• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

GhaleonEB

Please, as you enter the endgame tag your panel and + completion counts. I'm really, really bummed someone posted them on the last page untagged, and again on this page. I had no idea how many there were, was very early in finding them, and did not want to just be counting down to a number, but that's what's happened. It's really frustrating to have that ruined and has sucked a lot of my enthusiasm out of hunting them down. Be considerate.

Eridani

I just ragequit the game for the first time -.-

During (end game)
the challenge, there's one puzzle type i never quite understood, it's the one with the symmetrical lines and different colored dots. I tried picking up one color with one line, different lines, nothing worked. How do these work?

The blue/orange dots need to be picked up with the same colored line. The black dots can be picked up by either line.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Please, as you enter the endgame tag your panel and + completion counts. I'm really, really bummed someone posted them on the last page untagged, and again on this page. I had no idea how many there were, was very early in finding them, and did not want to just be counting down to a number, but that's what's happened. It's really frustrating to have that ruined and has sucked a lot of my enthusiasm out of hunting them down. Be considerate.

For what ever it's worth, the panel count doesn't matter (because the rate that number rises varies *hugely* as the game goes on, every little thing counts, like the boat) and the game absolutely does not hide the other number from you if you investigate. Jonathan Blow was freely posting total puzzles counts on Twitter for years before the game's release. Those numbers don't really tell you much about your progress through the game or your nearness to the next unexpected, epiphanous moment.

I can be neurotic about this sort of thing myself when I'm reading a book (by, like, checking the number of pages left in the chapter before I begin reading and then obsessing about that number), so I can sympathise and I certainly won't post those numbers again, but understand that you may find yourself reading stuff like that in this thread because the game/creator clearly doesn't consider them to be a secret.

This is a personal aside: I'm at the point where my spoiler-sense is so out of sync with the majority of people in the online communities I frequent that I honestly have no idea what's going to make people fly off the handle. I (completely earnestly) find myself wanting to just spoiler block every paragraph. And even then, occasionally people get pissed off by posting spoiler tagged text in threads that aren't marked "SPOILER THREADS". I feel like an old white man complaining about PC-culture or something. I want to be stubborn, but really it'd probably just be easier to only post in spoiler threads, or not at all. That sucks.

ghostjoke

Banned
Is there any point continuing if I'm getting nothing from completing the puzzles but further disinterest in the game because I know there are only more to come? I've checked my expectations after reading through the other thread about the video from Super Bunnyhop, but even now there's just this cycle of:
>enter area
>fumble about (often missing the tutorial panels) and grinding my way to an understanding of the mechanics in place
>blitzing through a series that just feel quickly become monotonous
>slight twist is added
>rinse and repeat.

It doesn't give an "ah-ha" moment, so much as a "oh, right, on to the next", and the more I play the more I'm disliking the game. Even when it does mix things up, it's still not interesting because I'm so fed up of panels. I'm 6 hours in, by the way, and also know about the ending/story/statement (and think it's complete wank with no substance, even under a microscope). Is there anything left that could be of interest? Braid did some really interesting things as time went by that I loved (secret ending not withstanding), but I'm getting the feeling that my love of Braid is the only thing keeping me trudging forward beyond the really pretty aesthetics, which even they become stale after a while; plus most of it is staring at panels.

Eridani

Is there any point continuing if I'm getting nothing from completing the puzzles but further disinterest in the game because I know there are only more to come? I've checked my expectations after reading through the other thread about the video from Super Bunnyhop, but even now there's just this cycle of:
>enter area
>fumble about (often missing the tutorial panels) and grinding my way to an understanding of the mechanics in place
>blitzing through a series that just feel quickly become monotonous
>slight twist is added
>rinse and repeat.

