• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

mclem

As far as I can tell, this puzzle exposes a new rule that is kind of at odds with my previous mental model:
the Tetris symbol sufficiently partitions two dots otherwise contained in a single area. Previously, I had thought that colors must be separated into closed areas strictly defined by a line.
Any other interpretations? I'm trying to think where else to test this...

I would say it can be most clearly stated as:
a tetris piece only cares about shape and solid/hollow status.

I think it's better demonstrated a different way:

The exact distinction between those rules:
There's a specific symbol tied to the 'colours must be separated' mechanic - the square with rounded corners. Those tetris pieces are their own distinct symbol

You can get in, but not by going around the box.

Instead...

i_dont_understand_postcard-r7dab5e86a0184f46b35f9ba8402f3c31_vgbaq_8byvr_512.jpg

YaBish

Had to pop in here and say that I bought this game last night on a whim. I'm 73 panels in. I also went on a walk earlier today, and caught myself trying to line up my perspective with bits of architecture lol...

I'm thoroughly enjoying this so far. Well worth the price of entry for me.

KDR_11k

Solved the final
Challenge. Feels a bit luck based whether you get easy or hard puzzle configurations...

Had to pop in here and say that I bought this game last night on a whim. I'm 73 panels in. I also went on a walk earlier today, and caught myself trying to line up my perspective with bits of architecture lol...

I'm thoroughly enjoying this so far. Well worth the price of entry for me.

The park across the street from my home has a perspective puzzle in it... The trees line up so that the letters on them form a phrase if you look from a specific spot.

Catvoca

Banned
Sorry if this has been asked to death but after you've "finished" the game, meaning
The Mountain
, am I just meant to reload my old save if I want to keep playing?

KDR_11k

BTW, people talking about the second ending,
are they just talking about reactivating the laser gate to the credits or is there another outro?

This puzzle going up the mountain:
The sound one. I know how to solve it, I know the pattern but I just don't get when the restrictions kick in. Only puzzles I've needed help on is these damn sound puzzles that stop your movement. I just don't get them.

I have just got to the second M
ountain chamber with the flashing colour puzzles. I am finding them kinda difficult as I am colourblind, is there many of these ones, as I am tempted to see solutions for them.

Spoo

ountain chamber with the flashing colour puzzles. I am finding them kinda difficult as I am colourblind, is there many of these ones, as I am tempted to see solutions for them.

There aren't, and not a person here would suggest you don't go ahead and move past those puzzles with a solution guide.

If you must, you can probably find out what the actual colors are and then solve it -- or, you can
slowly deduce which colors are which by grouping a few each time and and "solving" it to see if they flash

Bowlie

Banned

As a colorblind too, I had to look for answers because I couldn't see a thing in them. Non-colorblind people don't know what it's like (not their fault, obviously) and ask to keep trying but in some puzzles it was impossible.

Crispy

Could anyone tell me if there is actually a way to
see how to solve the tree shadow puzzle which activates the laser in the golden forest?

I really can't find anything hinting at a solution, haven't had any problems with any of the related puzzles.

see how to solve the tree shadow puzzle which activates the laser in the golden forest?

I really can't find anything hinting at a solution, haven't had any problems with any of the related puzzles.

Which part are you at? What color are the lines? Because the solutions vary.

I'm at the
puzzle right in front of the laser, I already opened the two doors, so everything is yellow/goldish

Oh, so the last one. Two halves, which use two different rules.

explicitly:
the right half you avoid the shadows, the left half you draw the line on them

KarmaCow

Consider what kind of puzzles you solved to open each door.

Crispy

Oh, so the last one. Two halves, which use two different rules.

explicitly:
the right half you avoid the shadows, the left half you draw the line on them

Thanks! Got it with your first hint! Can't believe I missed that! Keep getting surprised by the way the puzzles require you to really look at them.

421 +48. You know that feeling in an RPG when you're high level and you return to an early area to fight stuff that used to be tough and this time around you just tear shit up? That's me with the village right now. So satisfying.

GhaleonEB

421 +48. You know that feeling in an RPG when you're high level and you return to an early area to fight stuff that used to be tough and this time around you just tear shit up? That's me with the village right now. So satisfying.

