• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

louiedog

Can you solve puzzles with symbols you've not seen before?

Man... I just feel like I'm playing this game "wrong"

You can solve any puzzle at any time as far as I know, but it's probably best to wait until the game has taught you how to. Best to go explore another area.

shem935

Banned
Finished up the
symmetry and ruin puzzle sets. Symmetry wasn't too hard but the boss puzzle that unlocked the laser was really clever. I noticed on the lead up that the orange line was slowly fading until it disappeared. Then got to the final set and had that epiphany to apply symmetry to it. Really cool and rewarding. The ruin was a lot harder initially but then I spotted the reflections and it was pretty smooth sailing.

I was the same, gradually it becomes clear if you study them or make a grid and draw it out. I thought i had them until i managed to drain some water and go under the swamp, the rules change again and i cannot figure out what the blue blocks are supposed to represent lol. Off i go to another part of the island in search of clues.

Yeah, they're finally starting to click after having finished the swamp. Still my least favorite I've encountered thus far, seems like they have so many possibilities compared to others. Drawing it out definitely helps though, and I would recommend getting some paper or a device with a stylus and doodling out some of the harder puzzles.

Can you solve puzzles with symbols you've not seen before?

Man... I just feel like I'm playing this game "wrong"

The best way to approach this game is to view it as a metroidvania of puzzles. Instead of getting power ups, you're learning the language at a basic level so you can come back to these more complex puzzles and have an idea of what is expected.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I managed to fumble my way through a couple of the tetris pieces and found the
boat

now I'm in a treehouse. got round most of it but suddenly one of the panels has white stars and I have no idea. when I think I've done it two of them will flash but I can't figure out why.

http://i.imgur.com/OmiyYra.png

Brashnir

boat

now I'm in a treehouse. got round most of it but suddenly one of the panels has white stars and I have no idea. when I think I've done it two of them will flash but I can't figure out why.

Hint 1:
stars must exist in same-colored pairs

Hint 2:
stars can co-exist with opposite-colored squares

Exuro

boat

Stars can have only one other of the same color circled in a group, including both stars and non stars of the same color.

I feel like I understand the concept here (
color dots
). But then that means the line needs to pass here, and that makes following the rule impossible. I must be missing something

http://i.imgur.com/yGF8U0V.jpg

Try separating even the same colored tiles from each other. Took me a while as the previous puzzles didn't show this aspect.

Grexeno

I cannot figure out where to stand for
finding the glare on the panel below the 4 panels up on the pillar.

This is so infuriating. Help.

Had some time to play last night. Played about 4 hours and solved 86 panels. Not sure how I feel. Obviously everything is amazing but there are times I feel the puzzles aren't designed well.

For example you'll be in the middle of a panel sequence and you've solved 3 or 4, all of a sudden the rules you've been learning stop working even though there's no indication that the rules have changed. A good example of this is down by the water in the area
where you learn about simultaneous lines
and have to
draw outlines of rocks in the water. You come to one with just one rock and nothing works.

Then there's cases where you 100% understand what to do but it won't accept your solution because the rules lead to multiple valid solutions but it only accepts 1, so you guess until you figure it out. An example of this is in the castle
with the japanese garden
where you have to
look through the carving of a tree in a window to trace the solution. For the second one, lining it up leaves at least 4 valid paths from start to finish but only 1 works.
Wasted 15 minutes trying to figure out why it wasn't accepting my solution when I clearly understood the rules .

There are others where i feel like I'm at the tutorial panel for a new set of rules and I can't even make a dent in the first one. Example of this is the
tetris piece puzzle
near the windmill. I'll reserve judgment on this one because it's possible I don't actually have the tools to solve this one yet, or that I'm just not thinking about it the right way

Ansatz

HOLY SHIT I just discovered something amazing that took the breath away from me because I didn't expect anything to happen when I tried it. I've never experienced anything like it in my life, I imagine this is what a heureka moment feels like.

I'm very early in the game so it's not an end game spoiler or anything, but I imagine it's massive anyway. I don't know if it has been posted here already since I avoided the thread.

