• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Fhtagn

This totally makes sense. I understand why you did what you did and how this puzzle works. I find that when I have more open available space, that's when I run into trouble. Where do I put two shapes on a grid of 4x4? When people are saying it doesn't matter where these shapes go as long as the correct number of squares are utilized, then where do they go in the scheme of things?

usually it does matter where they go in the sense that there's usually only one solution. The way in which it doesn't matter is that if you can fit them into the same area you can have them in any valid combination and if it's (2x2 square) and (2x1 line) next to each other, the solution can be (2x3 rectangle) where you'd visualize it such that one of those pieces is not touching it's origin square if you get what I mean. And just because there are two Tetris pieces doesn't mean they always connect. Just usually.

Went back and beat the rest of the
keep
for completeness' sake. I'm almost not surprised that
it doesn't do anything else

112 solved.
Shady trees
bunker
, and
keep
complete, plus a big chunk of
marsh

Wandered into the
shipwreck
too. Such a coy area.

Exuro

343 puzzles done so far on my own. Feels good but hearing about +1 puzzles making me want to adventure more, but currently stuck at the few places I know of checking out.

Damn. The shitty part of non-linear games. I had half the puzzles done already, now I can't finish the other half because of this nonsense. :S
The funny part is I understand the Tetris part but alone it's not completable and I have no idea why the white part does. We know the exact opposite of each other, haha.

Brashnir

I very very very much recommend avoiding that puzzle until you complete the swamp. Hints will not make sense.

Funny, I've completed the swamp and just came to this thread for a nudge on that very puzzle. My instinct is to isolate the pair that can be combined into the 2x2, but there's no way to do that given their positions.

Anybody got any hints?

...Oh my god, I got it.
You have to account for the shadow being cut off by adding an extra tile where it cuts off.
Even though the previous puzzles don't do that in the same circumstances. That makes no damn sense...
Check out the pole holding the puzzle. Or maybe you took that into account.

368 + 12, 8 areas down! Area spoilers,
finishing the town was awesome. Having it be the incorporate everything you learned and firing the laser was sooooooooooo satisfying.
Half of keep, most of the monastery and the last puzzle in shadow treeville left! Also, possible collectible spoilers
4/6 video messages

I find it interesting, I enjoyed the marsh area for the most part. It took a little bit to understand the new rules. However I more than made up in frustration in the desert, I never want to go to there again lol.

Funny, I've completed the swamp and just came to this thread for a nudge on that very puzzle. My instinct is to isolate the pair that can be combined into the 2x2, but there's no way to do that given their positions.
Yup. The top right one I don't know what to do with but I assume the white thing goes with it some how. I don't have experience with the white part yet.

Goldrusher

I have no idea how these specific orientations of tetris shapes work. My guess is some random other series of puzzles elaborates more on their mechanics, but I'd really like to just finish this set now. Can someone give me a hint?

Solution: http://i.imgur.com/opSmbCf.jpg

Explanation:
The white symbol allows you to ignore something else. In this case, you can ignore one of the tetris-blocks.

skynidas

Banned
368 + 12, 8 areas down! Area spoilers,
finishing the town was awesome. Having it be the incorporate everything you learned and firing the laser was sooooooooooo satisfying.
Half of keep, most of the monastery and the last puzzle in shadow treeville left! Also, possible collectible spoilers
4/6 video messages

I find it interesting, I enjoyed the marsh area for the most part. It took a little bit to understand the new rules. However I more than made up in frustration in the desert, I never want to go to there again lol.

can you help me with this one please? https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CZx8UrzW0AAkztO.jpg:large

Stoze

343 puzzles done so far on my own. Feels good but hearing about +1 puzzles making me want to adventure more, but currently stuck at the few places I know of checking out.

Oh man, you're in for a treat.

I want to keep playing, but my brain is kinda fried. The annoying part is I'm not even tired. Hopefully my head will clear up within the next hour.

elguero

This game is ruining my life. I'm too stupid for this shit. Even when I "get" the puzzle my brain just goes to mush when it comes time to draw the actual lines. I'm definitely over thinking a lot of these puzzles. If I get stuck and check a guide every single time I end up saying "wow can't believe it was that simple" once I see the solution. Ughhh I want to love this game so much...

These puzzles are an interesting intellectual divide. Here I am, almost 11pm trying to understand tetris puzzles, where as (area spoilers)
the shadow puzzles in the logging area, sound puzzles in the bamboo forest, and desert sand temple reflection puzzles were so enjoyable and almost effortless for me in their sense of implementation.
Really interesting how the brain works! :)

Pretty much everyone is getting messed up on this and I can blame the design a little bit.
The block with a space in between the pieces is actually 2 spaces in between ,not just one.

I actually think what you put in the spoiler text is clear, but what it signifies after following the previous panels is more literal than what I originally thought.

How are you guys keeping track of the number of puzzles you have solved?, please don't say that writing it down on paper, cuz im fucked then.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Somehow I did this one first try on instinct alone. Wasn't a guess per se but I couldn't tell you why I knew the answer.

