• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

BadHand

Does anyone have any tips for, late late game spoiler

the challenge

the final two cylinder puzzles. not enough time to plot it out and my brain cannot handle it. I beat the maze at the end of the first song, then spent the entire second song trying and failing at one of these fuckers.

Coketruck

I haven't got to play much of this due to the game not working with certain AMD cards, but thankfully the patch issued yesterday fixed the issue and now I'm about 7 hours in. This game has been responsible for more "... Oh, you son of a bitch" moments of realization/clarity than maybe any other game I've ever played. The way the puzzles introduce basic concepts, then build and twist on them using previously-used mechanics is so damn good. Example (spoilers for bamboo forest):
starting off with basic high-low sounds, then moving to high-mid-low, then introducing long notes, then introducing other sounds mixed in, then introducing the "touch all the hexagons" rule but modified by making them representative of the different sounds, then mixing in the other sounds again... Holy crap.

mclem

This game has been responsible for more "... Oh, you son of a bitch" moments of realization/clarity than maybe any other game I've ever played.

My housemate has noticed that when I play The Witness, he's had to get used to continual muttering and occasional outbursts of "Oh, you arsehole".

(I mean that in the nicest possible sense, Mr. Blow!)

the challenge

the final two cylinder puzzles. not enough time to plot it out and my brain cannot handle it. I beat the maze at the end of the first song, then spent the entire second song trying and failing at one of these fuckers.
Luck. Seriously, it's almost entirely luck.

If you watch my successful run from the previous page, it was only through getting unbelievably lucky that I was able to get through it. Just keep trying.

Obviously having more time at the end is good, but if you get stumped on even one puzzle, you're in deep trouble. My problem was always getting stuck on one in the maze area. Just keep at it!

the challenge

In my playrun I always started with the one with the black and white squares because I always could solve that one quite fast with only one or two failed attempts, but when I switched to the black dots I failed constantly, so my mother told me "why don't you start with that one first?" At first I refused but after another two failed attempts I told her "you know what? I'm going to do just that, I'm going to start with the harder" and that carried me to victory.

The Witness - Challenge

eliza0224

Here's the solution to that puzzle, which I did in Paint. The black line is what you trace. I put blue squiggles to mark out the three shapes.

Do you see how they meet all the rules?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ghaleoneb/24735372551/in/dateposted-public/

1) all three shapes are there, 2) they collectively cover the three icons (even though one covers TWO), and they form one shape you joined together - so it counts. It's all about assembling them to meet those criteria.

This was the single hardest thing for me to get in this game, but once it clicks, it'll click hard.
Holy shit, I love you. I had no idea how to solve those puzzles, I gotta get home ASAP!

Which puzzle?

A light hint, expanding on that question:

It's an important question. Some in there may actually be impossible if you're not interpreting them correctly, or it may simply be that it's possible, you haven't solved it yet.
Just solved it on my second attempt after stepping away for about 30 mins, this game is so funny/annoying like that lol

Jornax

Having a blast playing this game in Share Play with a buddy of mine. The only gripes we have with the game are some finicky positions for the perspective puzzles, and the fact that some puzzles randomly require you to solve the previous one again if you fail it, in order to attempt it again. If anyone has a good gameplay-related excuse for that, I'd be glad to hear it.

Other than that, we do have a few specific questions about some areas, as well as one "endgame" related question. For understanding how far we are in the game, our progress thus far is:
7 lasers activated, although we haven't checked out the mountaintop yet where they all point to.

Tutorial area garden:
In the first 5 minutes of our playthrough, I noticed a small pillar with some triangles on it in the tutorial garden. I didn't think any of it back then, but just in case someone doesn't know what I'm going to say about this, but clicked on this spoiler block because they thought they figured out everything about the tutorial garden, I'll put the rest in a second spoiler block.
So after solving some loose panels throughout the island and finally figuring out the ruleset for the squares with triangles in them, it dawned on me that I saw these triangles way back in the first 5 minutes of the game. We went back and solved the puzzle on the pillar, and it led to a "huge" puzzle on the floor of the roofed entrance structure. The thing is, we can find multiple paths to solve this floor puzzle, but none of them seem to have any effect for something else in the game or at least in the direct vicinity. No solution seems to do anything but we don't think that can possibly be the case. So, can anyone give any hints about what this puzzle does, or what the "correct" way is about approaching this floor puzzle?

