• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Catvoca

Banned
I'd like to know this too, there doesn't seem to be any easy explanation of what to do with that tri-point symbol, but I guess it's something pretty easy once you understand the mechanic like the coloured tetris like shapes.

Anyone had any luck finding unicode symbols for some of these shapes and icons too?

I accidentally solved the puzzle in the picture and I have no idea how it worked.Stuck on the next one now of course.

Edit: Think I've figured it out? Thanks for the hints guys.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Church door in the village - ooh you cheeky bastard. Likewise the panel inside.

Little stuck on hopefully the last puzzle to open the
laser thing
in the village
two 3-dot Tetris pieces but I also have to cover every node because they all have bloody black dots on

iFirez

That symbol
needs one mistake in the puzzle to activate. The mistake may not be separated by the line

Ah right, holy shit - that's a pretty awesome sounding mechanic. I managed to complete a couple of puzzles with it in last night without having a clue how it worked and then got stumped. Thanks.

110 puzzles in, finished the desert area last night. I really enjoyed how the final push was kind of a "breather," a couple fast, satisfying final pieces to complete it. Curious to see if the other areas have something similar.

Robiin

I'd like to know this too, there doesn't seem to be any easy explanation of what to do with that tri-point symbol, but I guess it's something pretty easy once you understand the mechanic like the coloured tetris like shapes.

Anyone had any luck finding unicode symbols for some of these shapes and icons too?
If I recall correctly, this icon
will negate one color block if they are trapped together with more of the opposite color block. Like, if you need to change everything to green but there is one red block, just trap the red one together with the icon and two or more green ones and it will be counted as green.

polychron

Sure.

image.jpg

No fucking clue why the picture is upside down though.

Okay so with that
you've got to imagine where the light on the panel leaves off is where the light on the rusty beam starts. Rather than trying to line them up directly visually, assume that the rusty beam also has a grid on it (so the first move would be down 1 from where the light ends on the panel etc. If you need it I've made a mock up of what should be the solution, but I don't want to just post that outright.

ultron87

I accidentally solved the puzzle in the picture and I have no idea how it worked.Stuck on the next one now of course.

(Quarry area building)
Try solving the first one again in the same way and pay attention to what the symbols do when you complete it.

G-Bus

Banned
68 panels in, working through the
dual lines
area of the rocky section. Couple of nice eureka moments in there.
When the yellow line fades out completely and you solve the next few on pure instinct. I nearly leaped to my feet and cheered when I did the last one.

Nothing too crazy yet, but it's still quite early. Loving it.

So that's it. I never would have kept going. Was stuck for a while yesterday so I just left.

About 110 puzzles down. Working in the tree fort right now.

Reposting again because I'm really stuck. It's out by the water:

Urgh.

Now I'm stuck on a puzzle attached to an orange container with blue paint on it. I've done these type before but its been a while so I can't seem to complete it.

polychron

Okay so in the
Hedgerow mazes
I get that each one has
gates, in one form or another, but in the gravel area I cannot see for the life of me what the 'you can't walk through here' indicator is.
Any hints?

Robiin

Okay so in the
Hedgerow mazes
I get that each one has
gates, in one form or another, but in the gravel area I cannot see for the life of me what the 'you can't walk through here' indicator is.
Any hints?
The four mazes have different things to look for. The first one was "
which route is correct
", the second one has a completely different solution.
Hint:
look on the ground and you will see where to go.
Edit: Oh wait, is the gravel one the third? If so (can't really give a vague hint so this will pretty much give you the solution):
turn your sound up.

Okay so with that
you've got to imagine where the light on the panel leaves off is where the light on the rusty beam starts. Rather than trying to line them up directly visually, assume that the rusty beam also has a grid on it (so the first move would be down 1 from where the light ends on the panel etc. If you need it I've made a mock up of what should be the solution, but I don't want to just post that outright.

I did exactly that. Go straight 1 down after the light stops in the middle of the panel. I go 1 down, 2 left, 2 up, 1 right and then finally up again. I tried all sorts of variations. Even went 1 left and 3 up. I know the solution is staring at me but the pattern is not helping.

I thought the
disappearing
yellow line was probably the easiest "rule". I mean you're in a section about
symmetry and you watch them disappear
like. I actually found it easier when it was gone cause I didn't get confused by which one I was controlling

Is there any way to speed up
the boat?

there's a puzzle on the right hand side, that looks like 5 different levels. the higher you go with it the faster the boat goes.

