• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Makai

Holy shit!

217 puzzles in. I don't think
I'm alone on this island.

https://media.giphy.com/media/l0NwtF2A2fXiyiwAU/giphy.gif

This motherfucker is watching me!

latest

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
#1 - Had an awesome experience with shutting off the game, coming back, and getting the solution I was stuck on in one attempt. Works like magic!

This is what I've been imploring people to do, but it doesn't seem like anyone is listening. I've gotten so many puzzles easily by just walking away and taking a break. Come back, and the solution is right there. I feel like gamers today are just too impatient for that, even when no single puzzle is needed to progress.

Bowlie

Banned
I'm afraid to look here since many are probably way ahead than me, but could someone answer my two questions with "yes" or "no"? Is not puzzle-related; even if they take me hours, I want to do it by myself.

I kinda understood what the designs on the small black pillar near the wooden house by the water mean. They are all line puzzles you solve in the environment, right?

And apparently each column represents a different area on the island. Is that correct?

But when I solved the puzzle on the broken yellow metal near the beginning, the sparkles flew to another place. Does that mean there are other pillars?

Thanks.

AgeEighty

This is what I've been imploring people to do, but it doesn't seem like anyone is listening. I've gotten so many puzzles easily by just walking away and taking a break. Come back, and the solution is right there. I feel like gamers today are just too impatient for that, even when no single puzzle is needed to progress.

It's not impatience so much as the desire not to quit combined with the sense that the solution could come to you at any moment.

Mik2121

I have been playing some more this morning, and I absolutely love this game. I'm at 152 +28 puzzles. The + puzzles are making me search for possible puzzles in real life, heh :p

Lunar FC

So I am at the part where they teach you the tetris puzzles and went on that
moving platform
, how the hell do I go back? I can't get any of these puzzles over here.

zashga

Warning: I'm not sure how significant these spoilers are. Potentially ruinous.

Beautiful game. I stumbled into the (a?) twist (
using perspective to create line puzzles out of environmental objects
) almost immediately because I noticed that the game wouldn't let me turn around in the opening "tube" and I took another look at it when I got out. Ten minutes later, I'm
listening to the credits in the extra-dimensional loft and watching the weird FMV "ending"
. Funny way to start my time with the game. Makes me wonder what other weird stuff is hidden around the margins.

Now I'm playing through more of the actual game, and it's really good. The puzzles haven't ramped up too hard yet, but it's so open-ended and I've only seen a small part so far. Looking forward to seeing more mechanics since each area I've been to has had its own twist to contend with.

SilentRob

Sooo...this is a first. Don't really want to pile another "Help me with this puzzle!"-post onto this thread but im kind of at a loss. Like, seriously. Completely.

It's one of the tutorial puzzles in the Swamp. I didn't have too many problems with these so far but there is one block that just stumps me.

Here is the puzzle, including my non-working solution:

http://i.imgur.com/T9Xxyp7.jpg?1

I was so sure this would work! Here is the reason why - i coloured in the corresponding shapes with my incredible Paint skills:

http://i.imgur.com/jV1tcO8.jpg

My guess is that I'm misinterpreting on how I should incorporate the blue shape? But...I don't see the alternative. I'm stumped. Any chance someone could help me out without outright spoiling the puzzle?

BraXzy

I just finished my first beam thing. In one of the very early areas. The deserty bit with red trees. And
transparent
panels.

It blew my mind when it clicked that I needed to
use the background imagery to complete them. First mind blow of the game.

*Splinter

I'm afraid to look here since many are probably way ahead than me, but could someone answer my two questions with "yes" or "no"? Is not puzzle-related; even if they take me hours, I want to do it by myself.

I kinda understood what the designs on the small black pillar near the wooden house by the water mean. They are all line puzzles you solve in the environment, right?

And apparently each column represents a different area on the island. Is that correct?

But when I solved the puzzle on the broken yellow metal near the beginning, the sparkles flew to another place. Does that mean there are other pillars?

Thanks.
Yes

Mm pretty much

Yes

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Sooo...this is a first. Don't really want to pile another "Help me with this puzzle!"-Spoilertag ontt this thread but im kind of at a loss. Like, seriously. Completely.

