• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Damned straight. Also why the desert is killing me, no long tutorial (unless I'm missing it) and I can't figure out what the first damn panel wants me to do. I continue to be baffled.

I figured the first desert panel out by complete accident (not brute force mind you). Just walk around and pay attention and something will make sense

Samboread

Anyone else finding the game is making them dizzy? I'm on PC and find I'm getting dizzy and nauseous while playing. Which completely sucks because I'm loving it

joms5

Not sure if this has been mentioned or not yet but my fiancee noticed this while i was playing. It's something that took me a minute to see. Turn your head 90 degrees to the left if you need to.

Potential spoilers if you don't want to see the environment but has nothing to do with a puzzle.

331 +27,
areas cleared.

Damned straight. Also why the desert is killing me, no long tutorial (unless I'm missing it) and I can't figure out what the first damn panel wants me to do. I continue to be baffled.

The first panel is the tutorial. And definitely don't spoil it for yourself!

Do tetris pieces
need to be connected within the same shape, or if there's one shape in a corner can I isolate it from the rest without worrying about connecting?
Still no idea how I was supposed to figure this out on my own without a thousand bouts of trial and error.

Early in the swamp, can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong here it definitely looks like it should be right.
That doesn't work at all. You can't rotate those and they can't overlap.

Not sure if this has been mentioned or not yet but my fiancee noticed this while i was playing. It's something that took me a minute to see. Turn your head 90 degrees to the left if you need to.

Potential spoilers if you don't want to see the environment but has nothing to do with a puzzle.

FUCK. There's another cool one
while on the boat near the first boat shed thing you go in. There is a statue of a girl on the water and her hair is super long when looking at it from certain angles

Croc

Banned
Ahhh, I hate giving out straight up answers but hopefully this makes sense now?

SWAMP SPOILER -

In most cases they connect, and when they do you can put them over any icon even if it doesn't match as long as it's connected to one that does. If you isolate, then the icon needs to match what is covering it.

If I had an endless amount of time, i'd love to create a Tetris video tutorial but I don't. :<

I think I get that first one but I still don't understand the second one even looking at the solution -.-

Any ideas what the puzzles in the
jungle
want from me? I'm getting kind of annoyed by being pushed back a block in what's essentially the tutorial each time I fail. It doesn't usually bother me but during the learning stage makes no sense.

Edit: Nevermind, holy shit!

subrock

So the tetris puzzle in the trough at the lumber mill is cheating. I've done all the tetris puzzles, but this one is breaking its own rules.

I think I get that first one but I still don't understand the second one even looking at the solution -.-
The blue squares cancel out the yellow ones. Because a yellow square is made up for 4 yellow blocks, you need to group them with 4 blue dots. Once they are group, you cancel out the need to create the 4 square block using your line tool. In this case, the line tool is used to seperate the two yellow shapes with enough blue squares to cancel out the rule.

JTripper

These
treetop stars and colors panels
are fucking killing me.

I feel like they broke their own rules because now
there's only one black star on the board

jtm33

Neo Member
Oh wow thanks for that, the frequent crashes and the shadow strangeness are exactly what I have been dealing with! Most problems with my card!

My computer has not been connected to the internet for about a day (visiting parents), I have been using my phone to post and upload photos. I'll check for an update then!

I downloaded the update and it is fixed! It is so awesome to see this game with proper shadows now. I can now see my own silhouette!

Croc

Banned
The blue squares completely negate the shapes.

right, I get that. But then what makes that solution correct as opposed to say, literally any random line you put on the board?

fake edit: oh my god I finally understand. I didn't realize that
the blue square only had to be in the same section as a yellow square to count it out. I thought it was more specific than that and I needed to pay attention to how many extra spaces were in whatever shape was created to get them together too. But once it's canceled out it's irrelevant how many spaces are in the shape. Good lord my brain hurts.

Mindlog

These
treetop stars and colors panels
are fucking killing me.

I feel like they broke their own rules because now
there's only one black star on the board
Whenever (general game hint)
an exception appears it means they are trying to teach you something new.

hughesta

Banned
Sum the shapes, don't overlap them. The contained space has to have as many squares as the component pieces
Thanks for the tip, but still nada.
unless this game has caused me to forget how to count, there seems to be 10 pieces needed and I have ten in the contained space?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Am I standing in the wrong place to get this puzzle to activate?

Secret(?) Puzzle

I can get it to sparkle a little but it wont let me draw it yet. The other ones I've found like this haven't been this hard to trigger, so I'm wondering if I'm not in the right area or something.
LINK IMAGES!

