• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Dominator

No it doesn't, his right half is fine.
I did this earlier today, I think a better question is, what does clearing this puzzle actually do?

Anyone figure it out?

Is it
just a second way to get the laser out? I did the maze ones first and got the laser, then did the walking panels.

GavinGT

Banned
Please...please give me hints. This one has me tearing my hair out, lmao.
Spoilers from The Keep.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CZw8rIgWQAQmciu.jpg:large

The key is in
combining the tetraminos on the top-left and bottom-left puzzles. Leave the top-left "r" piece where it is, but make use of the fact that you can share space with the other three. Don't just follow your original solutions. Also, you may have used too much space on your bottom-right portion. As far as what it does, at first glance it appears to be nothing.

I'm towards the end I think.
The
broken screen, flashing colored puzzles
are killing my brain. Any advice from anyone who had made it that far?

zsynqx

I did this earlier today, I think a better question is, what does clearing this puzzle actually do?

Anyone figure it out?

Is it
just a second way to get the laser out? I didn't the maze ones first and got the laser, then did the walking panels.

Yes.
Still haven't done the maze but got laser from panels

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm sure I'll hit a roadblock soon enough, but man I am flying through the treehouse area. The mechanic here meshes with me in a way I can seem to do super quickly for whatever reason.

It is time for the Witness rollercoaster to make me feel an idiot once again.

Edit: sent you pm with my solution so not to spoil

Maybe there is more than one way to do it

Yeah, there's more than one. Sent you an image with how I solved it (which the guy is very close to)

Anyone figure it out?

Is it
just a second way to get the laser out? I did the maze ones first and got the laser, then did the walking panels.

Adds one to your solved count :p

V-Faction

#1 - Had an awesome experience with shutting off the game, coming back, and getting the solution I was stuck on in one attempt. Works like magic!

#2 - On PS4, I wish turning sensitivity could be adjusted. It's contributing to my sickness (including the very bright colors).

Finished in 23-25 hours with all 11 areas. 435 panels and +42 and I can't wait to delve back in. Really want to get a group together to uncover the remaining mysteries because I've seen about 6 to 7 places (as well as know I'm missing some things) that I have no idea how to get into. An amazing experience all the way through, reinventing itself in ways that I could never think about. The whole game could ACTUALLY have been about Sudoku puzzles and I bet it'd still be an incredible experience through and through. Loved how everything was introduced and I didn't have any problem with the learning process so overall there really are no big problems for me. Seriously, how is this even possible? Best puzzle game I ever played.

My ONLY negative complaint is that there are some later gimmick puzzles that are just annoying and not that creative. But coming off of ones I disliked came some of my favourite ones in the game putting me right back in the mood.

Tree shadows starting to get on my nerves. Argh!!
Edit:
And as I say that I realize the pole was bent. Damn it you had me there. Lol

Hmm, here's a few examples of things I visualize when I see specific symbols, spoilering as to not give away their meaning to those who don't know yet:

As for those puzzles you mentioned, have you done Symmetry yet? There's a specific set of panels there that should clue you in.

Thank you so much for the examples!I'm going to have to reread it all a few more times to truly visualize your examples but I am so eager to have that ah ha moment where it's challenging but it's a language I know.

And no, haven't done the Symmetry stuff yet so that's probably why. Jumping ahead of myself, I guess. Thanks again! <3

EDIT: Symmetry is the
desert area, right?
If so, I've done that. The puzzles I saw had
a grid of 5x7, blue dots, yellow dots, black dots, black and white squares and the invisible barriers.

MMaRsu

If you connect multiple pieces, you can move them around as long as they're connected, and as long as the connected zone still includes the symbols of those pieces.

Hmm that doesnt really seem to help me tho lol i keep runni g out of space

Anyone else wondering how there's over 600 puzzles out there? I'm at about 250 now and made a lot of progress in a number of the areas and I can't think where that many secrets could all be hiding. I'm guessing there's something well hidden to be found as yet.

Dad

Everyone complaining about the swamp puzzles and I thought they were some of the easier ones. Meanwhile, I'm so fucking bamboozled by these desert ruins that I don't even know how to start them. Maybe I should just go back and stare mindlessly at the final forest puzzle some more.

Bildocube

The final puzzle in the
sand temple blue room with the moving up and down water with the long rectangular panel
. Can anyone help me solve it? If I
stand directly across from it, I can see the middle exposed by the light, but both the left and the right thirds of the panel are not. Not sure where to stand to see the rest

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Everyone complaining about the swamp puzzles and I thought they were some of the easier ones. Meanwhile, I'm so fucking bamboozled by these desert ruins that I don't even know how to start them. Maybe I should just go back and stare mindlessly at the final forest puzzle some more.

in that area you just need to look at the panel from the right angle.
the sun and water reflections show you the pattern.

