• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

For example you'll be in the middle of a panel sequence and you've solved 3 or 4, all of a sudden the rules you've been learning stop working even though there's no indication that the rules have changed. A good example of this is down by the water in the area
where you learn about simultaneous lines
and have to
draw outlines of rocks in the water. You come to one with just one rock and nothing works.

I was stuck there for a while, until I noticed
some rocks out at sea to the right hand side...
You're still doing what you've been taught, the game is just taking you out of your comfort zone.

--

Does anyone have any idea why this is wrong? I'm sure I've met all the rules the game has taught me thus far yet it's not accepting my solution. The stars in the top left and bottom right are flashing as wrong but I can't work out how.

Not really a spoiler, just a random grid with no context and an incorrect solution applied.

louiedog

Question about treetops, only look if you've finished that area.

So for the room with the yellow box which I assume has the laser at the top. I'm having trouble with the very last puzzle on the bridge there, but I can just walk over anyway. I can see a door switch through cracks/holes in the walls, but I can't seem to get an angle to open it from outside. Should I be trying to complete the last path puzzle or skip that and try to open the door?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
My first pic asking for help - seems so simple but I just can't get my head around it. Any help would be appreciated.

http://i.imgur.com/yLEKS7c.jpg

Question about treetops, only look if you've finished that area.

So for the room with the yellow box which I assume has the laser at the top. I'm having trouble with the very last puzzle on the bridge there, but I can just walk over anyway. I can see a door switch through cracks/holes in the walls, but I can't seem to get an angle to open it from outside. Should I be trying to complete the last path puzzle or skip that and try to open the door?

Are you through the
door that has a timer on it
? If so tell me how :)

If not, and you mean that last puzzle that reaches that platform, then I don't think you need it. They overlap by a couple of panels

louiedog

Does anyone have any idea why this is wrong? I'm sure I've met all the rules the game has taught me thus far yet it's not accepting my solution. The stars in the top left and bottom right are flashing as wrong but I can't work out how.

(Don't think this is a spoiler, particularly, just a grid out of context, but will tag the image if people object!)

Look back over the previous puzzles. There are different rules for the stars depending on a a couple of factors.

You're still doing what you've been taught, the game is just taking you out of your comfort zone.

--

12642512_10153211590691879_4585465579108907285_n.jpg

(Don't think this is a spoiler, particularly, just a grid out of context, but will tag the image if people object!)

The black stars can only touch one other black object whether it be a block for a star

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
110 puzzles in, finished the desert area last night. I really enjoyed how the final push was kind of a "breather," a couple fast, satisfying final pieces to complete it. Curious to see if the other areas have something similar.

Yes, this is something The Witness excels at. The puzzle pacing is deliberate, and obviously very well considered.

Blow clearly knew which puzzles were difficulty spikes, and almost always places a few simpler ones after. They still aren't gimmes and can often introduce new little twists, but they aren't total brain benders, either.

Oh, okay, so the
Tetris
mechanic.
It's not simply copying the pieces, it's tracing the correct combined shape on the grid
?

Am I understanding this right? (Swamp)

My first pic asking for help - seems so simple but I just can't get my head around it. Any help would be appreciated.

Are you through the
door that has a timer on it
? If so tell me how :)

I think I understand the tetris ones well enough. You have to draw the tetris shape (obviously) but you can draw it anyway as long as it fits the tetris decal within. For instance if you draw the three vertical shape, you can draw it using the bottom three rows of the tile or the top three rows of the tile, as long as the tetris shape is within.

The tetris shapes can add too.

ANSWER (spoiler): http://imgur.com/l8GC8iR

Ok, I really didn't wanna do this with this game, but could anyone please post a screenshot showing the exact position I have to be in for this "puzzle"? It's not fun anymore and I really wanna move on in the game but I just can't let go of this.

Has anyone here got this http://i.imgur.com/OdmDlHn.jpg (+x collectible in the Symmetry area) to line up and could give me a hint?
There's a tiny black spot on the doorframe blocking the line. I feel like I've already spent way too much time on it but I just can't help myself coming back to it. I tried it from all kinds of places/point of views but up there on the roof and through that window seems to be the right one as I can't even activate the line from anywhere else.

I mean, you basically have it....you just have to move more. There isn't really a hint to give. You have the right idea you just have to find that magical spot on the roof to line it up perfectly.

Fuck me, I'm going insane here. Just tried it again for 10 minutes and nope, can't get it right. I swear, this is way more frustrating than any of the 140 actual puzzles I've solved so far.

Blow always talked about respecting the player's time but sequential puzzles that require you to input the previous answer every time you fail is the exact opposite.