It doesn't give an "ah-ha" moment, so much as a "oh, right, on to the next", and the more I play the more I'm disliking the game. Even when it does mix things up, it's still not interesting because I'm so fed up of panels. I'm 6 hours in, by the way, and also know about the ending/story/statement (and think it's complete wank with no substance, even under a microscope). Is there anything left that could be of interest? Braid did some really interesting things as time went by that I loved (secret ending not withstanding), but I'm getting the feeling that my love of Braid is the only thing keeping me trudging forward beyond the really pretty aesthetics, which even they become stale after a while; plus most of it is staring at panels.

I think it's pretty safe to say that if you are not enjoying the puzzle panels, there is really no point in going on.

Fat4all

Banned
So after getting (MAJOR MAJOR SPOILERS, LIKE PAST LATE-GAME)
all the videos and both the ending and "credits" area
I sat on the game for a while to let it digest, and I gotta say it was a damn good game. I could easily see this being on my top-ten list for 2016, and there's a hell of a lot of promising games hitting this year.

I'm gonna wait until 'bout November and give this a replay, or maybe watch a friend play it.

Fucking awesome time.

Also, I can't fucking believe (SAME CONTEXT MAJOR SPOILERS AS ABOVE)
Blow tied in the urine. What a fucking swerve.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Do you mean the green and red environment puzzles on the side of the container or something else, related to the two puzzles on either side of the colour switcher?

You can do both of those without solving the puzzles, though?

I just ragequit the game for the first time -.-

During (end game)
the challenge, there's one puzzle type i never quite understood, it's the one with the symmetrical lines and different colored dots. I tried picking up one color with one line, different lines, nothing worked. How do these work?

Yeah, I thought this was the case as well, and the other
two puzzles just added to the puzzle count.

Woops, sorry, kinda forgot all about those panels. Haven't solved them myself yet because I'm not that good with colors xD

Maybe it's just because I'm fumbling through a certain area, but I am not having any fun with this game at the moment. After doing so many of these certain puzzles, I still don't know if there's a specific set of rules or if they change at times, and it's simply not fun when you do so many and still feel like the rules are changing/inconsistent. Now I'm to some ridiculously hard looking one of these puzzles, and I found myself simply trying to brute force it (and this is after cheating out of frustration and simply looking up the answer for a certain one before it).

Basically, if I find the rules of these puzzles are indeed inconsistent (and they seem to be), I am going to hate this game.

Also, I went to another area before this one and there was a certain shape. I have no idea what this shape means so again I have no idea what the rules are and so I just left the area. That's not fun. I'll of course go back at some point and try to figure it out but again I can't say I'm having any fun with this game at the moment.

I've gone from wonder and awe at the brilliance of it to a lot of annoyed frustration.

Edit: After cheating at least it's good to see that there is more than 1 correct answer for some of these.

Fat4all

Banned
Maybe it's just because I'm fumbling through a certain area, but I am not having any fun with this game at the moment. After doing so many of these certain puzzles, I still don't know if there's a specific set of rules or if they change at times, and it's simply not fun when you do so many and still feel like the rules are changing/inconsistent. Now I'm to some ridiculously hard looking one of these puzzles, and I found myself simply trying to brute force it.

Also, I went to another area before this one and there was a certain shape. I have no idea what this shape means so again I have no idea what the rules are and so I just left the area. That's not fun. I'll of course go back at some point and try to figure it out but again I can't say I'm having any fun with this game at the moment.

I've gone from wonder and awe at the brilliance of it to a lot of annoyed frustration.

The rules are set in stone and don't change, you are just introduced to them slowly and some might have rules you won't get completely until you have to tackle the hard stuff, like the Town.

Also, nearly each biome can teach you the basics of each symbol and rule. Maybe consider visiting a few other areas if you feel like you are banging you head against a wall.

mclem

WOW.

I did that just yesterday and didn't even make the connection.

So
all the puzzles that "don't do anything"... do that.

Not exactly, I think (unless I've missed specific examples).

I think the actual puzzles in there are simply a few bonus panels to really challenge yourself. It's the room's mechanic which leads to what you've discovered, and you don't need to solve the puzzles to make use of the room's mechanic other than the 'control panel' one.