The Keep/castle:
So we did the hedge maze half first, and after doing the "montage" puzzle we activated the laser of this area. We then proceeded to the pressure tile half, but had to temporarily halt our progress here because we hadn't yet figured out how tetris puzzles worked. After gathering that knowledge, we did the rest of these mazes, but couldn't figure out what the result was of doing those, except unlocking like 1 door to the hedge half of the castle. So what gives? The "montage" puzzle for this half also didn't seem to do anything after solving it. Us that correct or are we missing something here? Or is it just that you had to solve either of the montage puzzles to activate the laser?

Orchard/pink trees:
We did this zone pretty early, but after opening an area that was previously closed off by a small wooden fence (it only seems to contain some drawings of body organs, some random wood and a cut apple), we couldn't find anything else to do here. Is there no laser here, or are we missing something like a hidden puzzle panel in the small unlocked area mentioned above?

Endgame:
Prequisites. My friend seemed to have heard that to in order to unlock the "endgame" (keep in mind, we both don't have any idea what the endgame is), you have to unlock a predetermined certain amount of puzzles. Is that true? If so, I find that hard to believe: my "gamer sense" rather tells me I need to have activated a certain amount of lasers first, it seems way more logical to me than just a set number of random puzzles solved all over the island. Can anyone please tell me as non-spoilery as possible how the endgame gets unlocked?

Having a blast playing this game in Share Play with a buddy of mine. The only gripes we have with the game are some finicky positions for the perspective puzzles, and the fact that some puzzles randomly require you to solve the previous one again if you fail it, in order to attempt it again. If anyone has a good gameplay-related excuse for that, I'd be glad to hear it.

It's to discourage brute forcing your way through puzzles.

Tutorial area garden:
In the first 5 minutes of our playthrough, I noticed a small pillar with some triangles on it in the tutorial garden. I didn't think any of it back then, but just in case someone doesn't know what I'm going to say about this, but clicked on this spoiler block because they thought they figured out everything about the tutorial garden, I'll put the rest in a second spoiler block.
So after solving some loose panels throughout the island and finally figuring out the ruleset for the squares with triangles in them, it dawned on me that I saw these triangles way back in the first 5 minutes of the game. We went back and solved the puzzle on the pillar, and it led to a "huge" puzzle on the floor of the roofed entrance structure. The thing is, we can find multiple paths to solve this floor puzzle, but none of them seem to have any effect for something else in the game or at least in the direct vicinity. No solution seems to do anything but we don't think that can possibly be the case. So, can anyone give any hints about what this puzzle does, or what the "correct" way is about approaching this floor puzzle?

Do you know what +1 puzzles are? The puzzle on the floor is related to one of those

The Keep/castle:
So we did the hedge maze half first, and after doing the "montage" puzzle we activated the laser of this area. We then proceeded to the pressure tile half, but had to temporarily halt our progress here because we hadn't yet figured out how tetris puzzles worked. After gathering that knowledge, we did the rest of these mazes, but couldn't figure out what the result was of doing those, except unlocking like 1 door to the hedge half of the castle. So what gives? The "montage" puzzle for this half also didn't seem to do anything after solving it. Us that correct or are we missing something here? Or is it just that you had to solve either of the montage puzzles to activate the laser?

Correct, you only have to solve either
the hedge mazes or the pressure plates

Orchard/pink trees:
We did this zone pretty early, but after opening an area that was previously closed off by a small wooden fence (it only seems to contain some drawings of body organs, some random wood and a cut apple), we couldn't find anything else to do here. Is there no laser here, or are we missing something like a hidden puzzle panel in the small unlocked area mentioned above?

These puzzles don't unlock anything. They are mainly there in order to teach you early on that sometimes you need to use the surrounding environment in order to solve puzzles.

KarmaCow

Other than that, we do have a few specific questions about some areas, as well as one "endgame" related question. For understanding how far we are in the game, our progress thus far is:
7 lasers activated, although we haven't checked out the mountaintop yet where they all point to.

Tutorial area garden:

The Keep/castle:

Orchard/pink trees:

Endgame:
Prequisites. My friend seemed to have heard that to in order to unlock the "endgame" (keep in mind, we both don't have any idea what the endgame is), you have to unlock a predetermined certain amount of puzzles. Is that true? If so, I find that hard to believe: my "gamer sense" rather tells me I need to have activated a certain amount of lasers first, it seems way more logical to me than just a set number of random puzzles solved all over the island. Can anyone please tell me as non-spoilery as possible how the endgame gets unlocked?

