• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Lunar FC

Still really early in the game but I don't understand these puzzles that have
like invisible walls with two color dots but only one line.
I know that's a terrible description. But I have no idea what it wants.

Brashnir

Can someone explain to me why this doesn't work? These damn tetris puzzles are so frustrating.

The puzzle.
My attempted solution.
I feel like I've checked all the boxes I need to for the puzzle. I collected the two black dots; cordoned off the black squares from the white; in my tetris Frankenstein I have a horizontal L block, a horizontal straight block, and two canted L blocks. I don't get it!

You can't mirror tetris blocks.

Can someone explain to me why this doesn't work? These damn tetris puzzles are so frustrating.

The puzzle.
My attempted solution.
I feel like I've checked all the boxes I need to for the puzzle. I collected the two black dots; cordoned off the black squares from the white; in my tetris Frankenstein I have a horizontal L block, a horizontal straight block, and two canted L blocks. I don't get it!

The L block on top is mirrored, yo can't do that. That one is incredibly hard tho.

Can someone explain why this doesn't work?
I've made a version where I've annotated the shapes using l33t MSPaint Skills to show my thinking on why it should work...

The '2' is split by two columns, not one.

TheRed

I actually have the same exact question?
When adding those blocks together, this should make absolute sense.

I was stuck on this one too for a long time too, the symbol with the two squares seperated by a space is actually seperated by 2 spaces, after someone gave me that tip I figured it out finally shortly after.

Tetraeon

Can someone explain to me why this isn't correct? I think I'm missing something big with these types (beginning of swamp):

This series of puzzles is all about
fitting the block in a logical way in the frame so that A: all of the affected (marked with the blocks) are cordoned off and B: the spaces allow for the pieces to all fit. In this case you have the three blocks and the forth block - think of the various ways you can arrange them in the grid by only drawing one line to block off an area where all of the shapes would fit that also contains all three markings on the panel.

Saiyan-Rox

It's actually one of the reasons why I wanted to play this at launch, and try to stay ahead of the average player. I'd probably keep asking too if the puzzles I'm having trouble on were early/mid game, so it was a bit of a 'corrective' method, haha.

The 5x5 Tetris panels on the Village are already advanced. The tutorial for it is on the swamp/marsh.
The tutorial for these are in a different area? -_- these panels have a 4 block Tetris block followed by a whole lot of black dots. I know what the black dots are for anyway. I don't think my patience level will allow me to get very far in this xD I know the game allows you to skip and come back but I'd end up forgetting.

Oh and those random panels which are blank other than the lines is there some trick to those?
Every type of symbol has a set of puzzles designed to teach you what it means. If you have access to the
map (you'll know when you do) you can see where on the island each icon is learnt and can travel there.
That's only a small spoiler, I'm sure most have discovered it by now and it was in the trailer anyway, haha.

But yes, there's every chance you will meet puzzles you don't know how to solve, but there's always somewhere to learn how to solve them - come back later.

I don't think asking for help is a problem, really, as long as you take the help and understand it, rather than just copying a solution and moving on.

Ah okay! I'll come back here later on I guess lol

The tutorial for these are in a different area? -_- these panels have a 4 block Tetris block followed by a whole lot of black dots. I know what the black dots are for anyway. I don't think my patience level will allow me to get very far in this xD I know the game allows you to skip and come back but I'd end up forgetting.

Oh and those random panels which are blank other than the lines is there some trick to those?

You won't end up skipping because those are necessary for the village area. It's sort of the 'culmination' area, haha.

I don't know what panels you're talking for the second one.

Cool perspective easter egg on the swamp:
http://images.akamai.steamuserconte...672/B51D5C52E9E2A998653757CF26FB8CC17A3A36EB/

God this game <3

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Another tip for the tetris puzzles for people:
if you're stuck, try starting from counting how many squares the symbols contain total and working out patterns that contain those tiles and have that many squares. i.e if you have to fit two Ls and a T together, figure out what shapes have 12 squares and also enclose those tiles

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

Hint:
this might not make sense because I don't know where exactly you are, but there's a sequence of panels that make it very clear what is happening with the puzzle type you describe. Pay attention to the appearance of the yellow line as you progress through them.

DJ88

I can't for the life of me understand these tetris puzzles. I'm probably being stupid but the rules seem to change.

Why doesn't this work?:
http://i.imgur.com/rWvwZGP.png

Yup. I kept swearing this was the solution, it made perfect sense. Then I realized,
I was separating and moving pieces of one the shapes to fit the way you have there. You aren't allowed to do that. The shapes contained in the squares must remain as shown.

icespide

Banned
get stuck on a puzzle for hours. finally complete it, huge sigh of relief, move into next door. god dammit more puzzles

I love it though

Saiyan-Rox

You won't end up skipping because those are necessary for the village area. It's sort of the 'culmination' area, haha.

I don't know what panels you're talking for the second one.

Is the village area the place with a half destroyed church? I'm so lost xD
And the panels are just the lines nothing else no dots no other things in the puzzle just the lines you make.