I keep getting this glitch. Whatever graphical setting, fullscreen/window, vsync/no vsync, I keep having this weird flickering stuff going on.

L8VNgqk.jpg

It's even in the menus, but not at the start when it is loading.

J Range

After letting this game sit with me, its really resonating as one of the best games ive ever played. I dont even like puzzle games, but the witness was utterly captivating and im glad i gave it a chance.

The game aesthetically is just so gorgeous and varied. Theres so many areas cleverly hidden from one another, and it makes a actually quite small island feel massive. This is absolutely how open world games should be. Free to explore and figure things out, but jam packed with content everywhere you go. I love it.

I wouldnt be surprised if it runs away with a lot of GOTY awards.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I averted my eyes when quoting this to avoid the other hints, but yes, this is what I was missing. Thanks.

Still not sure how the colors interact with this, but I'll noodle on it.

As an aside, this is the most colorblind-unfriendly game I've played in years. I'll need my wife or daughter in the room to finish the greenhouse. :(

Maybe you've already figured this out by now, but about the colors:
What colors are the walkways you can connect the turning segment with, and what colors are the 1x1 pieces on the panel?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Maybe it's just because I'm fumbling through a certain area, but I am not having any fun with this game at the moment. After doing so many of these certain puzzles, I still don't know if there's a specific set of rules or if they change at times, and it's simply not fun when you do so many and still feel like the rules are changing/inconsistent. Now I'm to some ridiculously hard looking one of these puzzles, and I found myself simply trying to brute force it (and this is after cheating out of frustration and simply looking up the answer for a certain one before it).

Basically, if I find the rules of these puzzles are indeed inconsistent (and they seem to be), I am going to hate this game.

Edit: After cheating at least it's good to see that there is more than 1 correct answer for some of these.

Hint for finding out how the different rules work (no actual rule spoilers):
Check out the boat.

More explicit tip:
The map on the boat has symbols showing where on the island you are taught different rules.

Ambitious

I'm genuinely impressed by how often the game makes me smile. But I can't help it; the sheer ingenuity of the puzzles is just astonishing.

Bowlie

Banned
Alright I'm gonna need a hint for the final puzzle in the Shady Trees area. I've already opened both gates.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CaiHVj6W0AAuwCY.jpg

To open one gate, you had to learn a certain technique. To open the other, you learned another technique. Put both to the final test.

Also I'm stuck on what I think is the final hedge maze. The puzzle doesn't seem to resemble the hedge maze and I have no idea what path to follow anyway. Clue please.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CaiHYxxW0AARrMD.jpg

You're right, the puzzle does not resemble the maze but it's not completely different too.

ghostjoke

Banned
I think it's pretty safe to say that if you are not enjoying the puzzle panels, there is really no point in going on.

Bleh, a reminder to keep hype in check. Oh well. back to waiting for the next great puzzle game. Might still check in on forums occasionally encase there is something completely out there hidden away that is brain melting.

You're right, the puzzle does not resemble the maze but it's not completely different too.

Ah I had brute forced that one but from your hint I think I understand what I was supposed to have done.

Help! I may have fucked up my game. In the
Mountain
:

Between the 1st floor and the 2nd floor, on the stairs I noticed a cage beneath them with an activation mechanism. I managed to activate it from the stairs and saw the cage going down. When I entered the 2nd floor, I notice there's a door (unaccessible atm) that leads to this cage. Is there another activation mechanism to call back the cage/elevator or have I fucked up?

P.S: on my last save, there's a hundred puzzles solved difference (and half the +puzzles). So that would be a pain to restart those all over again.

Ok so for the inconsistent
tetris
puzzle rules I was referring to...there is a certain one that does not allow for a solution
through rotation of the blocks
, even though it would work that way. I think all others do allow a
rotation
?

