• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Swamp area -
I'm really struggling with the bridge type panel. I don't know how I can separate the three yellow cubes in the middlein a horizontal row separately. It's doing my nut in. I've tried combining it with the vertical shapes near it, but I can't see how that's possible
Hint:
The shapes are the bridge.

Grexeno

Quoting myself because pls help.
Can someone help me with this puzzle?

http://i.imgur.com/wimfcHW.jpg

I came back to it after finishing the Desert Ruins, so I noticed that there's a sun glare element to it. The problem is that the glare goes into shadow on the right, and there is no path to the end points on the top left and bottom left since the sun is shining on the top middle with no glare.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I think it all depends on your perspective, honestly. $40 seems fair to me based on the amount of puzzles in the game and how long it will take to complete (40 hours to "finish" the story but not solve all puzzles, by most accounts).

If you're looking for content density, like a fully-voiced 8-10 hour story, then this obviously isn't going to feel worth $40.

All-in-all, though...it was in development for what? 7 years? $40 seems reasonable considering the time poured into it and the resulting puzzles.

Totally worth it.
Absolutely, Hawk.

I think you´re gonna love it.

Thanks guys. It does seem totally up my alley.

Maybe I'll try and brute force through the end of Talos Principle over the next couple of days.

Just finished
the Desert Temple
. I was stuck
there at the entrance when
I first went. I thought there was something I need to learn, but when I came back it just clicked.

That's
3 lasers down now

Anyone have a suggested app for android that's very useful for notes, preferably with custom grid lines?

I know it's not what you're asking for, but I'd suggest getting some grid paper

Care to help?

Do you have graph paper or a drafting app?

I'm not sure what particular trouble you're facing, but some tips:
Try tracing the shadow back closer to the source, often the missing pieces are broken up onto different physical surfaces. Also, the shadows cast onto the puzzle don't always line up with the actual solution. You have to adjust and shift the solution in your head (or on paper) over a few spots. Also, whether you trace the light or trace the shadow is indicated somewhat differently. Pay attention to that too.

I don't know if that helps at all.

marjo

I posted this yesterday with no response, but maybe now that people have played more I could get a tip haha. Question regarding a puzzle in the marsh / red swamp / whatever it is area:

I'm at the set of puzzles where you need to combine the yellow dots to make shapes. More specifically, the ones on green backgrounds where the shapes can fit into each other (A tile with 3x3 yellow dots with the centre one missing can fit with a tile with a single yellow dot).

I'm super stuck on a puzzle where one of the tiles has two columns of two yellow dots, separated by a gap. I've tried all kinds of what seems to be logical solutions, but nothing is working. I'm pretty sure I just don't understand the tile I described above. If I recall correctly the other tiles are a 3 yellow dot column, and a 3 yellow dot column, with two dots connected to the left side of the top dot. Does anyone have any tips? Thanks.

I think I know the puzzle you're talking about. I got hang up on it for a while as well until I realized that the gap between the set of 2 vertical dots is two columns wide, and not one.

Hm is it worth getting the game now to be in on the discussion for helping on the puzzles? On the verge of purchasing since I already have 2/3 of the cost on my ps wallet...

Yeah, give it a few weeks and there will be spoilers everywhere. Get in while it's hot
also the game is totally worth it

I think I know the puzzle you're talking about. I got hang up on it for a while as well until I realized that the gap between the set of 2 vertical dots is two columns wide, and not one.

I had the exact same problem. That revelation led me to the solution.

Saiyan-Rox

Okay I think I'm too stupid and reckless for this game.

When you go to a new area and new puzzles are there is there anything that tells you what the new symbols mean? Or do you just need to do them over and over till you figure them out? I just got to a town I guess and there are 3 different types 1 with different colors one with a Tetris block and 2 with nothing in them except the lines :S

Phreaker

Hm is it worth getting the game now to be in on the discussion for helping on the puzzles? On the verge of purchasing since I already have 2/3 of the cost on my ps wallet...

Sure. I played it a couple hours last night and am really enjoying it. I am going to try to do as much as I can without hints/spoilers though.

Yeah! I finally completed the forest region with those shadow puzzles. I do not know what it was but after the 5th puzzle of the last 5 I just steamrolled through them.

-griffy-

Banned

Liamc723

Swamp area -
I'm really struggling with the bridge type panel. I don't know how I can separate the three yellow cubes in the middlein a horizontal row separately. It's doing my nut in. I've tried combining it with the vertical shapes near it, but I can't see how that's possible

Edit: for God's sake, I did it literally the second I posted this. It was so easy as well.

Hint:
The shapes are the bridge.

I'm at this exact point and I still don't understand. What should I be drawing?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Guys, this game. This game!! There are sooooo many more secrets and mysteries than people realize. It truly is layers of an onion -

- Solving the puzzles.
- Piecing together the story.
- Finding the "collectible" puzzle panels.
(Spoiler for something most have discovered by now)
- Finding all the drawn lines in the island itself.
- Finding the vaults that contain the hexagon papers for use in the
theater.

...until this morning, I thought that was "it." And I thought that was MORE than enough mystery for any one game. But... it's puzzles all the way down. I genuinely believe, in my heart of hearts, that it will be over a month until everything has been solved.

This is a minor hint of the discovery IGN's reviewer Chloi made today - probably one of the people in the world farthest along in the game:
You can spot differences in the island when you load an early game save and compare it to a late game one. Your puzzle-solving presence there is making changes, slowly over time, that are not immediately apparent.

