• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Kinsei

Banned
Requiring you to do a panel from behind in order to see the palm trees across the water
was very clever.

I'm finally stuck.
I'm at the logging site and after finishing one path where I had to follow the shadows, I'm now doing the one where you have to use the gaps in the shadows projected onto nearby objects in order to find the correct path through the maze. I made it to the third one of these but I just can't picture the right path in my head. I think I'll need to get some graph paper and map it out by hand.

Fat4all

Banned
I've a solved a bunch of the triangle puzzles and I still don't understand the rules. What are they?

Direct Spoiler Below:

Number of triangles = how many sides of the square need to be touched with the line.
Doesn't mater what side of the square, just the amount of times it touches.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I have to write down any kind of puzzle where you have to look back and forth from the puzzle, but, for some reason, I found the
tetris block puzzles
the easiest thing in the game. Didnt have to draw anything for any of them and, once I understood the mechanic, could very quickly go through all the possible answers just by looking at the grid.

Don't get me wrong, I've had to draw a lot of other stuff in the game, but those just click for some reason.

I'm sure I'm just too dumb for this, but I feel like the Tetris puzzles don't always follow the same rules. Some of them seem to allow for you to rotate the shapes, while others don't.

Fat4all

Banned
I'm sure I'm just too dumb for this, but I feel like the Tetris puzzles don't always follow the same rules. Some of them seem to allow for you to rotate the shapes, while others don't.

Take a look at the ones that do allow and the ones that don't.

They are different in a specific way.

GhaleonEB

I beat the marsh. I beat. The. Marsh.

That last puzzle was amazeballs.

Near-end marsh:
My brain just wanted to curl up and die when I saw the piece that was a grid the same size as the entire board. 0_o

Noodled it out on paper and it wasn't so bad, but it took me a few moments to even figure out how to approach it.

Fat4all

Banned
Yeah. I missed a dot. But I just completed a load of puzzles in this very room that required that I do exactly that.

You HAVE to make one mistake, not two like you are in that picture.

At least, in this puzzle. I could give you a better idea of how the mechanics work for this set if you want.

Fat4all

Banned
Aaaaaaaaargh!!!!!

:D

If you want an idea of what these puzzles are going for:

For what I've gathered, the weird triangle thing is like a sort of 'activator', it's directly what caused the lifts to move up and down and whatnot. The activator has to be placed with something it can activate, and it can't activate itself. The activator triangle and what needs to be activated cannot be separated by a line. One activator = one thing it can activate.

Them's the basics, they get pretty dastardly as they go on, though.

I just realized. Right this moment. After dozens of hours. Doing the hardest of the hard puzzles. That holding R2 (not L2 like run) makes the line go fast.

I want to burn everything beautiful to the ground.

Fat4all

Banned
I just realized. Right this moment. After dozens of hours. Doing the hardest of the hard puzzles. That holding R2 (not L2 like run) makes the line go fast.

I want to burn everything beautiful to the ground.

I can't even imagine not knowing that for some of the late-game stuff, oh man...

Chopper

For what I've gathered, the weird triangle thing is like a sort of 'activator', it's directly what caused the lifts to move up and down and whatnot. The activator has to be placed with something it can activate, and it can't activate itself. The activator triangle and what needs to be activated cannot be separated by a line. One activator = one thing it can activate.

The rule there is that
you can't have the black and white blocks in the same segments, right? No idea what that blue symbol is, though.
Thanks guys. I did it. No problem actually, once I realised I could only
make one mistake

But it lead to nothing. Actually, it lead to an elevator that took me somewhere I could alreay go, and a puzzle that I cannot solve. So I took a boat to a place that should be able to teach me the ruleset for said puzzle. And I'm stuck! These stars make no sense!

Edit: Oh shit! Yes they do!

Qblivion

What exactly am I supposed to do with
the floor puzzle at the starting area?
only 3 of the 4 exits are possible but none of them have done anything.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
I did the challenge without it.

I DID THE CHALLENGE WITHOUT IT.

I DESERVE 2 PLATINUM TROPHIES GODDAMMIT.

Witness Late Game Run

me too, man. i am done with the game and i had no idea r2 makes the line go faster

granted, i used a controller on the pc and i hade the mouse setting for 2d movement speed set to what is probably close to, if not faster than, what you get from holding down r2.

Okay, I need a little more help.

My theory is that
after taking the Willy Wonka elevator ride the game wants me to find all of the environmental puzzles and complete the black columns.
Is this the case? I don't want to be burrowing down the wrong path lol

Stoze

Okay, I need a little more help.

My theory is that
after taking the Willy Wonka elevator ride the game wants me to find all of the environmental puzzles and complete the black columns.
Is this the case? I don't want to be burrowing down the wrong path lol

That ending honestly isn't really telling you to do anything. Also don't start a new save file, you can get everything on the same save file that you beat the game with (it autosaves before the elevator).

mclem

That seems somewhat overthinky.

My interpretation:

A segment that contains a propellor must contain exactly one other symbol which errors

Chopper

That seems somewhat overthinky.

My interpretation:

A segment that contains a propellor must contain exactly one other symbol which errors
Yeah. That's how I got through the area. Took a bit of nudging, but it kinda make sense eventually.

mclem

A little guidance. I'm not going to ask for too much, just a nod about whether I'm on the right track, or if not, at least which bit I need to look at.

