• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Shit, that makes it even more confusing. How does that even fit on the screen then?

The big tetris tip:
as long as the shape is contained within the outlined area, the shape doesn't need to overlap with the tile that contains its icon. If I have to include an L somewhere that doesn't mean the L has to overlap with the "L" tile, the "L" tile just has to be inside the area

Dinjoralo

So I found these puzzles in a forest that use
the shadows of the trees
as hints. But one of them is completely confusing me. Anyone able to help out with this one?

I tried
copying the lines coming from the left dot on the right dot,
But that's not working, and I cannot think of anything else.

Shit, that makes it even more confusing. How does that even fit on the screen then?

The grid is 4x4, that's more than enough room to fit all those shapes.
Actual squares in the tetris shapes can't be resued, but nothing said you can't fit other shapes into empty spaces in them.
It's just like Tetris. Actually, since I hardly doubt you care, just look at those solution to a future swamp puzzle that I outlined to see how using the Tetris shapes is literally like Tetris:

The Technomancer

the shadows of the trees
as hints. But one of them is completely confusing me. Anyone able to help out with this one?

I tried

No you have it right, I was stuck on the exact same thing for a few hours today. What's probably screwing you up is that the segment that goes off the left edge of the panel and connects with the shadow counts as a line segment, so the pattern you're drawing probably isn't quite right

I'd appreciate a hint for this puzzle in the desert temple.

screenshot

I can only get that small section of the solution to show up via the reflection
I don't know if there is a way to see the solution completed in the reflection. There is only a few possibilities for the part you can't see. I managed to guess first try.

Mindlog

the shadows of the trees

I tried
Think about what you have been seeing and what you are seeing. The language hasn't changed. The later ones can be much tougher if you don't keep that in mind.

So regarding one of the slightly more out of the way mechanics,
colors, doesi it want me to group them into the colors regarding how they would mix into each other? That was my first assumption but there's a grey block throwing me off.

justjim89

I'd appreciate a hint for this puzzle in the desert temple.

screenshot

I can only get that small section of the solution to show up via the reflection

Don't sweat it man, that section is just poorly designed. You have to just walk pixel by pixel until you find the various sweet spots. You won't see the whole thing at once, but you can see the individual pieces and puzzle it together.

Here's some quick rules I've written up from memory for the Tetris Shapes, in spoilers for those who haven't gotten to them and want to find out on their own:

-Shapes must be used as is, in the shape they are shown. You cannot reconfigure the squares in a shape. You cannot overlap shapes. You cannot add to shapes or subtract from shapes. Unless slanted as described in the next rule you may not rotate them either. A square MUST be a square, an L laying down with the hook coming up to the right MUST be drawn like that, and so on.
-The exception to that rule are when the shape is shown as slanted. Then, the shape may be ROTATED. A standing line may be rotated to horizontal for example, and that L with an upwards-right hook may be rotated so the hook is lower-left. All other rules still apply.
-The Tetris symbol must be enclosed by the line/wall in the group that represents the shape the symbol shows.
-Multiple symbols may be enclosed within a single group, so long as the different shapes are invisibly represented within that group. A 2x2 square symbol and a 1x2 line symbol may be connected together to form a 3x2 area, for instance.
-Only the actual squares in a symbol matter, blank spaces should not be included in the group and in fact may be filled in by other shapes (just like Tetris!). That said, the number of spaces between squares in the symbol DO matter.
-When combining multiple symbols within a group like that, all symbols must be enclosed within the combined group.
-The Big One: In a combined Tetris group, IT DOES NOT MATTER WHERE THE SYMBOL IS! So long as the symbol is within the group as divided by your line and the walls that the shape is represented in, it's fine. It does NOT have to be on the shape itself.

Oh, and a small addendum for an easy error-checking method. The total number of squares in a combined Tetris group should equal the summed number of squares in the symbols for all shapes contained within that group.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Quarry and Desert down, up to 6 places now. Sitting at 298 +14 solved...but I'm pretty sure I'm going to smack into a wall now.

I really enjoyed the Quarry, kept adding new mechanics on top of the basic one for some clever puzzles.

Beat the game! Only 314 puzzles solved (+29), so I still have tons to do!

Light end game spoilers:
the game really starts messing with the puzzle structures toward the end and while it was super frustrating I loved it

ryanthelion123

Neo Member
After about 2 hours, I am enjoying the game so far. But gonna have to take a break I am getting a bit nauseous from playing it. Hopefully, they can fix that soon.

Also just finished the
symmetry
shrine thing; any idea where to go next. I can't find puzzles that I can do without knowing the mechanics of it.

The Technomancer

After about 2 hours, I am enjoying the game so far. But gonna have to take a break I am getting a bit nauseous from playing it. Hopefully, they can fix that soon.