Spoiler tags don't work on mobile.

right, I get that. But then what makes that solution correct as opposed to say, literally any random line you put on the board?

fake edit: oh my god I finally understand. I didn't realize that
the blue square only had to be in the same section as a yellow square to count it out. I thought it was more specific than that and I needed to pay attention to how many extra spaces were in whatever shape was created to get them together too. But once it's canceled out it's irrelevant how many spaces are in the shape. Good lord my brain hurts.
The major rule for yellow blocks is you need to outline the tetrimino. The blue blocks can cancel out the yellow blocks, which cancels out the rule that you need to draw them. To do that, you group the right amount of blue blocks with a yellow shape. Once done, think of it as turning the puzzle into the white/black square puzzles you learn in the beginning because the yellow tetrimino rule has been removed.

I'm sure i've made it more confusing. These puzzles are impossible for me to describe but I understand them. :>

Thanks for the tip, but still nada.
unless this game has caused me to forget how to count, there seems to be 10 pieces needed and I have ten in the contained space?
Tetris.
It's not about the amount of squares, it's about the shapes and finding a way to outline them.

Not a huge deal but I noticed that The Witness has no issues switching back and forth from KB/M and controller -- that could be a fun way to play it with someone couch co-op style

Anyhow this game. So good!

shem935

Banned
I'm on what I think is the last tetris tutorial panel. One with
a Tetris piece that has 4 blocks stacked 2 and 2 with a space in the middle. Any tips on making these work? I can't seem to make that specific block work out.

Ok guys, please help. I'm done pushing around paper cutouts of these shapes and I just want the answer:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k6u73dptrr5wr7r/File Jan 27, 10 29 52 PM.jpeg?dl=0

Oh my god I was stuck on this one for ages and when I finally got it... I really don't like giving out solutions but here's a strong hint:
Try to visualize all the shapes together. Don't worry about individual shapes too much, just pretend you're playing Tetris and aim to fill in the grid with them as compactly as possible. Then, you just need to be concerned with putting a line around that large mass. You could also try adding up all the squares from Tetris shapes and compare that to how many squares are in the grid to get an idea of what sort of line you're going for.

justjim89

How is the solution to this not just
a 4x3 rectangle? Two sets of two squares fit in underneath the upside down L to make a square, then the 3-tall line sits next to it.
But that's not the answer. What gives? There are only so many variables to adjust here.

Croc

Banned
The major rule for yellow blocks is you need to outline the tetrimino. The blue blocks can cancel out the yellow blocks, which cancels out the rule that you need to draw them. To do that, you group the right amount of blue blocks with a yellow shape. Once done, think of it as turning the puzzle into the white/black square puzzles you learn in the beginning because the yellow tetrimino rule has been removed.

I'm sure i've made it more confusing. These puzzles are impossible for me to describe but I understand them. :>

Oh no, you helped a ton. I really appreciate it! It's just so hard to comprehend some things when there are so many layers of rules that go into to making it work. Misunderstanding even the smallest thing makes all of your assumptions off

a 4x3 rectangle? Two sets of two squares fit in underneath the upside down L to make a square, then the 3-tall line sits next to it.
But that's not the answer. What gives? There are only so many variables to adjust here.

You can't change the shapes that are shown. That's not a square, that's two discrete 1x2 blocks that are two blocks apart.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Oh my god I was stuck on this one for ages and when I finally got it... I really don't like giving out solutions but here's a strong hint:
Try to visualize all the shapes together. Don't worry about individual shapes too much, just pretend you're playing Tetris and aim to fill in the grid with them as compactly as possible. Then, you just need to be concerned with putting a line around that large mass. You could also try adding up all the squares from Tetris shapes and compare that to how many squares are in the grid to get an idea of what sort of line you're going for.
I am doing that, I'm using real cutouts to try and fit them together but can't even do that. I just need a solution at this point, I get what they want from me.

Check the spacing of the bottom shape

Okay, vague Tetris help has me up way too late.

5ein7rY.png

JTripper

This
treehouse
puzzle is killing me. I must be missing a rule.

It has 3 green cubes, 1 pink cube, and 1 pink star. I have to make sure the 2 pink ones are together but separated from the green but it's impossible to do that due to the green cubes' placement. wtf

I keep reading people's explanations and tips for the tetris stuff, but they still seem like bull to me. Only stuff that I can't actually wrap my head around.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Can someone explain to me what the heck is the point to picking the DEFAULT Settings option on the PC version? Why wouldnt i just pick high?

hughesta

Banned
Tetris.
It's not about the amount of squares, it's about the shapes and finding a way to outline them.
Thank you, finally made it past this one. Feel like I'm finally starting to get it.

Solves the next one immediately :)

And the one after!!

Top Bottom