• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

So I'm at the first semi-complex puzzle, immediately after leaving the opening tutorial area. I solved the two series of practice panels, with the
dots, and the white and black squares,
, which taught me how to solve one that I passed by that has both. I'm inputting a solution that seems to meet both criteria:
pass through all dots, separate the white from black. I start from the far right starting point, and finish in the lower right.
But the solution is not accepted, and I can't figure out why. I *think* I've learned what I need to to for this one, but after staring at it for 10 minutes can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I love the game already, but I know it's going to destroy me.
This is the one I was stuck on before heading off to work. And I also THOUGHT I was doing it right.

OznaD0Fm.jpg

The hardest line puzzle.

Played for 4 hours now with 170 puzzles solved. I'm now arguing with myself whether Blow has made the perfect game or not, I'm leaning towards the former for the moment.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If it's the door puzzle that you pass on the way to the tutorial panels then I had the same issue that you did. You're probably thinking that the white and black can't touch. They can't but that is not there only rule. Take another look at the tutorial panels and see if you notice something you are currently not doing with the white and the black squares.
Sorry if this if vague, best part of game so far is the Eureka moments you get when you realize the solution.

Stuck at the same place,and I don't want to start looking at the
coloured blocks
until I've nailed down this one. From what I can tell,
you need to go through all black dots, and separate black from white
. I think there are some other rules about
how many adjacent sides you cover
but I can't pin it down. Sometimes it seems like it is
white box left/top, back box bottom/right sides
, but other times it doesn't seem to match.

hughesta

Banned
Who else has found the two
audio logs
in the first tiny open area after the very fest two panels? Some very interesting stuff there.

Okay, can someone explain those black/white puzzles for me? Each square either has black or white 'emblems' inside. What do I need to do? I managed to complete one out of sheer luck but still.

Ok I'm officially here for help now. No spoilers but just in case anyone wants to avoid knowing the types of puzzles:
so basically any puzzle panel with boxes in the squares. I've tried recreating the shapes, using them as directions, nothing works.

StaSeb

Stuck at the same place,and I don't want to start looking at the
coloured blocks
until I've nailed down this one. From what I can tell,
you need to go through all black dots, and separate black from white
. I think there are some other rules about
how many adjacent sides you cover
but I can't pin it down. Sometimes it seems like it is
white box left/top, back box bottom/right sides
, but other times it doesn't seem to match.

You are on the right path.
There is no additional rule.

Did you
think about what is the correct starting point? Only one makes sense, given the rules.

Love the layers of complexity the game adds to what, at first, is just simple puzzle mechanics. Already been surprised a few times at finding audiovisual clues that initially didn't seem at all obvious, the game really makes you think outside of the box. Also, the density of the island and attention to detail is very impressive, there's a ton to explore in a relatively compact world, which makes it all the more easier to walk away from a puzzle you're stuck on. One of my favourite feelings in puzzle games is when you're racking you're brain for the answer, only to come back later on and solve it on the first try - The Witness has that sense in abundance, it seems.

GhaleonEB

If it's the door puzzle that you pass on the way to the tutorial panels then I had the same issue that you did. You're probably thinking that the white and black can't touch. They can't but that is not there only rule. Take another look at the tutorial panels and see if you notice something you are currently not doing with the white and the black squares.
Sorry if this if vague, best part of game so far is the Eureka moments you get when you realize the solution.

Thanks for the general hint. I still can't divine another clue from the tutorial panel.
On all but one panel, all black and white squares are separated into two groups. But on the second to last one, the white are broken into two groups. So that's not it. On the last panel, the black are broken into two groups.
So that's also not it.

While I was typing this, I solved it. But I have no idea why, I was just trying different routes. :lol

I *think*
it's because I wrapped all the white dots so they are separate from not just the black ones near them, but all of the other black dots.
Was that what I was supposed to take away from it?

As we get closer and closer to the steam release, I'm crossing my fingers that we can tweak the FOV in an ini file or something. Starting to be a bit concerned about it from the few motion sickness complaints I've seen in here.

Just bought this entirely based upon the hype and the fact that I loved Portal and Braid, and loved/hated Fez. Should be downloaded when I get home from work.

I'm going in.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I think the lack of music is a missed opportunity. Graphically, it looks wonderful. But having some ambient type music (like when you're just wandering around in Skyrim, for instance) in the background while you're puzzling would add to the atmosphere.

Part of Braid's charm was the wonderful soundtrack.

Blow said he didn't put music in the game because it wouldn't have served a gameplay purpose and would have distracted or interfered with the things he did purposely design.

He wouldn't put music into a game just because games tend to have music.

Birathen

Anyone playing it with the steam controller? Im gonna jump into the pc version if its ok with steam controller, ps4 if the steam controller works poorly with it.

ekim

2 more hours... *impatiently looking at clock*

Anyone playing it with the steam controller? Im gonna jump into the pc version if its ok with steam controller, ps4 if the steam controller works poorly with it.

PC version is not out yet. I'm going to play it with the Steam Controller though.

Best advice if stuck on a puzzle is to just explore and solve different puzzles in the open world, but a more specific hint to door puzzle people are having issues with (DON'T Look if you don't want it spoiled)
Basically when you make a specific blocked off section with lines you can't have both black and white squares within it even if they are not adjacent to each other. You can however make multiple blocked off sections composing of white and black squares of differing amounts though.

GhaleonEB

SlySoul, I deleted that post, but that was a significant unmarked spoiler. Please label and tag posts about things that are discovered later in the game. I really wish I had not read that.

So, how do you save? I need to go to work now. :lol

can anyone help me with the puzzle in the flower growing area (?) it's the second to last one before the door opens. i'm going insane.

you have to separate 4 kinds of colors from each other

Blow said he didn't put music in the game because it wouldn't have served a gameplay purpose and would have distracted or interfered with the things he did purposely design.

He wouldn't put music into a game just because games tend to have music.

I don't believe that for a second. Does he think people will honestly believe that there is no kind of music that would fit the game?

Translation: I couldn't figure out how to put proper music into the game, or didn't want to pay for it, so I'm claiming it's a conscious choice.

SlySoul, I deleted that post, but that was a significant unmarked spoiler. Please label and tag posts about things that are discovered later in the game. I really wish I had not read that.

So, how do you save? I need to go to work now. :lol

Aaand you've just convinced me to leave the thread. I feel for the mods who are playing this game and are going to have to deal with unmarked spoilers (no matter how minor or unintentional).

ekim

I don't believe that for a second. Does he think people will honestly believe that there is no kind of music that would fit the game?

Translation: I couldn't figure out how to put proper music into the game, or didn't want to pay for it, so I'm claiming it's a conscious choice.

I doubt he doesn't know about that. Braid had a superb OST.

Holy shit, the
environmentally-based
line puzzles are astonishing. Some of the ones based on movement like
one that appears and continues as you're going round the island on a boat
are insane. What a game, subverts your expectations and finds so many ways to play with a simple concept. A lot like Braid - definitely has the same DNA in that respect.

Burbeting

Banned
Not Puzzle spoilers, but still very possibly big SPOILERS!!

So I opened up a video with the science histroian talking in it.. I have a good idea how to open up more videos, but I do not still understand how it will tie to the complete pictures

Top Bottom