• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Spoiler end area puzzle

Challenge
puzzle question

something weird I found in the challenge puzzles

it randomly seems to spawn puzzles that are impossible to complete before you reach the 2 / 3 pick one puzzles where only 1 is the right one the others are time wasters with dead ends

The Symmetry puzzle with 2 white dots, 2 yellow, and 2 black dots. You have a yellow and white line.

sometimes the Yellow dots and White dots are placed in such a way that white / yellow lines block each others path to get to it so the yellow dots are in the white line's path which makes the puzzle impossible to do!

So I start over after burning too much song play time on it thinking there has to be a solution for it

so is it true that this is a troll puzzle or do I just miss the solution?

I can't say if it's true or not but I seriously thought the same at some point.

Mindlog

Spoiler end area puzzle

Challenge
puzzle question

something weird I found in the challenge puzzles

it randomly seems to spawn puzzles that are impossible to complete before you reach the 2 / 3 pick one puzzles where only 1 is the right one the others are time wasters with dead ends

The Symmetry puzzle with 2 white dots, 2 yellow, and 2 black dots. You have a yellow and white line.

sometimes the Yellow dots and White dots are placed in such a way that white / yellow lines block each others path to get to it so the yellow dots are in the white line's path which makes the puzzle impossible to do!

So I start over after burning too much song play time on it thinking there has to be a solution for it

so is it true that this is a troll puzzle or do I just miss the solution?
I did the same thing you did for several of my first attempts...
You missed a solution. You are missing something.
I won't give you more hints. Discovering that element will make you feel...
Suffice it to say that everything before that specific six panel section is possible.

I did the same thing you did for several of my first attempts...
You missed a solution. You are missing something.
I won't give you more hints. Discovering that element will make you feel...
Suffice it to say that everything before that specific six panel section is possible.

oh oh I must know what I am doing wrong there

They've all be solvable in my experience (3-4 hours of trying).
Re-rolling can help though

yeah that is what I was thinking it must not be a troll but even re-roll seems to take off a lot of time

I need this area for my first Platinum trophy for PS4 so I'll keep at it :p

good to know they area solvable it will help me learn

unless the solution is white lines can pick up yellow dots, that would suck as a solution

collige

Banned
yeah that is what I was thinking it must not be a troll but even re-roll seems to take off a lot of time

I need this are for my first Platinum trophy for PS4 so I'll keep at it :p

good to know they are solvable it will help me learn

unless the solution is white lines can pick up yellow dots, that would suck as a solution
Don't forget that there are two different corners you can start from as well as two different ending places. Try to focus on figuring out which start and end point you're going to use before worrying about the details

B-Man

How many areas are there ?
i already completed
areas, i remember reading before game launch they were
, i don't want to go to
the mountain
unless i activate all the lasers, but i can't even know where to look for that last one!

the areas i finished so far (based on the trophies) are :
Shady Trees, Symmetry, Desert Ruin, Treehouses, Keep, Quarry, Marsh, Jungle, Monastery, Bunker & Town
can anyone please tell me where to go next ? or is the last area is actually
The mountain
and i should just go there now ?

Don't forget that there are two different corners you can start from as well as two different ending places. Try to focus on figuring out which start and end point you're going to use before worrying about the details

yeah I got that far
I even like these puzzles but the time I waste on them is costly
I always have the music end after the maze just before the exit to the pillars smh

collige

Banned
i already completed
, i don't want to go to
the mountain
unless i activate all the lasers, but i can't even know where to look for that last one!

Shady Trees, Symmetry, Desert Ruin, Treehouses, Keep, Quarry, Marsh, Jungle, Monastery, Bunker & Town
The mountain

You just listed
11 areas lol

KarmaCow

i already completed
, i don't want to go to
the mountain

The mountain

It sounds like you did 11 areas. :p

I did the same thing and miscounted the lasers thinking I was missing one.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
To people really struggling with the
challenge
:

There is a way to not have to blindly guess where to go in the maze. Pay attention to what colors that room is and see if you find them anywhere else in the challenge.

Gurrry

I dont get the 3rd grass maze puzzle in the castle. Can anyone give me a subtle hint on what im supposed to be looking for here?

Grinchy

Banned
I dont get the 3rd grass maze puzzle in the castle. Can anyone give me a subtle hint on what im supposed to be looking for here?