Shipwreck:

I've been delving around with audio editors, slowing down, and things of that ilk. And I think I've broken down the droplets into three distinct sounds, which to my (somewhat ropey ears) sound like:

ML
LHM
HM

(I'm aware this is not necessarily the correct order of droplets, but I wanted to confirm I'd broken them down to tones correctly).
First of all: Are those three correct, and if not, which is wrong?

Please don't say all three!

Stoze

Yeah I have no idea why the game doesn't prompt you about the sprint button or the speed up cursor button. It's kind of a thoughtless oversight especially considering it prompts you on movement and the button that brings up the cursor in the first room in the game.

Not having vertical and horizontal looking sensitivity is pretty dumb as well.

A little guidance. I'm not going to ask for too much, just a nod about whether I'm on the right track, or if not, at least which bit I need to look at.

Shipwreck:

I've been delving around with audio editors, slowing down, and things of that ilk. And I think I've broken down the droplets into three distinct sounds, which to my (somewhat ropey ears) sound like:

ML
LHM
HM

(I'm aware this is not necessarily the correct order of droplets, but I wanted to confirm I'd broken them down to tones correctly).
First of all: Are those three correct, and if not, which is wrong?

Please don't say all three!

Here's a hint to the general approach of this puzzle, so you don't end up spending 5 hours, like I did.

Don't overthink the interpretation of different sounds. Don't chase information that is not there.

More specifically

When you hear a sound think of it as containing one pitch only. Even though technically a drop sound contains several notes in quick succession, think of it as just one sound with one pitch, which may be high or low in comparison to other drop sounds.

Bigger hint:

The same goes for any other kind of sound you're trying to interpret

Papu_Kweh

Hey guys, sorry if this has been posted already but... any news on a fix for the glitch where you fall of the boat? I got stuck in the water and can't go back to the island. I load the game and the boat is already long gone. It seems to be a common glitch too, since I saw a video and a couple reviews mentioning it.

I know I could just load an earlier save but... I'd just done the
challenge and lots of enviromental puzzles
and my last save was from hours ago. I was loving the game but really wouldn't like to redo it all...

That ending honestly isn't really telling you to do anything. Also don't start a new save file, you can get everything on the same save file that you beat the game with (it autosaves before the elevator).

So
accessing the challenge has nothing to do with the environment puzzles?

We need to make some kind of memorial for everyone who did the
Challenge
without
holding R2/RT and/or using the maze map.

At some point it deserves recognition.

Oops, I thought there was one there, It doesn't look like so I don't know what happened.

The puzzle started out with
four black dots bordering the lower sides of the lower red squares.

In that picture
three black dots were crossed and one was missed. The missed one was cancelled out.

Can someone explain to me why I got this puzzle right?

http://i.imgur.com/ZnKuku8.jpg

Is this what the panel looks like if you undo it?

When you complete a panel successfully, the triangle will do its thing and the panel will look different compared to how it looked before you solved it. If you want all the information you had when you solved it back on the panel you have to start inputting a solution again.

We need to make some kind of memorial for everyone who did the
Challenge
without
holding R2/RT and/or using the maze map.

At some point it deserves recognition.

I didn't use the map, didn't know until I beat the game but I did use the R2 of course.

The Witness Challenge

That fellow that won the challenge with 0 time left, he didn't use R2/RT in the whole challenge, he probably didn't know abou that skill.

Chopper

The puzzle started out with
four black dots bordering the lower sides of the lower red squares.

In that picture
three black dots were crossed and one was missed. The missed one was cancelled out.
Where's the missed one?

Is this what the panel looks like if you undo it?

When you complete a panel successfully, the triangle will do its thing and the panel will look different than it did when you solved it. If you want all the information you had when you solved it back on the panel you have to start inputting a solution again.
Ah. It disappeared because I completed the puzzle? I see. I'm an idiot who should pay more attention.

What exactly am I supposed to do with
the floor puzzle at the starting area?
only 3 of the 4 exits are possible but none of them have done anything.

Actually,
telling you what to do with it would give it away. You will not find the solution until you know what you're supposed to do with it first.

Where's the missed one?

It was
between the lower-right red square and the blank square below it. You can still faintly see it if you look closely.

That's the thing about the quarry puzzles: they make less sense after you finish them because that icon makes things disappear.

Chopper

It was
between the lower-right red square and the blank square below it. You can still faintly see it if you look closely.

That's the thing about the quarry puzzles: they make less sense after you finish them because that icon makes things disappear.
Gotcha. Cheers man.

Small hint:
the small puzzles have multiple valid solutions.

Bigger hint:
The way you solve the smaller puzzles informs the solution the the larger one.

Stuck at the same end game floor puzzle, if you wouldn't mind a tad more hinting.

I realized the above two hints already, and I believe I have a solution. But the problem is the solution requires the top right smaller puzzle's answer to be in the 'L' shape. Based on the configuration of that puzzle, I cannot for the life of me see how I can solve that puzzle making that shape.

What I wanted to know, basic hint wise - is if it is possible to make that L shape, or if it is not. I'm guessing that's the trick to the puzzle - that the top right one you can ONLY make that weird three block solution which forces you to come up with some other arrangement of the other pieces I am not seeing. But I keep seeing ways I COULD solve it if I could make that top right puzzle into that L shape.

Appreciate the assist!

EDIT: And of course, as soon as I sat back down I got it. Figures! On ward!

Peltz

12694909_10101287361030080_5952187692499179404_o.jpg

I'm pretty darn stuck on this one! Anyone else get destroyed on it?

Don't tell me how to solve it.... just felt like venting. I've been stuck here for an hour or two.

Top Bottom