Robiin

I thought the
disappearing
yellow line was probably the easiest "rule". I mean you're in a section called
symmetry and you watch them disappear
like. I actually found it easier when it was gone cause I didn't get confused by which one I was controlling
How do you know what a section is called?

polychron

I did exactly that. Go straight 1 down after the light stops in the middle of the panel. I go 1 down, 2 left, 2 up, 1 right and then finally up again. I tried all sorts of variations. Even went 1 left and 3 up. I know the solution is staring at me but the pattern is not helping.

PM me a screenshot of what you think should be the solution? (Like, just before you 'submit' it, as it were) I should be able to tell you where you're going wrong.

Shibalan

Is it possible to have one thread for questions/help, and one to discuss our appreciation of the game ?

For someone who just want opinions about the game or to share his thoughts about something, this thread is really hard to follow.

Talka

~220 panels in with
five lasers activated (and only +7)

I desperately want to keep playing but need to get some work done.

The
tint shading color
puzzles were
a pain in the ass... but so satisfying to have solved.

I've finished 74 panels, so far mostly without needing to spend too much time on one. I seem to be stuck now though. Not on a puzzle, just unsure where to go next. ;__;

Ansatz

Those are the monolith puzzles. You can find the shapes you need to locate on the black pillars spread throughout the world. The are very fun to find.

I see! It says +1 on the load screen now. I'm ~2 hours in and this game has already blown my mind.

polychron

The four mazes have different things to look for. The first one was "
which route is correct
", the second one has a completely different solution.
Hint:
look on the ground and you will see where to go.

Yeah, I got that the ground is the place to be looking, like with the grass, but it all just looks like gravel in the third one. I'm thinking the shadows maybe, but I'm worried I'm getting too hung up on them and can't see the wood for the trees, as it were.

Robiin

i've learned about tetris in the
swamp
but this one stomps me:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CZveHglWEAI0U0K.jpg:large

is there something else i need to know?
You aren't catching/going through the
black dots.
Yeah, I got that the ground is the place to be looking, like with the grass, but it all just looks like gravel in the third one. I'm thinking the shadows maybe, but I'm worried I'm getting too hung up on them and can't see the wood for the trees, as it were.
Sorry, I edited my post, you are talking about the third one and I was thinking it was the second one. Again,
turn the sound up.

cyba89

What the heck? These
endgame (after you open the mountain)
puzzles are just mean. I need to take a break.
Managed to complete the first floor and now I am at the floor with the constantly blinking panels. You need good screenshot-timing with these.

Kemal86

Any tips for solving the diamond shaped puzzle by the entrance to the tree temple? It looks like the puzzles in that area but it has a black square on one side and a white square on the other.

Try a different perspective. Remember how you solved these in the Red Bonsai area? Explore a bit.

Dominator

So I somehow complete the dessert area (IT WAS SO HARD), and now it appears I can
summon a boat? I road the boat to a part of the island I haven't been too before and now I'm walking through tree houses completing puzzles that create pathways that I can walk across to the next area.

This game is so neat.

PolishQ

68 panels in, working through the
dual lines
area of the rocky section. Couple of nice eureka moments in there.
When the yellow line fades out completely and you solve the next few on pure instinct. I nearly leaped to my feet and cheered when I did the last one.

Nothing too crazy yet, but it's still quite early. Loving it.

Sounds like we're taking a similar path through the game.

I'm almost done with the
treehouse
area. Only 2 things left are
the green tiles with the tetris pieces, and the final purple piece that you can just jump over

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Here's a big thing for the swamp stuff for anyone who's really struggling with those

If you haven't noticed yet, the requirement is just that the enclosed shape contains the corrosponding tetris piece. That piece does not have to overlap with the tile that contains the piece mark. I cannot state this enough because the vast majority of the time when I was stumped on a puzzle its because I was forgetting this. If you have an L block required that just means the shape overall has to have that L, none of the tiles that form the L have to actually be on the tile with the "L" marking

Kaiken

Banned
Started this last night. Usually get to bed before Midnight, looked up at the clock and it was 2am. This game man. I can't stop picturing lines in my mind.

Mountain Spoilers (just reaching the top, not entering):
I love how
the game teaches about the hidden puzzles in case you didn't find any. It's so nifty!

Top Bottom