I will, because I fucking hated that puzzle. Here's a vague hint.

Keep walking around. You don't necessarily even need to be looking at the screen to determine which areas are good and bad.

guitar-center.jpg

Just finished the challenge, spoilz:
I feel like I just ran a fucking mile. Took about 50 attempts over a couple of days. Some people are saying turn the music off, and I suppose that would help, but that's a big part of the experience of the whole thing, imo. Absolutely perfect track selection there. I got to the final two puzzles while still on the first track, so I figured I had a good run going - but then took most of the second track on one puzzle, and only barely finished, with mere seconds left
. Fantastic stuff.

Still getting mind-shattering moments even this late in the game, too, like only just discovering
what the lake actually is
. Sitting at 520
+127 +3
, and absolutely in love with this game. If they released DLC that was just hundreds more puzzles
jam-packed in caverns or wherever like the lead-up to the challenge
, I'd play them all.

oh nooooOOOOOOOO

Mindlog

Day 9 has been streaming. Watching him get close to solutions has been pretty funny. Obvious spoilers as he is still playing through the game though. Day 9 (puzzle type spoiler)
He actually screenshotted a + puzzle, but didn't solve it because he hasn't realized what they are yet.

roytheone

Now working on the bamboo/jungle forrest, and honestly, it is the first time I am annoyed with the game and think it is being unfair.
If you try a solution that doesn't work, you don't know if it is wrong because you are trying the wrong thing, or because you simply got the pitches wrong. Which is incredibly frustrating. Take the one with the wolf for example. I tried inputting the wolf howl as mid-mid-high-mid, but it was wrong. So naturally, I thought that was the wrong direction of thinking. But it turned out I was right, and simply got the pitch wrong, it was low-mid-high-mid. I am now onto the next one, and I have no idea if I am thinking wrong, or I got the pitches wrong. Which sucks.

Spoo

Now working on the bamboo/jungle forrest, and honestly, it is the first time I am annoyed with the game and think it is being unfair.
If you try a solution that doesn't work, you don't know if it is wrong because you are trying the wrong thing, or because you simply got the pitches wrong. Which is incredibly frustrating. Take the one with the wolf for example. I tried inputting the wolf howl as mid-mid-high-mid, but it was wrong. So naturally, I thought that was the wrong direction of thinking. But it turned out I was right, and simply got the pitch wrong, it was low-mid-high-mid. I am now onto the next one, and I have no idea if I am thinking wrong, or I got the pitches wrong. Which sucks.

Make a list of the combinations you've tried already -- trial and error can get you through those parts easily enough; and as usual in hindsight you'll see where you went wrong when you do get it.

KarmaCow

Day 9 has been streaming. Watching him get close to solutions has been pretty funny. Obvious spoilers as he is still playing through the game though. Day 9 (puzzle type spoiler)
He actually screenshotted a + puzzle, but didn't solve it because he hasn't realized what they are yet.

I decided to try watching someone else play and nope, can't do it.
He was trying to solve a puzzle and actually figured out that the it required look through some branches so it would obscure some paths. He lined it up perfectly...then run all the way back in front the puzzle to input it.
It's not really his fault of course, I'm sure I did similar dumb things but it's like an itch you can't scratch.

Ambitious

Question about one of the puzzles in the Desert area:

More specifically, in the underground part of the desert:

CaeofyCW4AEPrf_.jpg:large

I had no trouble finding the path from the exit until the center of the right-most set of four squares (from the start: one left, one down). But where was I supposed to stand in the room in order to see the path from that node to the start of the maze? I just couldn't find it.
There were just four possible solutions left, so I just tried them one after the other.

mclem

I had no trouble finding the path from the exit until the center of the right-most set of four squares (from the start: one left, one down). But where was I supposed to stand in the room in order to see the path from that node to the start of the maze? I just couldn't find it.
There were just four possible solutions left, so I just tried them one after the other.

I asked this a while back, and didn't get a response. My overwhelming gut feeling - unless any other evidence comes to light - is that
brute forcing the remaining parts *is* the right solution - the idea, conceivably being that Blow wants you to get so used to having to find the explicit right answer prior to that that actual trial and error at that stage feels a bit like a lateral-thinking solution to the puzzle.

