• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wolf Among Us |OT| Season 1

Simzyy

I just finished episode 1. Took 2 hours.

Holy shit. This is so much better than I expected. Really really dark and gritty.

I am so excited to get back into this universe. Probably going to check out the comics now and I'm really not a comic guy.

Did you buy directly from Telltale's website or through Steam? Steam doesn't have the authentication requirement. Also, as of this post, the Telltale website still doesn't allow you to download the game. I guess this is what I get for supporting the developers directly, huh?

Telltale are always late with their games on their site. It happens every time.

PriitV

I just finished episode 1. Took 2 hours.

Holy shit. This is so much better than I expected. Really really dark and gritty.

I am so excited to get back into this universe. Probably going to check out the comics now and I'm really not a comic guy.
Same feelings here, TellTale really nailed this game, stellar first episode.

Cheddahz

Banned
That first episode was excellent, it sucks to see that Telltale still hasn't figured out how to keep a steady framerate though

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
If it follows a similar release schedule as TWD, expect a new episode around every 2 months.

Dang. I wonder if it's worth just waiting until they all come out and then marathoning the entire thing. That's how I played TWD.

Of course I never bothered to replay it because I had spent a massive 10 hour chunk of time playing through it the first time around. Maybe playing it piecemeal and then going back for a marathon replay is the way to go.

TP17

Yeah I bought TWD after the second episode and ended up playing the first two back to back as I got hooked, the then week wait for the third was painful.

Voror

Not sure if I should wait for some sort of full release either in digital or physical form like TWD or not. Glad to hear it seems I have turned out well though.

jediyoshi

Welp, that was darker than I imagined. I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

My choices this episode:

Gave faith money
Lied to Beast
Helped Toad first (guessing I messed this up)
Didn't say a suspect
Went for Tweedle Dee

Sober

I'm curious, for those that chose Lawrence first,
could you jump out at Dee earlier and not have Lawrence shoot himself? I kinda waited until he got to the books and the prompt disappeared on me. Also kinda weird when you go rooting around at Toad's and find the letter from Faith in the Donkeyskin cloak they don't reference Lawrence being dead earlier in the day.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Not sure if I should wait for some sort of full release either in digital or physical form like TWD or not. Glad to hear it seems I have turned out well though.

Same.

This morning I said I was disappointed by Beyond: Two Souls so I no longer had a GOTY candidate for 2013.

I take that back. This game is now my GOTY candidate.

Yeah, that was fantastic. Very good use of color in the graphics, fantastic noir feel (didn't really expect that), good writing that does exposition well without it feeling out of place.

Would easily recommend.

Old Lace

How do you get the 360 controller to work with the PC version? I downloaded the dll file, but the game doesn't seem to detect it.

Bricky

Well, that was unexpectedly amazing. Always a fan of Telltale's releases (even before TWD became popular, I'm such a gaming hipster) but other than the initial announcement hadn't really read or seen much about this one until the positive reviews started popping up yesterday. Haven't heard about the comics before and I guess I just thought this was going to be that 'bad' kind of Telltale game, but boy did I underestimate them.

It might not really have a moral aspect to its choices, but nonetheless this first episode was at least as good as, if not better in some aspects than, The Walking Dead if you ask me. If they can keep this kind of quality up for an entire season Telltale might have another GOTY-contender on their hands. Highly recommended!

(I also really want to read the comics now, but I might as well play the entire game first since its apparently a prequel)

Silly console plebs, just finished playing at 4K with a buttersmooth 60 FPS :3

First non poker, puzzle agent Telltale game I've played on the PC though, was weird to not experience the constant framerate and hitching issues.

Just finished it, played through in one sitting and definitely kept me hooked the whole time. I can see this topping TWD for me personally, the atmosphere was amazing.
Also, was completely unprepared for that ending. I like that even knowing the comics doesn't stop you getting surprises.

I downloaded it this morning, ansious to get home and play it.

Now TellTale should make a Constantine game (not the current DC mainline, but based on the Vertigo comics).

I did the PC Gamer review, and encountered two very minor framerate stutters during panning camera movements that The Walking Dead had a whole lot more of. It's the same engine, but definitely ran more smoothly for me. Other than that, it ran flawlessly at 1440p. No glitches. Can't comment on the console ports, or if there will be any issues with transferring save files like there were with season 1, but the episode's performance was great.

Good to hear. The killer for TWD was the save game wipe bugs & the way they handled it, as well as the well known telltale engine issues across multiple platforms.
Oh god, that original iPad Sam & Max version...

Like I said, their artistic merit is always super high, but the tech was just so lagging it made for a pretty frustrating experience. Glad to hear it seems they've made some significant steps in that regard.

RazorK1d

If this game is as half as good as the Wal
lace and Gromit
episodes, then I'll be pleased.

Weren't they fantastic? Perfectly captured the show in every way. I have been very pleased with Tell Tales work, specifically Wallace & Grommit, Back to The Future, and The Walking Dead series. This will be the first time that I will plunk down the cash up front for the season instead of waiting for a steam sale 6 months down the line. For all those who have never read a Fables, you owe it to yourself to check out the first trade book. The series is fantastic and I'm really excited to see what Tell Tale will do with this universe.