Tutorial area:
There is something in direct vicinity.
A bit more on that.
Sometimes getting the wrong solution is more useful.

Castle:
I believe you can do either one to activate the laser so the other can be redundant in that regard. That said, the other half has other uses, especially depending on your perspective.

Orchard:
As far as I know, it's pretty much that. It doesn't unlock anything greater. It's a tutorial or primer for the larger game just like everything else in the area.

Endgame:
Nothing is tied to the actual number of puzzles.
A bit more
Trust your instincts. :p

Bowlie

Banned
Tutorial area garden:
No solution seems to do anything but we don't think that can possibly be the case. So, can anyone give any hints about what this puzzle does, or what the "correct" way is about approaching this floor puzzle?

Try not to approach it the "correct" way.

The Keep/castle:
Or is it just that you had to solve either of the montage puzzles to activate the laser?

You're correct.

Orchard/pink trees:

There are optional areas, like this one.

Endgame:

Once you learn what the lasers are used for, you'll get your answer.

edit: beaten twice

Fermbiz

Gold Member
This game is perfect for Remote Play. I'm working out in the field today and I have amazing LTE speeds at my current location (Tmobile Xperia Z3 76Mpbs/22Mbps). While theres a split second delay, it's not bad at all just trying to figure out puzzles.

KraytarJ

the challenge

The best advice I can offer is to
solve going left, remember that, then solve going left and put them together. That may not help or make much sense but that's what I did.

Jornax

Alright, thanks for the replies to all my questions everyone. I think we can work with the hints you've given regarding the tutorial garden :)

BadHand

Luck. Seriously, it's almost entirely luck.

If you watch my successful run from the previous page, it was only through getting unbelievably lucky that I was able to get through it. Just keep trying.

Obviously having more time at the end is good, but if you get stumped on even one puzzle, you're in deep trouble. My problem was always getting stuck on one in the maze area. Just keep at it!

In my playrun I always started with the one with the black and white squares because I always could solve that one quite fast with only one or two failed attempts, but when I switched to the black dots I failed constantly, so my mother told me "why don't you start with that one first?" At first I refused but after another two failed attempts I told her "you know what? I'm going to do just that, I'm going to start with the harder" and that carried me to victory.

The Witness - Challenge

The best advice I can offer is to
solve going left, remember that, then solve going left and put them together. That may not help or make much sense but that's what I did.

Thanks guys, I will try again with your tips when I get home from work. I'm feeling luckier tonight.

wutwutwut

Ugh, seriously.

This line tells me the green dot is right.

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=5573afd37908e40ccf4e067f03841fd2&oe=57380E85

This line tells me the pink dot is right.

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=9a53cb10909c9c8e2921665242fec700&oe=5730FCA4

How the fuck can it be both? I don't understand how I'm supposed to work out what's what when the game is not giving me the correct information.
The game tries to tell you about the least number of symbols that are wrong, unless there's multiple least numbers of symbols in which case the game picks one in a random but deterministic fashion.

The game tries to tell you about the least number of symbols that are wrong, unless there's multiple least numbers of symbols in which case the game picks one in a random but deterministic fashion.

Based on other playing around I want to say that of those middle four,
the top two are pink and the bottom two are green.

But I'm not sure I trust the game at this point.

wutwutwut

Pairing the star with the tetris piece
? I guess it's not really different from
all the one-star treehouse puzzles.
Yeah. I figured it out, but I definitely spent some time
trying to pair the star with something else before I realized it was impossible.

mf.luder

Just finished the challenge. I was over complicating the columns at the end. I just needed to take my time and look at them first.

It also helped that some of previous puzzles were "one-glancers".

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Man, what a game. I'm at 511 + 81, I think I mostly have only the Challenge left to do, a lot of + and some logs to find. I only looked up a single puzzle (
Elevator in the greenhouse with the broken cable; I knew exactly what they wanted me to do, but I am just not good with colors like that
)

Loved every bit of it so far.

( ENDGAME SPOILERS )
I should have only one video to find for under the windmill, am I correct in assuming it is the reward for completing the challenge or should I be looking elsewhere?

Also, the lone panels scattered all over with the triangles, do they end up doing anything? Anything other than learning you triangles?

So I buckled a little because I was stuck on a new set of tutorials and the rules on a couple of the puzzle types.

But I'm now making my way through the swamp. When I put in the work and knock out one of those Tetris puzzles it feels sooo good. I'll continue to resist guides so I keep getting that satisfaction of solving it on my own. I was just missing the building blocks before!

