• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Haemi

The stupid challenge
is pure luck depending on the labyrinth, what puzzles you get and where they appear. Hate it so much.

No it's not. You just have to look closer at what you do before arriving at the labyrinth while doing the challenge

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
No it's not. You just have to look closer at what you do before arriving at the labyrinth while doing the challenge

Yeah,
the labyrinth seems to be the second challenge puzzle, but that doesn't help much with the puzzle location and not getting utterly lost due to running around like an idiot, as I tend to do :( I have no idea how I would even begin to properly navigate.

Yrael

Aaaaaaaand end game. 415+24.

I'm feeling a bit burned out though, so I might take a break before going back to explore more of the post-game.

I felt that making paint diagrams for some of the last few puzzles made them easier to handle, ie. (solution for one of the last ones, don't click until you have the "end game" trophy): http://i.imgur.com/RjXxlHd.png

collige

Banned
Yeah,
the labyrinth seems to be the second challenge puzzle, but that doesn't help much with the puzzle location and not getting utterly lost due to running around like an idiot, as I tend to do :( I have no idea how I would even begin to properly navigate.

The puzzle locations are shown to you as well

Scizzy

Yeah,

Very late game advice:

I took the 10 seconds to sketch out the pathway out of the maze on a piece of paper and the time it saved when I got there was completely worth it.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
This was my favourite puzzle in the whole game. The grin when I realised what was happening, man, so good.

Looking back, the design of it is genius, but I was mentally exhausted at that point I guess :p I started the endgame area after being consumed by this game for days (with
420+
panels completed, and I was ready to end it, and was rushing things. But the design of it is incredible.

Anyway, I beat the game now, but I only see a 'new game' option, yikes! If I start a new game, I still have a save right before the ending right?

I felt that making paint diagrams for some of the last few puzzles made them easier to handle, ie. (solution for one of the last ones, don't click until you have the "end game" trophy): http://i.imgur.com/RjXxlHd.png

Felt so good when I got that one, hardest of that puzzle set.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
1) I need spoilers/solution on the
loon sound
puzzle. I have tried every possible combination for that and nothing works. Is it glitching and not playing another sound?

2) Is the secret of the
sun/desert
puzzles the
reflection of the sun on the puzzle itself
? Because, if so, I need hints on how to make it easier.

3) In the
town
, I see a yellow platform with a puzzle. I complete the puzzle both ways to make it work, but the platform doesn't move. Do I have to activate something else to make it move?

4) In that same area is a puzzle with 3 solutions needed to light up the next puzzle. I got two--the remaining one has to do with
branch shadows
but the exit is concealed by the tree. Hints?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

Thanks. Right now I feel like taking a break from the game, but I still want to find
the cinema puzzles I missed, and check out the underground section. I have 6 + puzzles, but it'd take me ages to track those down.

All things considered, this is an early goty contender and I'm thinking it'd be hard for anything to top it. One of the best puzzle games I've played, and maybe even in my overall list of favorite games. Like others said, it really feels like a mental metroidvania/rpg, where progress is only blocked by not having found or understood a ruleset yet. Brilliant design all around in this.

And now, time to come clean: I used help for 3 puzzles near the end:
the final panel of the sequence puzzle, the 2 bridges puzzle and the big symmetry puzzle with the tetris blocks.
I really wanted to finish the game this weekend, I'm weak. But I'll take 3 out of 420something.

Ambitious

Totally stuck at one of the endgame puzzles.

CanOT65W4AAX8gE.jpg:large

I don't get it. There are only two possibilities for the tetris piece's position: I can put it so that the tetromino icon is the short end of the piece. But then the upper star is isolated without a partner and the solution is invalid. So I have to move it down by one block so that it isolates the top right square. But then I don't have a way of separating the other squares.

I'm sure there's some trickery with the colors involved, but I can't figure it out. I've recorded it with my phone so I can inspect the puzzle with different background colors. When the background is blue, the icons which are red in the screenshot disappear. But this doesn't help me because I still have to separate the purple, green and cyan ones.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I don't get it. There are only two possibilities for the tetris piece's position: I can put it so that the tetromino icon is the short end of the piece. But then the upper star is isolated without a partner and the solution is invalid. So I have to move it down by one block so that it isolates the top right square. But then I don't have a way of separating the other squares.

I'm sure there's some trickery with the colors involved, but I can't figure it out. I've recorded it with my phone so I can inspect the puzzle with different background colors. When the background is blue, the icons which are red in the screenshot disappear. But this doesn't help me because I still have to separate the purple, green and cyan ones.

Hint:
are you sure that star is isolated in all the scenarios you talk about?

