• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

The fact that I end up with no yellow blocks isn't the problem, it's that I can't go around the board without making any shapes since the sides of the board are blocked off.

I'm still not getting it even with these hints lol
I just figured it out.
Consider that the blue icons might not go with the obvious yellow ones.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
I'm in the tree tops and I'm having a little trouble with a puzzle involving Tetris prices. Is there some sort of special meaning behind the hollow blue pieces, in what way do they differ from the solid orange ones? Unless this is explained somewhere else that I'm unaware of.
Explained in
Marsh puzzles

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
The tetris pieces don't really do a good job on the tutorial. I haven't had a problem with anything else but you can stumble onto the answers of the tetris tutorial puzzles far too easily, which makes it difficult to understand exactly what the rules are.

Then they quickly jump you into multiple shapes and it's even more difficult to grasp because the tutorial puzzles can be solved so easily.

I think the key to understanding the tetris puzzles is to find the multiple solutions and the ways you fail in the tutorial.

I am in the minority but they have been a highlight for me so far.

BraXzy

I think the key to understanding the tetris puzzles is to find the multiple solutions and the ways you fail in the tutorial.

What area will I find the tutorial section for these? They confuse the hell out of me and I haven't found anything that seemed to teach it to me.

shem935

Banned
Spoilers for desert laser:
So when you redirect it you can point it at the mountain obviously but when you point it at the only black cloud in the sky it turns white. This mean anything or just a hidden detail? Yes or no would do fine. Would like to figure out what could be behind it.

Qblivion

umm so, "bird" thing:

I hear 5 chirps, but the board only has 4 sections. the third one is long. the other sound is some kind of animal that also is making tones but I only hear 3.

That's my point though, it's not a very good tutorial because it's very difficult to fail. Pretty much every other tutorial in the game has you starting off doing something you will probably do wrong the first time within the first couple panels. Whereas the first five panels of the
Swamp
as essentially impossible for you to get wrong. So you're solving things without understanding why they're right.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
I don't know why I do this. Why do I buy horror games when I don't like horror? Why do I buy puzzle games when I don't like puzzles? I just burn on them same day. I don't have enough patience for bashing my head against a wall.

Fake edit : oh hey look at that I just solved the first puzzle that gave me trouble a few hours ago. Onto the next one. Move along nothing to see here but passing frustration and the ever looming fact I'll have to watch the ending on YouTube one day.

Croc

Banned
The square needs 4 blue the angle needs 3
. However you need to add them up

I feel so dumb lol. I don't understand at all. Does anyone have a straight up solution?

I mean, I get what you're saying but I don't see how that ends up playing out on the actual board.

I feel so dumb lol. I don't understand at all. Does anyone have a straight up solution?

I mean, I get what you're saying but I don't see how that ends up playing out on the actual board.
If someone else doesn't get it to you by time I'm done walking the dog I'll try.
To be more clear you need to create the yellow square and then add in the blue angle and one dot and on the other side of the line create the yellow angle and group up the blue dot and 2 dots.

Edit:
ignore what I was saying about creating shapes, it doesn't matter because the blue icons destroy the rule.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Wrapped up
tree shadows
and
the keep
tonight, so that's five down. Still loving it. I have one question on a puzzle I just sort of guessed at though, with the
tree shadows

The last one before the gate opens that has you tracing shadows. There's the big loop thing with the broken branch, which I get was supposed to be a closed off path, but was it really just that you trace the path over the little bit where they almost overlap? There was still a gap there.

N30RYU

umm so, "bird" thing:

I hear 5 chirps, but the board only has 4 sections. the third one is long. the other sound is some kind of animal that also is making tones but I only hear 3.
I'm also stuck there
I guess we must make a movement backward to have 5 tones... like up. up. middle backward. Down. Up or something

Okkk. Thx skynidas for the info.

Kyolux

man...
spoiler tag
, the thread.

I get it, but I'm scared of reading anything. I'm going to assume a lot of things gets repeated in here?

BraXzy

If it's the one I'm thinking of
there should be something about the blades themselves that should help you out...

There's another difference on one of the blades other than the design of the lines.

Just did this one, it took a while. Not really spoiling but putting tags for people that dont want a tip.
Look at each blade physically, what is different about one of them that you can use to your advantage?

Thanks guys! I noticed that but didn't put two and two together, derp.

Now I'm struggling to get the line to move off the second blade wtf!

I'm near the area with the shipwreck, and there's a puzzle I found that I can't quite get to activate (I think it's a secret one)

right in front of the a chair on the edge if a cliff looking out over water (with the shipwreck to the right) there's a perspective puzzle that looks kinda like a wrench. I can get it to sparkle when I select it at the head of it but I can't get it to let me draw the line.

Do I need to find the exact pixel to stand on or am I just not in the right spot? (I'm standing pretty much right next to the chair, maybe a little in front and to the side of it)

justjim89

Do tetris pieces
need to be connected within the same shape, or if there's one shape in a corner can I isolate it from the rest without worrying about connecting?
Still no idea how I was supposed to figure this out on my own without a thousand bouts of trial and error.

