• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Feep

Banned
Glad I'm not the only one that doesn't understand the tetris puzzles. They make zero fucking sense. If someone can explain I would appreciate it.
Basically,
you can trace around a single tetris piece in that particular shape to "complete" it. The challenging parts come in as you "combine" two different tetris pieces...as long as the combined piece still contains both origin pieces in its boundaries, then they can be combined in any way, first over second, first under second, first to the left and one block down, etc., as long as they're touching. Figuring out how they combine while managing to keep the symbols in the boundaries is the challenge.

Talka

The last puzzle I tried before bed was the blue-ish building in the town with the blue dividers and the grass/leaves growing in between and a puzzle on the door. I was sure I figured it out but no dice. Now I'm at work and it's driving me crazy. Any advice?

My suggestion is don't read any hints on this one... you can totally solve it. If you can't get it keep playing elsewhere and come back to it.

These early tetronimino puzzles have been throwing me for a loop every time I think I understand the rules. Went back to an earlier one after doing most of the swamp and I cant even get this one which probably has an easy solution. Going by what you said just now I gave this a try. Why doesn't this work?
https://flic.kr/p/DqYZ8X
or this https://flic.kr/p/DvVXps
I really just want to understand the rules of these better because I keep taking the longest on ones that have tetris pieces and when I solve it I feel kinda lucky instead of proud of myself.

When you make a tetromino shape with your line, the corresponding tetromino symbol on the board has to be inside it. You can draw an outline of multiple tetromino shapes as long as all their corresponding symbols are inside your line.

If anyone cares to help with the 5th puzzle of the last 5 puzzles in the Forest area, regarding the shadow patterns, I'd be much delighted. I want to be done with this area. It is nothing but frustration and this has not happened with the previous 150 puzzles.

Kemal86

See, to me, the shadow puzzles were the easiest in the game. I loved that entire section. And yet some other simple stuff is absolutely devastating me.

Different minds.

Yep. Did all of the tree shadow stuff super quick. Been sitting on the 3rd set of swamp-tetris tutorials for an hour.

BeeDog

Cannot for the life of me understand the logic of the puzzles where you have the three-edged star (think of the inner part of the Mercedes logo).

It's inside the building down by the quarry-looking area where you get the boat for the first time. You have to solve two easy puzzles to open the door to this building, which then holds a lever to open the gate up to the building's roof. Is it power of deduction of the dots that keep blinking when you reach the exit?

I'd appreciate some help with that one.

Venfayth

I really want to play this game, but I also feel like the atmosphere and controls make it an ideal candidate for a VR game. I'm trying to hold off til my Oculus ships in April but I don't know if I can make it. Should I bite the bullet now or wait?

Maybe not but how do you explain the
tree tracing puzzle
I mentioned earlier where there are multiple valid answers?

If i'm thinking of the right puzzle, there's a piece broken off of the carving that you are meant to trace. Look for it on the floor, then imagine that piece was not broken off.

I dunno if that's strictly true. The puzzles where the player is learning/experimenting are generally different to the puzzles where the player should know what they're doing, and the "tutorial" puzzles don't turn off when they've been solved incorrectly.
There are three types as far as I can tell.

1. Tutorial puzzles which offer feedback by flashing to indicate what you did right and wrong.
2. Gated puzzles that tell you nothing other than, you did it wrong.
3. Puzzles that punish you by telling you it was wrong and slapping you in the face by making you enter the previous answer.

My problem with the latter is that in two cases it seems to straddle the line between tutorial and punishment. Perhaps there is some hard delineation between tutorials and proper puzzles but I'm not seeing it.

Specifically I'm talking about the camouflage puzzles.

edit. And to be clear I'm not fishing for hints.

JonnyKong

Oh god, just attempting the swamp for the first time with these tetris blocks. Everything I've read of this place on this thread terrifies me.

oh dear god, it's happening. i don't have a single clue.
At the Elevator where the cable is broke http://imgur.com/ugEwlOd
HOW?

Look at the ceiling of the highest floor you can get - there's a green light: the panels are not changing by floor: it's the same panel, but with different lighting, so basically you're going need to solve it for the green floor.

Cannot for the life of me understand the logic of the puzzles where you have the three-edged star (think of the inner part of the Mercedes logo).

It's inside the building down by the quarry-looking area where you get the boat for the first time. You have to solve two easy puzzles to open the door to this building, which then holds a lever to open the gate up to the building's roof.

