• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The credits are there, but involve a different puzzle. Complete the challenge to get there legitimately.

What does this mean? (Ending spoilers)
"Legitimately"? I triggered the second ending by solving the tutorial gate puzzle as instructed by the piece of paper you find past the challenge, but I never actually completed the latter (yet). Is this somehow not "legitimate"? Is there something more if your beat it? Three endings?

Mindlog

What does this mean? (Ending spoilers)
"Legitimately"? I triggered the second ending by solving the tutorial gate puzzle as instructed by the piece of paper you find past the challenge, but I never actually completed the latter (yet). Is this somehow not "legitimate"? Is there something more if your beat it? Three endings?
Oh yeah. Your ending is totally legit. I was referring to looking up how to do that thing without actually finding the instructions.
You don't actually need to do what I said. I just never found it because I never bothered looking until after I completed the final trophy. My fault! Updated.

Ostinatto

First:
Go back to your old save! You don't want to lose progress.
Second, about that picture:
That's just another standard puzzle that's part of a nearby environmental puzzle.
Third, about the credits:
The credits are there, but involve a different puzzle. Find the challenge to get there legitimately.
Fourth, about the (well you know):
You missed something on the way to the ending. If you want to access the challenge keep a close eye out when backtacking from your save.

Overt location spoiler about what you should be doing end-game.
If you have all 11 lasers you should be exploring the mountain. The credits can be done later.

thanks for your time.

i was backtracking a bit, i have
11 lasers on top the mountain, but the yellow box on the top is still closed, how do i open it?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Oh yeah. Your ending is totally legit. I was referring to looking up how to do that thing without actually finding the instructions.
You don't actually need to do what I said. I just never found it because I never bothered looking until after I completed the final trophy. My fault! Updated.

Ok! Also, out of curiosity (and I guess I could just try this myself), can you
"beat" the game right after starting it, without ever leaving the tutorial area, if you already know the gate solution? Or does it not trigger unless the lasers are lit?

KeRaSh

Did the Jungle yesterday and after reading so much about everyone hating it I thought it was pretty easy. I still can't really grasp the specific rules for the Tetris blocks. Can someone explain it to me? I know I have to
recreate the shapes but sometimes I'm sure I'm doing it right and it still doesn't work. I then brute force the solution and still have no idea why that would work...

GhaleonEB

Did the Jungle yesterday and after reading so much about everyone hating it I thought it was pretty easy. I still can't really grasp the specific rules for the Tetris blocks. Can someone explain it to me? I know I have to
recreate the shapes but sometimes I'm sure I'm doing it right and it still doesn't work. I then brute force the solution and still have no idea why that would work...

Rule 1:
The shapes have to cover / overlap the block icons

Rule 2:
The block on the icon has to be traced around it

Rule 3 (the key):
You can re-arrange the tetris blocks around, so long as they are forming one contiguous shape, and rules 1 and 2 are covered. So an "L" on the left and a "J" on the right could be swapped and so long as both icons are covered, and the shapes touch, you can trace around them and it will count. The location doesn't matter. Getting them to touch and cover the tetris icons does.

Nearly every tetris puzzle uses this rule very heavily.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Rule 1:

Rule 2:

Rule 3 (the key):
You can re-arrange the tetris blocks around, so long as they are forming one contiguous shape, and rules 1 and 2 are covered. So an "L" on the left and a "J" on the right could be swapped and so long as both icons are covered, and the shapes touch, you can trace around them and it will count. The location doesn't matter. Getting them to touch and cover the tetris icons does.

I'm still having a hard time grasping that last one and I think the puzzle I'm stuck on is because of that. Is something like rule 3 the key for this one:

NsFh0Ms.jpg

I can't figure this out at all.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a list of easily missable puzzles (like switches) in the game? I have 522. It's killing me.

GhaleonEB

I'm still having a hard time grasping that last one and I think the puzzle I'm stuck on is because of that. Is something like rule 3 the key for this one:

NsFh0Ms.jpg

I can't figure this out at all.

To solve these I have cut out the shapes on graph paper and arrange them on a grid I've drawn (I have 3x3, 4x4, 5x5 grids, etc). It makes the majority of these puzzles go very fast for me, having something to manipulate and look at.

For this one:
Without recalling the specific solution, what happens if you put the tall piece on the left? And the other two on the right, so they end up forming one shape and still cover all three icons? I think you'll be able to trace that outline more easily.

That sort of thing.

Big-ass Ramp

To solve these I have cut out the shapes on graph paper and arrange them. It makes the majority of these puzzles go very fast for me, having something to manipulate and look at.

For this one:
Without recalling the specific solution, what happens if you put the tall piece on the left? And the other two on the right, so they end up forming one shape and still cover all three icons?

That sort of thing.

You can do that?!? Oh jeez, I have no idea what I'm doing.

GhaleonEB

You can do that?!? Oh jeez, I have no idea what I'm doing.

Here's the solution to that puzzle, which I did in Paint. The black line is what you trace. I put blue squiggles to mark out the three shapes.

