• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

I don't recall
a sound puzzle going up the mountain. Is this a secret? Then don't tell me lol. Anyway, if by stopping your movement you meant your line, then it's something else stopping it. Usually those type of puzzles have two starting points...

explicit:
invisible symmetry

It will make a save before the ending, so you can continue from there.

Well I feel dumb. I see the multiple colored dots I just thought it was one of those sound ones. Shit.

Catvoca

Banned
There aren't any superfluous lasers.

Count how many locks opened up on the box so you could open the final area up.

So the lock needed 7 lasers, but if none of the lasers are superfluous that means that those 4 other lasers have affected the mountain in some way I guess?

In the end I probably spent around five hours on this puzzle. I did it mostly on my own except for a couple of small nudges in this topic to get me on the right track
(one which said to listen to notes other than the drip-drop and one to consider the rules of symmetry)
. Both of these I already thought I had to do, but it was nice to get confirmation. So w felt pretty good that I did it mostly on my own, and it was a fun puzzle. I still feel a bit annoyed though about
the noise for orange fitting the solution so poorly. Especially so when I could sort of reason out the orders for black and purple without having to hear the noises. Can anyone tell me what noise is supposed to give you the order of the orange dots? Is it the one I described how I can sort of see if I do the hearing equivalent of squinting, or is it another one?

It was the opposite for me!
I thought the water dripping was random and used just the ship creaking to draw the orange line. Ship creaking is always mid-low-mid-high.

The intended solution is that both noises are non-random, and you need to make one line hit the water drip pattern (using purple and black dots) and make the other line hit the ship creaking pattern (using orange and black dots). I realize now that the water sounded random because I was trying to make it fit all seven dots; the pattern would have revealed itself if I didn't approach it with preconceived ideas.

Which is exactly what the nearby audio log was reminding you to do! Guess I'm to be held responsible for my actions.

KarmaCow

So the lock needed 7 lasers, but if none of the lasers are superfluous that means that those 4 other lasers have affected the mountain in some way I guess?

Don't over think it but if you want another hint,
the lasers all do the same thing

So I'm inside the mountain and I really hate the way they handled the
pillar puzzle panels.

Rather than having you rotate around the pillar as you draw the line, why not just have the panel rotate around the pillar? I had to stop because I was stuck on one of them and I was starting to get nauseous from all the spinning.

I had enough problems with getting motion sick up until they added the beta patch but designing those puzzles like that just seems like a silly oversight.

KarmaCow

So I'm inside the mountain and I really hate the way they handled the
pillar puzzle panels.

Rather than having you rotate around the pillar as you draw the line, why not just have the panel rotate around the pillar? I had to stop because I was stuck on one of them and I was starting to get nauseous from all the spinning.

I had enough problems with getting motion sick up until they added the beta patch but designing those puzzles like that just seems like a silly oversight.

Wow, yea that would have been the perfect solution. I got woozy doing those as well.

Acccent

Hey guys :)

Need a few pointers re. endgame stuff. I'm at the point where I'm pretty tired of walking around with no purpose, and as a result I'm probably not looking hard enough where I should...

In several progressively more revealing spoilers:

I've
opened the stone door
right before the ending and
completed all of the panels in the cave but it doesn't seem like they unlocked anything...

...although the four on the floor did make sounds that seemed to imply that they triggered something somewhere, but I have no idea what;

in the starting area, I know there's an
environmental puzzle you can get around the gate, but that involves getting it to close again, and I've been told that the way to do this would become apparent after finishing the cave, but it really didn't

fsr it sound like it's a special one, and
I think I've done pretty much everything in the game beyond that (and collecting more environmental puzzles, some of which I have no idea how to get –
like the one that seems separated into two metal pieces near
the shipwreck) so if anyone could give me a hint or two about where to head next, that would be appreciated!

Question about a couple puzzles in The Town.

It's about the ones you access by doing the audio puzzle in the basement to get the staircase to come down. The ones where you change the lights between red/green/blue. I solved both puzzles and nothing happened. Is anything supposed to happen? Or are these just some extra puzzles to do?