Once I got over the bridge, that was me in the swamp. Panels that would have stumped me last week are like, slay, rend, maim. :lol

I maintain The Witness is actually an open world RPG with knowledge replacing all inventory, currency and XP. It just fits.

Spoo

I remember getting to the village and looking around thinking "What in God's name..."

When I came back, it was a slaughter -- only after I reminded myself, as you so often do, that the rules are always the same. If something appears off, its your perspective to it.

Omg I just got the ship puzzle. This was my thought process:

So in my previous post I talked about how I had to
rule out the sounds of the drops. The only sounds left then are the random creaking noises of the ship. There are a few different ones. They don't seem to play in the same order, which rules out that I should trace through one long sequence fitting all the noises. So some of these creaking noises need to be fitted to probably a series of dots of the same colour. There are more noises than colours so I need to fit the noises that best fit the different colours.

So there is one that starts low and then makes a pretty large step to a higher pitch. This could fit with the purple dots, going from large to small. Which is good, because with the large dot right next to the starting point, we would probably quickly run out of space if we tried to get the small one first. Then the only noise that seems to sort of fit orange is one that starts at medium pitch, then goes up a minor second and then down a tritonus leap. Since the difference between the first notes is fairly small we can charitably label this sequence medium medium large, even if the first two are actually not the same tone.

The orange and pink dots should probably be collected by different lines (one by the one I control and one by the invisible symmetry line) Then for the black ones, the only way to get them both without trapping myself is to get them with different lines, first the medium one with one line, and then the small one with the symmetry line. Medium then small sort of fits one very high-pitched creaking noise.

So I need to get the pinks in the order large medium, the orange ones in the order medium medium large and the black ones in the order medium small. This seems impossible to do if I also try to get the colurs in sequence (i.e. first all the dots of one colour, then all the dots of the next colour and then all the dots of the third colour) so I'll relax that requirement and only make sure to get the dots within a colour in the right order, but not care about getting everyone in the same colour before moving on to the next colour.

So there is a path I can take to get first the large pink one with the main line, then medium medium and large orange with the symmetry line, then medium black with main line and small black with symmetry line and then exit. But that doesn't work! So I figured my reasoning was probably sound (especially so because I had started typing up this post, but asking for some feedback on my thought process rather than to announce I solved it, and reading what I had typed out, it all sounded right to me). So I figured I was hearing something wrong rather than having incorrect reasoning.

Since I figured the orange one didn't quite fit what I heard, I tried collecting the orange ones in another sequence. I got it when I did medium large medium. I'm not quite sure which noise fits with that. There is one that starts at medium pitch then take a fourth leap down. If I'm charitable, I can maybe say I hear a higher pitched note after the lower one for a very short time. But it doesn't fit nicely.

So in the end I went large purple, medium orange, large orange, medium orange small purple, medium black small black.

In the end I probably spent around five hours on this puzzle. I did it mostly on my own except for a couple of small nudges in this topic to get me on the right track
(one which said to listen to notes other than the drip-drop and one to consider the rules of symmetry)
. Both of these I already thought I had to do, but it was nice to get confirmation. So w felt pretty good that I did it mostly on my own, and it was a fun puzzle. I still feel a bit annoyed though about
the noise for orange fitting the solution so poorly. Especially so when I could sort of reason out the orders for black and purple without having to hear the noises. Can anyone tell me what noise is supposed to give you the order of the orange dots? Is it the one I described how I can sort of see if I do the hearing equivalent of squinting, or is it another one?

I think I am getting close to the final section,
just gone down the elevator in the mountain
. If you beat the game, does it let you continue on to finish the remaining puzzles, or should I go back out and finish them first?

This puzzle going up the mountain:
The sound one. I know how to solve it, I know the pattern but I just don't get when the restrictions kick in. Only puzzles I've needed help on is these damn sound puzzles that stop your movement. I just don't get them.