The shapes will form an 'L' together: take care of the extra dots on the bottom, and remember that to win you need to land on the first square of the second row (so you can take care of the dots on the top)

It pains me to have to ask for a hint, but I'm at my wits end. I'm at the last panel on the left side of the logging area. It seems so deceptively simple, but I've been at this one for like 30 minutes now. Anyone have any idea?

http://i.imgur.com/M3aUl9Z.jpg

See where the shadows connect? Even if briefly, and seemingly stupid, go with that.

How do you
get the black cloud to go away?

Blow always talked about respecting the player's time but sequential puzzles that require you to input the previous answer every time you fail is the exact opposite.

There's only that on puzzles with a small amount of solutions, to avoid guesswork. It's a perfectly fine punishment.

It pains me to have to ask for a hint, but I'm at my wits end. I'm at the last panel on the left side of the logging area. It seems so deceptively simple, but I've been at this one for like 30 minutes now. Anyone have any idea?

http://i.imgur.com/M3aUl9Z.jpg

Now I haven't gotten there yet and idk if there's a certain mechanic but could it simply be
up, left, down?

was this one of the cooler puzzles? cuz I accidentally clicked it and I don't this to have been the coolest puzzle in the game lol

GDJustin

Had some time to play last night. Played about 4 hours and solved 86 panels. Not sure how I feel. Obviously everything is amazing but there are times I feel the puzzles aren't designed well.

For example you'll be in the middle of a panel sequence and you've solved 3 or 4, all of a sudden the rules you've been learning stop working even though there's no indication that the rules have changed. A good example of this is down by the water in the area
where you learn about simultaneous lines
and have to
draw outlines of rocks in the water. You come to one with just one rock and nothing works.

Then there's cases where you 100% understand what to do but it won't accept your solution because the rules lead to multiple valid solutions but it only accepts 1, so you guess until you figure it out. An example of this is in the castle
with the japanese garden
where you have to
look through the carving of a tree in a window to trace the solution. For the second one, lining it up leaves at least 4 valid paths from start to finish but only 1 works.
Wasted 15 minutes trying to figure out why it wasn't accepting my solution when I clearly understood the rules .

There are others where i feel like I'm at the tutorial panel for a new set of rules and I can't even make a dent in the first one. Example of this is the
tetris piece puzzle
near the windmill. I'll reserve judgment on this one because it's possible I don't actually have the tools to solve this one yet, or that I'm just not thinking about it the right way

I'm sorry, but the rules never, ever change. If you think they're changing, there's just something you're not grasping.

The windmill is not the tutorial for the tetris pieces.

cyba89

The whole town section is really great.
I love how everything you learned comes together here.

Also seems I'm one of the first who solved this whole section (going by trophy statistics).

The black stars can only touch one other black object whether it be a block for a star

Wow, really? That is certainly not something I came across!

Or it wasn't clear while I was solving earlier puzzles, anyway!

I had assumed that stars
had to be paired with each other, or with a block of the same colour, but I thought that pairing them with each other over-rode everything else so it wouldn't matter what else was in the same section as them (as long as it wasn't more stars, obviously.)

Will have to go back and look at my earlier solutions now. Thanks!

GDJustin

This is done for two reasons:

1) To prevent brute forcing the answer.

2) The rules of a puzzle, by the time you reach that point, should be 100% known to you. You should KNOW, beyond a shadow of a doubt, if your solution is about to work or not. The puzzle shutting down is the game's way of tell you "You should not be guessing on this."

What I do is draw the full line, then look over my answer before hitting submit. I know if I've got it.

This is done for two reasons:

1) To prevent brute forcing the answer.

2) The rules of a puzzle, by the time you reach that point, should be 100% known to you. You should KNOW, beyond a shadow of a doubt, if your solution is about to work or not. The puzzle shutting down is the game's way of tell you "You should not be guessing on this."

What I do is draw the full line, then look over my answer before hitting submit. I know if I've got it.

There's at least 2 examples where this isn't true, and the puzzles have issues. See my rant on previous page (maybe 2 pages back now)

Saiyan-Rox

So I
just activated the
first (I think)
laser and
doubled back to the tree puzzles but how the hell do you solve these?? Have I missed something?

I managed to figure out everything this far (
apart from the desert place I skipped it)
maybe I'm not being observant enough.

--

Just link images instead of inlining them

GDJustin

There's at least 2 examples where this isn't true, and the puzzles have issues. See my rant on previous page (maybe 2 pages back now)

See my reply, immediately above you :)

If you think something is unfair or the rules are changing, there's a detail you've missed. Specifically with the rocks, at the very least. Likely the tree outline as well, although I don't recall that one specifically.

