this video. Just finished the challenge
on a total hail mary with no time left.

Seriously, nobody will ever be more lucky in a video game than I just was.

Hated it. Hate hate hated the challenge. But man, the platinum tastes sweet!

I did the same thing.

It was basically this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjLqBYKkH1o

I got the platinum last night, took about 2 hours to clear the last bit...though I'm not sure how I feel about that.

For the Challenge - I took a video of it here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqnxCV1xIls

You do the same thing I do where
I accidentally back out of the first panel and have to walk over to the second one. Funny how that keeps happening.

And there is one more small trick there:
you can scroll through the sets of three color separation panels instead of backing out.

wow...am i dumb...

Happens in the best families ^^
Took me a while before I noticed that.

That feeling is amazing. I actually loved the challenge but it pissed me off a lot too.

Mindlog

Alright, here's my challenge run: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLYXUM_0roU

And the funny thing is that of all the times I made it that far, this was easily my worst, sloppiest run.

I hope all of you someday will have something that lucky happen for you. Holy shit.
Watching yours (end game spoilers)
I would have ended that run immediately after seeing that 4th panel lol. I may upload my run later. I went a little slow on a few of the early puzzles, but finished with a lot of time left.

What an ending lol. Congratulations.

Belfast

Loved the challenge. Took me plenty of attempts for sure and some frustration, but this isn't some shitty mobile app, wait-for-your-energy-to-regen bullcrap. You get to try as many times and as often as you want and, as with anything else in the game, walking away and coming back to it after awhile helps.

I loved the game as a whole and realize that the challenge asks you to do something that the rest of the game hasn't, but I wouldn't mind playing an entire game that was a bit more like that (a puzzle gauntlet of sorts). If it was easy, it wouldn't be fun.

Alright, here's my challenge run: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLYXUM_0roU

And the funny thing is that of all the times I made it that far, this was easily my worst, sloppiest run.

I hope all of you someday will have something that lucky happen for you. Holy shit.

Amazing finale.
I think my own hail mary was just seconds before yours - and I don't even know what the pattern was, just that I turned some random corners and it worked.

And you didn't even use
R2 to speed up the line!

eliza0224

Weird question but...are there any jump scares in this game? I can't help thinking some weird shit is gonna pop up in small closed areas, even though I read the player is completely alone. Maybe it's my slight claustrophobia messing with me :(

spyder_ur

Hey guys - quarry question following:

I've solved all the puzzles in the quarry and sawmill and picked up that the laser puzzle has two panels that pull back. I have the power to one, the other line seems to lead to a powered panel near the roof that is atop a platform (possibly elevator). However this panel isn't powered either - it's a green box with no screen.

Any tricks? What am I missing? I feel like I've solved everything on the quarry side.

What an ending lol. Congratulations.

LMFAO. That last puzzle. Grats you lucky little shit ;)

LUCKY BASTARD!!!

Amazing finale.

Thanks. It's been over an hour and I still don't believe it. Out of time, that was all I could really do. I never believed for one second it was actually going to work, that the final puzzle solution would be a fucking
straight line down the center.

In hindsight, it's probably a good thing that
time expired when it did. Otherwise I would have actually tried on the last puzzle and probably not noticed that it was a joke solution.

wildfire

Banned
Not asking for help but damn I'm stuck...

I figured out this puzzle and crossed over but can't cross back.

19cVPbP.jpg

And I'm feeling dumb because I think this is the only way out and I cant solve it!

B6YC8nq.jpg

Sigh... Gonna keep trying. Hopefully I won't resort to looking up how to solve it.

I got stuck there too. All I will say is that the bridge works if you reshape your answer. Don't worry if it doesn't work even if you follow the rules correctly. There is strictly one answer each to move it back and forth, even though there are multiple answers.

Hey guys - quarry question following:

I've solved all the puzzles in the quarry and sawmill and picked up that the laser puzzle has two panels that pull back. I have the power to one, the other line seems to lead to a powered panel near the roof that is atop a platform (possibly elevator). However this panel isn't powered either - it's a green box with no screen.

Any tricks? What am I missing? I feel like I've solved everything on the quarry side.

You are missing
a few unique panels on the upper walkway inside the quarry.

I... just...

my brain

In the final area. Reached the
first(?) five panels at once
puzzle. Made it to the fifth, and... I'm broken. I can't.