The puzzle I'm talking about is the one right after you first cross the yellow bridge. So it's before
you learn of the rotation rule, but if you try to solve that puzzle by using rotation (you should be able to solve it through rotating the middle set of blocks)
and can't, then that means the rules change, which was a bad idea.

Basically that puzzle should be fixed so that the other solution to it
(using rotation)
is also accepted as correct.

Edit so someone can see what puzzle I'm talking about. It's at the 3:15 mark in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i66XhuJPMo

mf.luder

Alright I'm gonna need a hint for the final puzzle in the Shady Trees area. I've already opened both gates.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CaiHVj6W0AAuwCY.jpg

Solution:
you avoid the shade (follow an unobstructed path) and you follow the tree branch.

Also I'm stuck on what I think is the final hedge maze. The puzzle doesn't seem to resemble the hedge maze and I have no idea what path to follow anyway. Clue please.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CaiHYxxW0AARrMD.jpg

Solution:
the map is different but a common path between the maze and map exists, this is what you enter.

RPGam3r

I think I'm going to stop playing this game. I'm just forcing it now. I find the lack of a pull outside of more puzzles to be a major let down. I don't find the puzzles all that engaging as all you need to do is pay attention as the game clearly is teaching you, and if it looks like you don't know it's simply because you didn't find the area/panel that was supposed to teach you.

Maybe if the game had another carot on a stick I would want to go back. Best thing in the game are the + puzzles as they are interesting from a variety point of view and feel much more like a discovery.

To those who like it have fun, but my most disappointing games of 2016 has a strong first place contender already.

Bleh, a reminder to keep hype in check. Oh well. back to waiting for the next great puzzle game. Might still check in on forums occasionally encase there is something completely out there hidden away that is brain melting.

do what i'm doing: replay the portal games, & restore your faith in puzzle humanity :) ...

Akai XIII

Help! I may have fucked up my game. In the
Mountain
:

Between the 1st floor and the 2nd floor, on the stairs I noticed a cage beneath them with an activation mechanism. I managed to activate it from the stairs and saw the cage going down. When I entered the 2nd floor, I notice there's a door (unaccessible atm) that leads to this cage. Is there another activation mechanism to call back the cage/elevator or have I fucked up?

P.S: on my last save, there's a hundred puzzles solved difference (and half the +puzzles). So that would be a pain to restart those all over again.
I did the same thing. When I got there everything was fine
it'll come back up.

Rodelero

tetris
puzzle rules I was referring to...there is a certain one that does not allow for a solution
rotation
?

The puzzle I'm talking about is the one right after you first cross the yellow bridge. So it's before
you learn of the rotation rule, but if you try to solve that puzzle by using rotation (you should be able to solve it through rotating the middle set of blocks)

(using rotation)

Edit so someone can see what puzzle I'm talking about. It's at the 3:15 mark in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i66XhuJPMo

I think you may want to look at the puzzles that introduce rotation a little closer. If you still don't see it...

directly compare those with the puzzles that come before and look at the tetris pieces themselves. If you still don't see it...

if a tetris piece can be rotated, it is tilted

Z3M0G

tetris
rotation
?

(using rotation)

You seem to misunderstand. The rules do not change. They never do in the game. You just dont fully understand the rule here. In the video are you referring to the red pannels he does after the bridge?

If you think the
tetris pieces are rotating here
, they are not... they are
moving but keeping their original rotation. When two tetris pieces touch/combine they can be moved around but the combined piece must still intersect the blocks with the shape drawings.

Ive seen people post "the rules change" a few times here... but my GF and i have done almost every puzzle by now and we believe strongly that the rules have never "changed" at any point ever.

KJ869

REBEL FM WARNING
Latest episode from start has heavy spoilers about puzzles and mechanics for solving whit no spoiler warning

I think you may want to look at the puzzles that introduce rotation a little closer. If you still don't see it...

directly compare those with the puzzles that come before and look at the tetris pieces themselves. If you still don't see it...

if a tetris piece can be rotated, it is tilted

God dammit, that last line. There's the answer. I went back and checked and you're right. I didn't understand that rule the entire time. God dammit. It really made the entire area frustrating as fuck for me. Oh well.