I feel that if the solution was meant to be discovered somehow, he'd have implemented more false paths on the left side

Edit: Hey wait, I hadn't read your response right -
you'd only seen the half I hadn't seen!.
. Well, that answers my speculation!

GhaleonEB

So I'm 4 days into this puzzle, midway through the swamp (2nd platform), and I'm throwing in the halp flag.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CaermuvVAAE5xsN.jpg

Here's what I think I know:

I need to use this panel to move platform either to either of the nearby sides (purple and blue).

I need to trace out the center tetris icon in conjunction with one (or more) of the colors. I've grouped it with them and had only the outside, non-grouped colors blinking at me.

This is what I can't figure out.

What do I do with the rest of the dots? I've done the above while 1) separating all four dots into their own space, 2) grouping them into pairs, 3) grouping the three dots not used in conjunction with the tetris shape into one space. From what I can tell, that's all possible permutations of how to group the colors, and they blink at me with every attempt. So I'm stumped.

Conceptually, this is the first time I've run into a panel with just one color of each, rather than pairs (and not having a "mistake" icon). Should I know how to do these if this is my first run in with them?

Where have I gone wrong?

I asked this a while back, and didn't get a response. My overwhelming gut feeling - unless any other evidence comes to light - is that
brute forcing the remaining parts *is* the right solution - the idea, conceivably being that Blow wants you to get so used to having to find the explicit right answer prior to that that actual trial and error at that stage feels a bit like a lateral-thinking solution to the puzzle.

I feel that if the solution was meant to be discovered somehow, he'd have implemented more false paths on the left side

You don't have to brute force it.

mclem

So I'm 4 days into this puzzle, midway through the swamp (2nd platform), and I'm throwing in the halp flag.

I need to use this panel to move platform either to either of the nearby sides (purple and blue).

I need to trace out the center tetris icon in conjunction with one (or more) of the colors. I've grouped it with them and had only the outside, non-grouped colors blinking at me.

What do I do with the rest of the dots? I've done the above while 1) separating all four dots into their own space, 2) grouping them into pairs, 3) grouping the three dots not used in conjunction with the tetris shape into one space. From what I can tell, that's all possible permutations of how to group the colors, and they blink at me with every attempt. So I'm stumped.

Where have I gone wrong?

Stick - rigidly - to the established rules. Don't get distracted by other aspects at this point; you know how Tetris pieces work, don't mix it up now. It's still very much consistent.

Edit: I'm inserting this one because it struck me as something you may possibly not have realised:
The dots are Tetris pieces too

A reminder of the Tetris rule I work with, just in case your interpretation is different and conflicting with this puzzle:
A segment that contains a tetris piece must be able to be made out of the tetris pieces within it

There's a more explicit answer here.
Each dot that's not linked to the L-shape needs to be isolated in a 1x1 square

Conceptually, this is the first time I've run into a panel with just one color of each, rather than pairs (and not having a "mistake" icon). Should I know how to do these if this is my first run in with them?

Where have I gone wrong?

How many routes are there? Which one do you want to connect and which one do you want to leave out? That's how you need to group them.

more explicitly:
physically you can connect two places with the L. The other 2 must be isolated.

-griffy-

Banned

Where have I gone wrong?

Let me see if I can not be 100% specific.
You're correct in that you need to connect the shape to two colors, to move the platform you are standing on. Then for the remaining colored pieces, what's the rule you encountered for the colored squares in other puzzles? Maybe you remember doing puzzles involving them with only black and white pieces? And you need to separate the black pieces from the white pieces?

Where have I gone wrong?

Like the bridge earlier (where you could solve the puzzle with a configuration that the platforms couldn't move to), you are constrained by how this platform can move physically.

Try solving it for where the platform is right now.

From that deduce the only position it can move to.

GhaleonEB

Stick - rigidly - to the established rules. Don't get distracted by other aspects at this point; you know how Tetris pieces work, don't mix it up now. It's still very much consistent.

Edit: I'm inserting this one because it struck me as something you may possibly not have realised:
The dots are Tetris pieces too

I averted my eyes when quoting this to avoid the other hints, but yes, this is what I was missing. Thanks.

Still not sure how the colors interact with this, but I'll noodle on it.

As an aside, this is the most colorblind-unfriendly game I've played in years. I'll need my wife or daughter in the room to finish the greenhouse. :(

mclem

Like the bridge earlier (where you could solve the puzzle with a configuration that the platforms couldn't move to), you are constrained by how this platform can move physically.