As far as anyone knows, those don't do anything.

Last I checked my score was about ~
470+90
, should I be able to get there by now probably if I just find the path, or is it some grand reward for being a completionist?

Also the enclosed area
behind the windmill, after the orchards
, seems to be pointless?

Sounds like you have
11 lasers
, so there's nothing stopping you now. But, advice from my own experience (and
some of the videos
):
you probably won't find it by looking for it.

And
no one has found any purpose for the area behind the windmill.

Hey guys :)

Need a few pointers re. endgame stuff. I'm at the point where I'm pretty tired of walking around with no purpose, and as a result I'm probably not looking hard enough where I should...

In several progressively more revealing spoilers:

I've
opened the stone door
completed all of the panels in the cave but it doesn't seem like they unlocked anything...

...although the four on the floor did make sounds that seemed to imply that they triggered something somewhere, but I have no idea what;

environmental puzzle you can get around the gate, but that involves getting it to close again, and I've been told that the way to do this would become apparent after finishing the cave, but it really didn't

fsr it sound like it's a special one, and
I think I've done pretty much everything in the game beyond that (and collecting more environmental puzzles, some of which I have no idea how to get –
like the one that seems separated into two metal pieces near
the shipwreck) so if anyone could give me a hint or two about where to head next, that would be appreciated!

Are you sure that
not even one of the puzzles in the cave unlocked something? It's not the floor panels - that caught people's attention, but we haven't found anything there yet.

Once you figure that out,
you can figure out the starting gate.

You will find a lot of
those environmental puzzles with gaps. There is one general trick you need to learn for all of them.

Bowlie

Banned
I've
opened the stone door

did you hear some music? that's the most important thing in there.

you should have found something that can help you with that near the end of the cave section.

Potential spoilers for near the starting area

You know the brown rocky area with palm trees opposite the starting castle.. There's nothing there besides the statue of a man reaching for a goblet/the sun. Without giving too much away, is it just symbolism or is there more to it?

It is just a particularly rich piece of symbolism, as far as anyone knows. Keep it in mind.

Ambitious

Well, looks like I'm finally stuck. On the entire island, there's only a single puzzle I haven't solved yet, but I can't do it without a tutorial. And there are two more areas which are closed off from the inside. No clue how to enter them. I guess it's time to finally climb the mountain and see what happens?

You see the other half by standing across from the panel on the far side of the room.

It's
across the way, but somewhere in the middle of the water levels.

There are
two places where you can see 80% of the solution. From there, there are only a few possibilities. These two places are when the water is high or low (you don't need to race and look at the reflection when the water is moving

I found only two places. Standing in one place revealed the first 1/3 of the panel, standing in the other revealed the next 1/3. I'm gonna have another look.

Bowlie

Banned
I think this will be my last question here, thank you everyone for answering me in the past:

To those who have done everything in the game,
before uninstalling it I began to watch the fourth movie. After hearing someone talk about a new shopping arriving in his town, I saw that I wasn't even past 1/20 of it. I don't have time to spend watching a still movie so I'd like to know what is its content, and if something happens at the end. You can give me the full answer at this point, without hints.

Grinchy

Banned

Wow, that's surprising. They seemed difficult enough to warrant some kind of progression to something else but that's fine that they don't. I actually thought they were pretty sweet puzzles. I started thinking maybe
I had to solve them in another direction like some other puzzles.

It was the opposite for me!
I thought the water dripping was random and used just the ship creaking to draw the orange line. Ship creaking is always mid-low-mid-high.

The intended solution is that both noises are non-random, and you need to make one line hit the water drip pattern (using purple and black dots) and make the other line hit the ship creaking pattern (using orange and black dots). I realize now that the water sounded random because I was trying to make it fit all seven dots; the pattern would have revealed itself if I didn't approach it with preconceived ideas.

Which is exactly what the nearby audio log was reminding you to do! Guess I'm to be held responsible for my actions.