In fact, it sounds like you missed the same thing in both those puzzles.

Pay attention to which puzzles "grab" the player and force them to input a solution from a specific straight-ahead angle, and which don't.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I think I understand the tetris ones well enough. You have to draw the tetris shape (obviously) but you can draw it anyway as long as it fits the tetris decal within. For instance if you draw the three vertical shape, you can draw it using the bottom three rows of the tile or the top three rows of the tile, as long as the tetris shape is within.

The tetris shapes can add too.

ANSWER (spoiler): http://imgur.com/l8GC8iR

So they don't all need to connect uo into one big Tetris blob? That's good to know.

(Not a solution btw because of the black dots, but knowing I don't need to connect them should be enough for me to figure it out)

I'm sorry, but the rules never, ever change. If you think they're changing, there's just something you're not grasping.

Maybe not but how do you explain the
tree tracing puzzle
I mentioned earlier where there are multiple valid answers?

There's another just around the corner from that where you
trace outlines of yellow trees in the water
and it leads to a blank panel. Right next to it is a
vine growing, obviously you're supposed to trace the pattern of the vine and nothing works.

I haven't solved that one so maybe I'm still wrong, but I'm definitely not wrong about the first one I mentioned because i did solve it and I know i was doing it right, you just had to guess which answer was correct with no rhyme or reason to why

Is there anywhere on the PS4 version you can track how many puzzles you've completed?
Go to load save. When you do that it doesn't automatically load and the save shows how many puzzles you've completed.

The rules absolutely change in some places.

Shady Grove spoiler:

The beginning of that area teaches you to avoid shadows and trace around them. Then midway through the section the answer to the puzzles is to trace along the shadows of the branches. I was stuck on that first puzzle when the rules change for a while because I was following the rules I was taught previously when in fact a new rule was being thrown at me and I needed to do something completely different.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The shapes will form an 'L' together: take care of the extra dots on the bottom, and remember that to win you need to land on the first square of the second row (so you can take care of the dots on the top).
So do Tetris shapes have to all be in one area or not? Can you eg have a vertical line on the left, and a separate vertical line on the right, as a previous poster suggests? I'd assumed like you that it would have to be an L shape because they had to touch, but now I don't know.

So do Tetris shapes have to all be in one area or not? Can you eg have a vertical line on the left, and a separate vertical line on the right, as a previous poster suggests? I'd assumed like you that it would have to be an L shape because they had to touch, but now I don't know.

There's possibly more than one solution, but mine has tem all in a single big area.

Brashnir

In general, Tetris shapes to not need to connect, but they can.

So for some puzzles they will all connect, and for others they will not.

JonnyKong

Can I please have a hint about what to do with the 3rd hedgerow maze in front of the castle type building? Truly stumped.

Edit: sorry I meant the 4th one!

Can I please have a hint about what to do with the 3rd hedgerow maze in front of the castle type building? Truly stumped.

There's really no way to give a hint without giving away the answer.
There's something in the floor that hints you on what you have to do, but you can't see it.

E: Oh, alright! It's easier than it looks
The end panel doesn't match with the maze, right? Well, it doesn't match for the most part.

Fhtagn

so there's a very early puzzle (adjacent to the starting area) that I'm wondering about because I'm not sure how to answer it based on the previous panels in the series and I'm wondering about how information in this game is conveyed.

It's a puzzle involving a tree.

Specifically the puzzle I'm asking about is
the trees with Apples showing you the answer. And then suddenly there's one with no Apple.

Now I don't want the solution but i've thought about how I should be able to answer this and there are a few strategies I could see being legitimate but I'm not sure what kind of solutions are considered fair in this game.

so...

1. is it simply a
perspective puzzle, where I have to walk around the tree until I see something red in the distance that aligns with the branches? I haven't been able to get this to align with anything obvious yet and my hunches at being right have all be wrong so far.

2. is it an observation puzzle where
there is something else to notice about the branches that have the apples on the previous trees, and I can look and see that same thing on the branches here on the apple-less tree?

3. is it a
mathematical progression puzzle
where I have to
figure it out from a pattern in which branches were the correct branch before in each panel?

Third answer seems like the least likely to be considered fair to me, so far everything else has be solved
by information directly in front of me at that one panel or very much near by, by rules developed in the previous panels.

so, am I on the correct track with any of these, or is there something else I should be contemplating? Have I just not seen the tutorial for this set yet?

Vague answers appreciated!

Can you link an image with unsolved panels? Not sure where people are getting these standardized names from so I'm not sure if it's the one i think it is

Top Bottom