There are (at least) two things on the island that are important that no one realizes are important yet, and at least one door that I think literally no one has opened :)

Can someone explain to me why this isn't correct? I think I'm missing something big with these types (beginning of swamp):

This is a tough one, a bunch of people have gotten stuck on it
including me

Here's your hint
Each tetris block needs the entire amount of blocks in it. So the 2 threes need 3 and the 4 needs 4 for a total of 10 blocks. The blocks you make them in have to contain the tetris block logo but do not need to be on that tetris block if you're doing more than 1 in a line.

The panel controls the bridge. So connect the middle section (the bridge) to one of the sides to move across. The puzzle can be completed two different ways, to move to the left side or right side.

When you go to a new area and new puzzles are there is there anything that tells you what the new symbols mean? Or do you just need to do them over and over till you figure them out? I just got to a town I guess and there are 3 different types 1 with different colors one with a Tetris block and 2 with nothing in them except the lines :S

You know the tutorial panels after you leave the starting area? For the white/black squares and the dots? For every symbol there's one like that. Right now, go around, seeing the ones you can do it, and when you find the boat you'll get a map showing where every 'tutorial' is.

No, that's didn't work either, but it was a good guess!

The 'three-high' blocks are in a 2-block space. Just go straight up after doubling back to the middle.

JonnyKong

its hard to describe written down.

Wrap the vertical column on the left with the column by going straight up, come back down straight away and then in the middle move right to include the middle three blocks, then head left again to come next to the vertical left column then move it down. your line should be at the bottom then, move that along to the far edge and wrap off the last column, this will keep the bridge activated. If you wanna move the bridge, you have to include the middle blocks with the right vertical column instead of left. Hope this makes kind of sense.

I'm starting to feel like with my work project being what it is at the moment (i.e. constant "brain work") playing this game after work is a no go. Just played for a couple of hours (got three areas finished now) and I'm just feeling fully spent. Maybe I'll wait for the weekend before going any further.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
including me

Here's your hint
Each tetris block needs the entire amount of blocks in it. So the 2 threes need 3 and the 4 needs 4 for a total of 10 blocks. The blocks you make them in have to contain the tetris block logo but do not need to be on that tetris block if you're doing more than 1 in a line.

Great, got it thanks! Now I'm stuck on the next one... ugh. At least I know the rules now.

I am stupid. Cannot figure out what the inverted y or nuclear symbols mean on the panels. :(

Are you on the quarry?
Explanation:
The first puzzle can only be solved by missing a dot. Normally this would be a failure, and you do get a brief 'red' flash -> basically, you need to feed a mistake to the Y and it will correct it.

Please don't try to rush through this.

As was brought up on the Bombcast, if you cheat/ask your way through an early puzzle and don't comprehend why something worked, you're just screwing yourself out of later knowledge and being even further behind the curve as harder puzzles come up.

Liamc723

Managed to get the bridge working in the swamp, thanks!

But now I'm stuck on the next set of puzzles. Despite reading everything over the past few pages, I simply do not understand how these tetris pieces work.

Saiyan-Rox

You know the tutorial panels after you leave the starting area? For the white/black squares and the dots? For every symbol there's one like that. Right now, go around, seeing the ones you can do it, and when you find the boat you'll get a map showing where every 'tutorial' is.

The 'three-high' blocks are in a 2-block space. Just go straight up after doubling back to the middle.

Oh those panels are the "tutorial" there was one long panel for the
Tetris block
on a house here but that was all I found. I'll go back and give it a go. I think I've found some drop off points for the boat but no boat as of yet.

As was brought up on the Bombcast, if you cheat/ask your way through an early puzzle and don't comprehend why something worked, you're just screwing yourself out of later knowledge and being even further behind the curve as harder puzzles come up.

It's actually one of the reasons why I wanted to play this at launch, and try to stay ahead of the average player. I'd probably keep asking too if the puzzles I'm having trouble on were early/mid game, so it was a bit of a 'corrective' method, haha.

Oh those panels are the "tutorial" there was one long panel for the
Tetris block
on a house here but that was all I found. I'll go back and give it a go. I think I've found some drop off points for the boat but no boat as of yet.

The 5x5 Tetris panels on the Village are already advanced. The tutorial for it is on the swamp/marsh.

Colasante

Can someone explain to me why this doesn't work? These damn tetris puzzles are so frustrating.

The puzzle.
My attempted solution.
I feel like I've checked all the boxes I need to for the puzzle. I collected the two black dots; cordoned off the black squares from the white; in my tetris Frankenstein I have a horizontal L block, a horizontal straight block, and two canted L blocks. I don't get it!

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
including me

Here's your hint

One of the annoying parts of these puzzles is if one of the shapes does actually legally fit it still blinks like it doesn't if you don't have the exact solution.

Every type of symbol has a set of puzzles designed to teach you what it means. If you have access to the
map (you'll know when you do) you can see where on the island each icon is learnt and can travel there.
That's only a small spoiler, I'm sure most have discovered it by now and it was in the trailer anyway, haha.

But yes, there's every chance you will meet puzzles you don't know how to solve, but there's always somewhere to learn how to solve them - come back later.

I don't think asking for help is a problem, really, as long as you take the help and understand it, rather than just copying a solution and moving on.

Top Bottom