Anyone else have that kind of experience in this game? Subconsciously knowing the answer? This is the only time it's happened out of 144 solved panels.

One hint is to
add up how many blocks all of those pieces combine into, then you'll know how few need to be open

This happened to me in the quarry and the treetop area, I was rapidly solving puzzles right away. It felt amazing until I ran into a wall again, lol.

the solution if you can haha, i understand the rules of this but can't figure this one out

Welp okay,
essentially you are creating a bridge with the solution. So it will look like an upside down upper case Y. Or if rows are 1-5 (going down) and columns are A-C (going right) then A and C 1/2 will be empty and B 4/5 will also be empty. If it still isn't clear let me know, not the greatest at explaining.

After gliding through the early puzzles, with all the learning feeling really amazingly natural, this tetris stuff has hit me like a brick wall. I've read everyone's tips multiple times now, but when I look at a panel, I just want to smash my head into the table.

I think it's time for bed.

kinda wish this game had a "stats" menu where i could see how many puzzles i've cleared, how many in each area remain and how long i've played..

anyway,
i'm doing the shadow puzzles, and there's one where the wood that shadows are cast on doesn't line up well.. i'm not sure what im supposed to be doing.
help?

skynidas

Banned
Welp okay,
essentially you are creating a bridge with the solution. So it will look like an upside down upper case Y. Or if rows are 1-5 (going down) and columns are A-C (going right) then A and C 1/2 will be empty and B 4/5 will also be empty. If it still isn't clear let me know, not the greatest at explaining.

i got it! thanks a lot! _:)

I haven't done one of these yet, but I'm guessing it's that break between the blocks on the right in the 4 horizontal block pattern. I'd guess this would be the solution: http://i.imgur.com/TySPFVf.jpgEDIT: Actually scratch that, this is probably right: http://i.imgur.com/jf8OG2A.jpg

i know that depending on
how you solve the puzzle is how the bridge moves but i can't find the appropiate solution

solution:
right .5, up 2, left 1, down 2, left 1, up 3, right 1, up 2, right 1, down 2, right 1, up and end

Beaulieu

kinda wish this game had a "stats" menu where i could see how many puzzles i've cleared, how many in each area remain and how long i've played..

anyway,
i'm doing the shadow puzzles, and there's one where the wood that shadows are cast on doesn't line up well.. i'm not sure what im supposed to be doing.
help?

this section sucks. the shadows are all badly alligne by purpose. you need to anticipate where the shadow would fall if it wasnt for the obstacle. took me a while.

tdwig

Neo Member
I'VE HIT A BRICK WALL

Couple floors down in the mountain, flashing trippy color panels, 4th screen on the right (has an L shape tetris on the right side)

I can't for the life of me figure this one out after working on it for an hour. Any help would be appreciated.

W-wait, +113 +1? You mean there's MORE + stuff than just the hidden lines? Whaaaaat! (Don't tell me what it is please, I already had the hidden lines spoiled before release and would rather find more stuff on my own!)
It's nothing too exciting, if I'm understanding it correctly :p. You'll definitely figure it out yourself if you keep on puzzling.

After gliding through the early puzzles, with all the learning feeling really amazingly natural, this tetris stuff has hit me like a brick wall. I've read everyone's tips multiple times now, but when I look at a panel, I just want to smash my head into the table.

I think it's time for bed.
Yeah I really enjoyed one side of the island but stumbling upon these Tetris pieces now and even it's tutorial I have to say I'm not as excited to explore some areas.

hughesta

Banned
One last red panel tetris puzzle is killing me: http://imgur.com/fsC9OGt

Any tips? Was able to do the rest of the red panel puzzles and open the gate thanks to a few tips in here, but this one continues to elude me. I'm starting to get it, but this one still escapes me. Help gaf :c

I'VE HIT A BRICK WALL

Couple floors down in the mountain, flashing trippy color panels, 4th screen on the right (has an L shape tetris on the right side)

I can't for the life of me figure this one out after working on it for an hour. Any help would be appreciated.

There's very few who have gotten that far, and due to how much those panels fucked with my brain I don't really remember them despite doing it just last night. Still, that's one area I really recommend you try and push through on your own. Just keep at it!

Actually wait it might be one that I can remember (probably because I had a bit of trouble with it too), if it has stars in the puzzle then
Remember that you can pair a star with another symbol of the same color. Now look at the nearby star and the L symbol...

JTripper

The curved tetris panels after the blue bridge in the swamp
are fucking killing me. Ugh.

Edit: Just did 2 after posting this! Yes!

Puzzle count is now
441 +113 +1.
I've also found
four of the six hex solutions, and I think there's another right past the current puzzle I'm puzzling.
But the puzzles are getting harder and harder to find :(

The only one I'm matching you is on the
hex. Got the 'mountain', the one behind the monastery, the one in the early vault and the desert one.

Top Bottom