MASSIVE SPOILER
MASSIVE SPOILER

The tunnel you start the game in is actually a line puzzle, walk into the cave past the first door and align the light source above the door with the dark spot to create a circle and then trace the line...

I have no idea what this does but the game definitely gave a response.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I should probably beat The Talos Principle before jumping into this, lol.

I'm curious, does $40 feel about right to you guys? I wish more games would launch at that price point honestly.

I know this will sound weird, but this game is fucking with my atheism.

There are some Buddhist and spiritualist messages scattered throughout the world of the game, and while these messages might seem like "zen crap" at first, they really... I don't know, kind of explain what the puzzles are trying to do with your head. If you pay close attention to these messages and start thinking about the "you're looking at the solution but not seeing it" nature of the puzzles and the way the whole game is presented...

It's hard to explain, but when things start clicking, it's really powerful. This thing is actually making me interested in Buddhism, and this is sooooo very weird 0_0

A little help. Forest puzzle.

Just gonna quote myself

I can not seem to finish one of the shadow tree puzzles. It seems to be virtually impossible because aligning the shadows of the rusty wall onto the puzzle just does not give me the option to escape from the branches. Jesus.

Robiin

Did anyone else finish the puzzles (after the garden mazes)
where you physically walk over the floor tiles to draw them
? If so, where did it lead to? Seems like it just looped around to the other side. There's a staircase down but you could have just went down there from the start no?

Just gonna quote myself
I did those a few hours ago, do you have a picture to remind me which one? With the surrounding area would be helpful.

I'm curious, does $40 feel about right to you guys? I wish more games would launch at that price point honestly.

I think it all depends on your perspective, honestly. $40 seems fair to me based on the amount of puzzles in the game and how long it will take to complete (40 hours to "finish" the story but not solve all puzzles, by most accounts).

If you're looking for content density, like a fully-voiced 8-10 hour story, then this obviously isn't going to feel worth $40.

All-in-all, though...it was in development for what? 7 years? $40 seems reasonable considering the time poured into it and the resulting puzzles.

polychron

Just gonna quote myself

Can you get a screenshot of the one exactly? Just got done with those ones myself so I should be able to help you out.

On another note, in the
hedgerow maze, the second maze with no gates
I just got the solution by accident but I want to understand why that is the solution and not any of the other possible answers. Can anyone point me the right way?

Edit: I literally just figured it out. For anyone like me , a hint is to
look at the grass and the ground while in the maze

killroy87

Did anyone else finish the puzzles (after the garden mazes)
where you physically walk over the floor tiles to draw them
? If so, where did it lead to? Seems like it just looped around to the other side. There's a staircase down but you could have just went down there from the start no?

I got a couple of them done, but I hit one with a mechanic I had never seen before (
some sort of lines in the grid blocks
), so I walked away, defeated.

Prob shouldn't post solutions.

please spoiler tag this picture.

What the fuck man? Don't post that image...just link it!

Jesus.

Well there's a spoiler post lol

Can you spoiler tag that photo, since it's showing solutions for the
lighthouse videos.

I've been so cautious as well. I fixed it, sorry everybody. I definitely deserved the above

Makai

Troll puzzle

2016_01_27_00001.jpg

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Hint 1:
stars must exist in same-colored pairs

Hint 2:
stars can co-exist with opposite-colored squares

Stars can have only one other of the same color circled in a group, including both stars and non stars of the same color.

thanks for the hints. I'm being really dense though because I don't understand why this doesn't work.

http://i.imgur.com/wSxhW84.png

the white block and black blocks are seperate with a pair of stars in each but the ones with the white block flash red

Urgh.

Now I'm stuck on a puzzle attached to an orange container with blue paint on it. I've done these type before but its been a while so I can't seem to complete it.

GhaleonEB

68 panels in, working through the
dual lines
area of the rocky section. Couple of nice eureka moments in there.
When the yellow line fades out completely and you solve the next few on pure instinct. I nearly leaped to my feet and cheered when I did the last one.

Nothing too crazy yet, but it's still quite early. Loving it.

