• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I just realized. Right this moment. After dozens of hours. Doing the hardest of the hard puzzles. That holding R2 (not L2 like run) makes the line go fast.

I want to burn everything beautiful to the ground.
Are you effing kidding me

Two Words

Swamp area question:

Edit: Nevermind, I think I found a missed area.

I feel like I've solved every puzzle I've come across in the swamp. I just did the 2 areas where you go down the staris. One was blue colored and the other was yellow/orange colored. At this point, I think I'm supposed to make it to the red area, but I see no way to get back there and can't find any unsolved puzzles. Am I missing something to drain the red area?

12694909_10101287361030080_5952187692499179404_o.jpg

I'm pretty darn stuck on this one! Anyone else get destroyed on it?

Don't tell me how to solve it.... just felt like venting. I've been stuck here for an hour or two.
A hint if you want it
the eliminator thing does have to work solely for the big squares...

GhaleonEB

Swamp area question:

Edit: Nevermind, I think I found a missed area.

I feel like I've solved every puzzle I've come across in the swamp. I just did the 2 areas where you go down the staris. One was blue colored and the other was yellow/orange colored. At this point, I think I'm supposed to make it to the red area, but I see no way to get back there and can't find any unsolved puzzles. Am I missing something to drain the red area?

Hah, I did the exact same thing yesterday.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Really getting my noodle baked on the red Tetris themed puzzles in the marsh. Not sure what I'm missing. Don't exactly want a hint but just am coming up with nothing.

Kerned

Banned
I am disappointed in myself, but I may throw in the towel on (post game spoilers)
the Challenge. I just hate it, I'm not having any fun with it. If you have to think for too long on any given puzzle you are totally fucked. The symmetry puzzle frequently slows me down too much. Same with the part where you need to determine which of the three puzzles is solvable. Also, the triangle puzzles in the maze can be really rough. I understand the rules but I frequently get arrangements of shapes that I can't figure out a valid solution for. The whole thing is bumming me out, and worst of all it's making me hate Grieg.

If anyone has any tips I would be glad to hear them.
I do already know that the fourth puzzle is a map of the maze.

Endish game....

http://imgur.com/a/5k1YG

Sweet fuck. :|

Yeah, that part was rough.

I am disappointed in myself, but I may throw in the towel on (post game spoilers)
the Challenge. I just hate it, I'm not having any fun with it. If you have to think for too long on any given puzzle you are totally fucked. The symmetry puzzle frequently slows me down too much. Same with the part where you need to determine which of the three puzzles is solvable. Also, the triangle puzzles in the maze can be really rough. I understand the rules but I frequently get arrangements of shapes that I can't figure out a valid solution for. The whole thing is bumming me out, and worst of all it's making me hate Grieg.

If anyone has any tips I would be glad to hear them.
I do already know that the fourth puzzle is a map of the maze.

Some tips:

For symmetry, try to remember patterns that can help you. For example, the third row inward from the starting point is important. I believe that if you reach that third row and cross the vertical middle line, that immediately decides which exit you must take.

For the sets of three, any 2x2 square with alternating colors immediately means the puzzle is unsolvable. Also, I'm pretty sure that three colors arranged in a "corner" arrangement immediately means the puzzle is unsolvable.

For the triangles, it's tough because there just aren't that many chances to practice. Remember that triple triangles usually mean you must reverse direction - there generally isn't enough room to let you pass one and still go in the same direction. For double triangles you will always either turn a corner or pass on opposite sides.

M3z_

End game stuff

This puzzle might break me, I've probably spent two hours trying to beat it, this is the first time I've hit this hard of a wall.

xvyJ5ij.png

Chris R

End game stuff

This puzzle might break me, I've probably spent two hours trying to beat it, this is the first time I've hit this hard of a wall.

xvyJ5ij.png

Keep at it. Make sure you are stepping back when you start the final puzzle so you can see at least three of the other panels to keep you on track.

