• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Man, I feel so stupid. I just got the first trophy on the PS4, but every place I've searched for afterwards has puzzles that I haven't been introduced to and have no idea how to solve. I know I'm making this harder than I should. Is there anyway someone can give me hint as where the hell I should go next? Love you all.

shem935

Banned
Pretty stuck at one in the forest.
It appears to draw off the left outside of the grid, I can't seem to find any angles that suddenly make sense of it either so I've got no clue at the moment.
Any hints?

If that's the one I am thinking of, make sure too look at the surroundings.
It might not be the shadows out of alignment.

Man, I feel so stupid. I just got the first trophy on the PS4, but every place I've searched for afterwards has puzzles that I haven't been introduced to and have no idea how to solve. I know I'm making this harder than I should. Is there anyway someone can give me hint as where the hell I should go next? Love you all.

If you did what I think you did first then you should head to a desert area next. That's where I went.

The blue bits in his image should be further apart

I just got it before reading your post, but the part I don't understand is I interpreted the new mechanics as
you can take pieces on one panel and use then to complete the pieces with holes. Then I thought it was perhaps vice versa. So I ended up with a bunch of 4x3 rectangles trying to fit everything together. I'm going to have to give this more thinking as to what it really means for the empty space between those two lines to be a requirement.

justjim89

Can someone just fully tell me how the tetris pieces work? I'm stuck on this one and I don't fucking get the rules. It feels like they're changing.

I've been stuck on this one for some time.
Does each tetris piece have to be outlined in the blocks? Does the yellow shape have to be within the outlined shape? How fully does it need to be outlined? Does a 4x4 square need to be surrounded on three sides? If two shapes are in blocks directly next to each other, do the shapes merge together?

I feel like every new section I get to, I hear "Oh that one is kinda lame, but the rest is great."
First with the reflection puzzles in the desert, then with the tree shadows puzzle, and now folks are saying "Well, the game doesn't really explain all the tetris pieces that are all over the fucking place."
Is every section or mechanic actually just a shitty section?

I understand tetris pieces!

It just took half an hour!

Can someone just fully tell me how the tetris pieces work? I'm stuck on this one and I don't fucking get the rules. It feels like they're changing.

Each outline you draw has to contain all the yellow shapes you looped inside it - no more, no less.
However, within your outline, all the yellow shapes can be arranged in any configuration. Each yellow shape just has to be inside somewhere - it doesn't need to be inside "itself."
Only your line and the edges of the grid count towards the outline.

theRizzle

Can anyone tell me what the download size on Steam is? I'm severely bandwidth limited so I want to know if I should bother buying it now or waiting 5 months until I can download it?

Related: Is there a site that tracks download sizes of Steam games? I was hoping it was on SteamSpy but alas.

Makai

Holy shit, is this real? If so, mind telling a bit more about how you saw it? How many and what beacons you have lit, time you've played, exactly where you were, how many secrets you've found (of both sort that we know of), have you seen the ending (from your puzzle count guess not?), etc. If true... I don't know what to make of it.
It's just a buoy lol

Grexeno

Noticed it right away but couldn't understand how to include it. Got it after nearly giving up.

I still can't get the
yellow squash and leaf
puzzles. I mean, I got the first one but the other two... I gave up and went back to the desert.
I got those.

Assuming the first one you got is the one on the left,
the other two need you to complete the path.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

I feel like every new section I get to, I hear "Oh that one is kinda lame, but the rest is great."
First with the reflection puzzles in the desert, then with the tree shadows puzzle, and now folks are saying "Well, the game doesn't really explain all the tetris pieces that are all over the fucking place."

Sounds like you are hate playing this game.

jtm33

Neo Member
It looks like a 12mb patch that came out might have fixed it? I imagine it auto downloaded. If so maybe hit up this thread - http://steamcommunity.com/app/210970/discussions/0/458606877335307672/

Oh wow thanks for that, the frequent crashes and the shadow strangeness are exactly what I have been dealing with! Most problems with my card!

My computer has not been connected to the internet for about a day (visiting parents), I have been using my phone to post and upload photos. I'll check for an update then!

shem935

Banned
So I'm stuck on the last h
edge
puzzle. Had no problems with the others. Wondering if this one relies on subtle colors? I'm not great with those.

cyba89

I did not find any of these sections shitty.

Oh wow thanks for that, the frequent crashes and the shadow strangeness are exactly what I have been dealing with! Most problems with my card!

My computer has not been connected to the internet for about a day (visiting parents), I have been using my phone to post and upload photos. I'll check for an update then!
Whoa okay, then this will hopefully get you running! I had a lot of fun in the desert, so it bums me out that you probably spent a lot of time in an unsolvable state.

Does each tetris piece have to be outlined in the blocks? Does the yellow shape have to be within the outlined shape? How fully does it need to be outlined? Does a 4x4 square need to be surrounded on three sides? If two shapes are in blocks directly next to each other, do the shapes merge together?

Tetris Tips:
Graph paper, graph paper, graph paper. Cut out the shapes to move around.
You cannot rotate them.
Unless something tells you you can.
You can move them around as much as your want as long as the icons are covered
You do not have to cover an icon with its own shape. An L block can cover a SQUARE ect. (this part is taught poorly and hard to explain)

The last one is what I think kills progression until you understand.

For that particular puzzle,
they are tricking you. It's attempting to teach you the rules and in that case the solution stays the same.

So far I think the Tetris part is the only part that is consistently fucking people up. I can't think of a better way to teach it, so maybe it's the nature of the beast. When you do figure it out, they're quite fun.

xxracerxx

Pretty sure I do. But everyone keeps talking about how awesome it is, so I feel like I'm missing something. Plus I paid money for it and it's kinda the hot game of the week, so I wanna try and give it it's due.