Do you see how they meet all the rules?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ghaleoneb/24735372551/in/dateposted-public/

1) all three shapes are there, 2) they collectively cover the three icons (even though one covers TWO), and they form one shape you joined together - so it counts. It's all about assembling them to meet those criteria.

This was the single hardest thing for me to get in this game, but once it clicks, it'll click hard.

KeRaSh

Rule 1:

Rule 2:

Rule 3 (the key):

Ok, so
the area that covers the shapes has to ONLY include spaces that are part of the shapes? I thought it would be fine if the outlined space also has free spaces between the shapes as long as the shapes fit in the area... Now that I think about it that would make most puzzles pointless since you'd just have to make a huge box and get to the end...

I'll try it with that in mind, thanks!

Big-ass Ramp

Here's the solution to that puzzle, which I did in Paint. The black line is what you trace. I put blue squiggles to mark out the three shapes.

Do you see how they meet all the rules?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ghaleoneb/24735372551/in/dateposted-public/

oh wow. ok, so you can really manipulate those things.
Thank you very much. I don't think I would have ever gotten that to be honest. I believe that's the first puzzle that uses that logic so I was completely going about it the wrong way. I kind of like these puzzles now.

Grinchy

Banned
I just have to say that the perspective-based board puzzles can go fuck right off. There is nothing fun about figuring them out. I don't even feel anything when I solve them other than relief that I'm one step closer to not having to deal with them again.

To solve these I have cut out the shapes on graph paper and arrange them on a grid I've drawn (I have 3x3, 4x4, 5x5 grids, etc). It makes the majority of these puzzles go very fast for me, having something to manipulate and look at.

For this one:
Without recalling the specific solution, what happens if you put the tall piece on the left? And the other two on the right, so they end up forming one shape and still cover all three icons? I think you'll be able to trace that outline more easily.

That sort of thing.

oh man, thanks for this. (And thanks to Big Ass Ramp for asking about this one.) I was stuck on this one (and probably a lot of other tetris puzzles) because I had no idea that
the individual shapes didn't need to be overlapping their own icons
. I expect this'll make other tetris puzzles more enjoyable.

GhaleonEB

oh shit why
are these tetriminos tilted sideways?

General hint. Then specific one.

They're not flat in any direction....experiment.
I suggest doing this for a while before clicking below, but if you really want to know:

Specific answer:
You can rotate those to any orientation, while the "normal" shaped ones cannot be rotated

Much more so than the others, those guys had me cutting out shapes from paper to move around. I couldn't picture all the options otherwise.

Big-ass Ramp

General hint. Then specific one.

They're not flat in any direction....experiment.
I suggest doing this for a while before clicking below, but if you really want to know:

Specific answer:
You can rotate those to any orientation, while the "normal" shaped ones cannot be rotated

ohhh, I thought you could already rotate the blocks.
Haha, thank you again

So I just beat the game (endgame spoilers)
with 7 lasers. I really enjoyed it, and I fully intend to do more, but I have questions. Am I intended to start from the beginning again? Are there missables I should replay with an eye towards getting that I may have swept past last time? I'd heard in particular that there was something to do with the
(+puzzle spoiler)
gate at the start, that becomes unsolvable after you've passed the tutorial area? A little stumped about how best to proceed. I don't mean to start looking up solutions. I've got this far almost entirely unaided, and I want to keep playing that way for the next long while. But at the same time, I don't want to struggle to get a 99% completion playthrough only to find out that there's some grand finish that I can't get without restarting from nothing.

For what it's worth I ended with 391+42 at 23 hours.

I apologize for asking questions that I'm sure have been covered to death in this thread. I'm just very wary of finding things I DON'T want to know on the path to finding those things I DO want to know.

Crispy75

big specific "+" spoiler -->
Sure enough, the tunnel we walk out of was one.
I literally leaped from my seat with joy when I got it to line up.

I haven't felt this euphoric from something in a game in ages. Well done, Mr. Blow.

This was actually the very first + I found :)
I also had a "well.... fuck me" feeling :)

Stoze

I apologize for asking questions that I'm sure have been covered to death in this thread. I'm just very wary of finding things I DON'T want to know on the path to finding those things I DO want to know.

There is nothing missable in this game (as far as we know). Everything can be done and is designed to be done in a single save file.

I bought this game to play with my wife as she loves puzzles but can't get to grips with playing 3d games. I also quite enjoy these sort of puzzles. We have only played a couple of hours and unlocked 1 lazer and exored a bit and done some puzzles in random areas.

I have a problem though. I would love to keep playing but every time I do I end up with a raging head ache and feeling slightly woozy. I assume it's a field of view thing. I havnt really read up much on this as I want to avoid spoilers but is there any plans to adda FOV slider on ps4 version?

roytheone

I bought this game to play with my wife as she loves puzzles but can't get to grips with playing 3d games. I also quite enjoy these sort of puzzles. We have only played a couple of hours and unlocked 1 lazer and exored a bit and done some puzzles in random areas.

I have a problem though. I would love to keep playing but every time I do I end up with a raging head ache and feeling slightly woozy. I assume it's a field of view thing. I havnt really read up much on this as I want to avoid spoilers but is there any plans to adda FOV slider on ps4 version?

