• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

thefil

Okay so I [end-game]
finished the main stuff and took the Willy Wonka elevator ride,
but I
don't really know what to do now. I've activated all the lasers and solved around 430 puzzles.
Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Keep looking around the top
of the mountain

I need some advice on the end game if anyone could help. I've gone guide free so far so need a way of getting these answers without really spoiling anything. First
I've unlocked the challenge room. Should I do it before finishing the game? Or can I finish the game, reload, and then do the challenge room?
Second about the windmill
I've found all the keys but one, but can't find the last locked room. I've done the entrance, desert, monastery, mountain and shipwreck. Anyone know where the last one is?

Grinchy

Banned
Just beat the marsh. The mechanic introduced in that area was pretty fun! I found it much easier than it seems many others did based on a skim of the thread. The mechanics were complex, but introduced very gradually one at a time, so they weren't very hard to grasp in the end.

Yeah the marsh and the treetops were probably my favorite areas.

KarmaCow

I need some advice on the end game if anyone could help. I've gone guide free so far so need a way of getting these answers without really spoiling anything. First
I've unlocked the challenge room. Should I do it before finishing the game? Or can I finish the game, reload, and then do the challenge room?
I've found all the keys but one, but can't find the last locked room. I've done the entrance, desert, monastery, mountain and shipwreck. Anyone know where the last one is?

You do either one, it doesn't matter. There are technically points of no returns but game makes a save so you can continue no matter what you do.

As for the second thing, just keep playing.

Bowlie

Banned

Both ways are possible.

You don't have to look for it; you'll know when you find it.

Kerned

Banned
I understand what's expected of me in the
Challenge, but fuck this all the same. It's the first time I'm just straight up not having fun with this game.

Doopliss

I'm assuming you mean the one facing the light-up walking puzzles rather than the hedge maze puzzles? I actually completed that side first and yes, it lit up the laser. I did the hedge mazes later and was expecting something else to happen also.
Good to know.
And you're right that I meant the light-up side was harder. Those require knowledge of several different mechanics, with the puzzle at the top of the tower a legitimately challenging culmination, unlike the hedge side which ends in a retread.

Does anyone have info on the purpose of the second puzzle I asked about?

The colour changing room in town, with two puzzles inside.
---
I got the pattern on the wall flowers outside after changing the colour, but I didn't see any effect from completing the puzzles themselves. I solved them after doing every other puzzle in this area, but I don't think there were wires leading from this building to the tower, so I'm pretty sure it isn't an alternative way of opening doors on the way up to the laser.

Spoo

At 513 puzzles. Getting real hard to find stuff I haven't done -- I only know of 2 puzzles I haven't completed, but just finished
*all* the puzzles in the Cavern, and optional doors leading out from it

Am I wrong in suspecting other puzzle completions aren't really just a puzzle sitting about I've somehow missed, but just
redoing puzzles that have multiple solutions
?

KarmaCow

At 513 puzzles. Getting real hard to find stuff I haven't done -- I only know of 2 puzzles I haven't completed, but just finished
*all* the puzzles in the Cavern, and optional doors leading out from it

Am I wrong in suspecting other puzzle completions aren't really just a puzzle sitting about I've somehow missed, but just
redoing puzzles that have multiple solutions
?

I'm pretty sure doing a puzzle multiple times doesn't add to the counter. That said, stuff like activate all the boat summoning puzzles, single triangle tutorial panels, or elevator switches count as individual puzzles. I'm guessing the majority of the puzzles you're missing are of that kind.

Spoo

I'm pretty sure doing a puzzle multiple times doesn't add to the counter. That said, stuff like activate all the boat summoning puzzles, single triangle tutorial panels, or elevator switches count as individual puzzles. I'm guessing the majority of the puzzles you're missing are of that kind.

I'm sure I've summoned the boat in every area (maybe missing 1?), and it feels like I've done at least 1 tutorial triangle puzzle in each area. Not many elevators in the game, so I've probably hit them all. This is gonna be hell tracking some of this stuff down lol

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I have a question about a puzzle in
the mountain. I have to connect two areas with a line bridge, and I now have access to the second floor, giving me a second line. So do I need to find a way to get this second line to an exit, while the blue main line is still active? This is going to be tough, you need a long line to seperate all the stars... i've been back and forth a few times and I never have enough room to connect the yellow line. Is this really what I have to do?

These late game puzzles are tough as hell. I caved for the first time and looked at a guide
for that sequence puzzle, where you have to 'add up' panels to each previous one.
The last part of that thing was driving me nuts.

I have a question about a puzzle in
the mountain. I have to connect two areas with a line bridge, and I now have access to the second floor, giving me a second line. So do I need to find a way to get this second line to an exit, while the blue main line is still active? This is going to be tough, you need a long line to seperate all the stars... i've been back and forth a few times and I never have enough room to connect the yellow line. Is this really what I have to do?

These late game puzzles are tough as hell. I caved for the first time and looked at a guide
for that sequence puzzle, where you have to 'add up' panels to each previous one.
The last part of that thing was driving me nuts.