I don't recall
a sound puzzle going up the mountain. Is this a secret? Then don't tell me lol. Anyway, if by stopping your movement you meant your line, then it's something else stopping it. Usually those type of puzzles have two starting points...

explicit:
invisible symmetry

I think I am getting close to the final section,
just gone down the elevator in the mountain
. If you beat the game, does it let you continue on to finish the remaining puzzles, or should I go back out and finish them first?

It will make a save before the ending, so you can continue from there.

Grinchy

Banned
Question about a couple puzzles in The Town.

It's about the ones you access by doing the audio puzzle in the basement to get the staircase to come down. The ones where you change the lights between red/green/blue. I solved both puzzles and nothing happened. Is anything supposed to happen? Or are these just some extra puzzles to do?

Spoo

Post-game hint required.

Working on the cylinder puzzle at the very start of the game -- I think I'm solving it correctly (actually, sure of it, according to the rules of the triangle puzzles), but it keeps failing. Hint requested!

edit: NM. Didn't solve it correctly

gdt

In the town, with 5 lasers up.

This puzzle seems so simple, but I'm missing some key info that I cant find.
The very plain puzzle to open the town tower in the church like building. The puzzle next to the dude statue. Under the bell you can climb to. I can't figure out the key to it.

BraXzy

The very plain puzzle to open the town tower in the church like building. The puzzle next to the dude statue. Under the bell you can climb to. I can't figure out the key to it.

Can you get a screengrab to link? Trying to think which you mean.

I am stuck on the last puzzle in the bottom of the M
ountain where you do 4 panels on the floor, and they turn into one large symmetry puzzle. I kinda feel like I know what to do, but nothing seems to work.

Spoo

I am stuck on the last puzzle in the bottom of the M
ountain where you do 4 panels on the floor, and they turn into one large symmetry puzzle. I kinda feel like I know what to do, but nothing seems to work.

Chances are good you do know what to do. Make a special note of how many blocks you have to choose from, and make sure that matches with what you're doing symmetry-wise.

Extra hint:
The final solution is not some bizarrely weird shape

Firebrand

Tonight I mostly ran around trying to figure out how to get to the
bridge above the movie theatre (still not found video 4 unless I forgot to punch it in)
, but no luck,
can see locked doors at sun temple where I sent the laser up, and another door underneath the windmill but they both open from the inside. It should be between the desert laser and the windmill, but I haven't found an entrance around there.

Last I checked my score was about ~
470+90
, should I be able to get there by now probably if I just find the path, or is it some grand reward for being a completionist?

Also the enclosed area
behind the windmill, after the orchards
, seems to be pointless?

Firebrand

If you mean
the puzzle on the lattice inside the church
then
you're right, you're missing information - the puzzle is not self-contained.

What to do is
to open the door next to it.

Catvoca

Banned
So I've activated all 11 lasers and seen the ending but from what I understand there is more. Can someone point me in the right direction towards finding whatever this
Challenge
thing is? Don't be too specific please, I've heard the
location reveal
is cool.

BraXzy

Potential spoilers for near the starting area

You know the brown rocky area with palm trees opposite the starting castle.. There's nothing there besides the statue of a man reaching for a goblet/the sun. Without giving too much away, is it just symbolism or is there more to it?

GhaleonEB

So I've activated all 11 lasers and seen the ending but from what I understand there is more. Can someone point me in the right direction towards finding whatever this
Challenge
location reveal
is cool.

Have you found the + puzzles?

robotrock

Banned
You know how you can add yellow tiles together? Well...

This is a pretty big hint
you can use the blue squares to eliminate a shape entirely

For the 3rd panel

Minor hint
How many blue squares are there in total?

More obvious hint
What kind of shape could all of the blue ones create if combined?

Heh, I can't believe I never caught on to that. Thanks everyone!

Gurrry

Holy shit
i went back to the first sand area and did some crazy shit where the light went onto those tires and started revealing answers to puzzles or something. This is nuts.

I have no idea what it all means but damn. Crazy.

You've leveled up.....your brain. And agreed, it's what this game does so, so well.

KarmaCow

Challenge
location reveal
is cool.

There aren't any superfluous lasers.

Count how many locks opened up on the box so you could open the final area up.

Top Bottom