Zornack

I just finished. That was really, really good. Much better than TWD's first episode and much, much better than I was expecting.

FluxWaveZ

Just finished it as well. That was pretty good. I got this on a whim after hearing about good reviews and having loved TWD and I'm not regretting it.

It's both great and terrible having a new series with which I have to wait a couple of months to play new episodes, anticipating what happens next.

Max O Power

Neo Member
I'm playing it on 360. I'm having a lot of issues. In some scenes it freezes every time the camera cuts. It make the action scenes super hitchy, and unplayable. It's only the screen that fezzes, the game continues, so I miss a lot of the button proms.

Anybody else having these issues?

Acti

My choices this episode:

Gave faith money
Lied to Beast
Didn't say a suspect
Went for Tweedle Dee

Shit dude! You've just told my decisions.

That ending... I loved her.. Like I really did.

clear31

I bought the first episode on the xbox 360 and have $6.84 left on my account, is there no way to just pay the remaining balance to get the pass for the rest of the episodes or do I have to add like 20 bucks to my account??

My choices this episode:

Gave faith money
Lied to Beast
Didn't say a suspect
Went for Tweedle Dee

Mine were

Gave Faith money. Bit me in the ass when I tried to pay for my whiskey at the end
Told both Beauty and Beast that I wasn't a marriage counselor and I kept out of it
Went to Toad first. Probably a bad idea, but his problem sounded more urgent. I guess it wasn't.
Named Woodsman as my suspect to Crane at the very beginning, told Snow later that I suspected Tweedles Dee and Dum.
Grabbed Tweedle Dee at the end, figuring the woodsman's story sort of checked out.

Salih

That was unexpectingly gripping and downright terrific. Telltale know how to tell a fucking tale. I never read the comics but i love the idea of combining well-known fables into one dark and captivating story giving it a whole new and fresh spin.

gameplay is identical to 'The Walking Dead' with a bit more effort put in the QTEs (which are well-made). There are actually no riddles/puzzles - highlights are the interaction with the characters and the plenty decisions you can choose from. This encourages replaying this game numerous times.

Also the ending was unexpected:
I am pretty sure i was not the only one expecting beauty's head on the stairs...i was in shock when i saw snow's head. good to see that noone is safe.

FluxWaveZ

Also the ending was unexpected:
I am pretty sure i was not the only one expecting beauty's head on the stairs...i was in shock when i saw snow's head. good to see that noone is safe.

Yeah,
Beast being withheld by the cop made me think it was gonna be Beauty. Seeing it was Snow immediately made me regret that the response I gave her when she told Bigby to stay safe was "Always" and not "You too."

Shallwhat

Banned
Someone please tell me, I loved the complete season of The Walking Dead game. Will I like this game, should I purchase it? Thanks in advance!

The first episode was a really great introduction to the characters and setting. I loved the murder mystery angle that it took as it gave it a sense of urgency that I wasn't necessarily expecting following a series like The Walking Dead. You really do feel like an outcast among a town of outcasts with the dialogue choices that you're given as well. It really makes the few nicer moments that much more effective. The art direction and synth score are top notch too. I think Telltale nailed one of the best, if not the best, example of adapting comic visuals to a video game. Their use of colors, shading, and mixing 3D and 2D backgrounds is stellar. This was an extremely promising first episode.

Mine were

Gave Faith money. Bit me in the ass when I tried to pay for my whiskey at the end
Told both Beauty and Beast that I wasn't a marriage counselor and I kept out of it
Went to Toad first. Probably a bad idea, but his problem sounded more urgent. I guess it wasn't.
Named Woodsman as my suspect to Crane at the very beginning, told Snow later that I suspected Tweedles Dee and Dum.
Grabbed Tweedle Dee at the end, figuring the woodsman's story sort of checked out.

Yeah, this was pretty much how I did it as well.

I can't believe they pulled the rug from under me with that cliffhanger! Bigby can't catch a break.

Fjordson

I'm playing it on 360. I'm having a lot of issues. In some scenes it freezes every time the camera cuts. It make the action scenes super hitchy, and unplayable. It's only the screen that fezzes, the game continues, so I miss a lot of the button proms.

Anybody else having these issues?
Really? Damn. My friend is having similar issues. Major framerate hiccups that fuck up the fighting scenes.

Might have to hold out in hopes they'll fix it somehow in a patch. Or maybe a PS4 release down the road.

ButchCat

This feels, looks and plays better than Walking Dead, it's a shame it doesn't have the same driving force the WD series had.

(MAJOR SPOILERS FOR FUTURE EPISODES / REGARDING THE COMIC)
So the fact that Snow White is still alive in the comics, as well as the fact that the mirror could not locate Faith, pretty much indicates that neither of them are dead and what we saw is some sort of trick, correct?

Just played the opening sequence, seems like this is going to be one hell of an awesome series.

Question though, is there no 360 controller support on PC for this game? Didn't see an option for it.

Haunted

Just played the opening sequence, seems like this is going to be one hell of an awesome series.

Question though, is there no 360 controller support on PC for this game? Didn't see an option for it.
Walking Dead had excellent native controller support, so it would really surprise me if they had taken it out for this one. Steam says this has controller support.

So... should work.

Top Bottom