Haha, if that's the intended solution, it seems I lucked into the answer from the wrong direction.
I tried finding sounds that would fit, but in the end, I could reason my way into finding the only possible orders in which to get the purple and black dots by looking a the panel. Once I realized that getting the black dots with one line would be impossible, I could then figure out that if any colours had to follow symmetry rules and be picked up by one line each, that would have to be the orange and purple lines. So just from looking at the panel, I knew the order in which to get the pinks, the order in which to get the blacks and which dots had to be picked up by which line. I then convinced myself into hearing noises that would fit wit the sequence large>small for purple and medium>small for black. Then I couldn't find any sound that fitted orange, but by then, there were very few degrees of freedom left, so I could brute force my way into finding the correct order for orange, and convince myself that it fitted one of the noises afterwards.

I like that you can get most of the puzzle mostly just by looking at the board and thinking about possible paths to take for a while. This gives you another way to solve the puzzle if you're having trouble getting the sounds to fit.

So anyway, even now that I know the intended solution, I can't see how the creaking noises are supposed to fit with that. That would be medium large medium small which corresponds to medium>low>medium>high pitches. I can't hear anything that sounds like that. Do you have to be in a certain location of the boat to hear it, or am I just deaf?

I do hear how the droplet sounds fit the intended solution at least. You'd have to know to start on low (could just as well have started on high or medium pitch) but you'd be able to figure out that the last dot in the sequence had to be medium black, so then the first one would had to correspond to the low note

Acccent

Are you sure that
not even one of the puzzles in the cave unlocked something?

you should have found something that can help you with that near the end of the cave section.

LOL. I had completed
the challenge
, can't tell you how many times I've walked through this area... never realised there was
a path hidden beyond the 'room' with the record player
. It's not the first time this happens either.
This games has a habit of hiding pathways behind sharp turns.

Thanks to both of you!

edit: omg

I think this will be my last question here, thank you everyone for answering me in the past:

To those who have done everything in the game,
before uninstalling it I began to watch the fourth movie. After hearing someone talk about a new shopping arriving in his town, I saw that I wasn't even past 1/20 of it. I don't have time to spend watching a still movie so I'd like to know what is its content, and if something happens at the end. You can give me the full answer at this point, without hints.

You can actually skip to the end yourself using the panel! But also...

The whole video is one long +1 puzzle (the sun moves across the screen and takes your cursor along with it).

And you can read the full text here: http://ludix.com/moriarty/psalm46.html

So anyway, even now that I know the intended solution, I can't see how the creaking noises are supposed to fit with that. That would be medium large medium small which corresponds to medium>low>medium>high pitches. I can't hear anything that sounds like that. Do you have to be in a certain location of the boat to hear it, or am I just deaf?

I do hear how the droplet sounds fit the intended solution at least. You'd have to know to start on low (could just as well have started on high or medium pitch) but you'd be able to figure out that the last dot in the sequence had to be medium black, so then the first one would had to correspond to the low note

You can hear both noises while standing at the panel. The creaking noises loop irregularly over the dripping water, but there is always a long pause between its loops.

Yeah, the fact that the puzzle doesn't provide too many possible paths was very helpful. Looks like people even brute-forced it: http://www.destructoid.com/the-witness-puzzle-that-s-vexing-everyone-update--337319.phtml

Bowlie

Banned
You can actually skip to the end yourself using the panel! But also...

The whole video is one long +1 puzzle (the sun moves across the screen and takes your cursor along with it).

And you can read the full text here: http://ludix.com/moriarty/psalm46.html
you can skip?! damn... But I won't waste an entire hour just to get a final +1 puzzle; I was just doing every puzzle because they were fun, and this one looks like the complete opposite and a bad reward for the challenge :/ I'll read it later though, thanks for the link.

This was super fun!

You can hear both noises while standing at the panel. The creaking noises loop irregularly over the dripping water, but there is always a long pause between its loops.

Yeah, the fact that the puzzle doesn't provide too many possible paths was very helpful. Looks like people even brute-forced it: http://www.destructoid.com/the-witness-puzzle-that-s-vexing-everyone-update--337319.phtml

You know what, I think maybe my musical training is making me overthink the creaking sounds. I will have to check tomorrow (going to bed now) but are the sounds you use for the creaking drawn out? If so, I couldn't think of them as one sound each, as the pitch was not constant in many of them, but tried to divide each sound into a sequence of shorter sounds if that makes sense. I'll need to confirm tomorrow whether my suspicions are correct.