Try solving it for where the platform is right now.

From that deduce the only position it can move to.

(Major spoilers for this puzzle, but I'm curious:)
Is there actually a solution that's valid for the grid that's one the platform can't pivot to? I can't think of one off the top of my head.

mclem

As an aside, this is the most colorblind-unfriendly game I've played in years. I'll need my wife or daughter in the room to finish the greenhouse. :(

Yeah, that struck me when talking about that puzzle earlier, I appreciate that it must be awkward. When I gave hints I was trying to avoid an outright solution, of course, but it's crossed my mind that you might not be able to see a key element of it at all. But drawing your attention by asking about it will be too obvious if that element isn't an issue.

If it's any consolation, I don't think there's any area that's quite so demanding off the top of my head. But then, I don't have the condition, so I might be wrong.

Future

There are
two places where you can see 80% of the solution. From there, there are only a few possibilities. These two places are when the water is high or low (you don't need to race and look at the reflection when the water is moving

Finally started on what I think is the final area,
Mountain
, after lighting up the other 11 Lazers. Thank god for the Trophies triggering off of each zone completed, or I might have been much more nervous about having missed some tucked away section like the Orchard.

Finished the first set of puzzles there and feeling good about my progress. Wanted to press on further, but had a lot to do at work today so I turned in early. Eager for the day to be over so I can hopefully polish off the last section. Really enjoyed this game, but I'm also getting a bit burnt out on it.

Overall, I've had to resort to help 3 different times. Once was simply to understand the Tetris blocks, not for any particular solution. Once was to understand one of the town puzzles, which I am kicking myself over. I knew what it was hinting at, but instead of stepping away I wanted to confirm since it was one of those 'get the wrong answer and it shuts off' panels. In confirming, it basically gave me the answer as well. The only puzzle I explicitly went looking for an answer too was for the second to last Jungle puzzle. Again one of those panels that powers off with the wrong guess and I was tired of redoing the puzzle before. (
Turns out I had somehow inverted the pitch in my head and as soon as I saw the solution I felt like an idiot.
)

That actually makes me realize something, that the panels that turn off are really freaking annoying. I understand the logic behind WHY they turn off, but in practice it just tried my patience more than anything else. Especially the Jungle puzzle - where it's already so abstract. (the Town one I can see more, because it was trying to ensure you had actually learned what you needed about each area - but the panel I was having trouble with was so unlike the other panels that taught the mechanic I honestly wondered if I had missed some little tucked away area.
Again, ironically, because I wondered if I had missed an area like the Orchard is missable, when it was the Orchard the puzzle was invoking
.)

Still enjoying the game a great deal, but glad I'm apparently in the home strech.

BTW - did we ever get a final puzzle count and + puzzle count? I'm at like 411 and 35 but I remember seeing somewhere around 700 and +75.

INTERNET

SERIOUS BUSINESS
I averted my eyes when quoting this to avoid the other hints, but yes, this is what I was missing. Thanks.

Still not sure how the colors interact with this, but I'll noodle on it.

As far as I can tell, this puzzle exposes a new rule that is kind of at odds with my previous mental model:
the Tetris symbol sufficiently partitions two dots otherwise contained in a single area. Previously, I had thought that colors must be separated into closed areas strictly defined by a line.
Any other interpretations? I'm trying to think where else to test this...

I am in the M
ountain in the first chamber and have finished all the puzzles except the one in the left hand end point/room with the drawings, I can tell there is a puzzle in there, I just can seem to get around the block in the middle to get to it. Any hints?

I am in the M
ountain in the first chamber and have finished all the puzzles except the one in the left hand end point/room with the drawings, I can tell there is a puzzle in there, I just can seem to get around the block in the middle to get to it. Any hints?

You can't
get "around," per se...

As far as I can tell, this puzzle exposes a new rule that is kind of at odds with my previous mental model:
the Tetris symbol sufficiently partitions two dots otherwise contained in a single area. Previously, I had thought that colors must be separated into closed areas strictly defined by a line.
Any other interpretations? I'm trying to think where else to test this...

I would say it can be most clearly stated as:
a tetris piece only cares about shape and solid/hollow status.

Top Bottom