• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Please don't embed endgame puzzle spoilers and solutions. I turned that image into a link. I had no idea that kind of puzzle was coming up. :\

Sorry, should've just posted the url. But it's not really spoiling anything in the main game tbh, it's postgame content. I was dazed in my moment of glory

roytheone

I know I know, I wanted to reassure him. It's not worth it getting worked up over a puzzle type :p

True that, if he is going for full completion, he will have plenty of other things to get worked up over ;) Talking about that, maybe it is time for attempt nr. 437 :(

Henkka

Banned
No, but if you go out and check the flowers on the wall on the side of the openings, you might see some stuff.

Yeah,
I did see that. But in order to get that, all you need to do is turn the light red. I don't know, I guess I was expecting to get one of those windmill videos or something.
The game is kinda weird in how it sometimes rewards you for harder puzzles and sometimes doesn't. I guess maybe from Blow's perspective, solving the puzzles is it's own reward. Which is true, solving that shit with Photoshop and a pen and paper was cool. But I'm so accustomed to games giving me something, even if it's just a trophy or an audio log, that I often find myself thinking "That's it?"

Still, love the game. I thought I was done after 8 lasers and seeing the ending, but it pulled me back in. Now I've got all the lasers and approaching 500 puzzles solved. After reaching the endgame, I'm much more chill or "zen" about the whole thing. It's a very comfy game to play while listening to podcasts and such.

Drewsky

I'm stuck on one of the hedge mazes and was hoping for a hint.

I just completed the maze with the gravel covering the ground by listening to the sounds of my steps, which I assume was right unless I just got lucky. Now I'm on the sand maze and the steps don't seem to be the key, and it seems like the puzzle at the end doesn't even match the maze I'm walking through this time.

Noaloha

I just completed the maze with the gravel covering the ground by listening to the sounds of my steps, which I assume was right unless I just got lucky. Now I'm on the sand maze and the steps don't seem to be the key, and it seems like the puzzle at the end doesn't even match the maze I'm walking through this time.

Hint:
you've noticed what you need to notice. Now it's just a matter of your application.

Nintaiyo

Hint in response to the bolded above:
Or does it?

Gurrry

Ok so im
in the mountain doing what i believe are the final puzzles of the main game. Im stuck on the 2nd floor, second set of panels where you have to make the solution match up so it works for all of the puzzles in that row. What a shit show this is. Im stuck on the final one. And even though there is obviously a solution, my brain is telling me this is impossible. Im tempted to just look up the answer. But so far, other than tetris puzzles, this is my most hated thing by far.

Fat4all

Banned
I'm thinking about getting it on PS4. Does the console maintain 60fps consistently or can I expect some dips?

I haven't noticed any major issues with the frame-rate, biggest issue on console is pop-in.

Still, performs very well, spent about 50 hours with it total.

Ok so im
in the mountain doing what i believe are the final puzzles of the main game. Im stuck on the 2nd floor, second set of panels where you have to make the solution match up so it works for all of the puzzles in that row. What a shit show this is. Im stuck on the final one. And even though there is obviously a solution, my brain is telling me this is impossible. Im tempted to just look up the answer. But so far, other than tetris puzzles, this is my most hated thing by far.

Be careful not to overthink how to align the final solution with the sun shapes.

Noaloha

Ok so im
You've solved worse. Don't throw in the towel, but by all means give your brain a rest.

edit: I should add, I (after beating it) found the bark of that puzzle sequence much worse than its bite, so to speak.

Fat4all

Banned
Thats probably all i need. Just sleep on it and come back to it. Thats how i got to the second floor in the first place.

Keep it in the back of your mind. Take a shower. Relax for a bit.

If it doesn't come to you, the fresh eyes will help immensely.

Crispy75

Finished with 11 lasers.

Ending what the what?

Cracks open spoiler thread

What the what?

Ok I'm doing something else with my free time and coming back in a year when someone's made a "Everything you need to know about The Witness youtube video cos I am NOT jumping down that rabbit hole :D

What a game.

BraXzy

End-game spoilers

I'm under the mountain now and damn, as cool as some of this is, the puzzles are starting to get more frustrating than enjoyably challenging. Maybe I need to take 5 :3

I'm currently in the room after the elevator, with the symmetry puzzle on the floor.

I was planning on beating this game tonight. But the series of panels I just solved was literally physically exhausting. They were still fun, but man. The ones I'm doing now are not as bad in that regard, but the previous ones just turned my mind into jelly and there's no way I can deal with anything else right now. I'll just go to bed I think.

Noaloha

End-game spoilers

I'm under the mountain now and damn, as cool as some of this is, the puzzles are starting to get more frustrating than enjoyably challenging. Maybe I need to take 5 :3

I'm currently in the room after the elevator, with the symmetry puzzle on the floor.
I actually really enjoyed that puzzle. One of the best solving tools you have in this game is 'elimination' which helps immensely on this one.

Crispy75

I loved this puzzle. Maybe my favorite in the game :)

(spoilers for this puzzle)
I ended up cutting out loads of teris shapes in different colours in order to put together a solution for this one. And what's in the next room? A statue of a man solving a Witness puzzle, surrounded by little cut-out tetris shapes. Great punchline :D

BraXzy

Okay so I'm stuck and can't figure out how to get out D:

End game and + puzzle spoilers

So when I was in the previous area after the elevator, I looked up and noticed that ooh, I can trace those paths.. But wait the Yellow line is blocked. So up I went to tinker with the two paths till the yellow line was the one leading into the exit and therefore had an end for the + puzzle. I deleted the blue line and crossed to the yellow side and then remade the yellow line and I can't figure out a way to get through at all! Life :S

http://i.imgur.com/rtgezWs.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Lq38O01.jpg

So when I was in the previous area after the elevator, I looked up and noticed that ooh, I can trace those paths.. But wait the Yellow line is blocked. So up I went to tinker with the two paths till the yellow line was the one leading into the exit and therefore had an end for the + puzzle. I deleted the blue line and crossed to the yellow side and then remade the yellow line and I can't figure out a way to get through at all! Life :S

Bottom stars with the black, left stars with the white.