You know what, I think maybe my musical training is making me overthink the creaking sounds. I will have to check tomorrow (going to bed now) but are the sounds you use for the creaking drawn out? If so, I couldn't think of them as one sound each, as the pitch was not constant in many of them, but tried to divide each sound into a sequence of shorter sounds if that makes sense. I'll need to confirm tomorrow whether my suspicions are correct.

Yeah,
one long drawn-out creak per sound.

Durante

I just unlocked the first achievement (I guess that's the least spoiler-y way to put it) and also found and explored what I'd call the
credits area

Haven't looked up anything at all so far, but I guess that finding all the
environmental puzzles
will be quite challenging.

Fantastically designed puzzle game, even if I can't say that the metaphysical/"artsy" parts of it add much for me personally (at least so far).

I am so close to completing [very late game]:
The challenge. I've gotten to the pillars several times, but just haven't been able to pull it together fast enough. I'll get it.

Am I the only one who wishes Thekla would put together a mobile version of just the line puzzles for like $0.99? I realize there was value to all the environmental stuff and have really enjoyed my time with the game, but at this point I feel like I invested so much time internalizing the rule sets of the symbols that having just a pure puzzle game with those (tetriminos, rounded corners, colors, etc..) with daily/weekly puzzles or whatever would be really cool.

To have all that info atrophy after so many hours of brain investment feels almost wasteful, in a small way.

For everyone who's sad that it's over: I think Blow accounted for that too, and wanted to remind us all to think about what we're taking away.

Remember those
audio logs where the girl decides to re-record some... audio logs after visiting the island. She couldn't remember going to the island itself, but it pushed some subconscious buttons that gave new meaning to some of the quotes they were reading.

I think everyone can find something personal like that in this experience. It doesn't have to be a stack of rules for lines and symbols, or some grand philosophical worldview.

In what I assume is the final-final section of the game (
11-laser caves
) and starting to get into some of the meatier chunks of what might be going on. I'll just tag all of this.

I haven't been too concerned with the nature of the game/story as it's pretty clearly not the type of thing where "answers" are the point, but my prevailing idea had been that this was kind of like (the movie) Adaptation, something that folds in on itself a number a times. It's a game about life, it's a game about games, it's about you the player playing this game, it's about the making of games, it's about the making of this game specifically, etc etc etc. The three audio logs I've found in the caves so far seem to kind of point in this direction, too.
Very curious to see if it continues along this path, or if it does do something a little more "concrete" in the end. I kind of hope it doesn't do that, really.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I could have sworn I posted earlier, but I suppose a mod deleted my post? It didn't contain anything even close to a spoiler, but a'ight.

Anyway, I finished everything in the game and loved it. I'll miss playing it.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Question about a couple puzzles in The Town.

It's about the ones you access by doing the audio puzzle in the basement to get the staircase to come down. The ones where you change the lights between red/green/blue. I solved both puzzles and nothing happened. Is anything supposed to happen? Or are these just some extra puzzles to do?
I was confused about this as well. Considering this was one of those puzzles where I had to draw things out, I would have preferred some sort of acknowledgement or progress.
Wow, that's surprising. They seemed difficult enough to warrant some kind of progression to something else but that's fine that they don't. I actually thought they were pretty sweet puzzles. I started thinking maybe
I had to solve them in another direction like some other puzzles.

Maybe you guys should
go outside a bit more.
Maybe appreciate those flowers a bit more.

KarmaCow

Maybe you guys should
go outside a bit more.
Maybe appreciate those flowers a bit more.

Do you mean the green and red environment puzzles on the side of the container or something else, related to the two puzzles on either side of the colour switcher?