Crispy

Could someone give me some explanation or a hint on the use of the
blue outline square tetris blocks
?

I'm now at the second puzzle in the
underwater chamber with a reddish line in it
in the marsh and going from the first puzzle it seems the blocks
let you cross shapes
but this doesn't work for the second puzzle. There doesn't seem any logical explanation as to the use of the blocks in this puzzle...

Vexidus

Could someone give me some explanation or a hint on the use of the
blue outline square tetris blocks
?

I'm now at the second puzzle in the
underwater chamber with a reddish line in it
in the marsh and going from the first puzzle it seems the blocks
let you cross shapes
but this doesn't work for the second puzzle. There doesn't seem any logical explanation as to the use of the blocks in this puzzle...

Straight answer, try experimenting with the tutorial before reading:

The blue pieces subtract squares from the shape

Sai-kun

Banned
Totally stuck at one of the endgame puzzles.

CanOT65W4AAX8gE.jpg:large

If the red stars are disappearing, you haven't captured the correct color of the screen.

boeso

Really struggling (endgame):
Stuck on the giant board at the bottom of the elevator. Cut out the pieces like some have suggested for the tetris ones but still can't see it. I've tried so many combinations, I can make the 2 shapes on the right half fine, its the other 2. Am I right in thinking theres only 1 shape which can be rotated, or can all of them be rotated?

collige

Banned
Stuck on the giant board at the bottom of the elevator. Cut out the pieces like some have suggested for the tetris ones but still can't see it. I've tried so many combinations, I can make the 2 shapes on the right half fine, its the other 2. Am I right in thinking theres only 1 shape which can be rotated, or can all of them be rotated?
Only one can be rotated in the 4 smaller puzzles, but the orientation you pick affects how you have to solve the larger one.

mclem

(Keep)

Answer to your question:
It's just one environmental puzzle. Do it from the top.

Here's a vague hint if you want:
This environment puzzle is only possible once you've completed this side of the keep.

More concrete:
The correct path for the environment puzzle cannot be walked in a continuous line.

Amusingly:
That was my original answer to the main puzzle. I'd twigged that there were going to be environmental puzzles from these, so I built my planning of solutions taking what was visible from the keep into account. I got somewhat thrown when I found that my solution from the keep wasn't doable from ground level!

Of course, that was before I opened up the reverse loop. So I should be able to manage it now!

mclem

(Postgame content)

Challenge completed!

And, at the risk of making people here very angry... took me about 75 minutes, at an estimate.

Further comments
Reading related spoilers, now, I had no idea that the labyrinth had a map! I happen to be fairly good at pure mazes, so I was able to cover quite a lot of ground quite rapidly. It was a bit dependent on being fortunate with the puzzles' locations, but I could get to the exit very quickly after that.

Still need to polish off
Shipwreck puzzle (and assuming that's the final movie), quite a lot of environmental puzzles (finished one pillar, over by the desert)... I think that's it off the top of my head?

owasog

Thanks. Right now I feel like taking a break from the game, but I still want to find
the cinema puzzles I missed, and check out the underground section. I have 6 + puzzles, but it'd take me ages to track those down.
I want to get to
the underground section
too. I've seen
several entrances but every one them is out of reach or blocked by a closed door

I finished the game and I am playing again to find all the secrets but it's hard. I solved four of the six
cinema puzzles
and I know the location of
the fifth one (that damn sound puzzle on the wreck! I don't get it) But where is the sixth diagram!?!
I don't see a
sixth secret door
anywhere and in desperation I've even searched for
hexagon patterns in the basalt columns of the mountain.
No luck.

And what's the deal with the black pillars
that turn white when you find all the symbols on them? You can't do anything with them when they turn white
What's more, I'm not even sure I can find all the
symbols of the pillar in the town because when you draw the symbol on the glowing energy field door (in the starting area ) you go to the secret credits area and that quits the game when it's over.

Basically, I know the things I'm supposed to do, but I don't know how and where. I'm wandering around the island like a headless chicken. Stuck.

There's a few things you can do to help you here. Like for example,
your solution for the big puzzle can only contain an odd number of squares, so you can partially rule out certain shapes/combinations of shapes using basic maths.

Also, make sure the small solution you make for the L/J puzzle is oriented right.

boeso

Only one can be rotated in the 4 smaller puzzles, but the orientation you pick affects how you have to solve the larger one.

your solution for the big puzzle can only contain an odd number of squares, so you can partially rule out certain shapes/combinations of shapes using basic maths.

Also, make sure the small solution you make for the L/J puzzle is oriented right.

Thanks for the tips guys, think Im on the right track now...I didn't think to change my selections from the small puzzles *facepalm*

Ambitious

Uh, post-game.