Robiin

I got a couple of them done, but I hit one with a mechanic I had never seen before (
some sort of lines in the grid blocks
), so I walked away, defeated.
A tip for those, not that one specifically but a general one:
you don't have to draw the line correctly in one go. You can walk across the unused floor and fill in a few and work backwards
. The last one (I think it was the last) really just fucks with your expectations. Felt really good to solve it.
You can touch the blocked panel with your feet, then walk around it to continue drawing.

Catvoca

Banned
Sorry to post this again, but can anyone tell me if this puzzle is from the tutorial area for this mechanic? It's to do with the three pronged symbol. If it is, can you give me a hint as to how it's meant to work?

CZvS_xIWYAEMN8K.jpg

killroy87

68 panels in, working through the
dual lines
area of the rocky section. Couple of nice eureka moments in there.
When the yellow line fades out completely and you solve the next few on pure instinct. I nearly leaped to my feet and cheered when I did the last one.

Nothing too crazy yet, but it's still quite early. Loving it.

Yeah, I did that last night too. It felt really good

Acccent

Yeah that's the one I was thinking of ;)

Thanks, I'll have another look then :)

and I'm out of this thread because tbf the spoiler situation is out of control lol. Tagging a spoiler without indicating the area or hinting in some way as to what the spoiler tags will contain isn't very helpful :( and I'm seeing lots of untagged mechanics, and that huge image too. Shame.

Anyway, hope you all enjoy the game!

I posted this yesterday with no response, but maybe now that people have played more I could get a tip haha. Question regarding a puzzle in the marsh / red swamp / whatever it is area:

I'm at the set of puzzles where you need to combine the yellow dots to make shapes. More specifically, the ones on green backgrounds where the shapes can fit into each other (A tile with 3x3 yellow dots with the centre one missing can fit with a tile with a single yellow dot).

I'm super stuck on a puzzle where one of the tiles has two columns of two yellow dots, separated by a gap. I've tried all kinds of what seems to be logical solutions, but nothing is working. I'm pretty sure I just don't understand the tile I described above. If I recall correctly the other tiles are a 3 yellow dot column, and a 3 yellow dot column, with two dots connected to the left side of the top dot. Does anyone have any tips? Thanks.

Robiin

Sure.

No fucking clue why the picture is upside down though.[/QUOTE]
Hint 1: You are looking at the solution (which means you should probably link the picture because it is a puzzle spoiler).

Hint 2: [spoiler]See the shadow on the blocking fasade?[/spoiler]

iFirez

Sorry to post this again, but can anyone tell me if this puzzle is from the tutorial area for this mechanic? It's to do with the three pronged symbol. If it is, can you give me a hint as to how it's meant to work?

CZvS_xIWYAEMN8K.jpg

I'd like to know this too, there doesn't seem to be any easy explanation of what to do with that tri-point symbol, but I guess it's something pretty easy once you understand the mechanic like the coloured tetris like shapes.

Anyone had any luck finding unicode symbols for some of these shapes and icons too?

kadotsu

Banned
I'd like to know this too, there doesn't seem to be any easy explanation of what to do with that tri-point symbol, but I guess it's something pretty easy once you understand the mechanic like the coloured tetris like shapes.

Anyone had any luck finding unicode symbols for some of these shapes and icons too?

That symbol
needs one mistake in the puzzle to activate. The mistake may not be separated by the line

GlamFM

Banned

Absolutely, Hawk.

I think you´re gonna love it.

It's been a long time since I thought about a game even when I'm not playing it.

Bloodborne was the last one I can think of, but now I find myself thinking about The Witness at work...

So I finished the first major puzzle(section? I got a trophy lol) and I was wondering if rumble feedback was something that is required later on in the game. I have it turned off so I don't want to miss something because of my settings lol.

ultron87

CZvS_xIWYAEMN8K.jpg

That is the tutorial area.

Hint 1:
Just try each route to the finish and see which one works.

Hint 2:
See what happens if you miss the black dot.

Hint 1: You are looking at the solution (which means you should probably link the picture because it is a puzzle spoiler).

Hint 2:
See the shadow on the blocking fasade?

I do, I do.

I can see the shape of the starting point in the structure but it isnt getting me anywhere when I follow that exact same pattern. I know that is part of the solution, but the input I am giving is always false.

Top Bottom