• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
File%20Jan%2027%2C%208%2019%2031%20PM.jpeg

Ok guys, not sure if I want a solution, but just a nudge that will get me thinking correctly. I cannot figure out how to combine these pieces AND keep those markers in the bounds.

Tetris Tips:
Graph paper, graph paper, graph paper. Cut out the shapes to move around.
You cannot rotate them.
Unless something tells you you can.
You can move them around as much as your want as long as the icons are covered
You do not have to cover an icon with its own shape. An L block can cover a SQUARE ect. (this part is taught poorly and hard to explain)

The last one is what I think kills progression until you understand.

Holy shit!

217 puzzles in. I don't think
I'm alone on this island.

https://media.giphy.com/media/l0NwtF2A2fXiyiwAU/giphy.gif

This motherfucker is watching me!

latest
Holy shit, is this real? If so, mind telling a bit more about how you saw it? How many and what beacons you have lit, time you've played, exactly where you were, how many secrets you've found (of both sort that we know of), have you seen the ending (from your puzzle count guess not?), etc. If true... I don't know what to make of it.

This fucking game, man.

We need a survey. How many people are:
A) Using paper to sketch stuff.
B) Using their cell phone to take pics.
C) None of the above.

I've taken screenshots of a few things, namely the
hex puzzle solutions
from vaults and the castle
pressure plate panels

I then went and drew on those second set of screeenshots since
the panel doesn't have the information on where you can actually walk
. I also drew out in GIMP some of the endgame puzzles, but won't say what they are.

Overall though, most puzzles I do work out either visually in my head or (less commonly now) just messing around in the panel and trying different things.

I've gotten 157 puzzles done. So I feel pretty decent about that, I think that's close to double what I started with this afternoon. But I'm stuck again. I just don't understand the rules for the
Tetris
puzzles and I'm stuck in the
treehouses

jett

D-Member
No, man.

Please, no.

Just got a +1. This is terrible. I'm gonna be looking of this kind of crap all over the world now. The game doesn't even mark these things as done!

zsynqx

. Edit, old post

243 panels solved, starting to hit walls.

Completed
Desert, Keep, Swamp, Symmetry one and Bunker

No, man.

Please, no.

Just got a +1. This is terrible. I'm gonna be looking of this kind of crap all over the world now. The game doesn't even mark these things as done!
It kind of does.
Follow the flowers.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
No, man.

Please, no.

The game
does keep track of them on the black pillars. Also when you hover the cursor over ones you have done it will glow white, just make sure there are not multiple solutions!

115 +15
Finished
desert and trees
. Never saw this asked before but because I'm impatient any suggestions on where to head to next? Didn't find the last two areas super tough but tinkered with Tetris and I'm lost even on the tutorial. I'd like to save that for later.

No, man.

Please, no.

If you hover your mouse over a hidden line's start point it'll sparkle and show you the path you've solved.

Also, look around in the area for a particular object that tends to stand out. It may help if next time you solve one you watch the sparkles fly off too.

Anyone notice the Steam Achievement list and the PS4 trophy list are a lot different? The Steam list only has two trophies, one for
completing the game, and one for a "challenge"?
PS4's list has fourteen, including ones for
activating lasers at each section
. Nothing big, although it makes it a little trickier for PC players to learn the official names

Yep, Blow mentioned that on the stream. Basically they had to include 14 trophies in the PS4 release because of certain requirements.

jtm33

Neo Member
Stuck on
sandy temple
area. I cannot figure out the logic in the first puzzle. I have asked on two other forums already and have been told that the logic has something to do with
sunlight, angles and reflections
but I cannot find any such clues. There is only one panel lit in the area.

http://imgur.com/a/FIoIo

A strong push in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

iMax

Just finished the desert section.
What was the secret fire panel all about? It made a big bang but couldn't work out what it did exactly.

xxracerxx

Stuck on
sandy temple
area. I cannot figure out the logic in the first puzzle. I have asked on two other forums already and have been told that the logic has something to do with

Keep your eyes on that one lit up panel as you move around the environment.

Just finished the desert section.
What was the secret fire panel all about? It made a big bang but couldn't work out what it did exactly.
Welcome to the +# in your save.

zsynqx

Stuck on
sandy temple

Keep moving around until you see the glare of the sun on the panel

sinxtanx

well I got AN ending

final few puzzles...required some THOUGHT

will jump back in in a couple of days for sure to start working on the rest but now my brain needs some time off

Stuck on
sandy temple

If the suns reflection bothers you, wear sunglasses.

iMax

Stuck on
sandy temple

See if you can catch the sun's reflection on the panel. Notice anything?

jiggles

Banned
Stuck on
sandy temple

Move around some more and it should become GLARINGLY obvious.