Mindlog

Sometimes when I can't solve a puzzle, I just like to take in the sights.
GIF
Nice vista.
(big spoilers solve at least 600 puzzles before clicking)
But I see two puzzles. KappaFace or whatever.
Ok! Also, out of curiosity (and I guess I could just try this myself), can you
"beat" the game right after starting it, without ever leaving the tutorial area, if you already know the gate solution? Or does it not trigger unless the lasers are lit?
Yes. There is a video of someone doing exactly that.
(huge enormous spoilers - don't click the following spoiler unless you want the answer to the question above which is a huge enormous spoiler question)
VIDEO

the challenge

(everything I spoiler involves the above question which yet again involves end of game stuff)
My biggest tip is to make sure the 4th panel has an easy path. Getting lost in the labyrinth will kill your time. I was pretty slow on some puzzles, but because my labyrinth was so easy to walk I still finished with about a minute left.

see here

GhaleonEB

This puzzle in the green house has got me stumped and pissed, I wanna look up the solution but don't want to at the same. Feel like I can't solve it at all though, it's trying to separate the horizontal yellow and white squares in the middle:/

Which puzzle?

A light hint, expanding on that question:

It's an important question. Some in there may actually be impossible if you're not interpreting them correctly, or it may simply be that it's possible, you haven't solved it yet.

Just solved it on my second attempt after stepping away for about 30 mins, this game is so funny/annoying like that lol
Pretty sure I got stuck at the same puzzle last night. One conceptual question about it:
Do I really need to segregate all the colors, or am I supposed to combine them in certain ways? I'm thinking red+blue = green, which means I'll need my daughter next to me so I can tell which color is which.
If I'm off track I'll go at it from a different tactic.

Grinchy

Banned
haha aww this Greenhouse discussion is cracking me up. I was stuck there for so long one night when I went there early on. Being further into the game doesn't help, but when I finally went back and figured it out, I was just like, "Blow, you smug little bastard, you." Really interesting area.

JesseZao

Pretty sure I got stuck at the same puzzle last night. One conceptual question about it:
Do I really need to segregate all the colors, or am I supposed to combine them in certain ways? I'm thinking red+blue = green, which means I'll need my daughter next to me so I can tell which color is which.

Sometimes you just need to look at things
through a different perspective -- I mean -- lens.

collige

Banned

You have to segregate all the colors, but "all the colors" doesn't mean the same thing all the time.

mclem

Stepwise hints, take them one at a time:

These are just about the nature of what's required:
You do not need to segregate six different colours, if that's the panel you're looking at

You do not need to do any - for want of a better term - 'colour math calculations'.

These are tips to lead you to the solution of the panel directly:

The correct solution has just three segments

You may benefit from wandering around the room a bit

There's too much information here; you need to filter out the extra

What's in the environment?

Can you view the panel differently?

Through the window

Struct09

the challenge

It's important to remember that
the solutions to these puzzles aren't too complex (at least they weren't for me). Try to ignore the escalating music and don't overthink them.

Spoiler end area puzzle

Challenge
puzzle question

something weird I found in the challenge puzzles

it randomly seems to spawn puzzles that are impossible to complete before you reach the 2 / 3 pick one puzzles where only 1 is the right one the others are time wasters with dead ends

The Symmetry puzzle with 2 white dots, 2 yellow, and 2 black dots. You have a yellow and white line.

sometimes the Yellow dots and White dots are placed in such a way that white / yellow lines block each others path to get to it so the yellow dots are in the white line's path which makes the puzzle impossible to do!

So I start over after burning too much song play time on it thinking there has to be a solution for it

so is it true that this is a troll puzzle or do I just miss the solution?

collige

Banned
Spoiler end area puzzle

Challenge
puzzle question

something weird I found in the challenge puzzles

it randomly seems to spawn puzzles that are impossible to complete before you reach the 2 / 3 pick one puzzles where only 1 is the right one the others are time wasters with dead ends

The Symmetry puzzle with 2 white dots, 2 yellow, and 2 black dots. You have a yellow and white line.

sometimes the Yellow dots and White dots are placed in such a way that white / yellow lines block each others path to get to it so the yellow dots are in the white lines path which makes the puzzle impossible to do!

So I start over after burning too much song play time on it thinking there has to be a solution for it

so is it true that this is a troll puzzle or do I just miss the solution?

They've all be solvable in my experience (3-4 hours of trying).
Re-rolling can help though

Top Bottom