• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

What was the verdict on The Witness' use of VR? I was hoping to hold out and get the PC version and play it with that within a year or so, money willing, but if it doesn't really add anything I might just get it on the PS4.

*Splinter

Can you guys give me a hint on this one? I'm in the
treehouse
section.

Panel:

Explanation for why I'm stumped:
I don't get why the solution I have is incorrect. I have the black and white squares separate and the stars are grouped into pairs, so idk what I have to do. The stars paired up with the white squares are correct, the other two are not.
You have 4 black objects in the top right box

Go to the puzzle where you're standing on the yellow bridge.

What exactly do I do after that. Its just the puzzle, resolving it doesnt do anything.

Woodchipper

218 panels solved (+23) and 4 lasers activated. Hint for the shadow panels:
It's the first set of panels that has not really made me feel smart, but very observant.
THESE FUCKING (jungle area)
BIRD SOUND
PUZZLES ARE KILLING ME
I feel ya, the second last one does not make the least sense to me.

I see... well my game certainly doesn't look like that. I guess I can't solve this area?
Try moving your brightness settings,
but that would be crazy if it worked. If you use the nvidia control panel or anything like that, make sure it's not overriding application settings. I'm playing on the PS4 so I can't test the issue myself.

Kemal86

Tetris pieces have all but ended my playthrough, I just can't seem to wrap my brain around them and they're showing up everywhere. Finished the tutorial for em, and have been making steady progress in the treetops but everywhere else is gated by these goddamn tetrominos.

Yeah. I feel the tutorial for Tetris is really poor. Super generic spoilers for the Tetris tutorials:
You can finish the two rows of green tutorial panels (and probably the majority of the following red panels) and totally miss several of the important rules. Like, the tutorials are trying to teach you Skill C, but you can also solve using Skill A and B by happy accident, so you never even know it was trying to teach you Skill C.

Croc

Banned
so, I'm in the
swamp
and I just
drained some water to go down some stairs.

I solved the first 3 puzzles but I can't figure out the 4th one. Any tips?

puzzle

Even though I solved the first three easily I feel like I don't totally understand the rules for these.

Look at the puzzle and then look around you. The solution you're looking for is the opposite state that it's in now.
[/QUOTE]

Ahhh thank you. God damn I hated that area

G-Bus

Banned
Yes! Just beat the monastery, or red tree temple area. That last puzzle through me for a friggin loop.

I beat it but I still haven't done all the environment ones in there. Got one on a whim but the other two are driving me nuts. Think I'll come back here seeing as the laser is going.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
so, I'm in the
swamp
and I just

puzzle

Even though I solved the first three easily I feel like I don't totally understand the rules for these.

Blue square removes one yellow square. Other than that all I could do is tell you the answer.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
No, man.

Please, no.

Just got a +1. This is terrible. I'm gonna be looking of this kind of crap all over the world now. The game doesn't even mark these things as done!
Actually, the game does mark them, although not super overtly.

a)
If you end up in position and reselect the starting marker on a line you've already solved, the whole line will highlight with glitter.
b)
Something else in the environment will mark them, but I won't share, because while fairly unimportant it was cool when I discovered it happening. You'll stumble upon it.

so, I'm in the
swamp
and I just

puzzle

Do you feel pretty confident with the rules of the
blue icon
? It should be one of the easiest in that area. xxracerxx above explains it. Anything more than making sure you understand the rules would flat out spoil it,

Ahhh thank you. God damn I hated that area
No problem. I hate to be vague but I don't like spoiling!

Had a breakthrough on the tetris puzzles.

I'm still very early.
Only have one laser up. I was searching around, and came across a couple of panels (in different locations), that looked rather simple besides the fact that they had tetris blocks on them. I've been spending a bit of time trying to figure them out but to no avail. I decided to just leave them be and come back to them later.

Eventually I came across a swamp area that has panels with one block in the middle and came to realize that they were teaching me how to do the puzzles I was stuck on earlier starting from the basics. That was pretty cool. Still sort of confused though. Looking back at one of the puzzles I was stuck on, I'm pretty sure attempting the method that the swamp panels are teaching me, but they didn't work. Well we'll see when I get back to them eh ;)

thank you based exploration

jtm33

Neo Member
Try moving your brightness settings,
but that would be crazy if it worked. If you use the nvidia control panel or anything like that, make sure it's not overriding application settings. I'm playing on the PS4 so I can't test the issue myself.