It's one of the tutorial puzzles in the Swamp. I didn't have too many problems with these so far but there is one block that just stumps me.

I was so sure this would work! Here is the reason why - i coloured in the corresponding shapes with my incredible Paint skills:

My guess is that I'm misinterpreting on how I should incorporate the blue shape? But...I don't see the alternative. I'm stumped. Any chance someone could help me out without outright spoiling the puzzle?
The two two-piece blocks are two spaces away from each other, not one.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
It's not impatience so much as the desire not to quit combined with the sense that the solution could come to you at any moment.

Well, you don't have to close the game if you don't want to (although I do recommend that, too). Different puzzles work different parts of your brain. It's "refreshing" to go do some Quarry puzzles after messing around in the Swamp or the Monastery.

I just think people don't realize that this game can fatigue your brain in the same way running can fatigue your body. I found that after around ~2 hours I started solving even simple-ish puzzles more and more slowly. I'd get them eventually, but I was missing more and more obvious stuff. But then if I take a break and come back. I zip through things pretty quickly again.

My brain was getting tired.

joms5

I am trying to stay away from this thread for fear of spoilers or hints but i am curious as to how progress is for people. For those of you who have finished the game, how many puzzles did you complete?

I want to make sure i don't reach the end and get locked out before completing everything, or most stuff.

Currently I am at 223 puzzles completed and 35+. No guides or hints used. I am ready to shoot myself over the tetris pieces though. Still refuse hints or solutions though. Anyone else being stubborn like me?

Anyone else want to share?

*Splinter

Sooo...this is a first. Don't really want to pile another "Help me with this puzzle!"-post onto this thread but im kind of at a loss. Like, seriously. Completely.

http://i.imgur.com/T9Xxyp7.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/jV1tcO8.jpg

The two sets of two blocks are further apart than you've drawn them

i'm at the quarry and i think i'm stuck, not stuck on a puzzle, i'm literally stuck and can't get out.

anyone want to help me?

it's
where the ship is, i'm up on the right side if you look at the sea and i moved the stairs to the second location but there's something blocking me from going there and now i can't go down.

*Splinter

I am trying to stay away from this thread for fear of spoilers or hints but i am curious as to how progress is for people. For those of you who have finished the game, how many puzzles did you complete?

I want to make sure i don't reach the end and get locked out before completing everything, or most stuff.

Currently I am at 223 puzzles completed and 35+. No guides or hints used. I am ready to shoot myself over the tetris pieces though. Still refuse hints or solutions though. Anyone else being stubborn like me?

Anyone else want to share?
I finished at 402+39. It does put you into a new game after the(obvious) end point but you can just load up the most recent auto save to continue anything you missed

*Splinter

i'm at the quarry and i think i'm stuck, not stuck on a puzzle, i'm literally stuck and can't get out.

anyone want to help me?

it's
where the ship is, i'm up on the right side if you look at the sea and i moved the stairs to the second location but there's something blocking me from going there and now i can't go down.
Lol I did that :D
Use that control panel again, you should be able to move them back

justjim89

Each one has a different trick

first: no trick, second: don't walk on the grass, third: footstep sounds, fourth: spot the difference

What do you mean spot the difference? I no longer feel bad about brute forcing it, no way I would've picked up on those tricks. Yet another part of the game that whiffed for me, I suppose.

I am not getting the review hype so far. It's a very pretty finger painting puzzle game with seemingly no narrative?. Maybe I need to dump more than 3 hours into it. It's not bad, but I bought into the hype too much I guess.

I'm in the exact same boat as you. On my morning run I listened to the Bombcast basically fellate it for 45 minutes, but I don't get what's so cool. It's a nice-looking game with decent atmosphere and some of the puzzles are neat, but who cares? I feel like I wouldn't say this game is worth $20, let alone $40.

Afrodium

Banned
So far this game feels kinda... easy? I've gotten three lasers already, and IIRC you can beat the game with seven. once I figure out the concept for each set of puzzles it's usually pretty simple to knock out all the others in the biome. Does it ramp up significantly soon?

Biomes I've completed:

Symmetry Island
Desert Ruins
Orange Forest

That said, I've been mainly walking away from puzzles I don't 'get' so that could be why I haven't been truly stumped yet. That hedge maze is the main thing that's really stumping me.

