• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

hydruxo

We need a survey. How many people are:
A) Using paper to sketch stuff.
B) Using their cell phone to take pics.
C) None of the above.

I've got a pretty good guide going from liberal use of B.

I got that one. Took some time.
The colors on the other hand... I gave up and wandered off.

I've used paper to sketch some stuff, particularly the
symmetry
puzzles.

justjim89

Now I'm second guessing myself as far as my understanding of the rules of black and white dots.

Do they need to be entirely separated? Does just one set need to be enclosed?
I got through the tutorial section and other black and white puzzles but now I'm at the part where you have to
walk on the light up floor
and I feel like maybe I don't properly understand the rule set.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
How in the hell is this puzzle even possible? (In the treetops)

http://i.imgur.com/gRDrupK.jpg

So the sun looking shapes need to be in pairs, along with the black/orange boxes. The boxes seemingly can be secluded but only if they both touch nothing else while the stars need to stay in pairs no matter what. Given the shape of this I have hit it from damn near ever angle since it's basically a mirrored block and don't see any way to keep the sun shapes together without splitting the boxes.

Bout to have gray hairs before I finish this game.

Exuro

Now I'm second guessing myself as far as my understanding of the rules of black and white dots.

Do they need to be entirely separated? Does just one set need to be enclosed?
I got through the tutorial section and other black and white puzzles but now I'm at the part where you have to
walk on the light up floor
and I feel like maybe I don't properly understand the rule set.
All black and white have to be separate, and they can also be separate from the same color ie if theres 2 whites and 2 blacks the whites and blacks must be separate but you could also separate the 2 whites from each other.

Lunar FC

So I am at the part where they teach you the tetris puzzles and went on that
moving platform
, how the hell do I go back? I can't get any of these puzzles over here.

Anybody?

Also, can the tetris pieces share squares or not? Feel like i've had varying results.

C) None of the above.

Using paper to write down solutions for later
iPad with drawing program for working out puzzles on the fly
I've taken a few photos as well, but haven't really gone back to reference them.

Robiin

C) None of the above.

A and B, both. I need a notebook with outlined blocks, my squares are not exactly squares as much as four lines sort of connected.

Stumped on one of the last tetris tutorial puzzles. I'm gonna have to sleep on this, it's 2 am all of a sudden!

*Splinter

How in the hell is this puzzle even possible? (In the treetops)

http://i.imgur.com/gRDrupK.jpg

So the sun looking shapes need to be in pairs, along with the black/orange boxes. The boxes seemingly can be secluded but only if they both touch nothing else while the stars need to stay in shapes. Given the shape of this I have hit it from damn near ever angle since it's basically a mirrored block and don't see any way to keep the sun shapes together without splitting the boxes.

Bout to have gray hairs before I finish this game.
Kind of hint, kind of solution:
Try seclusion get the blacks but keeping the oranges together

balohna

I solved a puzzle and I'm not sure why I got the answer.

Early-ish spoilers:

4 hedge mazes, the first one has gates, the second one has grass, the third one... I sort of went by amount of dirt but it didn't really work. In desperation, I tried it anyway and it was right. What was the real reason? I think maybe trying to avoid shadows as much as possible?

gnexus

Anyone notice the Steam Achievement list and the PS4 trophy list are a lot different? The Steam list only has two trophies, one for
completing the game, and one for a "challenge"?
PS4's list has fourteen, including ones for
activating lasers at each section
. Nothing big, although it makes it a little trickier for PC players to learn the official names.

Anyway, just got home from work, and i'm 145 puzzles deep. I thought about those damn line puzzles all day today. Such a wonderful game. I'd LOVE to see some crazy speed runs of this at Summer Games Done Quick this year, or maybe AGDQ next year.

Gurrry

I got the game today (thanks to giantbomb), and its good stuff. Finished my first main puzzle by the dock and the connected area. Very cool stuff. I do get the weird motion sickness complaints though. My eyes feel strange after playing. Similar to what I experienced the first time I tried the 3ds.

Very weird. But awesome game nonetheless

Exuro

Anybody?

Also, can the tetris pieces share squares or not? Feel like i've had varying results.
Look at the platform you're on and then look for similarities in the puzzle that moves it. Tetris pieces can be combines to make a larger shape ie two 1x3 can be drawn as a 2x3, but they can't overlap.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I just did that one about 30 minutes ago. There's no trick. Just keep trying and you'll get it eventually.
I refuse to believe. I've stared at this thing for like 2 hours yesterday and today, drawn a shitload of diagrams. It makes no sense.

Robiin

Anybody?

You can go back,
just reverse the solution.
Regarding tetris pieces:
They can not share squares. But they can "connect" (as in no need to separate them by a line if they are next to eachother.

Gotta say, this is one of the most respectful and good-natured OT I've seen in a long time. Thanks for respecting spoilers everyone. I'm avoiding all hints but it's still fun to see people enjoying the game.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I solved a puzzle and I'm not sure why I got the answer.

Early-ish spoilers:

4 hedge mazes, the first one has gates, the second one has grass, the third one... I sort of went by amount of dirt but it didn't really work. In desperation, I tried it anyway and it was right. What was the real reason? I think maybe trying to avoid shadows as much as possible?

Listen to your footsteps on the third one

Exuro

Anybody?

Look at the platform you're on and then look for similarities in the puzzle that moves it. Tetris pieces can be combined to make a larger shape ie two 1x3 can be drawn as a 2x3, provided the larger shape covers the tetris tiles.