I was stuck for a bit there too, then got it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone know if any puzzles have multiple possible solutions, or is there always just one solution?

okay so I've had some freezing/crashing issues with this game which hasn't really surprised me because my computer isn't super powerful. Not a huge problem usually but now when I start up the game it's just stuck on the title screen with no loading symbols. Am I screwed?

GhaleonEB

Does anyone know if any puzzles have multiple possible solutions, or is there always just one solution?

There's usually one correct solution, but the further you go, the more you run into puzzles with several different solutions. But usually those solutions each have a specific purpose.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I've got to the theater room segment. This game is just stupidly great and I feel like I've barely even scratched the surface yet. It runs smooth as butter too, very impressive visually.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
There's usually one correct solution, but the further you go, the more you run into puzzles with several different solutions. But usually those solutions each have a specific purpose.

Thanks!

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Stuck at the same end game floor puzzle, if you wouldn't mind a tad more hinting.

I realized the above two hints already, and I believe I have a solution. But the problem is the solution requires the top right smaller puzzle's answer to be in the 'L' shape. Based on the configuration of that puzzle, I cannot for the life of me see how I can solve that puzzle making that shape.

What I wanted to know, basic hint wise - is if it is possible to make that L shape, or if it is not. I'm guessing that's the trick to the puzzle - that the top right one you can ONLY make that weird three block solution which forces you to come up with some other arrangement of the other pieces I am not seeing. But I keep seeing ways I COULD solve it if I could make that top right puzzle into that L shape.

Appreciate the assist!

EDIT: And of course, as soon as I sat back down I got it. Figures! On ward!
So i found a solution without the L. Were you able to make the L shape on that puzzle. I could not figure out how to make that shape.

Did a bit of cleanup after finishing the big final endgame puzzle,
watched the last video
(which was awesome), grabbed a couple more + puzzles, and after a bit of searching, found my way to the end.

My immediate reaction after experiencing it: "Same." :lol

This was a pretty awesome thing.

So i found a solution without the L. Were you able to make the L shape on that puzzle. I could not figure out how to make that shape.

As far as I can tell
there is no way to make the top right puzzle into an L. I figure it's Blow's way of guiding you to the right answer.
Another one, of many, puzzles that made sense after a day away.

Finished the critical path. Not sure what I was expecting to "end" The Witness - but even keeping that in mind the ending was... Unexpected.

Now, onto the Challenge mode. Less concerned about cheating here. I wouldn't have know there even was a Challenge mode if not for careless spoilers here. Really curious how people stumbled onto it - as I noticed the inactive panel before the final room but I doubt I would have thought to go back to the entrance and especially wouldn't have noticed the bottom of that one box. Still - enjoying this kind of SAT of puzzle concepts. Curious to actually try my hand at the challenge but for now I'm enjoying the panels in the rooms leading up to it.

Now, onto the Challenge mode. Less concerned about cheating here. I wouldn't have know there even was a Challenge mode if not for careless spoilers here. Really curious how people stumbled onto it - as I noticed the inactive panel before the final room but I doubt I would have thought to go back to the entrance and especially wouldn't have noticed the bottom of that one box. Still - enjoying this kind of SAT of puzzle concepts. Curious to actually try my hand at the challenge but for now I'm enjoying the panels in the rooms leading up to it.

The clue was
the unique cable leading out of the inactive panel being the same one as the inactive cable at the top of the mountain.

I think in general,
most people were expected to enter the mountain and finish with less than 11 lasers, get the ending, then go back out to get the remaining lasers. And then, with any luck you are looking up as you leave.

I loved the
tunnel full of tetris puzzles
. Almost no one has
asked for help with most of the puzzles leading up to the challenge, which I think is an indicator of just how far we all had come when we got this far. The one exception I can think of is the big color puzzle, which I think must qualify as one of the best challenges in the game.

Ionic

Somebody just tell me. Has anybody made a tool yet that lets me create and arrange tetrominos for a visual aid or am I going to have to cut them out myself?

GhaleonEB

Somebody just tell me. Has anybody made a tool yet that lets me create and arrange tetrominos for a visual aid or am I going to have to cut them out myself?