Well... I just tried the game on low settings. It crashed in 10 seconds. Restarted and tried low settings again and got.... this- http://imgur.com/a/YXJ2K

I just realised that the shadows behave really strangely and move when I move the mouse.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
....oh goddamnit that would be the one puzzle
i decide to finish listening to a podcast while I solve

HAHA

Well... I just tried the game on low settings. It crashed in 10 seconds. Restarted and tried low settings again and got.... this- http://imgur.com/a/YXJ2K

I just realised that the shadows behave really strangely and move when I move the mouse.

Yeah, your graphics are kind of messed up. The sand in the background should not look like that.

Did you all actually figure out these obtuse-ass mechanics without help? How? The game doesn't give you any information for practically anything it does. I spoiled myself on the tetris pieces yesterday kinda accidentally, am finally up to the tutorial section about them today and I still don't fully understand it. I've already long realized this just isn't a game for me, but I just don't understand how people are getting it and taking to it so well. The game makes me feel stupid, and everyone loving the game almost universally makes me feel even more stupid.

I've long known how squares work since they were about the only thing Blow showed in previews, hexagons I understood what they meant as soon as I saw them, triangles on secret panels I worked out quickly via some experimentation, the
glare
on panels in the desert is one of two things I looked for a hint on, The shadow puzzles were one of the easiest for me and I got them without difficulty (other than having an oddly hard time finding the second set of panels...), tetris puzzles haunted me for a while but I did work out the basic concept (
draw the shape
) on my own albeit I did look up hints on a few technicalities of it (I wish I hadn't, one of my regrets), the upside down Y I understood immediately once I tried the first puzzle with it though it blew my mind, I understood the puzzles at the tree temple place pretty much immediately (I think one of them was shown in a trailer though so I think I had an idea on how they worked in my mind already), and lastly I picked up the intricacies of stars fast and was amused by how many rules kept being thrown at you for them (the only symbol I wrote a paragraph for on its rules in my notes)

So, for the most part, yes. A few things I went and spoiled myself on (oops!), but likely I would have worked them out before long (I didn't realize the tetris shapes were used in the
swamp
when I ran into what I thought was their tutorial in the village!)

Yeah, that's your issue then. What kind of card do you have? I'd recommend doing a clean uninstall and reinstall of the drivers.

Holy shit!

217 puzzles in. I don't think
I'm alone on this island.

https://media.giphy.com/media/l0NwtF2A2fXiyiwAU/giphy.gif

This motherfucker is watching me!

latest

It's the buoy for the dock. It would have been cool if it was a person.

Sooo...this is a first. Don't really want to pile another "Help me with this puzzle!"-post onto this thread but im kind of at a loss. Like, seriously. Completely.

It's one of the tutorial puzzles in the Swamp. I didn't have too many problems with these so far but there is one block that just stumps me.

Here is the puzzle, including my non-working solution:

http://i.imgur.com/T9Xxyp7.jpg?1

I was so sure this would work! Here is the reason why - i coloured in the corresponding shapes with my incredible Paint skills:

http://i.imgur.com/jV1tcO8.jpg

My guess is that I'm misinterpreting on how I should incorporate the blue shape? But...I don't see the alternative. I'm stumped. Any chance someone could help me out without outright spoiling the puzzle?

This is the exact one passing me off. I feel like I must not understand the rules behind this sequence of panels like I thought I did...

G-Bus

Banned
Just finished the Monastery. That last puzzle, man. I knew something was missing.

Noticed it right away but couldn't understand how to include it. Got it after nearly giving up.

I still can't get the
yellow squash and leaf
puzzles. I mean, I got the first one but the other two... I gave up and went back to the desert.

Pretty stuck at one in the forest.
It appears to draw off the left outside of the grid, I can't seem to find any angles that suddenly make sense of it either so I've got no clue at the moment.
Any hints?

Top Bottom