INTERNET

SERIOUS BUSINESS
I think it's better demonstrated a different way:

The exact distinction between those rules:
There's a specific symbol tied to the 'colours must be separated' mechanic - the square with rounded corners. Those tetris pieces are their own distinct symbol
Well that makes more sense! Funny how
missing one detail completely spins you out into a wrong train of thought

The final final section of the game may have just broken me. It's pretty much the only part of the game that's
timed (with one exception that's pretty much trivial)
and it makes the puzzles suddenly infuriating.

EDIT: oh god it's DONE. Finally! Now I'm sitting here doing what I think might be
the puzzle where you have to wait for a long time to complete it

lt519

Game is a little obtuse for my liking. I'll keep playing it because the puzzles are fun but when they obscure them in elements like color and sound they can cause massive problems. I'm partially color blind so the bunker was just dumb and I was playing it on silent so
garden maze with footsteps sounds for path was impossible
. Two huge issues that cost me a lot of playtime at no fault of my own.

I'm enjoying discovering the concepts behind the puzzles but some are a little too much work to be enjoyable one I've figured out the concept. I.e.
combining the four puzzles at the keep, it's obvious what the answer is but I'm not about to go back and draw out all the puzzles I just solved
. I'm about 100 puzzles and two lasers in. Ran into a few signs where concepts haven't been explained so I moved on for the time being.

Coming straight off of Talos Principle...I dunno, its OK.

Do you mean the green and red environment puzzles on the side of the container or something else, related to the two puzzles on either side of the colour switcher?

Yeah, but couldn't you do that before solving the two panels in the room by just changing the light color?

Just bought this on PS4 today, man is it beautiful!

Makes me feel like a complete idiot though haha! Some of these puzzles I have no clue what I'm doing. I must have been at one puzzle for an hour and couldn't get it.

Oh well, my wife and I are enjoying trying to solve the puzzles but we are having a tough time with it. When you do solve one though it is a great feeling!! :)

hesido

I'm now in the + territory, +8 to be precise, but I don't like the
pixel hunting
to be honest.

There are some puzzles that I swear, for now, impossible to solve. Refraining from getting internet help.

So I just "beat" the game and I'm not sure what to do now. Here's where I'm at:

I just got in the flying elevator and it zoomed around the island and the game ended and asked me if I wanted to start a new one. At that point I'd gotten all but 1 of the lasers. I then re-loaded my game, left the elevator, got the final laser. Now I don't know what to do. There are black pillars everywhere on the island that haven't done anything.

So far I've unlocked 2 of the "honeycomb" puzzles that play the videos underground (the one near the beginning, and the one on the side of the mountain).

The only puzzle that I can think of that I haven't solved is the one near the "sun" area, on the beach.

Any hints on what I should be doing now?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member

I just got in the flying elevator and it zoomed around the island and the game ended and asked me if I wanted to start a new one. At that point I'd gotten all but 1 of the lasers. I then re-loaded my game, left the elevator, got the final laser. Now I don't know what to do. There are black pillars everywhere on the island that haven't done anything.

So far I've unlocked 2 of the "honeycomb" puzzles that play the videos underground (the one near the beginning, and the one on the side of the mountain).

The only puzzle that I can think of that I haven't solved is the one near the "sun" area, on the beach.

Post-end game spoilers:

You still have more ground to cover . The best clue I saw was given earlier in this thread: all the lasers affect the world in the same way...

Hints in order of increasing specificity:

Go back to the mountain.

Take a close look at the top.

Specifically the orange box you used to get inside the mountain.

How many locks did you need to expose the puzzle, and how many lasers are there?

7 locks, 11 lasers. Where are the other locks?

Look at the bottom of the box.

Hints in order of increasing specificity:

Go back to the mountain.

Take a close look at the top.

Specifically the orange box you used to get inside the mountain.

How many locks did you need to expose the puzzle, and how many lasers are there?

7 locks, 11 lasers. Where are the other locks?

Look at the bottom of the box.
edit: just figured out my second question!

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I just ragequit the game for the first time -.-

During (end game)
the challenge, there's one puzzle type i never quite understood, it's the one with the symmetrical lines and different colored dots. I tried picking up one color with one line, different lines, nothing worked. How do these work?

Top Bottom