• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

OK, so after about 2 hours of blissful stumbling about and solving puzzles I've come across the first one that I solved but don't know how. It was in an what I was think is still one of the earlier areas, (as in 'I don't think I ran too fast ahead),
There is a second castlelike building with a few garden mazes. You solve the first one by drawing the path you had to take but the second one doesn't give you a defined route. I looked everywhere for some clue which might tell me which path to take (shadows on the ground and color of the bushes) and didn't find anything. I ended up drawing a random line and the door opened...

The path for the second one
involves not crossing any of the weeds on the floor

hughesta

Banned
Just found an early puzzle (Symmetry section)
hidden on the roof of that lakeside shack. Can't figure out what it effects for now. Also, does anyone know if anything happens as a result of solving the palm tree puzzle on the same island?

Krakn3Dfx

Just a heads up, you can buy a 20% off coupon from GDD for $3.75, which knocks $8 off the price, making your final cost $4.25 cheaper. Not a huge savings, but just in case anyone is looking to save a couple of bucks off the top and were buying it anyway on the PS4.

Edit: Also, while I've had great luck with GDD, I've heard some have gotten bad codes, so YMMV.

Edit #2: Also worth noting the code I god wouldn't work through the PSN website, only directly through the PSN Store on my PS4.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
yeah, it seems to save on every puzzle completion.

I like that it doesn't bother with the typical "don't turn off your console when this symbol appears" stuff.

Greenhouse/bunker spoilers
You're on the right track re the black/white stuff. The extra colors are just an extension of the concept, except rather than making two groups... Also, not relevant to you right at this second, but always remember: pay attention to the environment. :)

If you mean the
transparent panels near the jetty kind of area
then I loved those

kadotsu

Banned
OMG!

Spoiler (Fuck if I know if it's end game or not)

I just found out the use for the octagonal black prisms by
"activating" the environment

Quonny

I've tweeted at some people and read some reviews, but no one has answered the question, so I thought I'd ask here:

This seems like a game my wife could play. She is awful at dual stick controls, but this seems to be slower paced and not require any of those skills.

Is there a point in the game where you need those skills? Like, some puzzle or segment? Would be a deal killer.

Krakn3Dfx

I've tweeted at some people and read some reviews, but no one has answered the question, so I thought I'd ask here:

This seems like a game my wife could play. She is awful at dual stick controls, but this seems to be slower paced and not require any of those skills.

Is there a point in the game where you need those skills? Like, some puzzle or segment? Would be a deal killer.

It's funny, my wife's experience with games is pretty much Peggle and Words With Friends. I showed her the Giantbomb QL for The Witness last night, and her eyes lit up. She loves stuff like this, I think Blow's a genius with this because even people who wouldn't normally classify themselves as "gamers" love figuring out a puzzle/riddles.

Watching the Giantbomb video, the movement in the game couldn't be more basic or noob proof, so I think she'll probably be fine.

This is the successor to Myst I didn't realize I was waiting for. It even has the freaky-even-though-nothing's-really-going-on atmosphere that has me jumping at shadows.

EvSOLO

I won't have the game until launch time (noon EST), but I'd be happy to load it up on my Surface Pro 2 and give it a try to see if there's touch support. I'm guessing the support is likely not in the game yet, as the iOS port is "months" away, at the very least, according to Blow.

Thanks! I will be eagerly awaiting your update. Very much appreciated.

skynidas

Banned
This is the successor to Myst I didn't realize I was waiting for. It even has the freaky-even-though-nothing's-really-going-on atmosphere that has me jumping at shadows.

i'm literally stuck on a puzzle and i can't get out of this area. can you help me if i pm you a picutre of it?

Yes! I love to hear this. I always get strange looks from people when I tell them I always thought Myst was pretty scary.

Maybe scary isn't the right word. Eerie. Like something just isn't quite right.

JonnyKong

I really need to stop reading all these posts. I haven't started playing it yet and already I feel like I know a good few puzzle types and areas. Yet I enjoy reading all your comments!

Couple questions: Any idea how big the download is on PC, and am I right in thinking it unlocks at 1 p.m. EST? Thinking about going home to start the install at lunch.

Does every single puzzle have a solution in the surrounding environment? I am walking around, completing puzzles here and there but some are just impossible and I can not seem to find clues.

is there controller support on pc? store says partial. what does that mean exactly
Blow said on Twitter than the game has full Dualshock 4 support. Don't know about XInput, but I'd assume so too.
Couple questions: Any idea how big the download is on PC, and am I right in thinking it unlocks at 1 p.m. EST? Thinking about going home to start the install at lunch.
Steam says the game requires 4GB of HDD space. It comes out at noon EST.

Mik2121

Uhm weird, so it's not just me? I suddenly started feeling nauseous, and I've never felt like this ever in any game :S I didn't know if it was the game making me sick or something else.

78 puzzles in, I will jump into this tomorrow, I gotta go to sleep now. Lovely game.

I have no idea how to solve the puzzles in the
cave
under the
windmill

Any help? :/

I don't know if it's late game or not. Reached it after 60 minutes, so...hard to tell in an open world game :p

Only played for half an hour or so and I like it but so far all the puzzles I've done (maybe 15 total panels) are self contained. So I've basically ran around some and said ooh this is pretty until I stumble upon a puzzle panel and solve it. Is it a little farther on that the puzzles are solved by first looking at/using the environment for clues? I'd keep playing right now but have to get some sleep =(

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I have no idea how to solve the puzzles in the
cave
under the
windmill

Any help? :/

I don't know if it's late game or not. Reached it after 60 minutes, so...hard to tell in an open world game :p

Go do something else. If you have no basis for strange symbols on a puzzle, you just haven't found the bits that teach you yet.

demonkaze

Haha I love this game, really. Was doing a series of panels in the
Logging?
area and I was stuck on one for about 15 mins because I couldn't figure it out. Turns out it was the most obvious thing ever but I didn't try it because I assumes it would be too obvious. Amazing game!

noomi

It's a large, beautiful first-person open-world game that will last you anywhere between 20 and 100+ hours depending on how good you are at solving the puzzles and how many of them you want to complete. Why can't that be worth 2/3 of a regular game? Is it just because it's indie? Because it's about puzzles? Of course, if you don't think this will be your thing you're welcome to wait for a lower price, but if it's just because it's not your typical AAA title I don't get it.

Oh no, please don't get me wrong the game looks fantastic and unique, and I would gladly dish out the cash if I had it, but with a baby on the way and a ton of other expenses every dollar saved counts :)

kAmui-

I want to keep reading this thread in lieu of being able to play the game (PC) but I think it's time to bounce! It's been a pleasure sharing the excitement with you all!

I'll leave you with the blank map I drew in my graphing paper pad, waiting to be annotated and gone into further detail on subsequent pages. (Warning, spoiler, picture of island map with areas)

See you on the flip side!

Inspired by you I did the same!

I have my pen and paper ready. Now the only thing I need is the game itself...

Top Bottom