BraXzy

Bottom stars with the black, left stars with the white.

I realised that the blue line had a bump up unnecesarily that was messing me up. Managed to get the yellow line to go to the exit too, so thanks that helped my brain in some way :D

Now I'm just bashing my head against the wall at the puzzle below D:

mclem

I loved this puzzle. Maybe my favorite in the game :)

(spoilers for this puzzle)
I ended up cutting out loads of teris shapes in different colours in order to put together a solution for this one. And what's in the next room? A statue of a man solving a Witness puzzle, surrounded by little cut-out tetris shapes. Great punchline :D

Strictly speaking, I think
he is designing a Witness puzzle, and the box next to him is his toolkit of symbols. There's not just Tetris shapes in there, IIRC.

Noaloha

Aside, but mclem, will you ever do another puzzle thread you think? If prizes are an issue, I'm tempted to boldly claim that I'll make a code-donation thread ahead of it. I have zero doubt that a link to your previous thread will solidify support.

mclem

Aside, but mclem, will you ever do another puzzle thread you think? If prizes are an issue, I'm tempted to boldly claim that I'll make a code-donation thread ahead of it. I have zero doubt that a link to your previous thread will solidify support.

I have something up my sleeve, if I ever see it through. Not quite the same thing, but on similar lines - a little more quizzy, but still with a lateral-thinking component to it. Trouble is, it's a mammoth undertaking (as in, there's one version of the plan that lasts a year!). Simpler ones exist too, but the devil in me is wanting to do something big and long-term with it.

...hence why I'm procrastinating on it. Something may happen. Don't hold your breath.

Noaloha

Cooly cool. I'm happy if it's merely a potential, with no stakes placed. That last one was a real event. I think everyone who took part knew they'd been privy to something special.

INTERNET

SERIOUS BUSINESS
Intentionally vague yes or no question regarding "+" stuff, but probably endgameish:
Is there a specific puzzle that must be collected last?
For your convenience:
[ ] Yes
[ ] No
[ ] I like you but I don't like like you

Shaanyboi

Banned
I have no damn clue how the glass paneled floors by the Keep are supposed to work. I know how to reset it, but I am totally lost about what the logic behind the puzzle is. I thought it maybe had to do with following the statues or something, or maybe the ground underneath, but I've got nothing.

I have no damn clue how the glass paneled floors by the Keep are supposed to work. I know how to reset it, but I am totally lost about what the logic behind the puzzle is. I thought it maybe had to do with following the statues or something, or maybe the ground underneath, but I've got nothing.

Solve the panel according to normal rules, except that you have to use the floors instead of your cursor.

damidu

if it makes zero sense, its good idea to leave an area and go elsewhere.
rules of puzzles are usually laid out step by step somewhere on the island.

BraXzy

Someone asked me if I had seen any credits.
Should I have?

My game just closed after the end sequence with the fly around. I don't get it :(

Someone asked me if I had seen any credits.
Should I have?

My game just closed after the end sequence with the fly around. I don't get it :(

Reload your last save and continue. You haven't seen everything.

How many lasers do you have?

BraXzy

Reload your last save and continue. You haven't seen everything.

How many lasers do you have?

If I have to reload my save prior to the end sequence, what was the point of it closing everything up and giving a fresh one? I'm so confused D:

I had all 11 lasers I believe.

If I have to reload my save prior to the end sequence, what was the point of it closing everything up and giving a fresh one? I'm so confused D:

I had all 11 lasers I believe.

Might I also suggest doing what the game sort of half points you towards doing, which is start a new game. You might see some new things with your now much more knowledgeable eyes.

I did the same thing and thought i was stuck as well
but i guarantee you there's a way out through the door on the side when you are on the orange side and have deleted the blue path. Its there

Edit: nevermind seems like you finished the game :)

BraXzy

End spoilers
So I've finished the game and completed the credit sequence. That FMV got me like o_O

I kept seeing people mention a challenge. I guess this is another thing I'm oblivious to?

GhaleonEB

I finally beat that motherfucker from the town that I was stuck at, on the last page (dual tetris / dot puzzle). Epiphany was had after steady process of elimination.

I did about ~8 more in town and then crashed into one
that was a giant plus sign with like, a hajillion exits to it. Couldn't spot where to identify the path - thinking the apple tree next to it is related, but I couldn't see how - so I'm back to wandering for other less brutal prey.

Baby steps! Puzzle count
356 +19
I've done so much but know I have heaps to go. 0_o

Dad

Fuck the (postgame)
Challenge
. Fuck it.
I've been doing this shit for like 2 hours and I finally got a really good set all the way to the very last puzzle. And lo and behold it's one of those fucking garbage black and white pillar puzzles. The worst kind of puzzle in the game. You win this time, platinum trophy

Durante

We're now at (count)
440+102+2
, not reading up on anything so far.

I'm still continuously amazed at just how intricate, inventive and satisfyingly difficult some of the puzzles get.

I have reached
522 +54. Slowly but surely closing in on those last triangle panels and +1s.

This advice of finding things by not searching has continued to work out:
found the quarry triangle panel as soon as I got distracted by a +1 from the roof, and I'm still finding more +1s around every corner. Still, I'm dreading when this inevitably gets reduced to searching, because I haven't seen a single new audio log and still haven't completed a single obelisk.

Top Bottom