One of the aspects of this game that I'm really starting to respect is how clear it is that Blow held nothing back in regards to taking different mechanics and using every good idea he could think of. On one hand, it makes large sections of this game incredibly challenging to the point of frustration, but it also makes The Witness feel like one of the most "complete" games I have ever played. I can totally understand why this game took eight years to create.

I really think we're looking at a modern classic.

Dominator

Just got to swamp... Fearing the difficulty from what some here have said lol

I had to leave the tree houses, I just kept getting road blocked by a puzzle. Drives me nuts haha

GavinGT

Banned
The final puzzle in the
sand temple blue room with the moving up and down water with the long rectangular panel
. Can anyone help me solve it? If I
stand directly across from it, I can see the middle exposed by the light, but both the left and the right thirds of the panel are not. Not sure where to stand to see the rest

You just wiggle around near that spot you found.

BearPawB

Banned
Ugh ok i am awful at
sound
based puzzles.

I cant even figure out the second bamboo forest one

Can some one give me a hint

I thought it was pitch or something, but i hear, high high mid low or something, but that doesnt seem to be right. I have no ear for sound at all

justjim89

Any hints to the trick to the
hedge maze
puzzles? I've brute forced like 4 of them, but i don't know what the actual logic is behind it. Just following the
hedge maze
the puzzle is found in? That didn't seem to work.

GavinGT

Banned
Ugh ok i am awful at
sound
based puzzles.

I cant even figure out the second bamboo forest one

Can some one give me a hint

I thought it was pitch or something, but i hear, high high mid low or something, but that doesnt seem to be right. I have no ear for sound at all

You have to filter out the fake sounds that are just there to mess with you. Only one sound clip will make sense for a given puzzle.

Sai-kun

Banned
You are so very nearly there!
You just need to combine the long Tetris piece with the one below it and it should all become clear! I just spent like 40 mins trying to figure this one out...

The key is in
combining the tetraminos on the top-left and bottom-left puzzles. Leave the top-left "r" piece where it is, but make use of the fact that you can share space with the other three. Don't just follow your original solutions. Also, you may have used too much space on your bottom-right portion. As far as what it does, at first glance it appears to be nothing.

Dude, you almost have it.

Hint:
you have gone three blocks too far with your line at the very end

omfg, I did it. Thanks so much for your help, guys (and others that gave me pointers). I'm happy to be done with this section haha.

GavinGT

Banned
Any hints to the trick to the
hedge maze
puzzles? I've brute forced like 4 of them, but i don't know what the actual logic is behind it. Just following the
hedge maze
the puzzle is found in? That didn't seem to work.

Are you talking about the hedge mazes or the light-up floor mazes? There are only 4 of each.

Randdalf

I've completed the Island (? not sure what this biome is), Desert, Forest and Mangroves so far. I think that the Forest was by far the easiest, I breezed through it in about 20 mins. Mangroves is the hardest so far, because of a few headscratchers I got stuck on.

I also spent a while looking around the central Village part, but it seems as though most of those puzzles rely on having seen a lot of the puzzle archetypes.

I also entered the windmill
and put in the "password" from the bunker, to watch the video. I didn't know how to solve the puzzles in that section so that's as far as I got.

I think one of the most helpful things I found was
the boat, which has a map of all the locations along with a symbol for their archetype. This is very nice for targeting specific types of puzzle you want to learn how to solve.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I am not getting the review hype so far. It's a very pretty finger painting puzzle game with seemingly no narrative?. Maybe I need to dump more than 3 hours into it. It's not bad, but I bought into the hype too much I guess.

GavinGT

Banned
The hedge mazes when you first get in the castle. I've brute forced all of them now, but I don't understand what the trick was supposed to be.

Each one has a different trick

first: no trick, second: don't walk on the grass, third: footstep sounds, fourth: spot the difference

BearPawB

Banned
The hedge mazes when you first get in the castle. I've brute forced all of them now, but I don't understand what the trick was supposed to be.

they were all different 1st: your path through the maze. 2 you had to look at what areas were not blocked by leaves on the ground 3. listen to your speakers 4. the map and reality don't match

zsynqx

Any hints to be given on this puzzle in the swamp?

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...9_10153884639044410_2285729693388826159_o.jpg

There are enough blue subtraction blocks to eliminate both yellow tetrominoes, but the breaks force you to leave some kind of shape on the board. But the yellow icons are too far away to use them that way either singly or joined.

OMG that puzzle took me like a day to solve
. Let me say don't get fixated on keeping the blue/yellow 3 together.

Top Bottom