Not a slider specifically, but they did patch a couple of things that help with this problem in the PC version (wider FOV, less head bob, changes in run acceleration), and are planning to bring those changes over to the PS4 version.

Not a slider specifically, but they did patch a couple of things that help with this problem in the PC version (wider FOV, less head bob, changes in run acceleration), and are planning to bring those changes over to the PS4 version.

Oh excellent. Il wait till that's out then try again. Thanks.

B-Man

Question about the
Keep/Castle
I was able to activate the laser, however just in front of the laser puzzle is
another puzzle that maps the mazes it overlooks.

i already
solved that other puzzle, but i wasn't able to notice anything happening
, can anyone tell me in the least spoiler-ish way tell me what was that for ?

Blizzard

Banned
I've seen someone posting their save game with

a second +number so like 500 +101 +6. What is the second +??
That number refers to
the number of black pillars completed.
Nothing happens when you finish them as far as I know.

Question about the
Keep/Castle
I was able to activate the laser, however just in front of the laser puzzle is
another puzzle that maps the mazes it overlooks.

i already
solved that other puzzle, but i wasn't able to notice anything happening
, can anyone tell me in the least spoiler-ish way tell me what was that for ?
You can do
either one first
. The other is just extra.

Noaloha

On a slight whim, I took this into school yesterday (I teach English as Second Language in Sweden) and hooked it up to a 4th Grade's classroom projector. Made a quick vocab sheet with translations for things like up, down, left, right, walk forward, turn, stop, go back, and also some cardinal directions, north, south, etc.

I sat at my laptop and had the class take turns in instructing me, in English only, how to navigate the mazes and where to explore. It went pretty well! I wouldn't be surprised if, just in those 45 minutes, they used (and sincerely engaged with) English directions more than they've ever done combined up to then. The kids definitely had a fun time with it.

Reynx

Question about a late game puzzle I'm stuck at in the
mountain

http://i.imgur.com/x9upHSz.jpg

I'm pretty sure I need to activate both sides in order to access the yellow door on the side of the wall, but I can't to find a path that won't block the line from the opposite side.

Am I right in thinking both paths need to be activated at the same time?

Question about a late game puzzle I'm stuck at in the
mountain

http://i.imgur.com/x9upHSz.jpg

I'm pretty sure I need to activate both sides in order to access the yellow door on the side of the wall, but I can't to find a path that won't block line from the opposite side.

Am I right in thinking both paths need to be activated at the same time?

I believe so, yes. At least I never managed to do it with
just one
, it doesn't seem possible.

Akai XIII

523 +135 +6, got the Platinum earlier.

Wasn't expecting to do the
challenge but I seemed to have loads of time left by the time I got to the pillars.

mclem

Rule 1:

Rule 2:

Rule 3 (the key):

I've said a few times that the rules are very simple. For me, my interpretation of the Tetris rules is a one-liner:

If a segment contains Tetris blocks it must be able to be created using those Tetris blocks

I think people tend to overcomplicate their interpretation of the rules; your description of them is in no way wrong, at all, but it's got lots of nuances and exceptions and 'but you can do this' parts to it. I find it much easier to perceive the rules when I abstract them out to a one-liner like that, and I've not found a rule yet that you can't do that to.

AngryMoth

Can someone please give me a quick answer regarding the end of one of the areas:
the desert ruins laser, is it meant to be not pointing to the mountain like the others, or am I supposed to do something else to make it
?

Bowlie

Banned
Can someone please give me a quick answer regarding the end of one of the areas:
the desert ruins laser, is it meant to be not pointing to the mountain like the others, or am I supposed to do something else to make it
?

Follow it, see where it goes.

GlamFM

Banned
Not asking for help but damn I'm stuck...

I figured out this puzzle and crossed over but can't cross back.

19cVPbP.jpg

And I'm feeling dumb because I think this is the only way out and I cant solve it!

B6YC8nq.jpg

Sigh... Gonna keep trying. Hopefully I won't resort to looking up how to solve it.

You can cross back.

Think. What did you do to make the bridge move to the right?

This puzzle in the green house has got me stumped and pissed, I wanna look up the solution but don't want to at the same. Feel like I can't solve it at all though, it's trying to separate the horizontal yellow and white squares in the middle:/

eot

Banned
I just have to say that the perspective-based board puzzles can go fuck right off. There is nothing fun about figuring them out. I don't even feel anything when I solve them other than relief that I'm one step closer to not having to deal with them again.

Agreed, they're no fun at all. They're the only puzzle type I've looked at hints for. Not because I didn't know what do to but because figuring out just where the right place to stand is sucks.

mclem

This puzzle in the green house has got me stumped and pissed, I wanna look up the solution but don't want to at the same. Feel like I can't solve it at all though, it's trying to separate the horizontal yellow and white squares in the middle:/

Which puzzle?

A light hint, expanding on that question:

It's an important question. Some in there may actually be impossible if you're not interpreting them correctly, or it may simply be that it's possible, you haven't solved it yet.

Top Bottom