After the elevator flight, my only choice was to start a new game. What now? From some posts in this thread I gathered that I'm supposed to load my previous save and find something on the top of the mountain in order to access post-game content. What am I supposed to look for? Can't find anything.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Can anyone tell me if there are
multiple endings? Does the ending change depending on whether you activated all lasers, completed all puzzles, found all the +'s, etc. And is there a point to finding all of those +'es?

Btw it was a bit surprising when one
of the audio tapes kept going after the 'official' end of the tape. Guy asked if the reader (Ashley) wanted a sandwich, and she also said how she wanted the readings of the tapes to be perfect, because she knew they'd be heard a lot of times... Meta stuff

Kerned

Banned
Uh, post-game.

After the elevator flight, my only choice was to start a new game. What now? From some posts in this thread I gathered that I'm supposed to load my previous save and find something on the top of the mountain in order to access post-game content. What am I supposed to look for? Can't find anything.
Have a thorough look around. Think about one of the ways the game lets you know there is an unsolved puzzle.

edit:
a thorough look around the mountaintop I mean.

mclem

Btw it was a bit surprising when one
of the audio tapes kept going after the 'official' end of the tape. Guy asked if the reader (Ashley) wanted a sandwich, and she also said how she wanted the readings of the tapes to be perfect, because she knew they'd be heard a lot of times... Meta stuff

I haven't heard that one, but
it's referenced in another

Now this was fun! MS paint is great. Late game.

X9hJgBJl.jpg

Wait, I thought the idea here was..

RGB binary values? White means that value is on, black means it is off. For example, the top left where you have a red, is R=1,G=0,B=1, for purple, so this is what I came up with. We have the same patterns so that explains how we were both able to solve it but I am curious where your colors are coming from? I couldn't make any sense out of them.

http://i.imgur.com/hU5SbyQ.png
http://i.imgur.com/O5cSbQn.png

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Oh Shit!!!

It has just finally clicked, that I now know what the obelisks are for! Now I just have to complete them

shit. i completely forgot about those, are they actually serving a purpose?

mclem

Just as a point of order:
There are even-based solutions as well - based around the idea of having two separate segments

mclem

Wait, I thought the idea here was..

RGB binary values? White means that value is on, black means it is off. For example, the top left where you have a red, is R=1,G=0,B=1, for purple, so this is what I came up with. We have the same patterns so that explains how we were both able to solve it but I am curious where your colors are coming from? I couldn't make any sense out of them.

http://i.imgur.com/hU5SbyQ.png
http://i.imgur.com/O5cSbQn.png

What you describe is fundamentally just a different way of representing what he did. The exact colours aren't necessarily important, as long as it's clear which colours are distinct from which

What you describe is fundamentally just a different way of representing what he did. The exact colours aren't necessarily important, as long as it's clear which colours are distinct from which

suppose so. I guess he just picked colors to represent index values or something. Funny way to go about it, but hey whatever works in this game!

hydruxo

3) In the
town
, I see a yellow platform with a puzzle. I complete the puzzle both ways to make it work, but the platform doesn't move. Do I have to activate something else to make it move?

4) In that same area is a puzzle with 3 solutions needed to light up the next puzzle. I got two--the remaining one has to do with
branch shadows
but the exit is concealed by the tree. Hints?

3) Are you talking about the
one on the roof above the moss covered blue block maze? If so, there are multiple ways to solve that puzzle but only one is the correct answer that will move the platform.

Larger hint:
Think about the puzzle in terms of how the platform would look when it connects to the other building.

4) Look at
what is creating the shadows on the left side.

Acccent

Well. puzzle count:
521 + 135 + 6

I assume I missed a couple of triangle panels here and there. Does anything change if you reach 100%? If not, that'll be good enough for me :)

Well. puzzle count:
521 + 135 + 6

I assume I missed a couple of triangle panels here and there. Does anything change if you reach 100%? If not, that'll be good enough for me :)

I wouldn't bother. The known max is 523 + 135 + 6, so you are missing two panels (which might be some elevator activations, or boat panels). Nothing happens after you hit the max.

Acccent

I wouldn't bother. The known max is 523 + 135 + 6, so you are missing two panels (which might be some elevator activations, or boat panels). Nothing happens after you hit the max.

Alright, thanks.

I'm pretty sure there are more secrets in there though, stuff that bleeds into real life somehow – I can't believe the
secret post-ending first-person
videos have no hidden meaning, and I don't think anyone's found a way to exploit
these waveforms in the desert temple?
CZ_eA1yUAAAf2q6.jpg

But yeah, I don't have the talent or time to look more into this, so I'll wait while internet detectives figure it all out :p

Top Bottom