Go back and redo all the tetris tutorial panels again (especially the early ones at each tutorial), and do them in different ways.

The building across from where you find the boat the first time.

Bad way to say
the Quarry, I found the boat for the first time in the Swamps

BlueMagic

Hint:
Leave the building and then walk back in. Slowly. Notice anything about your surroundings?

Oh I see now, thought it could've had something to do with
the combination of flowers that you can see on the rooftop and other places
but it was closer than I thought. Thanks!

Yes, it does tell you how they work. In the swamp, which I think you are now?
No, the squares cannot overlap. The shapes MUST be fully inside the area as divided by the lines, with no less or extra squares.

What that panel specifically is trying to tell you is that
the shape doesn't need to actually touch the symbol so long as the symbol is inside the area with the shape.

Gsnap

Something is missing on that puzzle.
Maybe you can find it.

Yeah I found it not too long ago, but I've been having trouble putting it together because the other
branches shooting of in different directions is screwing me up.
I'll get it eventually though.

If that's the one I am thinking of, make sure too look at the surroundings.
It might not be the shadows out of alignment.

If you did what I think you did first then you should head to a desert area next. That's where I went.

Oh god, really? So I'm just really stupid? Is there no tutorialization on the
hexagon
puzzles?

shem935

Banned
Go back and redo all the tetris tutorial panels again (especially the early ones at each tutorial), and do them in different ways.

Bad way to say
the Quarry, I found the boat for the first time in the Swamps

Oh dang. Thought that was a set place. Yeah then what you said.

BraXzy

This game is really amazing me. Incredible.

I've done
the symettry laser and I solved the tree area, I got into the Windmill.. But now I'm a bit overwhelmed and don't know where to go. There's just so much!

I keep coming across puzzles atm that I either know partly how to do, or not at all.

Mi goreng

Without this thread i don't think i'd have any hope lol. Did anyone solve the 3rd panel up top near the fence in the swamp section? The one that has
. .. and 4 up

What is all of this + stuff? Where do you get that number from on your save? I'm almost 250 puzzles in and I don't have anything like that on my save file yet.

xxracerxx

What is all of this + stuff? Where do you get that number from on your save? I'm almost 250 puzzles in and I don't have anything like that on my save file yet.

Ahhh...you will be in for a pleasant surprise when you find out. It is something you shouldn't spoil yourself on.

Around 23 hours so far, 334 +48, 8 sections done. Did some of the final area but left cause my brain hurt. Now I'm back on the treetops and have completed tons of puzzles there, there's probably three times as many puzzles there as any other area.

Two puzzle complaints: once in the Marsh and once in the Treetops, there's a puzzle where it seems impossible with what you are told. After I finally solved it, the very next puzzle is like a Fisher Price tutorial for what you just completed. As far as I'm concerned, these should be swapped.

One vague audio complaint: I'm not a big fan of the audio logs, but they're mostly fine. But the audio log on top of the mountain is at least ten minutes long and I was dying by the end it. The quote was interesting in itself but completely overwrought when your player would like to move on.

Ugh. Im not understanding

I got to this area that teaches you how to do puzzles with the tetris shapes

There's like 2 sets of panels here of like 5 or so puzzles

On set 1, you have 1 tetris shape

Then on set 2, you have 2 tetris shapes in a puzzle

But Im not understanding why one of them I did correctly is correct

It's the second one, with an L shape (consisting of 3 squares) and a single square

Oh god, really? So I'm just really stupid? Is there no tutorialization on the
hexagon
puzzles?

Do you mean the little black hexagons on lines? If so those are just outside the tutorial area. But if you mean the OTHER kind of hexagon puzzle, there's no real tutorial needed there. Just need to find the answer... (Or, alternatively, where to input the answer if you found one of them first)

jtm33

Neo Member
Jonathan Blow tweeted out that he was looking to borrow an r9 380 a few hours ago. If yesterday's patch doesn't completely solve your problems there could be something specific to your card that's wrong.

As it turns out I don't have yesterdays patch. On my way home to download it now.

Do you mean the little black hexagons on lines? If so those are just outside the tutorial area. But if you mean the OTHER kind of hexagon puzzle, there's no real tutorial needed there. Just need to find the answer... (Or, alternatively, where to input the answer if you found one of them first)

There's a red background on them, if that helps.

xxracerxx

Ugh. Im not understanding

I got to this area that teaches you how to do puzzles with the tetris shapes

There's like 2 sets of panels here of like 5 or so puzzles

On set 1, you have 1 tetris shape

Then on set 2, you have 2 tetris shapes in a puzzle

But Im not understanding why one of them I did correctly is correct

It's the second one, with an L shape (consisting of 3 squares) and a single square

Do all of 5 of set 1 before moving on to set 2.

I cant get past this puzzle if I dont know why Im right.

Also, the audio logs are forever ruined because it's Ellie. This literally is "you know ellie, we really are the last of us"

There's a red background on them, if that helps.

Ohh, the desert ones? Well, the first one you find really is the tutorial :p Just... Look around some, try looking at the screen from different angles. I'm sure the answer will come to you~

(Those ones are a bit hard to pick up on at first, I had fun with them in the end though)

Yup those are the ones I was thinking of then. Definitely took major reflecting on my part to figure it out.

I see what you did there

My big takeaway from this game is the pause screen. I have never played a game that perfectly replicates closing your eyes in first person. It's such a small detail but it's really cool.

Top Bottom