BearPawB

Banned
Reposting for the new page:

Ugh ok i am awful at
sound
based puzzles.

I cant even figure out the second bamboo forest one

Can some one give me a hint

I thought it was pitch or something, but i hear, high high mid low or something, but that doesnt seem to be right. I have no ear for sound at all.

to clarify i am on the second puzzle of the whole area. So it doesnt even sound complex, i just cant tell if i am hearing it wrong. or what

So like, can you leave the start of the
swamp
where the
tetris puzzles start
? I moved a platform and I cant seem to get back. These are by far my least favorite puzzles of the game too.

Subject16

C) None of the above.

I am drawing the 4th maze in the castle right now, and trying to figure out how do they connect.
Also i used my phone to take a pic earlier.

Mindlog

D) Sketchpad and a Notepad in the Steam Browser, coupled with the occasional screengrab.

Very effective!
The multi-monitor option. Should have thrown that in there. Sounds very convenient.
Witness makes a very compelling case for dual screen gaming.
I am drawing the 4th maze in the castle right now, and trying to figure out how do they connect.
Also i used my phone to take a pic earlier.
My full reply may spoil the solution so avoid until after you get it, but that place in particular made me realize how handy extra tools can be. (maze spoiler)
I went back down and took pictures of every solution (on the door) then ran back up the tower. I didn't turn on screenlock for the full cheat I just adjusted the orientation in my head.

Can someone just explain the tetris puzzles? I feel like the rules are constantly changing in them and I don't get a grasp of any of the mechanics. I've bumbled my way through a bunch of them, but I don't fully understand them.

I get that I have to
make the tetris shape and sometimes box them in so that there aren't any extra boxes within the shape.
But when they start throwing
tilted shapes and the blue hollow squares at me I'm totally lost. I've chanced my way through some of them but I still don't get what they mean.

I feel like I'm going to have to eventually either quit playing or start using a guide because these things are in the later puzzles in almost every section and my brain doesn't process them at all.

Lunar FC

Look at the platform you're on and then look for similarities in the puzzle that moves it. Tetris pieces can be combines to make a larger shape ie two 1x3 can be drawn as a 2x3, but they can't overlap.

You can go back,
just reverse the solution.
Regarding tetris pieces:
They can not share squares. But they can "connect" (as in no need to separate them by a line if they are next to eachother.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Brashnir

C) None of the above.

I've crossed the rubicon.

I've graduated from sketching stuff out to cutting out little cardboard tetrominos for the last handful of swamp puzzles.

Can someone just explain the tetris puzzles? I feel like the rules are constantly changing in them and I don't get a grasp of any of the mechanics. I've bumbled my way through a bunch of them, but I don't fully understand them.

I get that I have to
make the tetris shape and sometimes box them in so that there aren't any extra boxes within the shape.
tilted shapes and the blue hollow squares at me I'm totally lost. I've chanced my way through some of them but I still don't get what they mean.

I feel like I'm going to have to eventually either quit playing or start using a guide because these things are in the later puzzles in almost every section and my brain doesn't process them at all.

Tilted shapes
mean you can rotate the shape, but not mirror it.
Blue shapes
Mean you must REMOVE that shape from what you've put together

*Splinter

I get that I have to

I feel like I'm going to have to eventually either quit playing or using a guide because these things are in the later puzzles in almost every section and my brain doesn't process them at all.
Tilted means you can rotate the shape you have to draw. Hollow squares are "negative", you can use them to chop bits off other shapes or overlap them

BearPawB

Banned

I've graduated from sketching stuff out to cutting out little cardboard tetrominos for the last handful of swamp puzzles.

yeah, i have cut out squares out of sticky-notes, and sitck them to my screen and move them around until i get it

Reposting for the new page:

Ugh ok i am awful at
sound
based puzzles.

I cant even figure out the second bamboo forest one

Can some one give me a hint

I thought it was pitch or something, but i hear, high high mid low or something, but that doesnt seem to be right. I have no ear for sound at all.

to clarify i am on the second puzzle of the whole area. So it doesnt even sound complex, i just cant tell if i am hearing it wrong. or what

You have the right notes just in the wrong order.

I thought this game could only have 1 save slot

y1h2KpG.jpg

Mi goreng

Wwo this thread blew up over night. I'm stuck on the
red tetris panels
in the swamp area, i managed to clear the first one on the fence but then the second one just doesn't seem to be possible. any ideas?

Croc

Banned
I can't figure out the solution to the elevator part, even though I know what I'm supposed to do to solve it.

view as if I'm in the green room above, I think.

anyone have an answer?

Wwo this thread blew up over night. I'm stuck on the
red tetris panels
in the swamp area, i managed to clear the first one on the fence but then the second one just doesn't seem to be possible. any ideas?

is that the one with 2 L shapes on the left and the vertical long one on the right?

Tilted shapes
mean you can rotate the shape, but not mirror it.
Blue shapes
Mean you must REMOVE that shape from what you've put together

Tilted means you can rotate the shape you have to draw. Hollow squares are "negative", you can use them to chop bits off other shapes or overlap them
Thanks, I'll give these a try when I start playing again. I kind of understood the blue shapes, but I still don't think I'm applying that knowledge very well.

I'm going to go ahead and say that officially the Tetris swap is not taught well since just about 75% of each page in this thread now is people banging their heads against the beginning section.

I'm just about done with it and kind of flew through it once I figured out a rule that I still feel like was never taught well or at all.

Top Bottom