Hint:
Yes, you have to make a couple of trips adjusting your lines every time until you finally can go out of the place.

(Started to double-post because I realized some of these spoilers really shouldn't be answered in the same post.)

The colour changing room in town, with two puzzles inside.
---
I got the pattern on the wall flowers outside after changing the colour, but I didn't see any effect from completing the puzzles themselves. I solved them after doing every other puzzle in this area, but I don't think there were wires leading from this building to the tower, so I'm pretty sure it isn't an alternative way of opening doors on the way up to the laser.

I always thought it was the consensus that
those don't do anything
. Yesterday someone hinted at me that
they make the wall flower patterns possible
. However, I double-checked and verified that
those windows were open from the very start of the game, so you could have changed the lights for the wall flower patterns at any time

So I'm back at assuming that
those don't do anything after all

I think im going to flip out. Im at the mountain where i need to
get to the third floor

But i messed up the two giant walkway puzzles that are supposed to work together, and I cant fucking restart it, so Im trying to make the orange and blue path in a way that restarts the whole thing but i cant

Plz help

I just want to restart this puzzle but I cant get back to where I need to be

Im hating this game right now. Ive already done this section but I want to see the challenge room but totally screwed up this path puzzle.

I just have a headache now. Never has something frustrated me like this. I need a break.

Btw, I really like the windmill room. Just discovered what it's for and Im enjoying what Blow selected.

Qblivion

I've been stuck on the third floor of the mountain for days now. I just can't fucking do it on my own. Someone give me a hint for
the giant symmetry floor puzzle.

Kerned

Banned
I think im going to flip out. Im at the mountain where i need to
get to the third floor

But i messed up the two giant walkway puzzles that are supposed to work together, and I cant fucking restart it, so Im trying to make the orange and blue path in a way that restarts the whole thing but i cant

Plz help

I just want to restart this puzzle but I cant get back to where I need to be

You don't need to reset it.

Kerned

Banned
I've been stuck on the third floor of the mountain for days now. I just can't fucking do it on my own. Someone give me a hint for
the giant symmetry floor puzzle.

Small hint:
the small puzzles have multiple valid solutions.

Bigger hint:
The way you solve the smaller puzzles informs the solution the the larger one.

You don't need to reset it.

How do I work my way back? Im using the orange path to go back to the blue path starting point. But by doing that,the orange path is in the way.

I think I need a cigarette. I dont even smoke, but I just have to do something else.

Kerned

Banned
How do I work my way back? Im using the orange path to go back to the blue path starting point. But by doing that,the orange path is in the way.

I think I need a cigarette. I dont even smoke, but I just have to do something else.
You need to go back and forth a few times, making adjustments to the paths as you do so. It's sort of a pain in the ass.

KarmaCow

You're not missing anything, it's tedious and easy for one small mistake to snowball.

Just take a break. It's easy to railroad your thinking and miss other options.

Future

So are there any savants on here that can actually do the
tetris block
(just a puzzle type. Spoiling just in case) puzzles without grabbing a pen and paper. Once they add all the extra shit on top of them I just can't visualize all the options in my head

Ambitious

Tutorial is in another Area, you probably have solved already.
And the length of the line is not limited

As others have pointed out, if you've done all the lasers, you should have already done it in some form. It's combination of several rules.

As for the other stuff,
that puzzle is not related to the post games stuff.
Hint about post game stuff
The lasers are not redundant
. Further,
the lasers all do the same thing

The line is not being limited. A place that would serve as a tutorial for this would be the small peninsula with the red gate near the desert temple. And no, the door doesn't lead to that. This is its own thing.

Goddammit.
That peninsula was actually the first area I completed when I started the game last week. But I couldn't remember the colored dots at all. Embarrassing. Thanks for the help.

Regarding the lasers:
I've got eleven of them. Endgame time?

Kerned

Banned
Goddammit.
That peninsula was actually the first area I completed when I started the game last week. But I couldn't remember the colored dots at all. Embarrassing. Thanks for the help.

Regarding the lasers:
I've got eleven of them. Endgame time?

Yup!

wouwie

Can someone give me a vague hint on the
bird song panel where the pattern can't be made because there are 4 short ones and a long one but the bird is doing 5 short ones
? I was hoping to solve everything without help but i'm just not seeing this one, no matter how many times i go back to it.

Okay, so I'm repeatedly attempting what I assume is the
challenge
, and yeah, it's kind of a thing. Wish I had been streaming when I first encountered it and realized its scope, I must have had the silliest damn grin on my face.

I'm getting frustrated with it, though, and not for the right reasons. Basically, this is the single part of the game that must be easier on PC.
The turning speed on PS4 is so fucking slow. Running through the maze trying to find the lit panels would be so much faster if I could actually whip my head around, especially since the narrow POV means you have to be looking at the panels pretty much head-on to see them since they're a little recessed. It wastes an incredible amount of time.
Drives me fucking crazy.