See how
on the very first you see, to raise the platform, you're skipping a dot? The dot flashes red, and then both the Y/Dot turn white, saying you still succeeded. You need to 'feed' a mistake to the Mercedes Logo, be it a dot not destroyed or a red square in a green section, yadda yadda

How do i get to the swamp? I found tetris puzzle but no "tutorial"

It's at the foot of the mountain; go past the japanese temple and instead of climbing the mountain go down.

Then help me out. This shadow puzzle stuff is infuriating.

Which one are you on?

BeeDog

See how
on the very first you see, to raise the platform, you're skipping a dot? The dot flashes red, and then both the Y/Dot turn white, saying you still succeeded. You need to 'feed' a mistake to the Mercedes Logo, be it a dot not destroyed or a red square in a green section, yadda yadda

Thanks a lot, seems I just figured it out while reading your post as well.

Absinthe

Finally slept last night around 2am. I was stuck on this puzzle:

http://i.imgur.com/ulvCc19.jpg Looking through the yellow glass to see these colors.

Looking at it today on my phone and I still can't figure out what I'm missing. Everything up to this point was pretty simple. Can some of the colors remain in the same area or is there some logic I am missing?

What am I looking for on the third of the hedge mazes? I'm freaking the fuck out!

Thanks

You're not "looking" for anything *winks*

Finally slept last night around 2am. I was stuck on this puzzle:

Looking at it today on my phone and I still can't figure out what I'm missing. Everything up to this point was pretty simple. Can some of the colors remain in the same area or is there some logic I am missing?

If it's the one that I think it is,
There's not only a yellow window

I absolutely love the game. And the voice acting is top notch.

Ive been running around just doing puzzles that make sense to me and such. The
sun temple
is the only one I don't understand the rules.

That and the fill the shapes outline ones like in the swamp. Those things give me a headache.

N30RYU

I'm getting dumb with the
birds, wolf, telephone" sound puzzles... i'm stuck in one that I supose is not linear and have to make a turn to make another sound... but i don't get it...

Also in the shadow puzzle i posted before i know i have to evade only the threes... but there's no way with this one..

Is the story anything that I can be spoiled about, and if so should I even care?

I will play this but I want to know how importand the story is to the experience. If not at all then I can happily wait a few months.

Grexeno

Can someone help me with this puzzle?

http://i.imgur.com/wimfcHW.jpg

I came back to it after finishing the Desert Ruins, so I noticed that there's a sun glare element to it. The problem is that the glare goes into shadow on the right, and there is no path to the end points on the top left and bottom left since the sun is shining on the top middle with no glare.

Christ, I am just not smart enough to play this game.

I've made a tiny bit of progress in most of the areas, but only have one laser up
for the symmetry area.

ultrazilla

So will you feel like the man when you solve some of
these puzzles? I want HARD puzzles. The kind that keep you up at night, break your back, make you humble.

BeeDog

It's inside the building down by the quarry-looking area where you get the boat for the first time. You have to solve two easy puzzles to open the door to this building, which then holds a lever to open the gate up to the building's roof. Is it power of deduction of the dots that keep blinking when you reach the exit?

Nope, thought I was getting it but still don't understand the logic at all, been beating myself on the last puzzle up the interactive ramp for 20 minutes. Heeeeeelp :(

TheRed

When you make a tetromino shape with your line, the corresponding tetromino symbol on the board has to be inside it. You can draw an outline of multiple tetromino shapes as long as all their corresponding symbols are inside your line.
Can't rotate the pieces right?

Trojan

Man, this thread is becoming spoiler dumping grounds fast. I was doing a pretty good job skipping any posts that looked like they have spoilers but that's getting tough. May have to bail until I finish the game!

I just need something to satisfy my Witness addition during work....

Hyoukokun

Is the story anything that I can be spoiled about, and if so should I even care?

I will play this but I want to know how importand the story is to the experience. If not at all then I can happily wait a few months.

I gather from reviews and such that there's a possibly-spoilable moment of revelation (they've all been super vague on what exactly that is, which is probably good). I've played for four hours and don't think I've hit it quite yet, though I've had a bunch of lesser "a-ha!" moments.

JonnyKong

Swamp area -
I'm really struggling with the bridge type panel. I don't know how I can separate the three yellow cubes in the middlein a horizontal row separately. It's doing my nut in. I've tried combining it with the vertical shapes near it, but I can't see how that's possible

Edit: for God's sake, I did it literally the second I posted this. It was so easy as well.

Top Bottom