KevinCow

Banned
Okay, I'm just gonna turn on the game and do a couple puzzles before I go to sleep.

...Well I finished the Quarry. Maybe just a couple more.

...And now I've finished the Desert. Just a couple more, I swear.

...And now I've finished the Treetops. For real this time, just a couple more.

...And that's the Castle. Okay, this time I'm just going to go to the Town and stop playing, not even going to do any puzzles.

...Or I'll finish the Town.

Wait, the sun's up? What? What time is it? 10 AM??? FUCK.

Kinsei

Banned
I just started and oh gosh, it's nice to play a console puzzle game that's actually making me think.

I loved the panels in
the canyon that have you control two lines at once. Making the second line invisible was such a great idea. The mirrored puzzles at the end(?) of the area to activate the beam was great as well.

I love how even the
path that the wire that powers the panel takes
can factor into the puzzles solution.

Markew001

I just noticed an interesting little detail in the Temple-thingy with the Giant Red Tree. It's probably already been mentioned in this thread, but I think it's pretty cool, so for the benefit of those who haven't seen it:

Not a puzzle, just a detail from the Temple with the Red Tree:
http://i.imgur.com/aglbLS2.png
http://i.imgur.com/0zTrcre.png

I noticed these as well.. very interesting..

Quick question, is the
top of the mountain, where the lasers are pointing, once that box or whatever is open... is that the point of no return? Should I finish up everything prior to that?
A simply yes or no will suffice.. thank you! =)

Sai-kun

Banned
Holy fuck,
the 3rd movie! I was like, "it's worth a try"...and it was, haha!

edit:
the 1st movie too!

Pleeeeeeaasseeeeee tell me how
you got the first movie? I think I know which part it is, but I just can't seem to get the perspective right!

Markew: No.

Catvoca

Banned
I noticed these as well.. very interesting..

Quick question, is the
top of the mountain, where the lasers are pointing, once that box or whatever is open... is that the point of no return? Should I finish up everything prior to that?
A simply yes or no will suffice.. thank you! =)

Sort of? Will elaborate in very non-spoilery terms below

That leads to the ending, but there isn't really a point of no return. You can load a save and continue to do puzzles after the game is over. That's what most people have done.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
yeeeah i'll never get that platinum. Apparently my brain is just too slow. Bummer.

Mmmkay

Just finished. Such a beautiful game. Only one minor grumble:

Wasn't really expecting completing the game to reset the entire game. My pre end-sequence save game has me locked in the elevator so I can't backtrack and finish off realigning the desert laser to point to the mountain. It's not the end of the world, my save before then is just before I finished the desert ruins but before I even started the town :(

P.s.
Was there a cloud monolith to join up that needed the raincloud being lit up with the laser or did I blow my chance for the challenge room for no good reason?

Catvoca

Banned
Grumble (endgame):
Wasn't really expecting completing the game to reset the entire game. My pre end-sequence save game has me locked in the elevator so I can't backtrack and finish off realigning the desert laser to point to the mountain. It's not the end of the world, my save before then is just before I finished the desert ruins but before I even started the town :(

P.s.
Was there a cloud monolith to join up that needed the raincloud being lit up with the laser or did I blow my chance for the challenge room for no good reason?

Look down in the elevator. You can unlock it.

Bowlie

Banned
Grumble (endgame):

You're not locked in the elevator; search for the line puzzle.

Rodelero

Feel the same way, assuming you're talking about the last trophy.
My brain can't solve those pillar puzzles quickly at all :(

The pillar puzzles are usually pretty easy, it's only the shape of them that makes them hard. Make sure to actually take the time to look at the puzzle in its entirety before trying to solve, walk around it properly a few times before starting. (I know it's hard to be calm at that stage though!).

Top Bottom