Mindlog

{Post End-Game stuff with video link)
My challenge run link intentionally left vague. Between the Tetris puzzle and the obviously unsolvable stuff I waste a good 30 seconds.
Weird question but...are there any jump scares in this game? I can't help thinking some weird shit is gonna pop up in small closed areas, even though I read the player is completely alone. Maybe it's my slight claustrophobia messing with me :(
One.

Fat4all

Banned
I... just...

my brain

In the final area. Reached the
first(?) five panels at once
puzzle. Made it to the fifth, and... I'm broken. I can't.

It took me time to decompress before I tackled them.

I think I took a day off the game, keeping it in the back of my mind.

It was a very "nope" moment.

Man this thread is spoilery. I'm just gonna say, I'm almost through the swamp and it can't happen soon enough. My brain just doesn't work this way. 250 puzzles in and I haven't used a pen or paper yet, but I'm getting to that point.

Trojan

About a week later and I still can't do the challenge. I will continue trying a few times a day until I get it. It must happen at some point.

If you really want the platinum, keep trying and don't give up. I spent a whole week on it and finally it paid off. But I rage quit multiple times and you need a good roll to finish. I was continually getting better though and by the end I was an ace at the triangle puzzles.

McFadge

Post game, and I'm going around tidying up
environment puzzles
and I found the
pillar in an early area that opened up a floor panel.
Any hints on what it does, or what I should be thinking about? I already found the
associated environment puzzle
, but the noise it makes seems to imply it's doing something, and with so many possible solutions I figure there must be more to it.

Two other panels which I couldn't find a 'purpose' for:
a large tetris panel under the red water at the swamp... I think? It involved prettty much every block type
and
the hedge maze overview panel in the castle

Post game, and I'm going around tidying up
environment puzzles
and I found the
pillar in an early area that opened up a floor panel.
Any hints on what it does, or what I should be thinking about? I already found the
associated environment puzzle
, but the noise it makes seems to imply it's doing something, and with so many possible solutions I figure there must be more to it.

Two other panels which I couldn't find a 'purpose' for:
a large tetris panel under the red water at the swamp... I think? It involved prettty much every block type
and
the hedge maze overview panel in the castle

So far nobody has found any other purpose for any of those things, even if
the floor panel does look suspicious
In the castle either overview panel will activate the laser by itself.

Ostinatto

Question time !!! About the end ,
i finished the game i think, i started a new game, but i didnt got the credits roll? wut? also i could not find all the papers for the theater in the windmill, also what is this challenge thing? thanks.

Staying spoiler free, and 6 or so hours in, just popping in to say this is quickly becoming one of my favorite games of all time. A true work of art. Bravo, Blow. This game has made me a lifelong fan.

It took me time to decompress before I tackled them.
I think I took a day off the game, keeping it in the back of my mind.
It was a very "nope" moment.

I had actually stepped away from the game since Sunday, I kind of burned out on it a bit. But as a result,

i forgot a key rule with the suns
I FORGOT A KEY RULE WITH THE SUNS
TWO DIFFERENT COLORED PAIRS CAN COEXIST
I JUST WASTED SO MUCH TIME I MUST HAVE DISREGARDED THE SOLUTION A DOZEN TIMES
RRRAAAAAAGGGGGHHHHH

Fuck this game. This game is the best. I hate it so very much.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I'm confused just beat the game

now I have a save with 0 puzzles. Do I have to do everything over

GhaleonEB

I'm going to spoil a very specific "+" puzzle, the entire class of which I only discovered this morning.

General location spoiler --> I went back to
the beginning area of the game, recalling something from early on that I made note of, but didn't understand.

big specific "+" spoiler -->
Sure enough, the tunnel we walk out of was one.
I literally leaped from my seat with joy when I got it to line up.

I haven't felt this euphoric from something in a game in ages. Well done, Mr. Blow.

Mindlog

im here.

i've solved this but i dont know what to do next.
First:
Go back to your old save! You don't want to lose progress.
Second, about that picture:
That's just another standard puzzle that's part of a nearby environmental puzzle.
Third, about the credits:
The credits are there, but involve a different puzzle. Find the challenge to get there legitimately.
Fourth, about the (well you know):
You missed something on the way to the ending. If you want to access the challenge keep a close eye out when backtacking from your save.

Overt location spoiler about what you should be doing end-game.
If you have all 11 lasers you should be exploring the mountain. The credits can be done later.

Top Bottom