I wonder if there's an online tool. This sits next to my controller currently and has served me well.

CaG9Vk3UkAAlU4Z.jpg

CaG9U4HUsAAt88-.jpg

The only downside is they keep throwing more shapes at you. I think I'm up to like 30+ cutouts and five grid sizes. :lol

Grinchy

Banned
My coffee table is littered with puzzle pieces. I've only just started my 3rd sheet of graphing paper, though. I think I'm pretty close to finishing the game and I don't want it to end.

Qblivion

Are there any unsolvable possibilities during
the timed music challenge
? The one I am staring at right now sure seems like it.

Are there any unsolvable possibilities during
the timed music challenge
? The one I am staring at right now sure seems like it.

Well, those two sets of 3 color division ones are all about distinguishing the solvable panel from the unsolvable ones.

But everything else is guaranteed solvable. If nothing else you can take a screenshot and check later.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
holy shit I just got new puzzle instructions from one of the
boxes
that obviously were made for
the very first door puzzle. And then I realized what that means and did the "obvious". Holy shit this game.

edit fuuuuuu

next edit heavy heavy spoilers I guess
wat. What is all this madness. Why are there two rooms with challenge record players "next" to each other? Why does the second balcony of this building exist at a completely diferent place than the first one?`Is there crazy magic science going on? And what a great idea for the credits.

edit edit:
one of the monitors up there shows the forest door closed. Are there multiple islands? o.o

edit edit edit
what the shit

edit edit edit edit
what. WHAT. oh god this game lol Chapeau, Mr. Blow. I did not at all expect any of this.

edit edit:
one of the monitors up there shows the forest door closed. Are there multiple islands? o.o

Technically
you can get in there as soon as you start the game (and a couple people in this thread accidentally got in on day one), so I guess they couldn't assume anything.

If only you could actually sit up there and watch other people run around in the challenge.

I'm in the endgame part now and this is the first time I'm not having fun with the game. The
sequence puzzle where you have to combine elements from previous panels... It's a bit of a drag.

This was my favourite puzzle in the whole game. The grin when I realised what was happening, man, so good.

M3z_

Keep at it. Make sure you are stepping back when you start the final puzzle so you can see at least three of the other panels to keep you on track.

I was stuck for a bit there too, then got it.

I'm guessing this is a hint at one of the theories I have been testing already, but even then I have not been able to figure it out.

So far I have thought

1. It is straight forward and you have to solve in a way that solves all six boards like previous boards before it. No tricks.

2. The 3 right boards don't have wires connecting them to the 3 left boards so maybe I only need to solve for the 3 right boards. However I have done that and it has not solved the puzzle. So I thought maybe I have to solve only the 3 right board and make sure to fail the 3 left boards in the process. It seems to me that is impossible, maybe I have just been closed minded.

3. That I only have to solve the 5 right boards. This seems like a real stretch, but it basically based on the idea that the first board is missing the polarizer so it looks different from the other have 5. That seems very minor and unlikely but I'm grasping at straws with how stumped I've been.

M3z_

I'm guessing this is a hint at one of the theories I have been testing already, but even then I have not been able to figure it out.

So far I have thought

1. It is straight forward and you have to solve in a way that solves all six boards like previous boards before it. No tricks.

2. The 3 right boards don't have wires connecting them to the 3 left boards so maybe I only need to solve for the 3 right boards. However I have done that and it has not solved the puzzle. So I thought maybe I have to solve only the 3 right board and make sure to fail the 3 left boards in the process. It seems to me that is impossible, maybe I have just been closed minded.

3. That I only have to solve the 5 right boards. This seems like a real stretch, but it basically based on the idea that the first board is missing the polarizer so it looks different from the other have 5. That seems very minor and unlikely but I'm grasping at straws with how stumped I've been.

Got it, fuck me

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Blows eight hour 100 % speedrun was good for a week after launch. 3 hours, 16 minutes is the current world record. Any % is down to 22 minutes.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
The stupid challenge
is pure luck depending on the labyrinth, what puzzles you get and where they appear. Hate it so much.

Top Bottom