Also just finished the
symmetry
shrine thing; any idea where to go next. I can't find puzzles that I can do without knowing the mechanics of it.

Hmmm check out the bunker behind the mountain maybe

Here's some quick rules I've written up from memory for the Tetris Shapes, in spoilers for those who haven't gotten to them and want to find out on their own:

-Shapes must be used as is, in the shape they are shown. You cannot reconfigure the squares in a shape. You cannot overlap shapes. You cannot add to shapes or subtract from shapes. Unless slanted as described in the next rule you may not rotate them either. A square MUST be a square, an L laying down with the hook coming up to the right MUST be drawn like that, and so on.
-The exception to that rule are when the shape is shown as slanted. Then, the shape may be ROTATED. A standing line may be rotated to horizontal for example, and that L with an upwards-right hook may be rotated so the hook is lower-left. All other rules still apply.
-The Tetris symbol must be enclosed by the line/wall in the group that represents the shape the symbol shows.
-Multiple symbols may be enclosed within a single group, so long as the different shapes are invisibly represented within that group. A 2x2 square symbol and a 1x2 line symbol may be connected together to form a 3x2 area, for instance.
-Only the actual squares in a symbol matter, blank spaces should not be included in the group and in fact may be filled in by other shapes (just like Tetris!). That said, the number of spaces between squares in the symbol DO matter.
-When combining multiple symbols within a group like that, all symbols must be enclosed within the combined group.
-The Big One: In a combined Tetris group, IT DOES NOT MATTER WHERE THE SYMBOL IS! So long as the symbol is within the group as divided by your line and the walls that the shape is represented in, it's fine. It does NOT have to be on the shape itself.

Oh, and a small addendum for an easy error-checking method. The total number of squares in a combined Tetris group should equal the summed number of squares in the symbols for all shapes contained within that group.

I saved this for future reference as soon as I saw it, but as a visual learner I would love to see some diagrams. The descriptions are awesome and SO appreciated but I definitely could use more visual cues besides what the tutorials provided.

Thank you, Shrike!

Two hours in the marsh and I finally met my match for the time being. I can't believe the huge puzzle that had me
cutting out paper shapes
wasn't the end.

Then I went back to the
keep
with the marsh knowledge and solved it! ...
But it was enough to only solve half of it?

Sometimes, the puzzle turns back off after failing, forcing me to redo the (solved) puzzle before it, like in the
boat house.

Is that supposed to force repetition so I learn the trick or something? It's pretty annoying.

I saved this for future reference as soon as I saw it, but as a visual learner I would love to see some diagrams. The descriptions are awesome and SO appreciated but I definitely could use more visual cues besides what the tutorials provided.

Thank you, Shrike!

Sorry, I'm at work right now and Paint really isn't the best for that but once I get home I can see what I can do.

Fhtagn

I got very frustrated with the Tetris tutorial and feel that section should be easily twice as long to properly convey the rules.

Thanks to a post in here a bunch of pages ago that spelled out the simplest rule, and resorting to pencil and paper for the first time, I was able to power through and solve most of that section.

I'll point out that using paper made me eventually realize why I was stuck on that one three pieces puzzle everyone keeps posting about.

Also...

Is this game making anyone else act like Dark Souls does? I keep saying "fuck!" under my breath anytime I beat a hard panel, a lot like when I win in Souls or Bloodborne.

Except, in a low key mellow because my heart isn't pounding and I'm breathing easy despite getting stuck. Relaxing game. Absolutely loving it so far at 144 panels solved.

Sometimes, the puzzle turns back off after failing, forcing me to redo the (solved) puzzle before it, like in the
boat house.

Is that supposed to force repetition so I learn the trick or something? It's pretty annoying.
Usually those can be brute forced easily, so they build that in to prevent it from what I understand.

icespide

Banned
I got very frustrated with the Tetris tutorial and feel that section should be easily twice as long to properly convey the rules.

Thanks to a post in here a bunch of pages ago that spelled out the simplest rule, and resorting to pencil and paper for the first time, I was able to power through and solve most of that section.

I'll point out that using paper made me eventually realize why I was stuck on that one three pieces puzzle everyone keeps posting about.

Also...

Is this game making anyone else act like Dark Souls does? I keep saying "fuck!" under my breath anytime I beat a hard panel, a lot like when I win in Souls or Bloodborne.

Except, in a low key mellow because my heart isn't pounding and I'm breathing easy despite getting stuck. Relaxing game. Absolutely loving it so far at 144 panels solved.