DJ88

There are some puzzles where there's a blue line and a yellow line, and you control both, but the yellow line is invisible in some of them. Is this what's meant to happen? or is this a quirk of my graphics card?

It's intentional.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I really liked the swamp personally. There's a twist on the mechanic it introduces at the end that I'm eager to see used more later in the game

Is the village area the place with a half destroyed church? I'm so lost xD
And the panels are just the lines nothing else no dots no other things in the puzzle just the lines you make.

Yeah, that's the one.
I think those panels are 'symmetry ones'. Go to the canyon-like area near the start, because they seem like invisible walls but really aren't in the end.

I really liked the swamp personally. There's a twist on the mechanic it introduces at the end that I'm eager to see used more later in the game

The
blue squares? Yeah, it was pretty great. It's probably the hardest area overall, though

There are some puzzles where there's a blue line and a yellow line, and you control both, but the yellow line is invisible in some of them. Is this what's meant to happen? or is this a quirk of my graphics card?

Spoiler tag some of that.
That's what is meant to happen.

There are some puzzles where there's a blue line and a yellow line, and you control both,
but the yellow line is invisible in some of them. Is this what's meant to happen? or is this a quirk of my graphics card?

Did you notice that they
progressively got dimmer and dimmer with each puzzle until it became invisible?

Also try to use spoiler tags more liberally.

Lunar FC

Hint:
this might not make sense because I don't know where exactly you are, but there's a sequence of panels that make it very clear what is happening with the puzzle type you describe. Pay attention to the appearance of the yellow line as you progress through them.

So I should look for a set of panels that help explain these?

mclem

Had a quick half-hour stint before WoW for tonight, played through
The Orchard
- or at least, I think I did?

I'm noticing of late that I'm having quite a few runs of sequences of puzzles where there's no apparent reward. I might have missed something each time, but there was a nice visual reward at the end of that section, even if I couldn't figure out a way it opens up progression - maybe that's all it is?

Also - and quite possibly related - still haven't found any audio logs. A (very slight) spoilery question:

Are they a physical object in the world, and if so, do you collect them by walking over them or 'using' them with the cursor?

I suspect I may simply be looking out for the wrong thing.

One other aspect related to it (suggest you don't touch this until you've done a lot of exploration, at least, but it's only really an exploration thing):

I would, perhaps, have expected to see one in amongst the tableau atop the mountain

And one other, more spoilery thing relating to that location (second line more explicitly spoilery)

There's a trivial panel there; I noticed quite quickly what that represented, but I used it before seeing the thing it represented, so I'm not sure if using the panel had an effect on the thing.

Was the river flowing before I used that panel?

Saiyan-Rox

Yeah, that's the one.
I think those panels are 'symmetry ones'. Go to the canyon-like area near the start, because they seem like invisible walls but really aren't in the end.

The
blue squares? Yeah, it was pretty great. It's probably the hardest area overall, though

Ah great is that panel on the wall (5 of them) the Tetris block tutorial?

I just moved on now at a hedge maze and walking puzzle lol

Ah great is that panel on the wall (5 of them) the Tetris block tutorial?

I just moved on now at a hedge maze and walking puzzle lol
The tutorial for the tetris is at the swamp, at the foot of the mountain. After you leave the keep/castle go towards the mountain but don't climb it, go down instead. It's a real hard area though.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Please don't try to rush through this.

As was brought up on the Bombcast, if you cheat/ask your way through an early puzzle and don't comprehend why something worked, you're just screwing yourself out of later knowledge and being even further behind the curve as harder puzzles come up.

Understood and agree. But sometimes you just hit a mental block and you can't get past it. Yes you can go away and come back later, but other time since you're literally othe last panel of a section so you just want ,and I think that's ok

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Come back later when you've learnt how to do the, the game introduces those to you in a section really well.

I don't want an answer really but maybe let me know if it actually does something? Pretty early game: building near symmetry
The different pots in the boat house type building. I figured out how to raise different ones and that each one sort of fills in the one across from it(if they were put together in a way) but besides that is this used for something else?

Saiyan-Rox

The tutorial for the tetris is at the swamp, at the foot of the mountain. After you leave the keep/castle go towards the mountain but don't climb it, go down instead. It's a real hard area though.

I just wanted to double check

Sorry for being a pain my brain is fried lol thanks though :)

cilonen

D'oh. I'm going to have to wait until I can get a crosshair overlay working or they patch something in for the motion sickness.

Want to play so much but I can't for any decent length of time.

cyba89

Finished the game with
panels +24 solved. The last few puzzles were crazy good. Blow is a mad genius for creating this stuff. Extremly satisfying when you figure it out. I'm glad I managed to solve everything on my own.
There is still so much to explore on this island. I at least want to actvate all the remaining lasers. Going for all the secrets is probably overkill.

Also I really recommend to not ask for too much help in here. You're stealing yourself from an experience that is incredibly rare in gaming.

Top Bottom