• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Dineren

Banned
I'm really jealous of everyone able to play this now. I've still got 8 hours of work to make it through before I can hop in. I'm still pretty concerned that the difficulty of later puzzles will become too much for me, but I'll muddle through one way or another.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I should add, for those curious, that while going on and doing other puzzles if you don't understand the basis for any given puzzle is often a good idea, sometimes experimenting with it a bit and seeing if it gives you any feedback when you get it wrong is worthwhile.

I should add, for those curious, that while going on and doing other puzzles if you don't understand the basis for any given puzzle is often a good idea, sometimes experimenting with it a bit and seeing if it gives you any feedback when you get it wrong is worthwhile.

What feedback? You mean after a number of given tries the game tries to explain it to you?

Man, this game is brutally difficult. I'm absolutely loving it. It's such an immersive and rewarding experience. And not having any music was actually a really good idea.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I'm curious if any of the puzzles require fast input/reaction times... don't have a PC or PS4 to play this on, but thinking of spinning up some time on a Amazon server and streaming it off that.

Have no idea what to do in the desert

Have done the environmental puzzle at the front if the building. The one on the ground outside rhetoric front. And one off to the right.

Nezumi

I'm actually here myself, just finished the second one after about 20 mins but have no idea at all with the third one, don't even know where to begin, i'm sure i'm missing something.

I just did this, you have to really pay attention with that one. I felt so smug when I got it!
Sadly there is no way to hint at the solution without spoiling it.

Mik2121

So you guys loving it or are you guys LOVING it?
Loving it. Without getting into any spoilers, I can say that the puzzles at first are very simple and for a bit it feels like you just stare at a square with some basic puzzles, but as soon as you start noticing you need to look around for clues, it makes you feel awesome when you clear them.

After 78 puzzles, I've done quite a bunch already involving something other than the puzzle panel.

They are fine. Shame there is no option to change the sensitivity though.

Ah, sensitivity too low?

BTW, do we know what FOV it plays at? I booted up Talos yesterday and really appreciated being able to change the FOV. By default 75 is too low for me (if I can help it).

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
What feedback? You mean after a number of given tries the game tries to explain it to you?
I don't consider this a spoiler, but I appreciate that some people don't want to know anything:
I don't want to be too specific, but it isn't anything like that. It seems like most puzzles give no feedback, but some do respond to errors by making symbols flash.

Bigger spoiler, but still very much in the "this won't really help you solve anything meaningful"l territory, but it is cute and might be best discovered alone:
There are other puzzles that actually change the state of the board on error.

How would one go about avoiding this happening to them? Did you just wander off into the wrong direction?

Would hate for this to happen to me. Looking to avoid it.

I wouldn't worry about it. Seems most people missed it, and it might not even be that big a deal. Just play the game!

How would one go about avoiding this happening to them? Did you just wander off into the wrong direction?

Would hate for this to happen to me. Looking to avoid it.

What they described was something you'll discover naturally through exploring and playing the game. It's not a bad thing.

Have to say the reviews and feedback seem to push me towards buying the game, except the length of time needed to put into it. I just can't play games that are the amount of hours touted to finish this game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
re needing quick responses to solve puzzles: none so far. The line does have a bit of momentum, so in-house streaming lag might be a tad annoying, but nothing game breaking.

I don't consider this a spoiler, but I appreciate that some people don't want to know anything:
I don't want to be too specific, but it isn't anything like that. It seems like most puzzles give no feedback, but some do respond to errors by making symbols flash.

Bigger spoiler, but still very much in the "this won't really help you solve anything meaningful"l territory, but it is cute and might be best discovered alone:
There are other puzzles that actually change the state of the board on error.

Ah, I see. I did know about the former but definitely not the latter.

czarship

I apologize if this has been discussed already, but I'm torn over which platform to get this for.

How exactly are the finger puzzles controlled with the dual shock 4 compared to a keyboard and mouse? Is one inherently easier or more fluid than the other?

While I would prefer the PS4's for trophy support, I am curious about the graphical enhancements afforded by the PC version (I have a GTX 770).