Mindlog

Stuck on
sandy temple

The clues they gave you are the clues you need. They gave you
a giant glaring clue.

jtm33

Neo Member
Keep your eyes on that one lit up panel as you move around the environment.

Yes I have done that for like 10 minutes now looking for something, because I have been told the same. It looks the same from every angle.

I have tried the high area up the steps too. It looks exactly the same from every angle, except when I am far away it is a little bit dimmer.

Hi, sorry if this is a repeat, I'm going to ask my question, hope for a reply and then bug out of here.

Each line is a separate spoiler tag and each gets more specific as to my problem, to avoid spoiling someone else.

Stuck on:
jungle area with camo patterns
what seems to be the last puzzle
bird chirp and a flute or something. I think it's the flute pattern but it goes quick

Any hint that isn't just the answer?
THANKS

C) None of the above.

I've got a pretty good guide going from liberal use of B.

I got that one. Took some time.
The colors on the other hand... I gave up and wandered off.
I take pictures with my cell and also take screen caps then use Photoshop to test line possibilities.

Yes I have done that for like 10 minutes now looking for something, because I have been told the same. It looks the same from every angle.

I have tried the high area up the steps too. It looks exactly the same from every angle, except when I am far away it is a little bit dimmer.
Are you playing on the PC? Maybe the graphics settings are fucked?

iMax

C) None of the above.

I've got a pretty good guide going from liberal use of B.

Doodle on my phone, then manipulate the image if/as required.

justjim89

Did you all actually figure out these obtuse-ass mechanics without help? How? The game doesn't give you any information for practically anything it does. I spoiled myself on the tetris pieces yesterday kinda accidentally, am finally up to the tutorial section about them today and I still don't fully understand it. I've already long realized this just isn't a game for me, but I just don't understand how people are getting it and taking to it so well. The game makes me feel stupid, and everyone loving the game almost universally makes me feel even more stupid.

Yes PC. Maybe? So I should be able to see definite
reflections/shadows off the panel
?

Do the pictures in this link look wrong? http://imgur.com/a/FIoIo
They look a little dark. Do you have the settings all the way up?
It's almost like reflections are disabled.

Can you not leave the
swamp
? Seriously been stuck here for over an hour now, just wanna try other puzzles but cant find anyway out
Go to the puzzle where you're standing on the yellow bridge.

Did you all actually figure out these obtuse-ass mechanics without help? How? The game doesn't give you any information for practically anything it does. I spoiled myself on the tetris pieces yesterday kinda accidentally, am finally up to the tutorial section about them today and I still don't fully understand it. I've already long realized this just isn't a game for me, but I just don't understand how people are getting it and taking to it so well. The game makes me feel stupid, and everyone loving the game almost universally makes me feel even more stupid.
So far as long as you're at the correct location that is supposed to teach you a mechanic, you should be good. The Tetris stuff is the only thing so far that is kind of dumb at teaching you the main thing you need to know.

chris121580

Been playing most of the day. Just finished the desert area. Incredibly cool concept there and felt damn proud to figure it all out without tips. This game feels very rewarding in that aspect

jiggles

Banned
The colour puzzles in the area with the
greenhouses and elevator
are a bit weak. It just seems to keep shifting the rules about with no consistency.

jtm33

Neo Member
They look a little dark. Do you have the settings all the way up?
It's almost like reflections are disabled.

Go to the puzzle where you're standing on the yellow bridge.

My settings are on high. Reflections in the water definitely work.

dakini

Can you guys give me a hint on this one? I'm in the
treehouse
section.

Panel:

Explanation for why I'm stumped:
I don't get why the solution I have is incorrect. I have the black and white squares separate and the stars are grouped into pairs, so idk what I have to do. The stars paired up with the white squares are correct, the other two are not.

hughesta

Banned
Tetris pieces have all but ended my playthrough, I just can't seem to wrap my brain around them and they're showing up everywhere. Finished the tutorial for em, and have been making steady progress in the treetops but everywhere else is gated by these goddamn tetrominos.

xxracerxx

The game definitely tells you how to do things, to say otherwise is ridiculous. But to answer your first question, yes I have figured stuff out on my own in this game. If you are having a hard time figuring shit out, either you are in the wrong area for the tutorials or you need to actually keep doing the tutorials in different ways until you understand what works and what doesn't. Example:
For a lot of the initial tutorial panels in the swamp section (tetris) there are multiple solutions to each one, just blowing through them isn't smart.

Top Bottom