• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

jett

D-Member
Man fuck the tetris blocks. This game really should teach you better how to use multiple ones all bunched up. I can't do shit at the swamp after crossing over.

shem935

Banned
Part of the city puzzle section. The church door with the
colored flower looking things. Do I need to separate all the colors? Or am I mixing up mechanics? Don't think it's physically possible to separate all those.

The only one I'm matching you is on the
hex. Got the 'mountain', the one behind the monastery, the one in the early vault and the desert one.

Huh, those are all the same I've found. The one I'm currently 'hunting' is
in the busted up boat thing.
At least, I'm hoping one's there. If not I'm probably screwed <_<

ymgve

Finally "activated" the first totem, but as far as I can tell it did nothing except add another number in my save filename.

Two questions:

- Where is the code for the fourth video located?
- There seems to be a lot of stuff underground that I can't access yet. Anyone managed to go further than the video room?

Was really enjoying the
desert temple
, then I got to the room where you
move water up and down to see the reflections
. That is just a chore and time consuming

Huh, those are all the same I've found. The one I'm currently 'hunting' is
in the busted up boat thing.
At least, I'm hoping one's there. If not I'm probably screwed <_<

Are all the 'normal' extra puzzles you have (I'm at 435 now, but may have missed an arrow panel) inside the boat too? Thought I needed more information for the gate!

Gurrry

90 panels done. probably gonna play a bit more before bed.. theres still some things i dont understand, but i thought i did. im officially stuck on one major puzzle i think.

i did one area with a bunch of apple trees that ended with the final tree not containing an apple, after looking around i see that the apple was cut up like someone had eaten it. little touches like that make this one special game. its telling a story without saying a single word.

I would need to go back and check but I definitely remember
two angles one that was viewed from the left of the puzzle and under a set of scaffolds
. Beyond that as the other poster said you can force it.

Thanks for you help, I figured it out and was able to complete that entire area.

It was the first section I completed. Didn't think it was all that bad. Some of the solutions are hard, but it wasn't for lack of the game teaching me how to do them.

That's the beauty of this game, everyone might not get everything right away. I am glad there is no formal tutorial, just old-school trial and error.

The bunker was the second place I completed.

Goldrusher

Part of the city puzzle section. The church door with the
colored flower looking things. Do I need to separate all the colors? Or am I mixing up mechanics? Don't think it's physically possible to separate all those.

That one is part of a really, really clever puzzle.

You're on the right track... but first
you have to look at the puzzle from a very specific place...

Easily the worst tutorialized section so far.

The tutorials are definitely... you get them or you don't. I got most of them after basically forcing my brain to reject all solutions that are clearly impossible.

Not all of them, though. After two hours I'm stuck on what I think has to be the last set of tetris tutorials.

Has to be.

I definitely enjoyed the two hours, though. It was steady progress all the way.

megalowho

The desert section was really satisfying to complete after discovering the key to the panels. Needed that sense of progress after hitting a few mental dead ends in other areas.

This game is already planted into my subconscious, had dreams of line puzzles and shapes last night and I'm sure it'll continue tonight.

It's also making me a bit nauseous after extended sessions. Not sure if it's the FOV, no reticle or just staring intently at puzzles. Last time I felt sick was with Jazzpunk which had similar issues, that one really messed me up - had to seriously lie down after 30 minutes. At least with The Witness it's not so bad that I can't push through.

Oni3298

Can anyone please explain to me the concept behind the quarry puzzles with that weird fan shaped symbol? Went through a few of the tutorial puzzles but still can't seem to figure out exactly what it's effect is...

Hey guys, I'm playing it for the first time and am streaming, you guys can view it here:

http://www.twitch.tv/coasterfreak225

WARNING: DO NOT WATCH IF YOU HAVE OR PLAN TO PLAY THE GAME AND DON'T WANT TO SEE ANY SPOILERS!

I just stream for recording purposes, and whenever I'm stuck on an audio puzzle and you guys can help. Chat is included in the link. Enjoy and hopefully to see some of you there.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Uh what? I
activated the desert laser and it points nowhere

I know I have to
bounce it off the temple medallion but how the hell do I rotate it?

HiiiLife

I'm stuck at the
third maze and im so convinced shadows have something to do with it. Am I reaching right now GAF? lemme know of im on the right track lol

Are all the 'normal' extra puzzles you have (I'm at 435 now, but may have missed an arrow panel) inside the boat too? Thought I needed more information for the gate!
I don't think so, there were just some sparkles there otherwise. I'm not really sure where to point you for possible missing ones, but there were a few standalone ones that didn't really accomplish anything
in that flowery building by the spire in the center 'town'ish place,
and I guess I found a couple of less overt ones
way back at the beginning section
. Otherwise, no idea.