Maybe I'm missing it, but where is the puzzle to lower the stairs in the quarry? I can see the catwalk above, I can do the puzzles from a distance I guess, but I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to.

Is the Desert
laser supposed to be shooting off into the ocean?

Short answer, no.
There is a mirror in the town area on top of a building. You can rotate it to point the laser at the mountaintop.

So I couldn't put this down tonight. 166 puzzles in, but about save files
does anyone know what the +number means? I'm at +9 :S

And hate to pile on with a puzzle question but I am seriously stumped in the bamboo forest
Did all the sound panels, then got the tutorial panels for sound + red blobs. Not got the last panel yet, but it will come to me at some point. My real question is about the door there that leads underground (near the monastry garden back door, which I also havent figured out how to open), had a diamond grid with a black stone, a white stone, and a black blob on the track. I have been trying to line it up with the mess of trees on the ridge above, but can't for the life of me figure out the correct tree to use. A few seem to fit but none of the paths work. Tearing my hair out! Has anyone solved this who can give me a hint (preferably not the solution if possible.... Unless I'm super close to it) Thanks!

Does anyone think that the puzzles are truly unique?

For example, I could make a puzzle following the rules of the game by first drawing the solution on a 5x5 grid, just a random, crazy, non-overlapping line. Then add in colors/shapes/whatever the game allows, making sure its "legal" and solvable. The more stuff, the bigger the board, the crazier the solution line, the harder my puzzle is.

Viola, I am now Professor Layton.

So it's not necessarily the puzzles that are great, rather the puzzle mechanics. I expect to alot of fan-made inspired puzzles in the near future.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
328 +23;
areas cleared

I still can't figure out how this is even remotely possible to complete: http://i.imgur.com/r0zkmmf.jpg (village)

And I have zero clue what the hell is going on in the
desert

*Splinter

Short answer, no.
There is a mirror in the town area on top of a building. You can rotate it to point the laser at the mountaintop.

So I couldn't put this down tonight. 166 puzzles in, but about save files
does anyone know what the +number means? I'm at +9 :S

And hate to pile on with a puzzle question but I am seriously stumped in the bamboo forest
Did all the sound panels, then got the tutorial panels for sound + red blobs. Not got the last panel yet, but it will come to me at some point. My real question is about the door there that leads underground (near the monastry garden back door, which I also havent figured out how to open), had a diamond grid with a black stone, a white stone, and a black blob on the track. I have been trying to line it up with the mess of trees on the ridge above, but can't for the life of me figure out the correct tree to use. A few seem to fit but none of the paths work. Tearing my hair out! Has anyone solved this who can give me a hint (preferably not the solution if possible.... Unless I'm super close to it) Thanks!
Sounds like you are close to it, not really any hint I could give from that point

Exuro

328 +23;
areas cleared

I still can't figure out how this is even remotely possible to complete: http://i.imgur.com/r0zkmmf.jpg (village)

desert
I'm stuck on the exact same puzzle. Tried a bunch of combinations but I still can't hit every intersection. Really frustrating.

Now I'm at the top of the mountain
and I can only figure out how to get through 2 of the 3 exits. These statues are killing me.

Mindlog

We need a survey. How many people are:
A) Using paper to sketch stuff.
B) Using their cell phone to take pics.
C) None of the above.

I've got a pretty good guide going from liberal use of B.
328 +23;
areas cleared

desert
I got that one. Took some time.
The colors on the other hand... I gave up and wandered off.

JTripper

200 + 7. Stuck at the
golden tree gate puzzle, the broken branch puzzle, the curved tetris pieces in the swamp, and the white gear ones in the quarry.

*Splinter

We need a survey. How many people are using paper are:
C) None of the above.

C, although it was irritating in places. I think the only puzzle I drew was in the keep
maze 4, looking for a solution wayyy more complicated than it turned out to be

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
C) None of the above.

A + B, except that no need for a cellphone when you can just use the Share button on the PS4 and take screengrabs then just double tap the PS button to jump to Capture Gallery.

Exuro

C) None of the above.

I've cut up graph paper for some of the tetris puzzles, white boarded most others

Top Bottom