Edit: Speaking of PC. Hey modders, this part of the game, you should replace
the music with this.

Okay, so I'm repeatedly attempting what I assume is the
challenge
, and yeah, it's kind of a thing. Wish I had been streaming when I first encountered it and realized its scope, I must have had the silliest damn grin on my face.

I'm getting frustrated with it, though, and not for the right reasons. Basically, this is the single part of the game that must be easier on PC.
The turning speed on PS4 is so fucking slow. Running through the maze trying to find the lit panels would be so much faster if I could actually whip my head around, especially since the narrow POV means you have to be looking at the panels pretty much head-on to see them since they're a little recessed. It wastes an incredible amount of time.
Drives me fucking crazy.

Edit: Speaking of PC. Hey modders, this part of the game, you should replace
the music with this.

The fourth puzzle tells you what panels are lit later on, I believe.

BKJest

Can someone give me a vague hint on the
bird song panel where the pattern can't be made because there are 4 short ones and a long one but the bird is doing 5 short ones
? I was hoping to solve everything without help but i'm just not seeing this one, no matter how many times i go back to it.
If the bird pattern doesn't match the format is there maybe another noise that matches?

Finally beat the mountain and
took the elevator to the new game.
Now time to go back and clear the last remaining couple areas I haven't cleared out and start working on this post game.

Qblivion

So I just finished it. Question:

does the game actually want me to start over or am I mean to just load my last save to do the rest of the puzzles and the challenge?

wouwie

If the bird pattern doesn't match the format is there maybe another noise that matches?

I figured it would be the other sound but i could't find a matching pattern either. It's only by using headphones really loud that i just noticed the small tone shift at the beginning
. Thanks for the help.

KraytarJ

tetris block
(just a puzzle type. Spoiling just in case) puzzles without grabbing a pen and paper. Once they add all the extra shit on top of them I just can't visualize all the options in my head
I did almost all of them without a pen and paper. There was one in particular that had so many things to combine that I had to write it down. They just made sense to me and were without a doubt my favourite class. Although (puzzle-type spoiler)
fuck combining Tetris shapes and symmetry, it sounded so fun but it was just so tedious.

Stampy

tetris block

Did all the
tetris puzzles
in head no problem. Actually it was pretty easy combining and visulizing different options at the same time, however I was having such a hard time with
contextual puzzles (answear in the environmen)
that it's not even fun. Guess it all comes down to how our minds work.

Did all the
tetris puzzles
in head no problem. Actually it was pretty easy combining and visulizing different options at the same time, however I was having such a hard time with

Thats one of the great things about playing this game and talking to other people and my friends who are playing, everyone seems to breeze through certain types of puzzles and get hung up on others and its different for each person based on how they think and see each puzzle type.

Future

Did all the
tetris puzzles

I had no problems with those ha. Just the
flipping, rotating, erasing, stacking
combo potential always made my brain explode

ekimneems

Neo Member
I've a partial answer and a followup question:

The partial answer:
There are valid solutions that also avoid the perspective issues.

The followup question (not for you, really, but potentially for others who've solved it!)
I've not done all of them, however. One I haven't done successfully is the top-right as viewed from the tower. I have noticed that that one is also viewable from the battlements over on that side of the castle. Is it two separate +1s here - one viewed from the tower, the other from the battlements - or is it only a +1 from the battlements, and the tower is a red herring?

Definitely feeling even dumber now because after your hint I tried for awhile and still don't really see it. The only place I can seem to activate these is from the top of the tower, except the pink one which I can activate on the other side wall of the keep. But still can't solve any of them.

tetris block

Some of the more difficult ones I did need to work out on a pad
especially when they roll out the non-contiguous pieces
, but for the most part I did them in my head.

KarmaCow

Definitely feeling even dumber now because after your hint I tried for awhile and still don't really see it. The only place I can seem to activate these is from the top of the tower, except the pink one which I can activate on the other side wall of the keep. But still can't solve any of them.

I think this applies to the top right especially but remember that
you (the player) are not actually on a fixed grid.

The followup question (not for you, really, but potentially for others who've solved it!)
I've not done all of them, however. One I haven't done successfully is the top-right as viewed from the tower. I have noticed that that one is also viewable from the battlements over on that side of the castle. Is it two separate +1s here - one viewed from the tower, the other from the battlements - or is it only a +1 from the battlements, and the tower is a red herring?

Answer to your question:
It's just one environmental puzzle. Do it from the top.

Here's a vague hint if you want:
This environment puzzle is only possible once you've completed this side of the keep.

More concrete:
The correct path for the environment puzzle cannot be walked in a continuous line.

traveler

Not Wario
tetris block

I have to write down any kind of puzzle where you have to look back and forth from the puzzle, but, for some reason, I found the
tetris block puzzles
the easiest thing in the game. Didnt have to draw anything for any of them and, once I understood the mechanic, could very quickly go through all the possible answers just by looking at the grid.

Don't get me wrong, I've had to draw a lot of other stuff in the game, but those just click for some reason.

Top Bottom