Regarding the + number on the puzzle screen
Does anyone know if you need the one in the 'developers' ending' to get them all? Would be a shame to get all the way to the end and be missing only one. :/

I don't think so, there were just some sparkles there otherwise. I'm not really sure where to point you for possible missing ones, but there were a few standalone ones that didn't really accomplish anything
in that flowery building by the spire in the center 'town'ish place,
and I guess I found a couple of less overt ones
way back at the beginning section
. Otherwise, no idea.

Yeah, I got those already! Time to explore more :D

Can anyone please explain to me the concept behind the quarry puzzles with that weird fan shaped symbol? Went through a few of the tutorial puzzles but still can't seem to figure out exactly what it's effect is...

I had a bunch of issues there too and this kind post helped me loads:

I think you have enough information to figure it out, but if you want to go to the place where that symbol is properly introduced, I think it's
the factory-like building at the bottome of the quary, near the end of the train track

If you don't want to go there and just want some subtle hints to decipher it now:
  1. Think about what happens when you complete a puzzle.
  2. Some symbols flash as if the solution was wrong, yet the puzzle is validated
  3. Specifically, two symbols flash, and one of them is always the same in all the puzzles
  4. Think about what that symbol might do, why it might be flashing along with another one
A more obvious explanation:
The 'tri' symbol corrects one mistake; you need to make a mistake in the puzzle and 'group' it with the symbol, and it will be ignored and the puzzle will be validated

I'm stuck at the
third maze and im so convinced shadows have something to do with it. Am I reaching right now GAF? lemme know of im on the right track lol

Eh. You are thinking about deception which is good, but not all deception is visual.

Tainted

Was fantastic listening to the Giant Bomb guys talk about this in the latest Bombcast, they really are in love with this game.

I am enjoying my time with it so far (155+1 puzzles in)...but I am pretty hopeless at it. It hasn't really clicked for me I guess in the same way it has for them (and many others in here)

The island sure is beautiful though.

This game is really starting to lose me. I just found that interior part of the swamp with the single green Tetris panel with the 7 shapes and I have been staring at this thing for literally an hour and a half. This game just isn't doing much for me at this point, I hope I can make it all click soon.

shem935

Banned
That one is part of a really, really clever puzzle.

You're on the right track... but first
you have to look at the puzzle from a very specific place...

The flower arrangements in the bunker?
My eyes aren't great with colors. Might need to put this one on pause for the night.

bigmac996

Does anyone know the trick behind those puzzle boards hidden throughout? They're extremely easy to solve by trial and error, but I don't understand the meaning behind the triangles.

Feep

Banned
This game is really starting to lose me. I just found that interior part of the swamp with the single green Tetris panel with the 7 shapes and I have been staring at this thing for literally an hour and a half. This game just isn't doing much for me at this point, I hope I can make it all click soon.
This was the most difficult puzzle I've solved so far. Maybe I wasn't paying attention, but I'm not sure what it *did*...I'm not sure if it's part of the main swamp puzzle line, if it can be completed without it. Look around for others?

JTripper

There's a super intimidating
tetris puzzle down the purple steps after the blue water drains from the swamp.

I'm guessing I need graph paper for this.

JerkShep

Progression question for the quarry, the woodmaker hut especially
I managed to move the ramp in the middle but I don't know what to do now...I tried redoing the puzzle to change its inclination but it went back to being completely closed and stays like that

Goldrusher

7 shapes? You mean this one?

http://i.imgur.com/Jicw0fS.jpg (solution, you'll laugh)

Simply go up from the start, and "cut" the top corners. That's it.

tdwig

Neo Member
There's very few who have gotten that far, and due to how much those panels fucked with my brain I don't really remember them despite doing it just last night. Still, that's one area I really recommend you try and push through on your own. Just keep at it!

Actually wait it might be one that I can remember (probably because I had a bit of trouble with it too), if it has stars in the puzzle then
Remember that you can pair a star with another symbol of the same color. Now look at the nearby star and the L symbol...

Here's the puzzle I'm stuck on via twitch.
http://www.twitch.tv/tdwig
I realize where I need to make the L but I can't for the life of me figure out how to do it while isolating the other colors.

Top Bottom