Wow, this game is so much fun.

Started Yesterday with my 11 year old daughter. We played until 9pm, and solved 40 puzzles/panels. It was amazing how quick we picked up on stuff playing together with 2 minds.

Then I started a new game (it keeps your old save) so I could play one on my own without her. She didn't want me to play on our save lol. I breezed through the first 71 puzzles, then I found some new ones and I have no idea how to solve.

These puzzles were straight up grids, no dots, no connected squares, nothing in particular, but just moving straight to the finish line doesn't work.

These other puzzles confusing me had some squares that were connected. I solved the first one, but the second I couldn't figure out. They are on the top of the rock hill after you have to open like 3 gates to get up there. Funny thing is, I dont know what my methodology for solving the first puzzle was, I keep staring at it, looking around for clues. I just dont know what the "trick" is.

I am going to go back in tonight and back track some, see if I missed some building block style puzzles that teach me the "trick" for these. I love this game.

Wrapped up
tree shadows
and
the keep
tonight, so that's five down. Still loving it. I have one question on a puzzle I just sort of guessed at though, with the
tree shadows

The last one before the gate opens that has you tracing shadows. There's the big loop thing with the broken branch, which I get was supposed to be a closed off path, but was it really just that you trace the path over the little bit where they almost overlap? There was still a gap there.

Are you sure you finished the
tree shadows
? The puzzle is, you
open the left and right sides of the gate with two sets of puzzles. The left side, you have to trace the shadows. The right side, you have to follow the path outlined by the shadows. Essentially, stick to shadows for one set, find the path they're trying to show you for the other.

shiba5

Spoilers for desert laser:
So when you redirect it you can point it at the mountain obviously but when you point it at the only black cloud in the sky it turns white. This mean anything or just a hidden detail? Yes or no would do fine. Would like to figure out what could be behind it.

Yes

I think you're supposed to compare it to
all of the different colors down by the entrance and how they look in each window color. And from that figure out what the true colors of the ones in the elevator are. I got annoyed with having to go back and record everything down so I just eventually guessed it right lol.

Yeah..I was trying to do that but
the colors of the windows didn't correspond enough to the colors in the elevator to make it seem possible.
I'm sure you're right and I just got too lazy/dumb for it though!

No problem, I personally don't want to answer questions on here because I generally think the solutions are within the game, but for that one, as soon as you finish it, the next puzzle is basically the tutorial. I think they should be reversed.

edit: LOL you edited and said the same thing.

Ahhh, I hate giving out straight up answers but hopefully this makes sense now?

SWAMP SPOILER -
Do tetris pieces
need to be connected within the same shape, or if there's one shape in a corner can I isolate it from the rest without worrying about connecting?
Still no idea how I was supposed to figure this out on my own without a thousand bouts of trial and error.
In most cases they connect, and when they do you can put them over any icon even if it doesn't match as long as it's connected to one that does. If you isolate, then the icon needs to match what is covering it.

If I had an endless amount of time, i'd love to create a Tetris video tutorial but I don't. :<

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Are you sure you finished the
tree shadows
? The puzzle is, you
open the left and right sides of the gate with two sets of puzzles. The left side, you have to trace the shadows. The right side, you have to follow the path outlined by the shadows. Essentially, stick to shadows for one set, find the path they're trying to show you for the other.

Yeah yeah, I got the laser and everything, its just the last of the
shadow tracing puzzles
didn't make a lot of sense

jett

D-Member
Damn it, desert.

I was feeling all awesome and shit, figuring that stuff out, and blasting one puzzle after another. Now I'm stumped again in
the room with the rising water level. For the life of me I can't see any sort of sun glare on the third panel's reflection no matter where I am. edit: seems I just have to catch it at the perfect time in the perfect spot. Man fuck this. This fucking sucks.
. This game has highs but such lows too. :|

GavinGT

Banned
Damn it, desert.

I was feeling all awesome and shit, figuring that stuff out, and blasting one puzzle after another. Now I'm stumped again in
the room with the rising water level. For the life of me I can't see any sort of sun glare on the third panel's reflection no matter where I am.

It's there.

Mik2121

Damn it, desert.

the room with the rising water level. For the life of me I can't see any sort of sun glare on the third panel's reflection no matter where I am.

For which panel? You can see some
reflections with the water down and some up, and some only while it's in the middle of rising or going down.

Mindlog

Rough estimate. Lots of people using their cell phones and a healthy contingent using P/P. Hardly anyone going at it totally commando.

The game makes me laugh more than I thought it would.
The solutions are almost always so simple.
Damn it, desert.

Some of those are the most borderline puzzles I've come across in the entire game.

jett

D-Member
Yeah I figured it. That's just unnecessarily annoying.
I loathe time-based shit in anything, and everything moves so slow in this game.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
331 +27,
areas cleared.

Figuring out what the rules ACTUALLY are, and not what I immediately assume them to be, is the best type of puzzle in the game. It's why I love the tutorials.
Damned straight. Also why the desert is killing me, no long tutorial (unless I'm missing it) and I can't figure out what the first damn panel wants me to do. I continue to be baffled.

Top Bottom