Given that most of the interaction in this game are with the finger puzzles, I think my choice should come down to control comfortability.

After about 70 puzzles (still very very early in the game) only real issue I have is (spoilered just to be safe)
the puzzle panels in a sequence that turn off and require you to draw the line of the previous panel again, just feels unnecessary.
Maybe the game will play with it in some crazy solution later in the game though.

DLaicH

I'm curious if any of the puzzles require fast input/reaction times... don't have a PC or PS4 to play this on, but thinking of spinning up some time on a Amazon server and streaming it off that.

Woah, I never even knew you could use an Amazon server for gaming. Not that it matters for this, since I have a PS4, but I'll have to remember that for the future.

GhaleonEB

So I'm at the first semi-complex puzzle, immediately after leaving the opening tutorial area. I solved the two series of practice panels, with the
dots, and the white and black squares,
, which taught me how to solve one that I passed by that has both. I'm inputting a solution that seems to meet both criteria:
pass through all dots, separate the white from black. I start from the far right starting point, and finish in the lower right.
But the solution is not accepted, and I can't figure out why. I *think* I've learned what I need to to for this one, but after staring at it for 10 minutes can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I love the game already, but I know it's going to destroy me.
Really curious about IQ and pop in on PS4. Any impressions?

Zero issues with either. Rock solid 60 fps.

Impulsor

I apologize if this has been discussed already, but I'm torn over which platform to get this for.

How exactly are the finger puzzles controlled with the dual shock 4 compared to a keyboard and mouse? Is one inherently easier or more fluid than the other?

While I would prefer the PS4's for trophy support, I am curious about the graphical enhancements afforded by the PC version (I have a GTX 770).

Given that most of the interaction in this game are with the finger puzzles, I think my choice should come down to control comfortability.

I need to know about 21:9 support before buying. :(

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Really curious about IQ and pop in on PS4. Any impressions?

very slight pop-in in a specific case, but in standard play I haven't noticed any yet (though I might not be as sensitive as some)

the game is gorgeous

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Gonna bail on this thread for now. Even with how well everyone is spoiler-tagging their posts I constantly feel like I'm in danger of reading something I really don't want to. Just over half an hour of work left, then it's time to head home and jump in.

Have fun!

Burbeting

Banned
Umm uhh... I have completed 70 panels, and stubled upon something, that I don't really get at all... My reaction was just "huuh?".

The game has been intriguing so far.

//Ohhh, I get it... The game just got lot lot more interesting.

Trojan

I totally should not be hanging out in this OT but I'm at work and can't help myself when I have a few free minutes. Just looking to hear impressions of how people are liking it so far...and carefully avoiding spoilers!

So I'm at the first semi-complex puzzle, immediately after leaving the opening tutorial area. I solved the two series of practice panels, with the
dots, and the white and black squares,
, which taught me how to solve one that I passed by that has both. I'm inputting a solution that seems to meet both criteria:
pass through all dots, separate the white from black. I start from the far right starting point, and finish in the lower right.
But the solution is not accepted, and I can't figure out why. I *think* I've learned what I need to to for this one, but after staring at it for 10 minutes can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

If it's the door puzzle that you pass on the way to the tutorial panels then I had the same issue that you did. You're probably thinking that the white and black can't touch. They can't but that is not there only rule. Take another look at the tutorial panels and see if you notice something you are currently not doing with the white and the black squares.
Sorry if this if vague, best part of game so far is the Eureka moments you get when you realize the solution.

Grexeno

So, I just got a puzzle right and I don't quite get why.

In the little side area where you find the recorder with the 1924 quote by Albert Einstein, there's a white panel that has a little orange arrow pointing left. All but one of the ways to get to the end of the panel give a red color and an incorrect noise, but one gives an orange color and a correct noise.

I'm really jealous of everyone able to play this now. I've still got 8 hours of work to make it through before I can hop in. I'm still pretty concerned that the difficulty of later puzzles will become too much for me, but I'll muddle through one way or another.
Same. I'm getting ready for work now....this is gonna suck

Top Bottom