I'm having stronger reactions to success than blood borne wins. I somehow solved a crazy looking Tetris puzzle by dumb luck the first try and I almost creamed my pants

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I am doing that, I'm using real cutouts to try and fit them together but can't even do that. I just need a solution at this point, I get what they want from me.
The solution is deceptively simple. I'd hate to give it all away, it was great to figure out.

Big hint:
You don't have to play games with rearranging the pieces all over the panel (although that might be possible, not sure). My solution allows every piece to be used in a position where it covers its own marker.

Huge hint:
Two corners are empty.

Solution:
It's the top two corners, just trace up the left side and leave those holes.

Near the exit door you can look under the scaffold as the water lowers. Should reveal the later half of the puzzle

Man, I'm not seeing anything. The exit provides a really, really narrow view of the reflection.

I'm assuming by "exit" you mean the door that hasn't opened yet, correct?

This is killing me.

Edit - NEVERMIND, YES!!! Figured it out. Thanks so much for everyone's help.

Dinjoralo

...Oh my god, I got it.
You have to account for the shadow being cut off by adding an extra tile where it cuts off.
Even though the previous puzzles don't do that in the same circumstances. That makes no damn sense...

Stoze

Got a question, not sure how many of you can answer it:

I'm about to beat a 7th area. Should I open up what I assume is the end game now, or should I wait until I have 11 completed?...Does it matter?

Please be as spoiler free as you can. Hoping there's no points of no return or anything, games with no manual saving make me really cautious about that stuff.

...Oh my god, I got it.
You have to account for the shadow being cut off by adding an extra tile where it cuts off.
Even though the previous puzzles don't do that in the same circumstances. That makes no damn sense...
Can you check the link in my previous post? Is that the solution?

Trust me, you're going to be facepalming so hard if you look at the solution. I urge you not to, but if you must:
http://imgur.com/EFN1zsQ Red line is what you should follow, yellow lines just show the arrangement of shapes. Yeah...

This totally makes sense.
I understand why you did what you did and how this puzzle works. I find that when I have more open available space, that's when I run into trouble. Where do I put two shapes on a much larger grid? When people are saying it doesn't matter where these shapes go as long as the correct number of squares are utilized, then where do they go in the scheme of things?

shem935

Banned
Man, I'm not seeing anything. The exit provides a really, really narrow view of the reflection.

I'm assuming by "exit" you mean the door that hasn't opened yet, correct?

This is killing me.

I would need to go back and check but I definitely remember
two angles one that was viewed from the left of the puzzle and under a set of scaffolds
. Beyond that as the other poster said you can force it.

Fhtagn

Ok guys, please help. I'm done pushing around paper cutouts of these shapes and I just want the answer:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k6u73dptrr5wr7r/File Jan 27, 10 29 52 PM.jpeg?dl=0

Somehow I did this one first try on instinct alone. Wasn't a guess per se but I couldn't tell you why I knew the answer.

Anyone else have that kind of experience in this game? Subconsciously knowing the answer? This is the only time it's happened out of 144 solved panels.

One hint is to
add up how many blocks all of those pieces combine into, then you'll know how few need to be open

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
D'aww, it said it was ready to play then when I actually finally sat down to do so it had an update to install. Boo waiting!

Puzzle count is now
441 +113 +1.
I've also found
four of the six hex solutions, and I think there's another right past the current puzzle I'm puzzling.
But the puzzles are getting harder and harder to find :(

This totally makes sense. I understand why you did what you did and how this puzzle works. I find that when I have more open available space, that's when I run into trouble. Where do I put two shapes on a grid of 4x8? When people are saying it doesn't matter where these shapes go as long as the correct number of squares are utilized, then where do they go in the scheme of things?

You're misunderstanding what people are saying.
What they mean doesn't matter is that the SYMBOLS, the actual Tetris symbols shown in the grid, it doesn't matter where THOSE go within the enclosed group that contains that shape. In the solution I gave you it just so happens that every shape contains its own symbol, but that's rarely the case. The reason I had so many problems with that puzzle is I was trying to over-complicate it in fact when it's actually exceedingly simple. But, if those symbols in the picture I gave were jumbled up and in different places, so long as the shapes the symbols showed remained the same the solution would still work no matter what. Figuring out those groups and where to place the shapes is the entire puzzle so can't really answer that, but other Tetris puzzles past the Swamp will combine the Tetris shapes with other symbols. In those cases, it's helpful to think of the shapes as ways to group and divide the other symbols.

Puzzle count is now
441 +113 +1.
I've also found
four of the six hex solutions, and I think there's another right past the current puzzle I'm puzzling.
But the puzzles are getting harder and harder to find :(

W-wait, +113 +1? You mean there's MORE + stuff than just the hidden lines? Whaaaaat! (Don't tell me what it is please, I already had the hidden lines spoiled before release and would rather find more stuff on my own!)

Top Bottom